User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Entitlement?

Its been standard at every school I have attended to allow those who would likely finish their requirements over the summer to walk with the class.
View Quote

My buddy got to walk at Graduation for his bachelor's degree. He was 1 class shy of graduating and he had already enrolled for the summer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

They let you walk for the photo op. you dont actually get a diploma. The dog and pony show is all just a photo op and means nothing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
my High-School did this to me. I fell a credit short in Government because I missed one day to many. Had to take the class in the summer to get my diploma. They refused to let me walk.

Such Bullshit.

So they should have let you walk the stage 1 credit short, but what about the guy who was only a half credit behind you?  Should he have been permitted to walk too?  If so, what about the guy that was just a half credit behind him?

The school didn't do anything to you.  You are the one who failed to meet the minimum standard before the graduation ceremony.

They let you walk for the photo op. you dont actually get a diploma. The dog and pony show is all just a photo op and means nothing.

They should probably let the Olympian who finished 4th stand on the podium for the dog and pony photo op because, you know, it doesn't really matter.  To the student that failed to meet the minimum standard it probably doesn't mean much or they would have met the standard, but to the students that DID meet the standard it is the distinction between being a winner and being a loser.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Graduating classes are organized into years that students graduate.  With that being said, if she is really 1/2 credit short, there are options for the school to have her make up for it.  I'm guessing there is more to the story here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
“It’s nothing against the class of 2017,” said Krueger, “but I want to walk with my class.”

Graduating classes are organized into years that students graduate.  With that being said, if she is really 1/2 credit short, there are options for the school to have her make up for it.  I'm guessing there is more to the story here.

There is, I've seen several videos of girls in those situations.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

My middle school gym teacher taught me that there is an exception to every rule.  I had 21 credits at the end of my senior year at a school that requires 24 credits to graduate.  I had transferred in at about the halfway point in the year and every other school I had attended only required 21 credits.  I was granted a waiver and graduated on time with my class without having to petition the administration.

Hell, we had autistic kids that only ever want to school for half days and didn't do much more than art classes that also got their diplomas on time.  I understand that their diplomas will likely never mean anything (I don't intend to sound mean or rude), but it is an exception nontheless.

Life and it's rules aren't quite as black and white as some of you seem to think.  In the one cop thread over the last few days a LEO told us he can use his discression in anything but felonies and DV.  Im not siding with the girl or the administration, I dont care enough nor do I have a horse in the race, but merely want to point out the fact that life is not so clear cut and dry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“It’s not that she hasn’t done the work, it’s medical,” said Gina Sheridan, Hailey’s mom, “it’s an exception.”

You either finished, or you didn't, there's no in between.

My middle school gym teacher taught me that there is an exception to every rule.  I had 21 credits at the end of my senior year at a school that requires 24 credits to graduate.  I had transferred in at about the halfway point in the year and every other school I had attended only required 21 credits.  I was granted a waiver and graduated on time with my class without having to petition the administration.

Hell, we had autistic kids that only ever want to school for half days and didn't do much more than art classes that also got their diplomas on time.  I understand that their diplomas will likely never mean anything (I don't intend to sound mean or rude), but it is an exception nontheless.

Life and it's rules aren't quite as black and white as some of you seem to think.  In the one cop thread over the last few days a LEO told us he can use his discression in anything but felonies and DV.  Im not siding with the girl or the administration, I dont care enough nor do I have a horse in the race, but merely want to point out the fact that life is not so clear cut and dry.

It's one thing to ask for an exception to be made.  It's another thing to bitch about it when you're denied that exception.  If she wanted to ensure that she could walk at graduation, rather than relying on an exception to be made for her to do so, she should have completed the requirements.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

But muh feels!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Entitlement?

Its been standard at every school I have attended to allow those who would likely finish their requirements over the summer to walk with the class.

Not at my HS.
My buddy was half credit short.
Graduated the next year.

But muh feels!!!

