Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/3/2016 3:53:14 PM EDT

Backstory:
Bought a Dixie Chopper Pursuit 36" Walk-behind mower from a Kawasaki/Polaris/Dixie Chopper dealer nearby. Used the 0% for 48mos deal that Sheffield is offering. The idea was to pick up 3 or 4 customers, get my boys involved in the "business," and turn it over to them when the oldest is 16 so they can build it and/or pay their way through college. I'd been looking at it and thinking about it since late in the season last year and finally decided to buy it and make it happen since the boys will be starting summer break soon.

Anyway, took it home, sharpened the blades, adjusted the deck, do two passes test cut on a 1/3 acre, perfectly manicured, lush, suburban lawn (light work for any mower), notice it's drifting to the right, pull it into the garage, mower stops moving (engine still runs).

I show up at the dealer the next morning to complain. The salesman (who I know personally) comes to get it to repair it under warranty and, before he drives away, I tell him "Feel free to keep it and tear up our contract, I don't want to see that thing again."

Long story short, every time I see them or talk to them on the phone (getting repair updates), I ask them if they'll take it back. They decline every time and claim that it's up to Dixie Chopper to "approve" a refund or something (they never go into detail on that). I call Dixie Chopper territory manager and he claims it's strictly between me and the dealer.

Question: Is it unreasonable to expect them to refund me the money for that mower? The tires still have the vent spews on 'em. 3.2 total hours on the machine and I put *maybe* .5 on it. To be clear, the mower was delivered to me with 2.x on the hour counter.

The bracket

UPDATE: Ok, sounds like I'm probably asking a little much. I'll get it back, make sure it works, maybe put it up for sale or something and take the loss.

Thanks for the replies. I'll go with the Ferris next time.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Do a charge back on your CC.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:55:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do a charge back on your CC.

View Quote
It's not a CC. I wish now that I had just written a check or used a CC but my cheap butt couldn't resist that free money.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#4]
you own it

gonna have to let warranty do its work
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Backstory:
Bought a Dixie Chopper Pursuit 36" Walk-behind mower from a Kawasaki/Polaris/Dixie Chopper dealer nearby. Used the 0% for 48mos deal that Sheffield is offering.

Took it home, sharpened the blades, adjusted the deck, do two passes test cut on a 1/3 acre, perfectly manicured, lush, suburban lawn (light work for any mower), notice it's drifting to the right, pull it into the garage, mower stops moving (engine still runs).

I show up at the dealer the next morning to complain. The salesman comes to get it to repair it under warranty and, before he drives away, I tell him "Feel free to keep it and tear up our contract, I don't want to see that thing again."
Long story short, every time I see them or talk to them on the phone (getting repair updates), I ask them if they'll take it back. They decline every time and claim that it's up to Dixie Chopper to "approve" a refund or something (they never go into detail on that). I call Dixie Chopper territory manager and he claims it's strictly between me and the dealer.

Question: Is it unreasonable to expect them to refund me the money for that mower? The tires still have the vent spews on 'em. 3.2 total hours on the machine and I put *maybe* .5 on it.

View Quote

I would tell you to fuck off as well. It is a machine sometimes they need some adjustments from setup to get to 100% and alignment isn't that out of the question for that type of mower.  Why should they take it back just because you have buyers remorse?

If they take it in and can't get it fixed for whatever reason then you MAY have  a gripe. Until then no.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
you own it

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Buyers remorse? I wouldn't give you a refund.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, it's unreasonable.

You bought it. Simple as that.

It's like buying a car. You dont buy and then return a car a day or a week later.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I would tell you to fuck off as well. It is a machine sometimes they need some adjustments from setup to get to 100% and alignment isn't that out of the question for that type of mower.  Why should they take it back just because you have buyers remorse?

If they take it in and can't get it fixed for whatever reason then you MAY have  a gripe. Until then no.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Backstory:

Bought a Dixie Chopper Pursuit 36" Walk-behind mower from a Kawasaki/Polaris/Dixie Chopper dealer nearby. Used the 0% for 48mos deal that Sheffield is offering.

