Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/9/2016 9:30:15 AM EDT
Holy fucking entitlement!!!

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/front-range/thornton/district-denies-senior-with-learning-disability-the-chance-to-walk-during-graduation-ceremony

THORNTON, Colo. - A Mapleton district senior won’t be able to graduate or walk with her class just a half a credit short of meeting requirements.

“It’s not like I’m asking to graduate this year,” said Hailey Krueger, who goes to the Mapleton Expeditionary School of the Arts in Thornton. “I’m just asking to walk with my class.”

Krueger has epilepsy and this school year she learned she also has a learning disability.

She admits her grades have gone down, along with missing school whenever she has seizures.

However, with just half a credit short of meeting the requirements, she doesn’t understand why she can’t at least participate with the rest of her class as she works to complete her senior year.

“It’s not that she hasn’t done the work, it’s medical,” said Gina Sheridan, Hailey’s mom, “it’s an exception.”

A spokesperson issued the following statement to Denver7 through email regarding the situation:

“We have a Board of Education policy (IKFB) which clearly states that only students who have completed their graduation requirements can take part in the graduation ceremony. We want all of our students to be successful, so as soon as they complete their required credits, they can graduate. The student has the option to take part in the graduation ceremony with the class of 2017 if she has completed enough credits at that time.”

“It’s nothing against the class of 2017,” said Krueger, “but I want to walk with my class.”

Her mom has written letters to the district, including doctor’s notes, and sought advice from the U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division regarding the American Disabilities Act.

“I’m not asking that she graduate,” said Sheridan, “I’m not asking that they let go of the half a credit, we’re just asking to let her walk on stage like any other teenager.”

When asked whether Krueger would walk with the class of 2017, she said she isn’t sure, especially because she plans to complete her credit requirements by next fall and then head to Grand Junction for college.

Krueger and her mom say this is their final plea before they move on to another option.

“When she gets her diploma in October we’re going to throw her our own graduation party and our own graduation ceremony if she doesn’t get to walk ,” said Sheridan.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:35:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Entitlement?

Its been standard at every school I have attended to allow those who would likely finish their requirements over the summer to walk with the class.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Entitlement?

Its been standard at every school I have attended to allow those who would likely finish their requirements over the summer to walk with the class.
View Quote

Everyone gets a medal.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#3]

“It’s not that she hasn’t done the work, it’s medical,” said Gina Sheridan, Hailey’s mom, “it’s an exception.”
View Quote

You either finished, or you didn't, there's no in between.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Entitlement?

View Quote

Not at my HS.
My buddy was half credit short.
Graduated the next year.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Entitlement?

View Quote

I'm on board with this comment.  You have a student with a significant medical condition who needs a half credit to graduate.  It does not seem unreasonable to allow her to walk during the graduation ceremony.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#6]
double tap
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Not seeing that big of a deal.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:39:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not at my HS.
Graduated the next year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Entitlement?

Not at my HS.
Graduated the next year.

But muh feels!!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I knew cats 25 years ago that were talking 2 or 3 summer school classes just to graduate, and they walked at the graduation ceremony.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

But muh feels!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Entitlement?

Not at my HS.
Graduated the next year.

But muh feels!!!

Yep.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#11]
my High-School did this to me. I fell a credit short in Government because I missed one day to many. Had to take the class in the summer to get my diploma. They refused to let me walk.

Such Bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#12]
she plans to complete her credit requirements by next fall and then head to Grand Junction for college.
View Quote

I see that learning disability that was newly discovered has had a big impact on her plans...
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:46:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Mom is quoted as saying the girl will be getting her diploma in October. It doesn't appear she is taking Summer classes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Have her work after school and on weekends to make up that credit.  Otherwise, deal with not meeting the requirements.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't have a problem with the girl walking. It could be worse.

My dad failed a girl in two semesters of Chemistry in a row her senior year. She asked for a grade change so she could graduated, he refused, she went to the Dean, the Dean said to my dad, "But her parents already bought plane tickets." My dad refused again and the Dean signed it over his head anyway (despite the form requiring his signature). My dad retired right before the next semester started in anger.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm on board with this comment.  You have a student with a significant medical condition who needs a half credit to graduate.  It does not seem unreasonable to allow her to walk during the graduation ceremony.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Entitlement?

I would let her walk.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
“It’s nothing against the class of 2017,” said Krueger, “but I want to walk with my class.”
View Quote

Graduating classes are organized into years that students graduate.  With that being said, if she is really 1/2 credit short, there are options for the school to have her make up for it.  I'm guessing there is more to the story here.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Holy fucking entitlement!!!

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/front-range/thornton/district-denies-senior-with-learning-disability-the-chance-to-walk-during-graduation-ceremony

THORNTON, Colo. - A Mapleton district senior won’t be able to graduate or walk with her class just a half a credit short of meeting requirements.

