Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#1]
DR, KLR, XR, WR, DR-Z take your pick.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My default answer is to say KLR650.  Why? Cheap, parts everywhere, reliable as a hammer,  upright position, and you don't need to "grow out of it". It's all the bike you'll probably ever need.

but that might be my confirmation bias talking.  The downsides are that it's big, can be heavy, and it's terrible for most people on single track. it's decent on the road though.

many people will advocate starting smaller,  Yamaha WR250, DRZ400 something.  this is not bad advice.  Smaller bikes ARE easier to manage and easier to learn on. At at 60,  with 45+ years of no bike under you, you are learning.

It all comes down to being HONEST what you want to do with it.  If you're mostly road with some trails,  a KLR is going to serve you very very well. It's bigger and heavier which makes it better on the road.  I've ridden a WR250 on the freeway, and besides the fact I'm 6'5" and I looked a monkey humping a football, it was not very good on the freeway. it was actually scary.

DRZ400 is better.   it's faster and has more power but it's bigger.

I ride the road mostly, with some fire roads and the occasional single track. I'm huge so the KLR on single track i can manage, but it's outstanding on the road, for a dual sport. It gets about 48MPG. I have modified it to be more docile on the road, 16 tooth front sprocket to drop the rpms on the freeway,  more padded seat, upgraded suspension.  

look at the DRZ400,  DR650 and KLR650.  If you go the 650 route I'd recommend the KLR, just cause parts are SO common and cheap.  DR's are great, but getting big tanks on them is harder than the stock 6.5 on the KLR.  The XR650l has a tiny tank, the XR650R is FANTASTIC offroad but it's a kick start, which is a pain in the ass.  

I love my bikes,  both dual sports,  KLR650 *heavily* modded for long range and off road prowess, it's perfect, and a more refined Italian dual sport that nobody knows about, AWESOME bikes,  but heavy and very road oriented. It's not even a dual sport, it's an adventure tourer.  Aprilia Caponord 1000.  They are cheap to buy, awesome to ride.

my KLR650.  After the 16 tooth sprocket,  seat kit and Rox anti-vibration bars,  it'll do 4 hours on the freeway no problem, and then tear around in the dirt at hunt camp for the week and then back,  easy.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x229/crashburnrepeat/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-02%20at%206.36.29%20PM.png

View Quote

Just caught this post.

Sounds right up my alley.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Any of the sport touring bikes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#4]

A little out of op's prove range but maybe a used triumph tiger?

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I had one. It was great.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
KLR650 or SV650

Both are not only great beginner bikes but are good enough to keep you entertained for years. Plus, there are lots of used ones.

This or a Kawasaki Versys with knobby tires.

Gets great reviews by every publication in circulation. I personally don't like the aesthetics but can't argue with it's performance.

I had one. It was great.

I've watched or read a dozen reviews on it and every single one basically imply you're a moronic a hole if you din't buy it but I'm not a dual sport guy so I have an out.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Here's one near me:

Why would you have a bike "professionally lowered"?
Is that like getting a 4x4 Escalade and lowering it?  

https://bend.craigslist.org/mcy/5627322214.html
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Go ride a Versys, a Yamaha FJR, then ride the KLR,DRZ,etc. Post ride feedback if you do.

And read adv rider for days, to over think purchase even more.

Find a budget for riding pants, coat/jacket, gloves and some kind of boots. And a good full face helmet.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was not sure how to respond to Pikeslayer's post....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have this. Way funner than any motorcycle I used to own.

https://scootinoldskool.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/vespa_gts_super.jpg?w=500
And like a really really fat girl - you don't want anyone to see you with either .....

I was not sure how to respond to Pikeslayer's post....
There was no other way....except go pure GD on it ..... anyway back to your thread  

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Go ride a Versys, a Yamaha FJR, then ride the KLR,DRZ,etc. Post ride feedback if you do.

And read adv rider for days, to over think purchase even more.