Exactly.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I want to walk with her. Or at least share the guest of honor position at the party her mom is throwing for her. I realize I don't go to school with her and it's not supposed to be my party, and honestly, I never completed high school. I'm just asking for a exception.
View Quote

Can I come with you.?

I finished High School, got some sort of Diploma, but we did not have any sort of "Graduation Ceremony" as is custom here.

Shit, you just cleaned out your locker, waved to the maintenance crew, and out the door.

Get a job, go to College, whatever.

So, I feel specul, can I go to graduation too? We could go shooting after. And then some drinking...

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I owed something like $20 to my tech college and they told me that I could walk, but would get a blank piece of paper.  I told them to get screwed, paid my $20 and took my diploma.  I didn't give a $hit about walking.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#8]
"But ....... but ....... I'm "exceptional".
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Krueger and her mom say this is their final plea before they move on to another option.
View Quote

The other option being STFU
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe if she spent less time choosing her tattoo, and more time working with the school on getting that 1/2 credit, she would be on that stage.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So they should have let you walk the stage 1 credit short, but what about the guy who was only a half credit behind you?  Should he have been permitted to walk too?  If so, what about the guy that was just a half credit behind him?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
my High-School did this to me. I fell a credit short in Government because I missed one day to many. Had to take the class in the summer to get my diploma. They refused to let me walk.

Such Bullshit.

What if all your friends are a year older and you self-identify as a person with enough credits to graduate? Are people such hateful bogota that they would deny you a proper graduation?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's one thing to ask for an exception to be made.  It's another thing to bitch about it when you're denied that exception.  If she wanted to ensure that she could walk at graduation, rather than relying on an exception to be made for her to do so, she should have completed the requirements.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

“It’s not that she hasn’t done the work, it’s medical,” said Gina Sheridan, Hailey’s mom, “it’s an exception.”

I agree with you, but I also have first hand experience with a lot of school administrations that deserved every headache they've had to deal with, too.  I just don't have the capacity to care about either of the parties involved or develop feelings either way.  I just wanted to share my personal experience with some of the absolutists' we have here for some context and consideration.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I have no problem with not letting her walk. I also recommend skipping the stupid ceremony.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Give her a participation diploma.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't think she necessarily feels entitled. I think she just wants to share the event with the people she spent the last three (or more) years of her life with.

I had more than the required credits going into my senior year and could have graduated in December.

But I signed up for a few more classes for second semester just to be with my friends, many of whom had been my classmates since Kindergarten.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

and sympathy cheerleaders from the peanut NUT-FREE gallery

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Entitlement?

Everyone gets a medal.
 and a sex change

and sympathy cheerleaders from the peanut NUT-FREE gallery

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Fixt. Can't have peanuts in schools, might be a kid nearby that is allergic, even to the word "peanut".....

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Entitlement?

View Quote

I agree with this.   a half credit she can do over the summer.

this is a standard practice not an fsa thing.  a friend of mine who is completing an engineering phd at a top 10 school is walking this month even though he isn't defending his thesis until the summer (possibly later).
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Holy fucking entitlement!!!

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/front-range/thornton/district-denies-senior-with-learning-disability-the-chance-to-walk-during-graduation-ceremony

THORNTON, Colo. - A Mapleton district senior won’t be able to graduate or walk with her class just a half a credit short of meeting requirements.

“It’s not like I’m asking to graduate this year,” said Hailey Krueger, who goes to the Mapleton Expeditionary School of the Arts in Thornton. “I’m just asking to walk with my class.”

Krueger has epilepsy and this school year she learned she also has a learning disability.

She admits her grades have gone down, along with missing school whenever she has seizures.

However, with just half a credit short of meeting the requirements, she doesn’t understand why she can’t at least participate with the rest of her class as she works to complete her senior year.

A spokesperson issued the following statement to Denver7 through email regarding the situation:

“We have a Board of Education policy (IKFB) which clearly states that only students who have completed their graduation requirements can take part in the graduation ceremony. We want all of our students to be successful, so as soon as they complete their required credits, they can graduate. The student has the option to take part in the graduation ceremony with the class of 2017 if she has completed enough credits at that time.”