“It’s not like I’m asking to graduate this year,” said Hailey Krueger, who goes to the Mapleton Expeditionary School of the Arts in Thornton. “I’m just asking to walk with my class.”

Krueger has epilepsy and this school year she learned she also has a learning disability.

She admits her grades have gone down, along with missing school whenever she has seizures.

However, with just half a credit short of meeting the requirements, she doesn’t understand why she can’t at least participate with the rest of her class as she works to complete her senior year.

A spokesperson issued the following statement to Denver7 through email regarding the situation:

“We have a Board of Education policy (IKFB) which clearly states that only students who have completed their graduation requirements can take part in the graduation ceremony. We want all of our students to be successful, so as soon as they complete their required credits, they can graduate. The student has the option to take part in the graduation ceremony with the class of 2017 if she has completed enough credits at that time.”

Her mom has written letters to the district, including doctor’s notes, and sought advice from the U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division regarding the American Disabilities Act.

“I’m not asking that she graduate,” said Sheridan, “I’m not asking that they let go of the half a credit, we’re just asking to let her walk on stage like any other teenager.”

When asked whether Krueger would walk with the class of 2017, she said she isn’t sure, especially because she plans to complete her credit requirements by next fall and then head to Grand Junction for college.

Krueger and her mom say this is their final plea before they move on to another option.

“When she gets her diploma in October we’re going to throw her our own graduation party and our own graduation ceremony if she doesn’t get to walk ,” said Sheridan.

View Quote

Found the problem...
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
my High-School did this to me. I fell a credit short in Government because I missed one day to many. Had to take the class in the summer to get my diploma. They refused to let me walk.

Such Bullshit.
View Quote

So they should have let you walk the stage 1 credit short, but what about the guy who was only a half credit behind you?  Should he have been permitted to walk too?  If so, what about the guy that was just a half credit behind him?

The school didn't do anything to you.  You are the one who failed to meet the minimum standard before the graduation ceremony.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Boo hoo.  My heart bleeds for her.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#21]
While I would let her walk if it was my choice, I also don't think them enforcing the rules they have on the books is worth a media outcry either.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

"Do or Do Not.  There is no Try"

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I believe Yoda said something along those lines..

Lol, this reminds me that way back when, my ex didn't get her degree from college, but they still let her walk, and she never went back for the one class to get her degree. She of course blamed her shortcoming on me...

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Unless you stay woke her father may seek revenge.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Everyone gets a medal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Entitlement?

Everyone gets a medal.
 and a sex change
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
 and a sex change
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Entitlement?

Everyone gets a medal.
 and a sex change

and sympathy cheerleaders from the peanut gallery

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#27]
I want to walk with her. Or at least share the guest of honor position at the party her mom is throwing for her. I realize I don't go to school with her and it's not supposed to be my party, and honestly, I never completed high school. I'm just asking for a exception.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Entitlement?

View Quote
Well, clearly, you went to some different schools than other folks did, with different rules.

Your schools may have been more used to dealing with special snowflakes than most.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Entitlement?

View Quote

Not at mine . My brother skipped school as a senior to hang out with his girlfriend and missed by 1 credit.  He git it during summer school.  He got a diploma and is a graduate.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Everyone gets a medal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Entitlement?

Everyone gets a medal.

NO. It is tradition. Jeez.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#31]

My HS gave a buddy of mine who didn't have enough credits to graduate a choice:

1) Graduate next year and receive HS diploma

2) Walk across stage with our class, but receive a blank piece of paper......and take GED test instead.

He got his GED that summer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Entitlement?

View Quote

Pretty normal
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:13:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

So they should have let you walk the stage 1 credit short, but what about the guy who was only a half credit behind you?  Should he have been permitted to walk too?  If so, what about the guy that was just a half credit behind him?

The school didn't do anything to you.  You are the one who failed to meet the minimum standard before the graduation ceremony.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Such Bullshit.

They let you walk for the photo op. you dont actually get a diploma. The dog and pony show is all just a photo op and means nothing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#34]
My niece has severe learning disabilities. Low IQ certainly and diagnosed with mental retardation
Now lives in a trailer next to her parents house. Will never be able to function independently  

Of course, struggled through school. But she was, by gosh, there every day, tried her best.
Hour bus ride there. Hour bus ride back
Never in trouble. Never missed a day. Meek and horribly shy
Poor thing has absolutely no self esteem due to her limitations

But by law she HAD to attend. They kept passing her through to the next grade

Found out after 12 yrs of this that they wouldn't let her graduate

I think for students with THOSE type of disabilities, they should participate in the ceremonies
Maybe put some kind of grade on the diploma
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Entitlement?