Find a budget for riding pants, coat/jacket, gloves and some kind of boots. And a good full face helmet.
View Quote

I would say I have an almost unlimited budget for the riding/safety gear. Wife is not thrilled about the bike plan, but understands. She laid down the law on the training class(es) and gear, however!

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Dirt/Gravel Roads ok?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SV650 is what you seek. It's a great beginner bike that you won't outgrow super fast. Not a dual sport but way more fun on the street then a dual sport is.

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/jpg/200710/2008-suzuki-sv650-2w.jpg

Dirt/Gravel Roads ok?
They do alright on dirt and gravel but they ain't a diet bike for sure.  If you really need something more capable off road maybe a Gladius 650? You have to be careful when you pick a bike for off road use. If you get something light and small it will suck on the highway.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Here's one near me:

View Quote
A lot of people lower bikes,  dual sports have high seats.  Klr is a great bike but it's a tall heavy bitch.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
KLR650 or SV650

Both are not only great beginner bikes but are good enough to keep you entertained for years. Plus, there are lots of used ones.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Op, when I started riding back in 2003 they were several recomendations given to me as a first timer.

They were

250cc Ninja
500cc Ninja
SV 650

I ultimately bought a 1998 Honda CBR 600 F3. It was a carbed model and didn't have the valve chain tensioner issues like the F4s and F4i's had. I really wanted a GSXR600 or 750 but I didn't like their riding position all that much. I looked at Yamaha R6s and FZR 600's, but their engines weren't as smooth as the Honda's.

I doubt you will be able to find one but the F3 wasn't a 600 that was going to bite you very hard if you got too liberal with the throttle.

And for those with keen eyes, that's a tank off of the Canadian version called a fire blade. The old tank had somthing fall on it so the owner opted to replace it with a used one.

also Op, avoid doing this

but if you do, you can always put it back together.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A lot of people lower bikes,  dual sports have high seats.  Klr is a great bike but it's a tall heavy bitch.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's one near me:

I'd imagine I'll lose some travel? I like the price...
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#15]
The KLR650 is a solid choice.
Many others have said this.
In 1979 I purchased a new Honda XL-500, I was 19, also had a 1964 bone stock Harley XLCH.
At the time, I actually put more miles on the Honda, had a LOT of trails and HUGE abandoned strip mines to play in.
It could cruise on the hi-way at 80 mph all day.
I'd get me a KLR-650 IF I had somewhere to off road, just be careful, not a kid anymore, probably why I'll stick to my Trusty H-D.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's one near me:

A lot of miles on that one for only 1/2 the price of a new one....I'd keep looking

I bought a 08 DR650 with 500 miles on it in 2010.
Paid $4500 for it.    It will probably last me the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#17]
https://kpr.craigslist.org/mcy/5634393719.html - 1/2 the miles and cheaper.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A lot of miles on that one for only 1/2 the price of a new one....I'd keep looking

I bought a 08 DR650 with 500 miles on it in 2010.
Paid $4500 for it.    It will probably last me the rest of my life.
View Quote

Thanks just getting started on this! I figure I have a month.  I suspect I can find one by then.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's one near me:

If it were me I'd be looking for a stock/non molested one.  There are tons of those bikes out there,  don't rush into the wrong bike because it's there.  Personally I wouldn't buy a bike that's been lowered or had the sprockets changed.  It's just one more thing to go wrong.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The Versys (KLE) will run 80 all day at 40+ mpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's my take....

I am a MSF Rider Coach.  That doesn't make me a great rider, nor does it give me any special qualifications.  On the other hand, I've seen a little over 2,000 novice riders, and witnessed a lot of the mistakes.....

A dual sport is likely a good choice.  The upright seating position works well, especially for those of us who are past 45....   Power and handling levels are also pretty good, without the abruptness of a sport bike.  My current ride is a BMW F650GS and its a great bike.  The Vstrom 650 is a really nice contender too.  Both may be more heavy and larger than you are looking for as a novice bike.

