Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:57:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who gives a fuck, your credit card company employs people whos sole job is to do this. It is what your fees and interest pay for, Its not your job.Fucking Magnum PI over here.

http://ih0.redbubble.net/image.11907024.4950/fc,550x550,white.jpg
View Quote

And that is a bad thing?

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Typical cry baby from CA.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#3]
FYI, I am not sure why everyone thinks I am going to go all Taken on this shit. I am just going to out them and do whatever I can to surreptitiously ruin their shit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How old are you, OP?
View Quote

Old or mature?

Big difference.

I don't blame the OP for being pissed. But IMO it's better left to the police because you will end up facing charges if you pursue this.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
FYI, I am not sure why everyone thinks I am going to go all Taken on this shit. I am just going to out them and do whatever I can to surreptitiously ruin their shit.
View Quote

Because you cry about it online. Shit happens. It didn't hurt you. The bank caught it. Get over it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#6]
We (cops) get video of lots of crimes.  Guess what that means?  We have some random dude committing a crime on video.  Crime still goes unsolved in the majority if cases.  

You might be able to take a screenshot if you can get s good facial view and run it through tineye.com or similar. I hope you prove me wrong, but I think you won't be able to ID the guy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am a patient man.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Someone attempted to make a large purchase with a cloned version of my credit card yesterday. Thankfully, my issuer caught it before the transaction went through. I have the amount of the transaction, the exact time and date and a list of what they tried to purchase. They also think they will likely have video of the perpetrator. I also haven't used the card much over the past few weeks, maybe ten total transactions, three of them being likely sources (gas station, restaurant). The attempted transaction was near enough to my city that it is very likely that this individual personally scanned the card rather than sold it or gave it to someone on the Internet.

I want to catch this person. I am motivated enough to go interview people to do so at these likely locations of the source of the fraud. Given the circumstances, I think that this is a pretty good opportunity to actually find one of these people. The fact that the attempted fraud was so close by means they are likely an amateur and I might be able to sniff them out just by confronting them and asking questions. I am pretty sure it was at a restaurant, which means I can probably find out who was on shift and who actually handled my card.

Does anyone have any advice, tips, etc? I want to find this person and ruin their fucking life.
Don't. You are opening yourself to serious and consequential legal jeopardy.

I am a patient man.

You may be a patient man.

But posting a desire to get revenge online guarantees that one is not a smart man.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#8]
This happened to me a couple weeks ago.

Since the stores the thief visited were close by, I stopped in and asked about it.

Target's loss prevention confirmed they had video. They said I could contact the police and file a report.

I thought that's what Loss Prevention's job would be. Someone just stole from them, they have evidence, but don't care enough to do anything.

My bank reversed the fraudulent charges. Target, Marshalls, and Burlington Coat Factory don't seem to care, so I guess I don't either.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I offered the investigating officer that took the police report to keep the money they took from my account (they got a bank card number and cleaned out our savings and checking), if he could put me in a room with no windows and cameras for 5 minutes with the POS that took it.
He said he would love that and would not mind watching what I did to him but sadly that is not how the world works anymore.

He was a pretty seasoned older guy, I think he would have genuinely let it happen if he could have.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#10]
1) Call your bank, tell them thank you for doing a good job.
2) Move the fuck on.
Your tough guy rage will burn you up.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Then you shouldn't  have posted here.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#12]
The CC company/Banks don't care, THEY hardly ever lose $$ on scams. The BUSINESS that the stolen card was used at, takes the hit.

The Cops don't care, the victim may be in their jurisdiction, but the perp isn't so they (local cops) have nothing to gain by pursuing it. Cops in the perps local don't really care, nobody in their local got hurt.