Took it home, sharpened the blades, adjusted the deck, do two passes test cut on a 1/3 acre, perfectly manicured, lush, suburban lawn (light work for any mower), notice it's drifting to the right, pull it into the garage, mower stops moving (engine still runs).

I show up at the dealer the next morning to complain. The salesman comes to get it to repair it under warranty and, before he drives away, I tell him "Feel free to keep it and tear up our contract, I don't want to see that thing again."

Question: Is it unreasonable to expect them to refund me the money for that mower? The tires still have the vent spews on 'em. 3.2 total hours on the machine and I put *maybe* .5 on it.

Agreed.  let them attempt a fix 1st.  If its still not right, then bitch.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have what I consider "buyer's remorse,"...a tensioner pulley bracket broke that disables the machine. If it can't handle two passes on my lawn, what good is it?

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Backstory:

View Quote

Was this a new new fully assembled mower that came with 2.7 hours on it?  Based on the above it sounds like it had issues before you even took possession.  I would think they should refund or replace it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Unless it was sold with a "money back guarantee", pretty sure you are bound by the warranty terms, plus any state law regarding consumer issues.

The whole "return for your money back" thing is relatively recent in commerce, and not really compelled by any law.  It's going to be hard to compel them to return your money before they have a chance to fulfill their warranty obligations.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
you own it

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#14]
In before " that's not how it works"?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't have what I consider "buyer's remorse,"...a tensioner pulley bracket broke that disables the machine. If it can't handle two passes on my lawn, what good is it?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That one broke. Let them fix it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Was this a new new fully assembled mower that came with 2.7 hours on it?  Based on the above it sounds like it had issues before you even took possession.  I would think they should refund or replace it.
View Quote
Brand new, fully assembled.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#18]
My parents bought a farris last year.

Both Hydraulic pumps were cracked, I discovered this as my dad asked me to check the hydraulic lines on it to make sure they were all tight, as he had to add oil to the hydraulic system.

Dealer told me he could either replace both pumps, or wait between 8 and 12 weeks for a new mower, as the diesel ones were hard to get it.

I opted for the pumps.

But I don't think it's too much to ask for a new one.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes. Let them try and make it right. Have them sweeten the pot or something with free service for your trouble but to ask for a refund straight out of the gate seems kind of abrupt.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Out of curiosity, how long do they expect it to take before they have the repairs completed?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#21]
If you want to use something then get a refund, buy from Home Depot.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:04:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then something doesn't add up. Why would you need to adjust the deck and sharpen the blades on a new machine? and it took you 3.5 hours to do 2 passes? Where did the rest of those hours come from did you just let it idle for an hour or two? Your story just doesn't add up.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are assuming that the broken bracket is a design flaw, in which case you would be making a "Warranty of Fitness" claim *(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implied_warranty#Fitness_for_a_particular_purpose) - basically, they knew I would use it to mow lawns, it's not capable of mowing lawns, therefore they need to take it back."  As opposed to "Assembler had a brain fart and forgot to torque a bolt."
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Backstory:

View Quote

wow I am glad you're not my customer.  I'd give you your money back in heart beat and then call every single mower dealer for a 100 mile radius to warn them about you.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what it sounds like you have. You got a bad unit, it happens, hell ask all the people with Ford diesels that ended up getting them bought back AFTER 10's of thousands of dollars of warranty work.

You let them fix it, or maybe even push for a new one (I would wait until after the warranty work and see if it's fixed first), but you don't just walk in after USING a piece of equipment and say "nevermind, just kidding, give me my money back"
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yes, it's unreasonable.

It's like buying a car. You dont buy and then return a car a day or a week later.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
wow I am glad you're not my customer.  I'd give you your money back in heart beat and then call every single mower dealer for a 100 mile radius to warn them about you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Backstory:

This is what I was hoping for.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Then something doesn't add up. Why would you need to adjust the deck and sharpen the blades on a new machine? and it took you 3.5 hours to do 2 passes? Where did the rest of those hours come from did you just let it idle for an hour or two? Your story just doesn't add up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know. It had 2 something hours on it when it hit my driveway. It had 1.x on it when I started it at the dealership before I bought it. Add and subtract all you want but you have to talk to them about that.

