Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2003 9:42:26 AM EDT
I am looking at some chicken and pork, and dreaming of the good old days of Subic Bay and monkey meat on the stick.

Anyone know the recipe?

TIA

dave
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

1.  Combine monkey, stick, and fire.
2.  Eat monkey off stick.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Does monkey really taste like chicken?
[puke]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#3]
[url]www.lutongbahay.com/[/url] Hope this helps.

BTW Monkey meat is just a nickname. It is not actually monkey meat. It is however, the cheapest cut of beef that you can find. Heavily seasoned and grilled. It has been rumoured that monkey meat on a stick is sometimes made of dog or horse meat.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:53:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am looking at some chicken and pork, and dreaming of the good old days of Subic Bay and monkey meat on the stick.

Anyone know the recipe?

TIA

dave
View Quote

Wow. My buddy was just telling me about this the other day. He was in the Navy and said that they used to get off the ship and head directly for the meat on a stick dude. They called it monkey meat too. He also mentioned a beer that was native and pretty good.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
He also mentioned a beer that was native and pretty good.  
View Quote

That would be San Miguel or Red Horse. Funny thing about Filipino beer is that, quality control has a lot left to be desired. There are bottles where alcohol content is minimal and time where 2 bottles will get you drunk as a skunk.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#6]
[b]Philippine street vendor style "Monkey Meat"
[/b]

The marinade you're looking for is 7Up,believe it or not.  Usually the meat is pork sliced thinly, "woven" onto a wooden skewer and marinated overnight in 7-Up, garlic, soysauce or whatever other spice suits your taste.  
I personally like to add a little cayenne pepper to give a little "hot" to the meat. You can use monkey if you like, but it's a darker meat and you need to marinate longer to get rid of the wild taste.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Wow. My buddy was just telling me about this the other day. He was in the Navy and said that they used to get off the ship and head directly for the meat on a stick dude. They called it monkey meat too. He also mentioned a beer that was native and pretty good.  
View Quote

San Miguel beer wasn't that good, just cheap! and readily available.....
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone know the recipe?

TIA

dave
View Quote

View Quote

San Miguel would be the most likely culprit although if your buddy prefered a malt liquor, then it would be Red Horse.......But if you wanted to get blitzed on the cheap, stop by Mariposa and have a pitcher or 3 of Bullfrog or Mojo.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#9]
San Miguel is the one he was talking about. He has so many funny ass sea stories about his time in. I missed out on a lot by not joining the service. [:(]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
San Miguel is the one he was talking about. He has so many funny ass sea stories about his time in. I missed out on a lot by not joining the service. [:(]
View Quote

Yeah, you missed out on the clap, and some other social diseases.......

Actually it was a different experience, but you don't pull into Subic Bay any more.

Most of the stories you have heard are probably true.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
[b]Philippine street vendor style "Monkey Meat"
[/b]

The marinade you're looking for is 7Up,believe it or not.  Usually the meat is pork sliced thinly, "woven" onto a wooden skewer and marinated overnight in 7-Up, garlic, soysauce or whatever other spice suits your taste.  
I personally like to add a little cayenne pepper to give a little "hot" to the meat. You can use monkey if you like, but it's a darker meat and you need to marinate longer to get rid of the wild taste.  
View Quote

I believe that is what I was looking for!

I knew I would find it here!!!!!!!!

[:D]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#12]
mmmmmm Filipino food......
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:44:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:17:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It has been rumoured that monkey meat on a stick is sometimes made of dog or horse meat.
View Quote

Ahh.. Same thing those NYC street vendors are selling, except they call it shish-kabobs [puke]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:34:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Anyone know the recipe?

TIA

dave
View Quote

Good old shit city, (Olongopo). That wasn't monkey meat, it was dog or cat. I knew a vendor there. Not bad either..[:D]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:48:55 AM EDT
[#16]
mmmmmm...monkey...ughughgughlll...

Bilster
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Monkey meat on a stick and some Kim Chee! UUmmmmmmmm.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#18]
First of all, where does one buy genuine monkey meat?  That seems to big the biggest hurdle to jump.

Plus, monkeys are expensive and illegal to import except for scientific purposes.  I've heard of monkey farms down south, but I've never confirmed this.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#21]
And we don't all eat dogs either, dammit!

(OK, maybe the people who lived in the province where Clark Air Base was located ate dogs, but they were weird f**kers anyway.)

[:D]

Hmm, roast loin of chihuahua...
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You want to go really native with Filipino cuisine. You need to try balut. That's all I'm saying.

Sad, but my being Filipino, I know the history. I know the language, I can even understand the dialect from my parents province. I know the culture. However, I do not know how to cook very many Filipino dishes.
View Quote

nothing to be ashamed of LT, cooking Filipino
dishes is a woman's job, all you need is to
find a nice Filipina woman, but I know your not
attracted to Filipina women. [LOL]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:00:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Damn...liberty in Olangapo...who da thunk we'd be talking about that!  At one time, the best adult playground in the world.

(1966-1968-1969-1976-1985)

<>  [:D]

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top