THAT is why CC fraud will never be stopped or even slowed down. The people hurt, have no recourse to get anything done.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Don't bother getting the police involved.  they will do absolutely nothing.   Got mine cloned once.  Was able to find name and address of the perp.  Went to state police.  I guess they only write traffic tickets I as they told me to go to the local cops.  I told him that this is NY and he is a NY State trooper so he is my local cop.  No sale.  Went to county police.  Lady cop took all the info and documentation I had.  When I asked her for a police report number she quoted me a string of numbers off the top of her head.  Oddly enough I never heard anything back on that one.  

They simply will not bother with this sort of crime unless it is one of their own who is scammed.
View Quote

Should have told them you suspected the individual of loading eight rounds in a mag.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Tag.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#15]
8 or so years ago I lost my credit card, my fault, fell out of my pocket.  Someone used it to make purchases at a Walmart and another store.  I filed a police report.  A few days later I got to go to the police station and watch the vid of the perp to see if I recognized him.  I didn't.  So it's not always true nothing will come of it
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#16]
lol its just a credit card and literally happens all the time, and your cc company even caught it for you. get a new card and move on before you have a stroke. jesus man.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any time brah.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I hope you have the wisdom to do nothing illegal.  I also hope you enjoy yourself immensely making the thief's life as unpleasant as possible.  Every one deserves a little fun now and again, and fun at the expense of a thief can hardly be topped.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#19]
What is it you think you're really going to do to this person?  I wan't specifics not cliches.  Don't get me wrong I'm all for you doing what ever it is your going to do.  I just need details unless all this ranting is you just blowing off steam.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#20]
FYI. I don't want to move on. Your pussy advice is why aforementioned human garbage is able to operate with impunity. They are willing to take the very small risk of getting caught because no one cares.

I care because fuck this guy and his enablers (half the posters in the thread)

And I plan to find this person and ruin their shit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Old or mature?

Big difference.

I don't blame the OP for being pissed. But IMO it's better left to the police because you will end up facing charges if you pursue this.

Cheers!
-JC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How old are you, OP?

Old or mature?

Big difference.

Cheers!
-JC

How can I face charges if I am not going to do anything illegal? Enlighten me.

Quoted:

But posting a desire to get revenge online guarantees that one is not a smart man.

I'm smart enough to know that you can hurt someone without doing something illegal.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Any time brah.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any time brah.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any time brah.

I'm a black belt:

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Should have told them you suspected the individual of loading eight rounds in a mag.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't bother getting the police involved.  they will do absolutely nothing.   Got mine cloned once.  Was able to find name and address of the perp.  Went to state police.  I guess they only write traffic tickets I as they told me to go to the local cops.  I told him that this is NY and he is a NY State trooper so he is my local cop.  No sale.  Went to county police.  Lady cop took all the info and documentation I had.  When I asked her for a police report number she quoted me a string of numbers off the top of her head.  Oddly enough I never heard anything back on that one.  

They simply will not bother with this sort of crime unless it is one of their own who is scammed.

Pre SAFE act days.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Go  for it OP...  show him/her you mean business!

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#26]
This thread is way to awesome to continue for the mods/staff here. IBTL.

Good luck, OP. Hope you get your man and serve some Bronson level justice.

Fuck thieves.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm smart enough to know that you can hurt someone without doing something illegal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How old are you, OP?

Old or mature?

Big difference.

Cheers!
-JC

Quoted:

Are you going to bang his girlfriend and pee on his leg to establish dominance? Because that would be awesome!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:08:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
FYI. I don't want to move on. Your pussy advice is why aforementioned human garbage is able to operate with impunity. They are willing to take the very small risk of getting caught because no one cares.

View Quote

Whelp, you aren't going to find him in this thread. Go get em champ.
Us enablers will just have to live vicariously through you. Please don't forget to post pictures of his shit you ruined. The clock is ticking.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Are you going to bang his girlfriend and pee on his leg to establish dominance? Because that would be awesome!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How old are you, OP?

Old or mature?

Big difference.

