Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/14/2016 7:03:19 PM EDT

1980 McDuffie Riot

In the early morning hours of December 17, 1979, police officers pursued thirty-three year-old McDuffie, who was riding a black-and-orange 1973 Kawasaki motorcycle. McDuffie had accumulated traffic citations and was riding with a suspended license. He led police on an eight-minute high-speed chase through residential streets at speeds of over eighty miles per hour. The officers involved in the chase (Ira Diggs, William Hanlon, Michael Watts, and Alex Marrero) later filed a report claiming McDuffie had run a red light and led police on an eight-minute chase. They said that, after McDuffie had lost control of his motorcycle while making a left turn, he attempted to flee on foot. The officers caught him and a scuffle ensued in which McDuffie allegedly kicked Officer Diggs.

By the end of the struggle, the officers had, in the words of the prosecutor at the trial, cracked McDuffie's skull "like an egg."

McDuffie was transported to a nearby hospital where he died four days later of his injuries. The coroner's report concluded that he had suffered multiple skull fractures.

The Officers were found not guilty.

1989 Miami Clement Lloyd/Super Bowl Riot

The night was Jan. 16, 1989, the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday. Miami was set to host the Super Bowl days later, an important event for a tourist city banking on the national spotlight.

Lloyd, 23, a car-wash manager, was speeding his high-powered Kawaski Ninja motorcycle through the streets of Overtown. His passenger: Allan Blanchard, 24, an unemployed construction worker who had just moved to Miami from the Virgin Islands.

Activating his car’s lights and siren, a Miami patrolman tried pulling them over. Lloyd sped up Northwest Third Avenue toward Lozano, who just happened to be stopped on the side of the road taking a report from a citizen.

Lozano squeezed off one shot. The bullet struck Lloyd in the head. The motorcycle plowed into a Buick Regal, hurling Blanchard to the pavement.

Both men died. As investigators and local city officials arrived at the scene, Overtown residents began angrily hurling bottles and rocks.

Within hours, television news vans were torched. A meat market was looted. As police in Ferguson would do a quarter of a century later, officers with riot shields and shotguns streamed to the chaos.

"We’ve been victimized all our lives, and now they’re treating us like animals, with no respect, and especially on this day, Martin Luther King Day,” one Overtown resident said.

When the violence subsided, officials launched a slew of investigations. The Rev. Al Sharpton, already a polarizing civil rights activist, visited Overtown to decry Lozano’s actions — raising many of the same concerns he has repeated with the Ferguson shooting of an unarmed teenager by a white officer.

Ultimately, Dade State Attorney Janet Reno bypassed the grand jury. Instead, prosecutors directly filed two counts of manslaughter with a deadly weapon against Lozano.

Her decision tore Miami apart. Many cops and Hispanics defended Lozano, a Colombia-born patrolman with a clean record.

"The political influence was extremely heavy,” said Black, Lozano’s attorney. "Everybody was concerned about further disturbances and, of course, with the image of Miami and the Super Bowl. That was more important than justice.”

The trial was set to begin in November, just 10 months after the shooting. Despite defense requests, Dade Circuit Judge Joseph Farina refused to move the trial from Miami.

Tension mounted as rallies were staged on both sides. Dade’s community relations board predicted 25 people might die in riots were Lozano acquitted.

"It was a horrible responsibility,” said then-Dade prosecutor John Hogan, who scored a conviction against Koenig and led the state’s efforts against Lozano. "It’s hard to imagine how much stress it caused.”

Courthouse observers predicted a win for Lozano. His lawyers were the prominent and eloquent Black and former cop Mark Seiden. The duo had just won the acquittal of Luis Alvarez, a Miami cop who fatally shot an unarmed man inside an Overtown arcade.

Black and Seiden, however, knew the trial was an uphill battle.

Every day, jurors walked into a Miami-Dade courthouse teeming with heavily armed police officers in the stairwells and snipers on the roof.

"Jurors had a real fear, in my opinion, that a not guilty verdict would cause the city to burn again,” Seiden said.

At trial, five eyewitnesses told jurors that Lozano aimed his pistol at Lloyd, tracking him in a dual-handed combat stance before firing the one calculated shot.

In a halting performance, Lozano took the stand in his own defense. He insisted he stepped onto the street to pull Lloyd over and only fired — a hasty shot from the hip — after the motorcycle bared down on him with no time to spare.

"You ended up, for lack of a different way of putting it, with the black folks with one version of what happened, and the police officers with a different version,” prosecutor Horn recalled.

But Lozano’s account cut against him. The forensic evidence was key. The bullet’s trajectory was downward, which contradicted the hip shot, prosecutors argued.

And over objections, the state was allowed to introduce Lozano’s departmental training that forbid shooting at a moving vehicle. At trial, three expert witnesses also testified that a cop should not enter a street with his gun drawn to pull someone over.