ETA: I sharpened the blades because they still had the powdercoat on them and I adjusted the deck because I want my lawn cut at 4".
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Backstory:

so you'd like to be black balled. got it. 13ers living up to their rep.

eta I'm surprised you didn't bandsaw it up before dropping it off.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?  Where'd the hours come from.  If it took you half an hour to mow your yard.  Then the machine had the equivalent of mowing your yard 5 times before you bought it.  That's not new in my book.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Still better than my experience with the John Deere dealer . My Deere was improperly assembled by the dealer and had to have the deck replaced . JD says fuck you . I ended up fixing it myself with the dealers gauges . Is there any wonder why I would never buy another Deere product .
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
What?  Where'd the hours come from.  If it took you half an hour to mow your yard.  Then the machine had the equivalent of mowing your yard 5 times before you bought it.  That's not new in my book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See above reply.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
you own it

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Sorry OP but the warranty covers repair for defects in material and workmanship. Not a replacement.

That is a defect in workmanship.

Also sorry you bought a Dixie Chopper.

Let them fix it for you, and good luck with it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dixie Chopper dealer, are ya?

God forbid I get blackballed from the prestigious "allowed to buy a mower" club.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Backstory:

The bracket
https://goo.gl/photos/ED8mhnjLUtBrcjLq7

View Quote

Lol.

I tried to return my GTI a day after I had bought it due to it developing serious engine problems the very day that I drove it home (which warranted a replacement).

MI law was basically "Your fucked, the lobbyists paid us off to write the laws in such a way that they don't have to take back vehicles once they left the lot."

Probably the same case here. Should've used a Credit Card. They'll come and take it back if they don't get paid.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Ok, sounds like I'm probably asking a little much. I'll get it back, make sure it works, maybe put it up for sale or something and take the loss.

I'll go with the Ferris next time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
This

If I had to do the prep work on a new mower I'd look for a different dealer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This

If I had to do the prep work on a new mower I'd look for a different dealer.

Agreed. This was my first mistake. I should have had higher standards BEFORE giving them money.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#42]
unreasonable

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Being reasonable is abiding by the terms of the contract you agreed to when you bought the mower. If you agreed to give the dealer a chance to fix the mower, then you ought to give them a chance to fix it. If the dealer agreed to refund your money if the mower broke, then you should get a refund. My guess is you contractually agreed to let the dealer try to fix the mower.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ok, sounds like I'm probably asking a little much. I'll get it back, make sure it works, maybe put it up for sale or something and take the loss.

I'll go with the Ferris next time.
View Quote

Ferris is a good choice. My Dad has had one for almost 20 years now. Only thing it needed was a fresh engine after the original Briggs motor had a wrist pin let go a couple of years ago. Other than that, blades, and an occasional belt, its been great.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Backstory:

Like the Yammie
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#46]
My uncle spent 13k a Scag, it's built like a brick shithouse and hasn't had one issue in the 5 years that he's owned it. If I had that kind of coin to spend on a mower that's where I'd be looking.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Personally I'd probably go ahead and refund you, and lose some on the resale of it, as you sound like a pain in the ass customer who will whine, rant, and rave about returning it every single time it needs attention.

Shit happens, not every single part of every single thing is 100% every single time.  Get over it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

God forbid I get blackballed from the prestigious "allowed to buy a mower" club.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

nope. but you're in the "worst customer in the world club"

gonna take a stab here. Ohio or Michigan?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yes, it's unreasonable.

View Quote

You do if it's a lemon (not making judgement on OP's mower).
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Personally I'd probably go ahead and refund you, and lose some on the resale of it, as you sound like a pain in the ass customer who will whine, rant, and rave about returning it every single time it needs attention.

Shit happens, not every single part of every single thing is 100% every single time.  Get over it.
View Quote
I understand the sentiment but if you got to know me you wouldn't come to that conclusion.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top