Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/19/2003 9:42:26 AM EDT
I am looking at some chicken and pork, and dreaming of the good old days of Subic Bay and monkey meat on the stick. Anyone know the recipe? TIA dave
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:47:21 AM EDT
Yes. 1. Combine monkey, stick, and fire. 2. Eat monkey off stick.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:48:17 AM EDT
Does monkey really taste like chicken? [puke]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:52:28 AM EDT
[url]www.lutongbahay.com/[/url] Hope this helps. BTW Monkey meat is just a nickname. It is not actually monkey meat. It is however, the cheapest cut of beef that you can find. Heavily seasoned and grilled. It has been rumoured that monkey meat on a stick is sometimes made of dog or horse meat.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:53:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By thedave1164: I am looking at some chicken and pork, and dreaming of the good old days of Subic Bay and monkey meat on the stick. Anyone know the recipe? TIA dave
View Quote
Wow. My buddy was just telling me about this the other day. He was in the Navy and said that they used to get off the ship and head directly for the meat on a stick dude. They called it monkey meat too. He also mentioned a beer that was native and pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:56:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By dave223: He also mentioned a beer that was native and pretty good.
View Quote
That would be San Miguel or Red Horse. Funny thing about Filipino beer is that, quality control has a lot left to be desired. There are bottles where alcohol content is minimal and time where 2 bottles will get you drunk as a skunk.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:56:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/19/2003 9:58:52 AM EDT by osprey21]
[b]Philippine street vendor style "Monkey Meat" [/b] The marinade you're looking for is 7Up,believe it or not. Usually the meat is pork sliced thinly, "woven" onto a wooden skewer and marinated overnight in 7-Up, garlic, soysauce or whatever other spice suits your taste. I personally like to add a little cayenne pepper to give a little "hot" to the meat. You can use monkey if you like, but it's a darker meat and you need to marinate longer to get rid of the wild taste.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:57:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By dave223: Wow. My buddy was just telling me about this the other day. He was in the Navy and said that they used to get off the ship and head directly for the meat on a stick dude. They called it monkey meat too. He also mentioned a beer that was native and pretty good.
View Quote
San Miguel beer wasn't that good, just cheap! and readily available.....
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:59:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By dave223:
Originally Posted By thedave1164: I am looking at some chicken and pork, and dreaming of the good old days of Subic Bay and monkey meat on the stick. Anyone know the recipe? TIA dave
View Quote
Wow. My buddy was just telling me about this the other day. He was in the Navy and said that they used to get off the ship and head directly for the meat on a stick dude. They called it monkey meat too. He also mentioned a beer that was native and pretty good.
View Quote
San Miguel would be the most likely culprit although if your buddy prefered a malt liquor, then it would be Red Horse.......But if you wanted to get blitzed on the cheap, stop by Mariposa and have a pitcher or 3 of Bullfrog or Mojo.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:07:26 AM EDT
San Miguel is the one he was talking about. He has so many funny ass sea stories about his time in. I missed out on a lot by not joining the service. [:(]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:10:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By dave223: San Miguel is the one he was talking about. He has so many funny ass sea stories about his time in. I missed out on a lot by not joining the service. [:(]
View Quote
Yeah, you missed out on the clap, and some other social diseases....... Actually it was a different experience, but you don't pull into Subic Bay any more. Most of the stories you have heard are probably true.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:12:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By osprey21: [b]Philippine street vendor style "Monkey Meat" [/b] The marinade you're looking for is 7Up,believe it or not. Usually the meat is pork sliced thinly, "woven" onto a wooden skewer and marinated overnight in 7-Up, garlic, soysauce or whatever other spice suits your taste. I personally like to add a little cayenne pepper to give a little "hot" to the meat. You can use monkey if you like, but it's a darker meat and you need to marinate longer to get rid of the wild taste.
View Quote
I believe that is what I was looking for! I knew I would find it here!!!!!!!! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:15:11 AM EDT
mmmmmm Filipino food......
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:44:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:17:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 007_Eleven: It has been rumoured that monkey meat on a stick is sometimes made of dog or horse meat.
View Quote
Ahh.. Same thing those NYC street vendors are selling, except they call it shish-kabobs [puke]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:34:26 AM EDT
View Quote
Good old shit city, (Olongopo). That wasn't monkey meat, it was dog or cat. I knew a vendor there. Not bad either..[:D]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:48:55 AM EDT
mmmmmm...monkey...ughughgughlll... Bilster
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:52:54 PM EDT
Monkey meat on a stick and some Kim Chee! UUmmmmmmmm.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:57:02 PM EDT
First of all, where does one buy genuine monkey meat? That seems to big the biggest hurdle to jump. Plus, monkeys are expensive and illegal to import except for scientific purposes. I've heard of monkey farms down south, but I've never confirmed this.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:59:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:23:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:24:01 PM EDT
And we don't all eat dogs either, dammit! (OK, maybe the people who lived in the province where Clark Air Base was located ate dogs, but they were weird f**kers anyway.) [:D] Hmm, roast loin of chihuahua...
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:29:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:29:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By lordtrader: You want to go really native with Filipino cuisine. You need to try balut. That's all I'm saying. Sad, but my being Filipino, I know the history. I know the language, I can even understand the dialect from my parents province. I know the culture. However, I do not know how to cook very many Filipino dishes.
View Quote
nothing to be ashamed of LT, cooking Filipino dishes is a woman's job, all you need is to find a nice Filipina woman, but I know your not attracted to Filipina women. [LOL]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:00:48 AM EDT
Damn...liberty in Olangapo...who da thunk we'd be talking about that! At one time, the best adult playground in the world. (1966-1968-1969-1976-1985) <> [:D]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:38:52 PM EDT
Top Top