Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 3/19/2016 2:05:58 PM EDT
I have a theory on how people will respond. Another thread prompted me to start this one.

While standing in line at the return desk an old man at the back of the line was bitching and moaning and about some incident in the parking lot. In addition to other profanity he dropped the F bomb. There was a father and a small daughter standing right in front of him. I turned around and chastised the old man asked him to watch his language as there was small children around.

Should I have minded my own business?

(If I was in Alabama should I have called the cops to have him arrested?)
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:08:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting trip BTW, on the way out at the checkout some guy in front goes to dig in his pocket to pull out change and a crack pipe falls to the ground. No one noticed but me.

He picked it up quick and shoved it back in his pocket.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, you should have minded your own business.  If you were truly worried about the small children being offended, then it's a job for those children's parents to chastise the old man.

I curse like a sailor, in public and in private.  I do try to watch it around children, but otherwise I just don't worry about it.  I also don't worry about it when other people are cursing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a theory on how people will respond. Another thread prompted me to start this one.

While standing in line at the return desk an old man at the back of the line was bitching and moaning and about some incident in the parking lot. In addition to other profanity he dropped the F bomb. There was a father and a small daughter standing right in front of him. I turned around and chastised the old man asked him to watch his language as there was small children around.

Yes, you should have minded your own business.  If you were truly worried about the small children being offended, then it's a job for those children's parents to chastise the old man.

I curse like a sailor, in public and in private.  I do try to watch it around children, but otherwise I just don't worry about it.  I also don't worry about it when other people are cursing.

Sounds like the OP was offended by the mans use of foul language, whether there was a child present or not. So you would be okay with him just standing there being offended?? Should he have just pissed down his own leg, hung his head and scurried out of the store?? Or should he have the right to not have to listen to vulgarity in a public place, and the right to say something to the offensive individual?? Free speech works both ways.

BK
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No sweat. Not everybody has class.

Don't beat yourself up over it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Adults have inappropriate behavior in public because they get away with it and don't get called out.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Adults have inappropriate behavior in public because they get away with it and don't get called out.
View Quote

Yup.

Sadly, so many people on this forum think that every time you call someone out on it then you're just asking for a fight. "And I CCW, so,I can't afford to get in a fight"

Look, if someone starts a fight with you because you politely asked them to mind their manners than either they are a HUGE jackass or you need to recalibrate your oral delivery system.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#8]
My 4 year old daughter would have turned around and told him not to say fuck its a bad word.
At least thats what she says to me when I let it slip.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#9]

I too cuss a blue streak, but I have enough of a social conscience not to cuss in front of kids and in places that it's inappropriate. Low rent is low rent.

I'm also not above telling a motherfucker to watch their language if they're cussing in front of children. The only incidence of this that comes to mind was a couple guys sitting in a restaurant full of women and children and one of them was talking loudly and 'fuck/fucking' was about every third word out of his mouth. It was obvious a number of the women were uncomfortable having to hear it.

I asked him to please watch his language and the guy actually thanked me for bringing it to his attention. He said he just wasn't paying attention and was focused on his conversation.

I'm in the there's a time and a place crowd.

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:24:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Good job OP.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#11]
A lot of people who curse loudly like that in public would have no problem throwing blows with you right there.

To them: Go back to jail? Meh, whatever.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Hammer time.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Good job OP. I believe the old adage that people who curse often are equipped with poor vocabularies. Cursing in public doesn't demonstrate strength, it illustrates lack of consideration.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't blame OP.

If you're okay with being an ass in public you should be okay with being told you're an ass.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Good chastise.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#16]
One of the tragic, unintended consequences of military service: it turns you into a foul mouthed motherfucker. For LIFE.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:31:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Ranger_556, you did good.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sounds like the OP was offended by the mans use of foul language, whether there was a child present or not. So you would be okay with him just standing there being offended?? Should he have just pissed down his own leg, hung his head and scurried out of the store?? Or should he have the right to not have to listen to vulgarity in a public place, and the right to say something to the offensive individual??Free speech works both ways.

BK
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like the OP was offended by the mans use of foul language, whether there was a child present or not. So you would be okay with him just standing there being offended?? Should he have just pissed down his own leg, hung his head and scurried out of the store?? Or should he have the right to not have to listen to vulgarity in a public place, and the right to say something to the offensive individual??Free speech works both ways.

BK

This.

You have the right to say what you want. I have the right to ask you to shut the fuck up.

'Murica.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

This thread should be:

How old were you when you first heard the "F" word?

What terrible damage did it do to you?

How would it have been better if the person had said "intercourse"? Would it have kept you from being the pervert that you are today?
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

What major social problem do you think you averted just in the nick of time?

How would the world be different if you had simply ignored him?
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:33:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

And then some get beat up by a Shogun with a hammer.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I too cuss a blue streak, but I have enough of a social conscience not to cuss in front of kids and in places that it's inappropriate. Low rent is low rent.

I'm also not above telling a motherfucker to watch their language if they're cussing in front of children. The only incidence of this that comes to mind was a couple guys sitting in a restaurant full of women and children and one of them was talking loudly and 'fuck/fucking' was about every third word out of his mouth. It was obvious a number of the women were uncomfortable having to hear it.