The KLR650 is a solid choice.  Yes its a 650, but it generates about 35 HP.  This is nothing like the 70+/- HP you'll get out of a F650GS or the Vstrom.  You can find one for $3000-4000 easily, and they are cheap and easy to maintain.  Its not a true 'dirt bike', so it really isn't suitable for heavy duty riding in the single tracks, but its totally up to any logging roads, etc.  Its also not a true long distance tourer:  The power (lack of) and vibration are a bit much for long hauls at high speeds (65+ mph).  But overall, its a compromise bike that sort of does okay at everything.  Decent on gravel log gin roads, fine at 55mph on two lanes. .  It will do everything you have listed in the OP.  

There are various dual sport 200-250 class bikes.  These are better at woods and trails, but I wouldn't want to actually do any more than absolutely necessary on roads with one.  If the KLR is underpowered at 35 HP, these little bikes seem to need a tail wind, down hill run, and a good push to get up to street speeds.  There are exceptions (Yamaha WR250r) but these are pricier.  We have a Suzuki DR200 at our training site.  Absolute top end, down hill, with the tail wind, seems to be about 45 mph when its wound right out.  The KLR is a better choice.

In all honesty, you'd be hard pressed to do better than the KLR for your outlined use, and at the outlined price.

Thanks for this. I do need something that can run at least 60 MPH on the highway without being totally spun out.

The Versys (KLE) will run 80 all day at 40+ mpg

If you plan on riding in the road 90-100% of the time the Versys or Vstrom are good choices for what you want.  They are more than the KLR and are pretty much a dedicated road bike.  Locally one can get a brand new 2015 KLR for $5000 OTD.  That is very tempting.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://kpr.craigslist.org/mcy/5634393719.html - 1/2 the miles and cheaper.

View Quote

Thank you.... Damn. If I can get a reasonable bike for $3,000 (with someone else's accessories) I'll be very happy.

My latest MT. Bike cost...um...more than that.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#22]
This thread is relative to my interests..... Any KTM riders here? I've been eyeballing their endure 500.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Be careful about small bikes, I bought a cb300f earlier this year as my first bike, and I regret it sooo much.
It's waaay too slow. It may seem like a safe choice to go small, but it's much less safe in traffic IMO, because
you cannot move out of danger, and you can't pass for shit. My next bike will probably be an FZ-09 later this year.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
KLR650 or SV650

View Quote

This, I want a KLR but the wife is convinced I need a harley to match hers.

Speed
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd go with a V-Strom 650.  I really want one for a second bike.

The 650 single cylinder dual sports do OK off-road, but they are quite uncomfortable on the road, and underpowered.  The little 200-250 bikes are fun off-road and around town, but are completely worthless on the highway.  You would be selling and upgrading in a matter of weeks.  Believe me.

Unless you plan on doing the vast majority of your riding off-road, the V-strom (or something similar) would be a MUCH better everyday bike.

Don't be scared of something with reasonable power.  Luckily, you can conveniently control the power output with your right wrist.  If you are going too fast, just let off the gas.  You're not a 17 year old jumping on a 1000cc sportbike, so everything mentioned is completely within your limits.  It is not about power, it is all about being responsible, and judging by your age and type of bike you are looking for, this won't be an issue.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
For your age and stature I think the new Honda 1100 standard would be a great starter bike for you.  You would never out grow it and when you decide to try something else it would still be a good motorcycle to keep on hand.

I ride bikes like this off road lots of times in WV. You would be surprised at the places it will go.

http://www.airmototours.com/275/honda-cb-1000-ex.jpg

View Quote

oooh, takes me back to my youth, I actually like this a LOT!

Speed
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:30:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Why Dual Sport? I live in Central Oregon. We are kind of an island, but we have AWESOME fire roads and other places that a street bike would fail, but a full on dirt bike is not needed. I don't plan on racing!

I'll probably ride it to work (in town, less than 10 miles, top speed 35 mph) and to the lakes (less than 50 miles, top speed, whatever my cautious nature can handle) and to the range/orv trails (about 20 miles, open road)

View Quote

KLR 650
The negative side, is it's a tall bike.
The positive side, is that since it's your first bike, you can drop it 87 times, and it'll look the same.

