Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 12:07:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Another South Florida educational thread from Miami_JBT.

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 12:11:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Probably arrested as a Habitual Traffic Offender and he'd be out in the morning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What would have happened if he just pulled over?

Probably arrested as a Habitual Traffic Offender and he'd be out in the morning.

I don't even think that's a charge anymore is it?

Remember that from back in the day?

Shit, I remember guys getting more time for "habitual" than armed robbery. No joke.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 12:11:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone catch the "SHELL" station in this pic, looks like somehow that S got hidden behind the street light and it describes the picture perfectly..  

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 12:13:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I see rednecks with guns will always be a part of the anti-looter repertoire.

In this case "crackers with guns".
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 12:25:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, but the homes aren't burned up.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 12:42:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Shit, I remember guys getting more time for "habitual" than armed robbery. No joke.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't done traffic in YEARS. So I have no clue if HTO is even still a thing.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 12:43:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
Those are Cubans. Little Havana was near that. The Red Necks lived in Homestead and the Redlands. About forty miles south west of that.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 1:17:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Those are Cubans. Little Havana was near that. The Red Necks lived in Homestead and the Redlands. About forty miles south west of that.
View Quote

Cuban Rednecks

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:08:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Anyone catch the "SHELL" station in this pic, looks like somehow that S got hidden behind the street light and it describes the picture perfectly..  

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/300029/slide_300029_2508236_free.jpg
View Quote

I'm pretty sure the photographer positioned themselves to frame it like that.

I forgot how almost every other billboard used to be cigarette advertising!  You don't see those anymore.

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:53:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

From a sociological standpoint, this is where differences in culture kick in.

Law-abiding people get to the point in the story where he runs from the cops... and they stop caring.

I don't think it's even a case of them thinking the cops were right, they just don't care.

In some cultures, it's low-lifes and criminals that run from the cops, not "decent" people.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 8:16:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Fo Dog was at the Boston Massacre.

He certainly transcends time.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h367/cheesebeast1/massacre2a_zps98sngqka.jpg

Fo Dog was at the Boston Massacre.

He certainly transcends time.
View Quote

The mute witness to history.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

In the early morning hours of December 17, 1979, police officers pursued thirty-three year-old McDuffie, who was riding a black-and-orange 1973 Kawasaki motorcycle. McDuffie had accumulated traffic citations and was riding with a suspended license. He led police on an eight-minute high-speed chase through residential streets at speeds of over eighty miles per hour.

The officers involved in the chase (Ira Diggs, William Hanlon, Michael Watts, and Alex Marrero) later filed a report claiming McDuffie had run a red light and led police on an eight-minute chase. They said that, after McDuffie had lost control of his motorcycle while making a left turn, he attempted to flee on foot. The officers caught him and a scuffle ensued in which McDuffie allegedly kicked Officer Diggs. By the end of the struggle, the officers had, in the words of the prosecutor at the trial, cracked McDuffie's skull "like an egg."

McDuffie was transported to a nearby hospital where he died four days later of his injuries. The coroner's report concluded that he had suffered multiple skull fractures.

Cops were found not guilty.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool pics, and I don't remember that riot, probably because I was 13 and Mt. St. Helens was in the news. :)

How about a primer on what touched off the riots?

In the early morning hours of December 17, 1979, police officers pursued thirty-three year-old McDuffie, who was riding a black-and-orange 1973 Kawasaki motorcycle. McDuffie had accumulated traffic citations and was riding with a suspended license. He led police on an eight-minute high-speed chase through residential streets at speeds of over eighty miles per hour.

The officers involved in the chase (Ira Diggs, William Hanlon, Michael Watts, and Alex Marrero) later filed a report claiming McDuffie had run a red light and led police on an eight-minute chase. They said that, after McDuffie had lost control of his motorcycle while making a left turn, he attempted to flee on foot. The officers caught him and a scuffle ensued in which McDuffie allegedly kicked Officer Diggs. By the end of the struggle, the officers had, in the words of the prosecutor at the trial, cracked McDuffie's skull "like an egg."