“It’s nothing against the class of 2017,” said Krueger, “but I want to walk with my class.”

Her mom has written letters to the district, including doctor’s notes, and sought advice from the U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division regarding the American Disabilities Act.

“I’m not asking that she graduate,” said Sheridan, “I’m not asking that they let go of the half a credit, we’re just asking to let her walk on stage like any other teenager.”

When asked whether Krueger would walk with the class of 2017, she said she isn’t sure, especially because she plans to complete her credit requirements by next fall and then head to Grand Junction for college.

Krueger and her mom say this is their final plea before they move on to another option.

“When she gets her diploma in October we’re going to throw her our own graduation party and our own graduation ceremony if she doesn’t get to walk ,” said Sheridan.

View Quote

1/2 a credit short, and its not even a real school?

Enjoy being a stripper!
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:47:30 AM EDT
[#20]
jesus fucking christ. stop complaining. go to credit recovery or aventa and complete your credits. then go walk with your class. it's literally that easy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Am I the only one who finds it strange that she wasn't able to get that half credit on weekends + after school + extra work assignments?

I mean I've seen people who graduated with all the requirements and they could hardly function via disabilities.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:50:15 AM EDT
[#22]
A friend of mine had neglected to take his state mandated english equivalency exam
up until the week before graduation and just made it in by the skin of his teeth.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:54:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Boo fucking Hoo!! My son pulled the same shit last year.  Fucked himself over because he didn't finish his online class. Thought he "did good enough" to get a passing grade. Course required completion, then it was graded.  He's also too damned smart to listen to his parents that told him he fucked up, deal with it.
He had to take a summer school class at the "adult re-education center" and then walk at the "Rainbow Graduation" ceremony where all the schools from our district walk together in robes from their respective school.
There was one tense moment. I thought I was going to have to blade at one bitch with the school when she said he couldn't graduate because it was the "Adult Education Center" where he completed the credit.  Showed her the paperwork from the school that directed students to go there and told her to STFU and mind her own business.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Putting up a big stink to get a stupid piece of paper on a wooden platform?

Didn't bother me not "graduating" with my class a semester early.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Putting up a big stink to get a stupid piece of paper on a wooden platform?

Didn't bother me not "graduating" with my class a semester early.
View Quote

That's because you don't get it, highschool is the most important time of a person's life. You wouldn't understand.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

this is a standard practice not an fsa thing.  a friend of mine who is completing an engineering phd at a top 10 school is walking this month even though he isn't defending his thesis until the summer (possibly later).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Entitlement?

This is high school, not college.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I can understand the sentiment of wanting to walk with the people you've spent the last 12 or more years of school with. I see a big difference between a student who is a half credit short due to medical problems vs some dumb shit with sophomore or junior credits on graduation day. If it were up to me I'd let her walk but then again my diploma came in the mail so I don't really care either way.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Such Bullshit.
View Quote

So you repeatedly skipped school and flunked your class and did not meat the requirements to graduate and it's the SCHOOL'S fault they wouldn't let you graduate?

Hell, my school was retarded and fucked up my schedule EVERY semester, by that I mean they would "forget" to schedule half my classes then run out when I'de try to get it fixed.  My "class" for a couple of semesters was helping the janitors because they ran out of seats in every possible class.  How the fuck do you "forget" to schedule a students classes, and make the same mistake, with the same student, every single semester?  But despite all that I STILL graduated on time.  So that tells me you were what?  A D average and flunked half your classes?  My schedule was crap and I was harassed by the ghetto rat punks the whole time yet I still managed to get good grades and graduate like I was supposed to, what's your excuse?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My niece has severe learning disabilities. Low IQ certainly and diagnosed with mental retardation
Now lives in a trailer next to her parents house. Will never be able to function independently  

Of course, struggled through school. But she was, by gosh, there every day, tried her best.
Hour bus ride there. Hour bus ride back
Never in trouble. Never missed a day. Meek and horribly shy
Poor thing has absolutely no self esteem due to her limitations