ETA: The best part, is if you buy a 95, or a 2005, it''s the exact same bike!  
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Here's one near me:

View Quote

I am guessing they are doing more on road and in town riding than dirt/single track.

Speed
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Thanks for this. I do need something that can run at least 60 MPH on the highway without being totally spun out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's my take....

I am a MSF Rider Coach.  That doesn't make me a great rider, nor does it give me any special qualifications.  On the other hand, I've seen a little over 2,000 novice riders, and witnessed a lot of the mistakes.....

A dual sport is likely a good choice.  The upright seating position works well, especially for those of us who are past 45....   Power and handling levels are also pretty good, without the abruptness of a sport bike.  My current ride is a BMW F650GS and its a great bike.  The Vstrom 650 is a really nice contender too.  Both may be more heavy and larger than you are looking for as a novice bike.

The KLR650 is a solid choice.  Yes its a 650, but it generates about 35 HP.  This is nothing like the 70+/- HP you'll get out of a F650GS or the Vstrom.  You can find one for $3000-4000 easily, and they are cheap and easy to maintain.  Its not a true 'dirt bike', so it really isn't suitable for heavy duty riding in the single tracks, but its totally up to any logging roads, etc.  Its also not a true long distance tourer:  The power (lack of) and vibration are a bit much for long hauls at high speeds (65+ mph).  But overall, its a compromise bike that sort of does okay at everything.  Decent on gravel log gin roads, fine at 55mph on two lanes. .  It will do everything you have listed in the OP.  

There are various dual sport 200-250 class bikes.  These are better at woods and trails, but I wouldn't want to actually do any more than absolutely necessary on roads with one.  If the KLR is underpowered at 35 HP, these little bikes seem to need a tail wind, down hill run, and a good push to get up to street speeds.  There are exceptions (Yamaha WR250r) but these are pricier.  We have a Suzuki DR200 at our training site.  Absolute top end, down hill, with the tail wind, seems to be about 45 mph when its wound right out.  The KLR is a better choice.

In all honesty, you'd be hard pressed to do better than the KLR for your outlined use, and at the outlined price.

I run mine on the freeway at 85 no problem since I went to the 16 tooth sprocket.  I go from Provo to Malad Idaho with only one stop for drinks and stuff.  I have Rox risers on there to lift the bars,  DS714 anti vibration grips and the 16 tooth.  it's perfectly fine.  It loafs at 60mph.  at 80 mph I'm turning just under 5K rpm.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
At your age, you should have it all.  R1200GSA.

http://cdn.pinthiscars.com/images/2015-bmw-r1200gsa-wallpaper-3.jpg
View Quote

Came here to post this one as well. Damn versatile bike. Lots of guys in my BMW club ride these & are awed by them. Many swap tires back & forth: street to off-road.

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/bike/enduro/2015/f800gs/f800gs_overview.html¬rack=1

Or the F800 GS..................  
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Suzuki DRZ-400S. Awesome bikes

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Here's one near me:

View Quote

KLRs are tall at the seat,  so a lot of shorter riders need them lowered. They are fantastic for tall people though. I'm 6'5" and I love how tall my KLR is,  I have the tall seat, the Cogent Dynamics rear shock and when I cruise by a big lifted F350,  the driver and I are at the same height.  It's nice cause I can see the road really well at the height. I think you said you were 6'2"?  Tall bike is nice.  It's very easy to reverse the lowering kit if you get a lowered one.  Four bolts under the back wheel, a set of Eagle Mike KLR lift links or stock links and you're back in the game.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Since OP is looking to do some trail riding and is essentially a new rider, I highly recommend you stay away from the more street oriented bikes like the V-Strom and Versys.  While great bikes, you are going to drop these on the trail and you will cry when it comes time to fix all the damage.  Something more along the Suzuki DR or Honda XR line will be more forgiving of being dumped.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Sounds like one of the Japanese dual sports is right up your alley. Kawasaki KLR 650, Suzuki DR650, Honda  XLR650. All are classic simple proven machines. I bought a dr650 and love it. Had 6k miles and was 3,000$

Quoted:

/thread
Unless you want something a little more dual-sporty, then you get the Suzuki DR650 (same engine in a taller more upright chassis with longer travel suspension)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SV650 is what you seek. It's a great beginner bike that you won't outgrow super fast. Not a dual sport but way more fun on the street then a dual sport is.