Everyone gets a medal.

You have to meet some requirements first.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Skip the stupid ceremony...  good gravy, no one cares...  
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:16:56 AM EDT
[#37]
that's real retarded
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Entitlement?

View Quote

I did that in college. I still had to take a few electives during the summer term, but they let me walk in the spring. Although I wouldn't have complained if they told me I couldn't.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#39]

When I graduated college not all of my last semester's professors had turned in their final grades by the time of the ceremony. Therefore I got to participate in the ceremony but didn't get my actual diploma until the following week when they were turned in.

Let her participate and finish up over the summer would be my opinion.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Assuming she didn't fail a class, she and her mother have known since the beginning of the semester that she was going to be a half a credit short.  I suspect there was a teacher somewhere in the school who would have volunteered to supervise some kind of independent study with maybe an hour or two of classroom time on Saturdays.  This wait-to-the-last-minute-and-whine bullshit is just that.  They should have done their begging back in December.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:23:59 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Such Bullshit.
View Quote
Show up to class and it won't be a problem.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Had to go to summer school after my senior year for Analysis.

I got to participate in the commencement, but no diploma in the holder until I made the grade.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Such Bullshit.
View Quote

You did not meet the requirements for graduation so you did not graduate with your class, and therefore you were not allowed the privilege of participating in the graduation ceremony. Yeah, such bullshit.

Want to guess why schools have to draw lines regarding the number of days missed or number of credits required?

Do you know that there are actually students that graduate with more than the minimum number of credits required? Do you know there are students that have enough foresight to not wait until the last minute before they address a problem and then expect special accommodations for their lack of planning?

If they let this student walk in the ceremony, will she wear a cap and gown like the rest?  What does that say to the rest of the class that actually had their shit together?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My niece has severe learning disabilities. Low IQ certainly and diagnosed with mental retardation
Now lives in a trailer next to her parents house. Will never be able to function independently  

Of course, struggled through school. But she was, by gosh, there every day, tried her best.
Hour bus ride there. Hour bus ride back
Never in trouble. Never missed a day. Meek and horribly shy
Poor thing has absolutely no self esteem due to her limitations

But by law she HAD to attend. They kept passing her through to the next grade

Found out after 12 yrs of this that they wouldn't let her graduate

I think for students with THOSE type of disabilities, they should participate in the ceremonies
Maybe put some kind of grade on the diploma
View Quote

That's just cold.

The story in OP sounds an awful lot like a special snowflake story though.  I've seen lots of "my condition" e cusses for not trying.  The kid was lazy abs failing before anything happened.  The condition was just an excuse.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Around here if you are short credits that can be made up during summer school. You can walk the stage and get your picture taken, family show up, etc.
You don't actually get your diploma till after you finish the summer classes. I don't see the big deal about letting a student walk in that case.
It appears this girl is waiting till the following school year to get the half a credit, if that's the case then that's on her and she should accept the consequences.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Entitlement?

View Quote
This.  As long as she commits to finishing up with summer school I don't see the harm.  It's freaking high school, not MIT.  

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

My middle school gym teacher taught me that there is an exception to every rule.  I had 21 credits at the end of my senior year at a school that requires 24 credits to graduate.  I had transferred in at about the halfway point in the year and every other school I had attended only required 21 credits.  I was granted a waiver and graduated on time with my class without having to petition the administration.

Hell, we had autistic kids that only ever want to school for half days and didn't do much more than art classes that also got their diplomas on time.  I understand that their diplomas will likely never mean anything (I don't intend to sound mean or rude), but it is an exception nontheless.

Life and it's rules aren't quite as black and white as some of you seem to think.  In the one cop thread over the last few days a LEO told us he can use his discression in anything but felonies and DV.  Im not siding with the girl or the administration, I dont care enough nor do I have a horse in the race, but merely want to point out the fact that life is not so clear cut and dry.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Entitlement?

View Quote

My principal hated me so much she claimed I had to make up three days of "Saturday" school at the end of the year to graduate.
And since those three days fell after graduation I wasnt allowed to walk with my class even though I had already paid for all the graduation stuff,etc.
Went to all three days of Saturday school and was sent away every day after roll was taken as I wasnt on the rolls. After the third day I went to the office to collect my diploma and the bitch was like huh guess I made a mistake.

Took twenty years but the crooked bitch finally got busted for embezzling money.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#49]
If you graduate during the summer, then you are usually allowed to walk. Sounds like their school has crappy rules.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

They let you walk for the photo op. you dont actually get a diploma. The dog and pony show is all just a photo op and means nothing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Such Bullshit.

Of course it means something. That is why it is held. If the ceremony was meaningless then why is the student making such an issue about it that she went to the media to plead her case?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top