McDuffie was transported to a nearby hospital where he died four days later of his injuries. The coroner's report concluded that he had suffered multiple skull fractures.

Cops were found not guilty.

The good old days of policing that GD always talks about
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The good old days of policing that GD always talks about
View Quote

A'yup.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:26:28 AM EDT
[#15]
My families warehouse was on 17th ave, got burnt to the ground during those riots.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Was that the year Janet Reno transitioned to a woman?
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I was 7 y/o my dad and his cuz had a gas station by Bobby Medero stadium  off of 17 st . My people are wajiros Cuban Rednecks ! My pops load out was a colt Python a Walter ppk m1 carbine and Ithaca model 37
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Good flashlight application.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That picture of the three of them sitting out front guarding the place belongs in the "Is there any tactical application to a single-barrelled shotgun" thread. (the guy in the back)
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I was 7 y/o my dad and his cuz had a gas station by Bobby Medero stadium  off of 17 st . My people are wajiros Cuban Rednecks ! My pops load out was a colt Python a Walter ppk m1 carbine and Ithaca model 37
View Quote
Wajiros don't play.

For those that don't know.

Wajiros are country cubans. They're farmers, cowboys, and hunters.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wajiros don't play.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wajiros don't play.  

So like other country folks, their food is even better? so we're talking about REALLY good cuban sandwiches, right?
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#22]
One of my older cousins was a rookie city of Miami cop back then. he has some good stories about the riots threw out his career .
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for sharing!  I work in some of the areas in those pics and they haven't changed much.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
So like other country folks, their food is even better? so we're talking about REALLY good cuban sandwiches, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wajiros don't play.  

Si

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Law-abiding people get to the point in the story where he runs from the cops... and they stop caring.

I don't think it's even a case of them thinking the cops were right, they just don't care.

In some cultures, it's low-lifes and criminals that run from the cops, not "decent" people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is partially true, but it was also a different time and they probably had fair warning.  We had a couple of police officers that came to my school to establish a "community relationship" with us.  His words of wisdom were something to the effect of "Don't run from the police.  We have radios, and if you make me chase you, I am going to hit you in the head with my flashlight".  They meant it.

The second was the father of someone in my school.  He said when pulled over keep you hands on the wheel, don't move and do exactly as instructed.  If you don't, I will shoot you because I am going home at the end of my shift.  I am sure he was trying to put a little scare into us, but he was killed in the line of duty a few months later during a traffic stop.   Somebody had a suspended license and did not want to go to jail    

This of course was much more progressive than in my dads day.  As he tells it, when he was younger you did not run from the police.  If you ran, you were guilty and would be shot in the back, nobody would ask questions.  

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Thanks for sharing!  I work in some of the areas in those pics and they haven't changed much.
View Quote

I think you are right, i may try to find where those photos were taken see if I can take similar  photos today to see what has changed...

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for sharing. I didn't know a lot about this.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 1:13:40 AM EDT
[#28]
night crew bump for what is a riotous weekend so far.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#29]
1989 Miami  Clement Lloyd/Super Bowl Riot

The night was Jan. 16, 1989, the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday. Miami was set to host the Super Bowl days later, an important event for a tourist city banking on the national spotlight.

Lloyd, 23, a car-wash manager, was speeding his high-powered Kawaski Ninja motorcycle through the streets of Overtown. His passenger: Allan Blanchard, 24, an unemployed construction worker who had just moved to Miami from the Virgin Islands.

Activating his car’s lights and siren, a Miami patrolman tried pulling them over. Lloyd sped up Northwest Third Avenue toward Lozano, who just happened to be stopped on the side of the road taking a report from a citizen.

Lozano squeezed off one shot. The bullet struck Lloyd in the head. The motorcycle plowed into a Buick Regal, hurling Blanchard to the pavement.

Both men died. As investigators and local city officials arrived at the scene, Overtown residents began angrily hurling bottles and rocks.

Within hours, television news vans were torched. A meat market was looted. As police in Ferguson would do a quarter of a century later, officers with riot shields and shotguns streamed to the chaos.