"He knew other options because he had been trained in other options,” Hogan said. "That was an important thing for the jury to know.”

Testimony lasted 13 tense days. And after eight hours, 13 minutes of deliberations, the six-person jury declared Lozano guilty of all counts.

Worried citizens, watching the trial live on television, exhaled. No violence. But that did not end the divide. Some police officers wore black wristbands to protest.

Farina sentenced Lozano to seven years in prison. He was allowed to remain free on bond pending an appeal.

In June 1991, the Third District Court of Appeal reversed Lozano’s conviction.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah..... Miami got fucked during that riot.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#2]
As a Floridian, thanks for sharing!  

The state statute for riots is FSS 870.  Coincidence?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah..... Miami got fucked during that riot.  
View Quote

Thank you for the education.  I honestly knew nothing of this.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Also check out Detroit riot pics 1967-70
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for sharing. My parents were down there in their 20s at the time. My dad picked up an Iver Johnson M1 Carbine during the riots, still has it to this day.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, Janet Reno looks like a more manly version of Rick Moranis but who is also wearing a wig.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#8]
The thing that started it all....

Police Kel Light. It's like a mag light except it is designed to be used as an impact weapon.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#9]
in on 1 of Miami_JBT Miami history thread.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Great post, tag for later viewing
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
Mi Papi was a Special Agent at the time and guarded the Federal Court House in Downtown Miami. He has a picture on his desk of him in a three piece suit with a suppressed Uzi SMG and a sign wishing me well.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mi Papi was a Special Agent at the time and guarded the Federal Court House in Downtown Miami. He has a picture on his desk of him in a three piece suit with a suppressed Uzi SMG and a sign wishing me well.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

my dad was City of Miami police during those riots.  will definitely be showing him this thread.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
my dad was City of Miami police during those riots.  will definitely be showing him this thread.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

DALE!

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Was this the earliest sighting of Fo Dog?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Fo Dog gets around. Mofo must have a ton of airline miles.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the pics

I dont know much about this riot
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#17]

As a kid in the early 1980's I watches a ST Louis cop absolutely destroy a drunkard after a STL cardinals baseball game just outside Bush Stadium.
Cop had that red come light attached thing; it was very effective against that goon.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I was at the MEPS in Miami when this went down.  Watched as cars were burned just a few blocks from the hotel I stayed in.  Helluva thing for a 17 year old to see.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow, thanks for posting this, OP!
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Thank you for sharing those images!

I have an relative that was caught up on the first day of the riot.  She
was a teacher at Miami Edison High School and was driving home when a
group of people surrounded her car and attacked her when she stopped at a
light.  An older black gentleman literally shoved people out of the way and told her to
step on the gas and go.  He may have saved her life.  She drove to my
house with her windows smashed, and a rock still on passenger seat.  She was cut and bleeding all over the
place from small cuts from shards of  glass, but luckily not seriously hurt.    

David
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I had just moved out of Miami, up to Daytona, had just quit working at Eastern.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I have an relative that was caught up on the first day of the riot.  She was a teacher at Miami Edison High School and was driving home when a group of people surrounded her car and attacked her when she stopped at a light.  An older black gentleman literally shoved people out of the way and told her to step on the gas and go.  He may have saved her life.  She drove to my house with her windows smashed, and a rock still on passenger seat.  She was cut and bleeding all over the place from small cuts from shards of  glass, but luckily not seriously hurt.    

David
View Quote

Bottom left of the newspaper page.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Crazy, I know one of cops for sure (he's a dick) and at least one of those guardsman (who was an E8 when I knew him)

Dang that's crazy.  That happened a lifetime ago.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Cool pics, and I don't remember that riot, probably because I was 13 and Mt. St. Helens was in the news. :)

How about a primer on what touched off the riots?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have an relative that was caught up on the first day of the riot.  She was a teacher at Miami Edison High School and was driving home when a group of people surrounded her car and attacked her when she stopped at a light.  An older black gentleman literally shoved people out of the way and told her to step on the gas and go.  He may have saved her life.  She drove to my house with her windows smashed, and a rock still on passenger seat.  She was cut and bleeding all over the place from small cuts from shards of  glass, but luckily not seriously hurt.    

David

Similar situation.  I always find it amazing, how when we are challenged with the worst people or nature have to offer, so many ordinary people step up and do the extraordinary.  The world is full of heroes, and most do not even realize it until after circumstances show how amazing they truly are.        

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Place holder for Cleveland Riots July 2016...
View Quote

GTFO
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Cool pics, and I don't remember that riot, probably because I was 13 and Mt. St. Helens was in the news. :)

How about a primer on what touched off the riots?
View Quote

In the early morning hours of December 17, 1979, police officers pursued thirty-three year-old McDuffie, who was riding a black-and-orange 1973 Kawasaki motorcycle. McDuffie had accumulated traffic citations and was riding with a suspended license. He led police on an eight-minute high-speed chase through residential streets at speeds of over eighty miles per hour.