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/jpg/200710/2008-suzuki-sv650-2w.jpg

/thread
Unless you want something a little more dual-sporty, then you get the Suzuki DR650 (same engine in a taller more upright chassis with longer travel suspension)

Not even close to the same motor.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Aside from one being a 5 speed, carbed, air cooled single and the other being 6 speed, EFI, liquid cooled V-twin you can barely tell them apart
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Hayabusa with a stretch kit for stability.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:35:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yamaha r1
View Quote

Turbo busa, stretched, 100hp shot.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Don't fall for the 250 cc crap. Buy something that you will want to ride

for years.

My first street bike was a new 98 Suzuki Bandit 1200, by 600 miles I had pulled the

engine, swapped the head and cams and had 135hp at the rear wheel.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Aside from one being a 5 speed, carbed, air cooled single and the other being 6 speed, EFI, liquid cooled V-twin you can barely tell them apart
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Twin makes a lot more power too. Almost double I think.

That being said I would love to see it happen
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Ducati Hypermotard
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's probably confusing the Klr with the Gladius.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:39:33 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I do like those.

But I'd have to get a divorce first if that was my "starter" bike.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

At your age, you should have it all.  R1200GSA.

http://cdn.pinthiscars.com/images/2015-bmw-r1200gsa-wallpaper-3.jpg

I do like those.

But I'd have to get a divorce first if that was my "starter" bike.

Sounds like a Win Win to me!  

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:44:41 AM EDT
[#44]
OP!!!

Found your bike. Just do it!

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/5640009989.html

This is not a bad price. I've been shopping 1150GS's to keep commuting miles off my 2016 GSA. Most are in the 4-5K range.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
OP!!!

This is not a bad price. I've been shopping 1150GS's to keep commuting miles off my 2016 GSA. Most are in the 4-5K range.

View Quote

I cringe every time I see that many miles on a used bike. I know they can do more than double that but if they haven't been taken care that's a lot of miles.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Hyabusa.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Any really upright dirtbike (drz or ktm) will not be a fun highway commuter.  Klr or dr650 are pigs for anything other than gravel roads. Can they do smaller trail...sure but you are going to drop them and they are well over 300 pounds.

I owned a drz400, fantastic bike, needs a 6th gear and loose 30 pounds.

I now own a ktm 350 xcf-w.  You want a 350 ktm excf.  

Very light, streetable, has a sixth gear for the highway.  The 350 does not lack in power in the least.

Edit: the lighter dirtbike like the drz or ktm tend to feel unstable or get "blown around" on highways at 75mph.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:55:54 AM EDT
[#48]

Came here to say this.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#49]
OP is your wife EVER going to want to ride with you? Take a ride or trips? If so a dual sport will suck. As in wife will never want to ride.

I geared my wife up. I got Scala Rider bluetooth sets for helmets. We could talk, take calls, phone media Playlist,etc.
I have several riding jackets, a riding parka, several sets of pants,etc if you need something to start with. It would be easy to drop 2K on gear.

In for the results if OP bike.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I cringe every time I see that many miles on a used bike. I know they can do more than double that but if they haven't been taken care that's a lot of miles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP!!!

In 1983 I bought a new BMW R80G/S when I lived in CO. I put 91K miles on that bike, sold it in 1991 to a guy in Atlanta that still has it and still rides it. It now has well over 300K on the clock, I saw him on it at a BMW dealer event last fall. Regular maintenance is the key but those boxer engines have a lot of life built into them.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top