"We’ve been victimized all our lives, and now they’re treating us like animals, with no respect, and especially on this day, Martin Luther King Day,” one Overtown resident said.

When the violence subsided, officials launched a slew of investigations. The Rev. Al Sharpton, already a polarizing civil rights activist, visited Overtown to decry Lozano’s actions — raising many of the same concerns he has repeated with the Ferguson shooting of an unarmed teenager by a white officer.

Ultimately, Dade State Attorney Janet Reno bypassed the grand jury. Instead, prosecutors directly filed two counts of manslaughter with a deadly weapon against Lozano.

Her decision tore Miami apart. Many cops and Hispanics defended Lozano, a Colombia-born patrolman with a clean record.

"The political influence was extremely heavy,” said Black, Lozano’s attorney. "Everybody was concerned about further disturbances and, of course, with the image of Miami and the Super Bowl. That was more important than justice.”

The trial was set to begin in November, just 10 months after the shooting. Despite defense requests, Dade Circuit Judge Joseph Farina refused to move the trial from Miami.

Tension mounted as rallies were staged on both sides. Dade’s community relations board predicted 25 people might die in riots were Lozano acquitted.

"It was a horrible responsibility,” said then-Dade prosecutor John Hogan, who scored a conviction against Koenig and led the state’s efforts against Lozano. "It’s hard to imagine how much stress it caused.”

Courthouse observers predicted a win for Lozano. His lawyers were the prominent and eloquent Black and former cop Mark Seiden. The duo had just won the acquittal of Luis Alvarez, a Miami cop who fatally shot an unarmed man inside an Overtown arcade.

Black and Seiden, however, knew the trial was an uphill battle.

Every day, jurors walked into a Miami-Dade courthouse teeming with heavily armed police officers in the stairwells and snipers on the roof.

"Jurors had a real fear, in my opinion, that a not guilty verdict would cause the city to burn again,” Seiden said.

At trial, five eyewitnesses told jurors that Lozano aimed his pistol at Lloyd, tracking him in a dual-handed combat stance before firing the one calculated shot.

In a halting performance, Lozano took the stand in his own defense. He insisted he stepped onto the street to pull Lloyd over and only fired — a hasty shot from the hip — after the motorcycle bared down on him with no time to spare.

"You ended up, for lack of a different way of putting it, with the black folks with one version of what happened, and the police officers with a different version,” prosecutor Horn recalled.

But Lozano’s account cut against him. The forensic evidence was key. The bullet’s trajectory was downward, which contradicted the hip shot, prosecutors argued.

And over objections, the state was allowed to introduce Lozano’s departmental training that forbid shooting at a moving vehicle. At trial, three expert witnesses also testified that a cop should not enter a street with his gun drawn to pull someone over.

"He knew other options because he had been trained in other options,” Hogan said. "That was an important thing for the jury to know.”

Testimony lasted 13 tense days. And after eight hours, 13 minutes of deliberations, the six-person jury declared Lozano guilty of all counts.

Worried citizens, watching the trial live on television, exhaled. No violence. But that did not end the divide. Some police officers wore black wristbands to protest.

Farina sentenced Lozano to seven years in prison. He was allowed to remain free on bond pending an appeal.

In June 1991, the Third District Court of Appeal reversed Lozano’s conviction.

Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#30]

Princess barbecue is still there, they built the metro rail over it and the area around it is mostly empty lots or gutted buildings, heres a pic of a abandoned cemetery down the street.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Bump due to the North Miami Shooting..... will BLM be able to make their parents and grandparents proud?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Bump due to the North Miami Shooting..... will BLM be able to make their parents and grandparents proud?
View Quote

Hispanic cop and victim received a settlement 1 day after being shot, this one gets swept under the rug.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wajiros don't play.  

Sounds like good people to me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#34]
bump it because I want to
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
How long before we have Zika inspired rioting due to quarantine and zombies.

Link Posted: 8/3/2016 5:02:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will it be strong enough to keep New Yorkers away!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top