Cheers!
-JC

Quoted:

Too easy. And I suspect this was a woman by the way, given what was they were trying to purchase.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Us enablers will just have to live vicariously through you. Please don't forget to post pictures of his shit you ruined. The clock is ticking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have established the first steps and a basic timeline. I am yours for the next 16 hours, tough guy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Just had one of my cards skimmed, idiot tried to buy $2650 worth of ugly designer shoes online. I was going to call the designer and offer them $100 to send a box of human dung to the address thief supplied. Wife said no. Should have at least sent a glitter-bomb...
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just had one of my cards skimmed, idiot tried to buy $2650 worth of ugly designer shoes online. I was going to call the designer and offer them $100 to send a box of human dung to the address thief supplied. Wife said no. Should have at least sent a glitter-bomb...
View Quote

There is a lot one could do with an address.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#33]
My stepson had this happen last month. He filed a police report and they actually went to the store and got video. It was on the news that night. Last week, it was skimmed again.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#34]
got two stories

daughters Grand Cherokee broken into, purse stolen (off front seat...yeah, I know)....within hours of the burglary, the card was used at  2 or three different gas stations, a blk chick, couple hundred bucks worth of beer and she actually called friends from the hood and they took turns filling up their tanks. Daughter called the cops and reported it.... a town of about 15k. (I fixed the window, 300 bucks)I got a listing of the cards use and about 3 days later called the cops, gave them the additional info...got the run around, I went to the nearest gas station...they hold their tapes 10 days, and spoke to the manager...she looked at the tapes, with me there and I took shots with my smartphone...lo and behold, she recognizes one of the blk dudes who came in with the chick and got cases of beer...also had video of the pumps with the cars/license tags that gassed up....I travel out to his house, see the car and tag in the drive, and make contact with the homeowner...its the dudes wife, showed her the screen shot, she IDs her husband and that the fact that he was probably fucking around with the blk chick, and she named her as well. All this was passed on to the 2 different police  jurisdictions involved (other area was a city of around 85k)....not a fucking thing was done, the tapes were never collected, never even interviewed the dude. The dude was on state probation, called and spoke w/the state doc people. They got him to reimburse my 300 dollars for the window...he never admitted criminal culpability, only that his girlfriend called and told him she 'found' a card and they used the shit out of it.  Did I mention I was 5-OH?

The best bbq I ever had....

my brother in law works for the post office...on a fucked up shift at a hub, where he gets off at midnight (this guy is like a red headed epic bearded lumberjack) his nightly routine is stopping by a 7/11 and getting a monster slushy and popcorn. He goes in the clerk ids him as an armed robber from the previous month...and calls the cops. They hook him up, and have the clerk come down and sign the affidavit against him. They read him his rights and he 'lawyers up'...he tells them he's related to me. Doesn't matter, no one calls me. I get the call when he's bonding out from the county jail, from my sister. Long story short, the police have a video (7/11 so high definition with sound), but no one ever looks at it, (which would have shown a clean shaven Hispanic dude)  no one calls the post office hub to see if maybe he was working that day and time...fingerprints from the counter and register, but no one ever sends them off, or compares to the lumberjack. My brother in law built a garage with a man cave, a sun room, and an outdoor patio with a grill, after getting back from an Alaskan cruise...courtesy of the police and 7/11.  I get asked sometimes by my comrades in arms, hey bro, what you got going on this weekend...Id say going over to watch a game on the big screen and have a cookout at the brother-in-laws, and there'd be silence and a few cases of the red-ass.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I like where your head is Op. Find this dude, tie him to a chair and do very bad things to him with rusty hand tools. Live stream the whole thing on YouTube to strike fear into the hearts of his credit card cloning brethren. Wear a mask and talk like the Joker.
View Quote

Storm Trooper masks are more common.  Better yet, Guy Fawkes.  

More seriously, leave it to the PoPo.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:21:48 PM EDT
[#36]
No store is going to show you video or let you come in and start interviewing people.  I used to deal with this shit for a living (worked in retail LP).  No company of any decent size will take part is some random dudes vigilante hunt.  A mom and pop place might play along to a certain extent.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Good luck bro.