But by law she HAD to attend. They kept passing her through to the next grade

Found out after 12 yrs of this that they wouldn't let her graduate

I think for students with THOSE type of disabilities, they should participate in the ceremonies
Maybe put some kind of grade on the diploma
View Quote

A diploma is not a participation trophy, you either meet the requirements or you don't.  It sounds like she worked hard and I applaud her for that, but as you say it was just a legal thing and makes no difference, she did her part, that is all.  You don't get a diploma just for showing up, you have to pass.  If she can get a diploma then what about the next person who simularly failed the requirements do they get one too?  How about the next person?  Why even bother showing up and trying if they are just giving out diplomas regardless?  The diploma would become meaningless.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#31]
On one hand....

I finished high school a year early and had 30 college credits to my name before ever donning the cap and gown. There is virtually zero excuse to not graduating with the number of credits required.

On the other hand...

A girl I knows completely retarded, vegetative state sister (Rett Syndrome), "graduated" with her and walked. Seeing as she cannot speak and demonstrates zero learning capability- I'm not sure what she accomplished while "in school".

Public school is such a sham that if she has intentions to finish- I don't see the harm. High school is an exceptionally meaningless circle jerk anymore that means next to nothing in the real world. I didn't even want to go to my graduation because I thought the celebration of the mediocre was stupid, but was forced because my mother would have thrown a fit had I not walked.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I didn't go to my HS graduation. I hated every goddamned motherfucking second in that place, from the other students who bullied me to the teachers who would grade according to how much they liked you to the dipshit administrator who put me in a week of ISS because I needed to change my pad and the sub wouldn't let me go to the bathroom to do so (and so I ran to the bathroom anyway). The second I learned I never had to go back, I didn't.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#33]
She is an Honorary PhD for organizational skills in her future. People with more debilitating issues than she has, have done more.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Entitlement?

View Quote

Same with my experience.

You don't get your diploma, but you can walk as long as you are on track to graduate during the summer session.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#35]
They should let her walk.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree.  

Don't give her the leather bound folder with her diploma in it yet though.  Pin this on her gown.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I agree.  

Don't give her the leather bound folder with her diploma in it yet though.  Pin this on her gown.

http://gretachristina.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341bf68b53ef0148c6912f37970c-800wi
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.  

http://gretachristina.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341bf68b53ef0148c6912f37970c-800wi

It's high school. Most of the schools in my area let the dumb kids who need an extra summer walk with everyone else. It's really not a big deal, especially for someone with documented health issues and is only 1/2 a credit short.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then move into her district, and vote for school board reps that agree with you.  Otherwise MYOB.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#39]
My sister in law walked even though she was flunking out at UCSD. Even got a big graduation party thrown for her.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm on board with this comment.  You have a student with a significant medical condition who needs a half credit to graduate.  It does not seem unreasonable to allow her to walk during the graduation ceremony.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Entitlement?

I'm on board with this comment.  You have a student with a significant medical condition who needs a half credit to graduate.  It does not seem unreasonable to allow her to walk during the graduation ceremony.

I agree under the circumstances. If the kid was just a douche, no love.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Who the hell wants to? It's a fucking joke, I skipped my college graduation because college was a joke too.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Such Bullshit.
View Quote

No.

It is not called bullshit.

They are called requirements. You either meet the requirements or you do not meet the requirements.

9.5 is not 10.

10 is 10.

Pull your big girl panties up and deal with it.

This is a shining example of why we are in the sad shape we are in as a nation today.

We are no longer in the age of reason. We are now in the age of feelings and "micro aggression" where everyone is a victim...
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#43]
you can literally make up an entire semester's worth of credits in a week using computer based credit recovery
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#44]
I went to an ABC,F High school.  Meaning there was no D you got a C or you failed. Lots of kids didn't make the grade and were pushed on to other schools.  The minimum credits to graduate basically allowed you to fail a class or two every semester though.  So it took quite a bit not to make it.

Then again if this girl has epilepsy and possibly some other disability I'm sure that comes into play a lot.