The officers involved in the chase (Ira Diggs, William Hanlon, Michael Watts, and Alex Marrero) later filed a report claiming McDuffie had run a red light and led police on an eight-minute chase. They said that, after McDuffie had lost control of his motorcycle while making a left turn, he attempted to flee on foot. The officers caught him and a scuffle ensued in which McDuffie allegedly kicked Officer Diggs. By the end of the struggle, the officers had, in the words of the prosecutor at the trial, cracked McDuffie's skull "like an egg."

McDuffie was transported to a nearby hospital where he died four days later of his injuries. The coroner's report concluded that he had suffered multiple skull fractures.

Cops were found not guilty.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Neat thread. Thanks for uploading all of those pics OP. Some things never change it seems...
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

I think I was 12, I only remember because of the story above.  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Miami_riots

This link has some details.  If I remember correctly, McDuffie got into a struggle with some officers while they were trying to arrest him for some traffic infractions and fleeing.  One of the officers applied a flashlight to McDuffie's cranium, resulting in his death.
ETA:  JBT_Miami has a good summary in his post

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

And banged alot of bitches...
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks, OP!
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Pre-ARFCOM ARFCOMMERS, only way to get them out of mom's basement was a riot
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Most likely his Great-Great Granddaddy.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fo Dog is not young or old. He is like time itself. Fluid; able to go back and forth. Be everywhere and nowhere at once. Fo Dog is a watcher  and records all for the Old Gods. The ones that man only now remember as myth and legend. Fo Dog is also a trickster and whispers into the ear of man and encourages chaos. The Old Gods demand entertainment and man is the show.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Fo Dog is not young or old. He is like time itself. Fluid; able to go back and forth. Be everywhere and nowhere at once. Fo Dog is a watcher  and records all for the Old Gods. The ones that man only now remember as myth and legend. Fo Dog is also a trickster and whispers into the ear of man and encourages chaos. The Old Gods demand entertainment and man is the show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#38]
You guys have had them twice down there haven't you?

Tamps/St.Pete had some too! HEck When I was a little kid I remember they had riots in Gainesville, around the 5th avenue area after GPD smoke checked a kid! They cancelled school!

Then all the unrest & chaos they had after Andrew..... I've heard stories from folks that lived down their!
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

As a kid in the early 1980's I watches a ST Louis cop absolutely destroy a drunkard after a STL cardinals baseball game just outside Bush Stadium.
Cop had that red come light attached thing; it was very effective against that goon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

ahhh the glory days of st louis... there would be no blm then...blm would have equaled overflowing E.R.s with prisoners with split heads...
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Tamps/St.Pete had some too! HEck When I was a little kid I remember they had riots in Gainesville, around the 5th avenue area after GPD smoke checked a kid! They cancelled school!

Then all the unrest & chaos they had after Andrew..... I've heard stories from folks that lived down their!
View Quote
A small one in the 90s and also one back in the 60s I think.

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The thing that started it all....

Police Kel Light. It's like a mag light except it is designed to be used as an impact weapon.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ICGCdiIz2RI/T5oIGVJr_tI/AAAAAAAAAAc/yUdzR-E3pRc/s640/DSCN0874.jpg

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq141/20487/C2010/DSC_7199_zpsvp6yrn2m.jpg~original

I remember several Police Chiefs saying they were going to make their officers throw away them damn metal flashlights.

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq141/20487/C2010/DSC_7204_zpshmik4b4u.jpg~original

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I never heard of the riots before.

I was a little busy being a Paratrooper in Italy.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Pre-ARFCOM ARFCOMMERS, only way to get them out of mom's basement was a riot
http://flashbackmiami.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/racialdemonstrationmiami20090121008_a-1.jpg
View Quote

We don't have basements in Florida (very few exceptions)
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#45]
'03 and a mustache, son!

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#46]

Anyone in Ohio remember the Hough riots in Cleveland in 1966. I was very young but remember

hearing about them. Interesting enough is that they started on July 18th 1966. 50 years ago on

Monday.

http://ech.case.edu/cgi/article.pl?id=HR3
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullets and Bricks in '96!  I drove my patrol car, once we got the green light to back up St. Pete PD from Countryside/Dunedin to Tropicana Field in under 15 minutes.

ETA:
Tyron Lewis
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#48]
I remember that.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#49]
What would have happened if he just pulled over?
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 12:02:06 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

What would have happened if he just pulled over?
View Quote

Probably arrested as a Habitual Traffic Offender and he'd be out in the morning.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top