I ran down the guy that took my cards, my bank accounts, my name, social security, tax return, my entire fucking paper man life.

The agents I was in contact with told me in no unclear terms that if I approached him, accosted him, called him, threatened him, facebooked him, ANYTHING AT ALL, I would go to jail. I would be charged and prosecuted for harassment.

WTF to that.

Nothing ever happened. They dropped the whole thing, and told me to file it on my insurance.  I was fucking livid. Fit to be tied.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Unless this involved enormous amounts of money your credit card company doesnt give two shits about catching this person. The credit card company will simply cancel your card and reissue you a new one with a different number.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#39]
OP, I hope you find them! Just be aware though that your card could've easily been scanned by someone just passing by you unless you're using a RFID-Blocking Wallet. If you don't have one, get one!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Someone attempted to make a large purchase with a cloned version of my credit card yesterday. Thankfully, my issuer caught it before the transaction went through. I have the amount of the transaction, the exact time and date and a list of what they tried to purchase. They also think they will likely have video of the perpetrator. I also haven't used the card much over the past few weeks, maybe ten total transactions, three of them being likely sources (gas station, restaurant). The attempted transaction was near enough to my city that it is very likely that this individual personally scanned the card rather than sold it or gave it to someone on the Internet.

I want to catch this person. I am motivated enough to go interview people to do so at these likely locations of the source of the fraud. Given the circumstances, I think that this is a pretty good opportunity to actually find one of these people. The fact that the attempted fraud was so close by means they are likely an amateur and I might be able to sniff them out just by confronting them and asking questions. I am pretty sure it was at a restaurant, which means I can probably find out who was on shift and who actually handled my card.

Does anyone have any advice, tips, etc? I want to find this person and ruin their fucking life.
View Quote

I hate ISIS, can anyone recommend how I can best ho after them?
You are pretty much asking the same thing. Let it go and leave it to the professionals.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Ought to hang them on Friday night tv,, same as people who scam old folks
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This happened to me a couple weeks ago.

Since the stores the thief visited were close by, I stopped in and asked about it.

Target's loss prevention confirmed they had video. They said I could contact the police and file a report.

I thought that's what Loss Prevention's job would be. Someone just stole from them, they have evidence, but don't care enough to do anything.

My bank reversed the fraudulent charges. Target, Marshalls, and Burlington Coat Factory don't seem to care, so I guess I don't either.
View Quote

The stores Loss Prevention is there to protect their store.  They aren't going to fight some battle for you.  You report it to the police, the police go to Target to get the video.  Chances are it goes no where after that because the police won't be able to actually ID the perp.. they'll just have some random unidentified dude on video using a bogus card.  I dealt with this shit regularly at my old LP jobs... it was always a total waste of time as it never went anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah like inform the police.
Or you could go knock on the door and say hi and show them your bullet button reload skills
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
No store is going to show you video or let you come in and start interviewing people.  I used to deal with this shit for a living (worked in retail LP).  No company of any decent size will take part is some random dudes vigilante hunt.  A mom and pop place might play along to a certain extent.
View Quote

They are going to show me the video. They called ME back. Your post is invalid.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol ok good luck then
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
OP, I hope you find them! Just be aware though that your card could've easily been scanned by someone just passing by you unless you're using a RFID-Blocking Wallet. If you don't have one, get one!
View Quote

I do. That is a good thing to get out there, though. I am pretty careful as this is my second time.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:39:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Or you could go knock on the door and say hi and show them your bullet button reload skills
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

haha. It's hilarious how you point out that Californian's gun rights are being gradually eroded and then apply it to me as if I am happy about it. You must be great at parties.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Chip cards are not RFID cards.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:56:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have an RFID card, however, so he was good to bring it up.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:59:19 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I do. That is a good thing to get out there, though. I am pretty careful as this is my second time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well damn, that crosses one possibility off the list.

Don't they sell cards that you can 'load money to' online? Might be a good way of tracking it?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top