However, if she was that sick her friends should be helping her or throwing another ceremony to make sure she feels included.

So my guess is snowflake.  After she milked and shamed the system I'm sure it hurt realizing actual retarded kids were going to graduate on time and she wasn't.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Entitlement?

View Quote

same here.  We had three kids who were not quite done who had to take a single credit of summer school to finish that all walked with us.  They got the little leather binder,  but no diploma inside was all.

Was not a big deal,  and I don't see why they are making it one.  Just let her walk with the rest since it's a medical issue.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
While I would let her walk if it was my choice, I also don't think them enforcing the rules they have on the books is worth a media outcry either.
View Quote

Well said
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You know the difference between a good excuse and a bad excuse?

Nothing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You did not meet the requirements for graduation so you did not graduate with your class, and therefore you were not allowed the privilege of participating in the graduation ceremony. Yeah, such bullshit.

Want to guess why schools have to draw lines regarding the number of days missed or number of credits required?

Do you know that there are actually students that graduate with more than the minimum number of credits required? Do you know there are students that have enough foresight to not wait until the last minute before they address a problem and then expect special accommodations for their lack of planning?

If they let this student walk in the ceremony, will she wear a cap and gown like the rest?  What does that say to the rest of the class that actually had their shit together?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Such Bullshit.

You did not meet the requirements for graduation so you did not graduate with your class, and therefore you were not allowed the privilege of participating in the graduation ceremony. Yeah, such bullshit.

Want to guess why schools have to draw lines regarding the number of days missed or number of credits required?

Do you know that there are actually students that graduate with more than the minimum number of credits required? Do you know there are students that have enough foresight to not wait until the last minute before they address a problem and then expect special accommodations for their lack of planning?

If they let this student walk in the ceremony, will she wear a cap and gown like the rest?  What does that say to the rest of the class that actually had their shit together?
I had a B in the class. It was all over attendance. I missed 9 days, the limit was 8. I had to retake the entire class in summer. Would have been nice to walk with my class but its all history and old news now. I don't think there is harm in letting someone walk, just hold their diploma until it is earned. Irony is my picture is still on the hallways wall with my entire class.

When they made it clear I couldn't walk I didn't argue it. I drove to Chicago and partied all night with another friend who didnt get to walk. 20 years later I have a successful business built from scratch built by Obama/Government.. [WRONG].and never thought of it again until I read this thread. (sorta - my son graduates in two weeks and I was glad to know I would see him walk - that may have been the only other time this issue hit my mind)

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So you repeatedly skipped school and flunked your class and did not meat the requirements to graduate and it's the SCHOOL'S fault they wouldn't let you graduate?

Hell, my school was retarded and fucked up my schedule EVERY semester, by that I mean they would "forget" to schedule half my classes then run out when I'de try to get it fixed.  My "class" for a couple of semesters was helping the janitors because they ran out of seats in every possible class.  How the fuck do you "forget" to schedule a students classes, and make the same mistake, with the same student, every single semester?  But despite all that I STILL graduated on time.  So that tells me you were what?  A D average and flunked half your classes?  My schedule was crap and I was harassed by the ghetto rat punks the whole time yet I still managed to get good grades and graduate like I was supposed to, what's your excuse?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Such Bullshit.

Good for you. Maybe you should have learned to fucking read.

You assume a lot. Its not hard to get A's and B's in Highschool. Shit-  I could have went two days a week and still had a B average. It was a attendance thing only.I didn't complain but still felt it was bullshit. I misjudged my missed days and it bit me. I can guarantee you not one person in my class would have cared if they let me walk- and then received my Diploma after retaking the class and making the hours. I had passed the class - it was high school government/constitution, just missed one day to many.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#50]
What a joke let the girl walk. My school let anyone walk at commencement ID they finished, or were projected to finish from Dec-Aug.

Some people finished a semester early, they didn't walk until June. Some people were going to finish once they caught that last class in the summer. They still walked. There's only one ceremony and it's important.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top