I asked him to please watch his language and the guy actually thanked me for bringing it to his attention. He said he just wasn't paying attention and was focused on his conversation.

View Quote

This, it does make you seem like a dumb shit low class hood rat. I cuss really bad, but I too have the commen sense not to do it in public.
I would rather not have people look at me and think I'm some dumb shit low class hood rat!
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your Alabama comment isn't completely correct. Yes, Disorderly Conduct covers offensive speech.

The thread that got your panties in a wad isn't about offensive speech, it was about an entitled punk ass brat who threw an object at police who are trying to control a large typically unruly crowd.

Why did you feel the need to chastise some guy for exercising his 1st Ammendment rights? You're no better than the cops your attempting to make fun of.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#24]
FPNI!

If you were offended by the cursing, then you should have said something.  Otherwise, I wouldn't go around white-knighting for irresponsible parents who don't have enough sack to say something when offensive behavior is happening around their kids*

Who knows, maybe that dad drops the F-bomb in front of his kids and they're cool with it.  Neither you or I fucking know

*I don't have kids and swear ALL the time.  Do not take parenting advice from me!
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#25]
The answer is almost always MYOB.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yup.

Sadly, so many people on this forum think that every time you call someone out on it then you're just asking for a fight. "And I CCW, so,I can't afford to get in a fight"

Look, if someone starts a fight with you because you politely asked them to mind their manners than either they are a HUGE jackass or you need to recalibrate your oral delivery system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

If someone starts a fight with you then you will very likely have a shitload of ongoing fallout from it, regardless. As near as I can tell, no actual benefit will come to you from such a situation, except maybe that you have a self-righteous story to tell.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed, BLM "protest" are a perfect example of this. Give them an inch, they will loot and burn businesses, turn over vehicles, block traffic etc.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Interesting trip BTW, on the way out at the checkout some guy in front goes to dig in his pocket to pull out change and a crack pipe falls to the ground. No one noticed but me.

He picked it up quick and shoved it back in his pocket.
View Quote

never know when your going to be in the plumbing aisle and you just gotta get a hit
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sounds like the OP was offended by the mans use of foul language, whether there was a child present or not. So you would be okay with him just standing there being offended?? Should he have just pissed down his own leg, hung his head and scurried out of the store?? Or should he have the right to not have to listen to vulgarity in a public place, and the right to say something to the offensive individual?? Free speech works both ways.

BK
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BK

Remind me again, what actual real-world problem did he solve?
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Agreed, BLM "protest" are a perfect example of this. Give them an inch, they will loot and burn businesses, turn over vehicles, block traffic etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because that guy was sure to light the store on fire if he was allowed to say "fuck" too many times. I am sure of it, just like you.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
This, it does make you seem like a dumb shit low class hood rat. I cuss really bad, but I too have the commen sense not to do it in public.

I would rather not have people look at me and think I'm some dumb shit low class hood rat!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup. I just can't envision myself going to a meeting for a multi-million dollar oil and gas deal and coming of like a fucking hood rat. It just wouldn't work out very well. My capacity for selling the deal would be totally negated.

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
This thread should be:

How would it have been better if the person had said "intercourse"? Would it have kept you from being the pervert that you are today?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This thread should be:

Explain the part in red, please.

It sure sounds like you are accusing someone of being a pervert.

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First, the world would be different for OP if he had MYOB. Second, the world just got a little better as far as the people who were witness to event.

I swear every chance I get in the proper company. I apologize when I slip at an inappropriate moment.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If someone starts a fight with you then you will very likely have a shitload of ongoing fallout from it, regardless. As near as I can tell, no actual benefit will come to you from such a situation, except maybe that you have a self-righteous story to tell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Or maybe it will catch on. Civility and manners didn't go in the tank because of the left, democrats, laws, you name it. It was always the result of a collective unspoken agreement that was how people wanted to live. The cracks in the system of behavior either never got called out, or inadequately called out. People began being lazy and emulating the bad behavior instead of the good behavior.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#35]
..it's a hardware store, not a preschool playground
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thread should be:

From everything I have been able to determine in my life, most people have some sort of thing that is "different" about them. But, it is just a question: How would you be different today if you had not heard the "F" word?  Answer the question with anything that you think is appropriate to your particular case.

As near as I can tell, nobody has ever suffered serious damage from hearing the "F" word, including children.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Because that guy was sure to light the store on fire if he was allowed to say "fuck" too many times. I am sure of it, just like you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that's exactly what I said.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Hammer time.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

First, the world would be different for OP if he had MYOB. Second, the world just got a little better as far as the people who were witness to event.

I swear every chance I get in the proper company. I apologize when I slip at an inappropriate moment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so? Does the "F" word cause some actual harm, or is it just some harm that only happened in the mind of the listener?

And, if the "F" word is so damaging, then how does the word "cuff" get a free pass? Would anyone have protested if he said "Cuff! Cuff! Cuff!"?
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Or maybe it will catch on. Civility and manners didn't go in the tank because of the left, democrats, laws, you name it. It was always the result of a collective unspoken agreement that was how people wanted to live. The cracks in the system of behavior either never got called out, or inadequately called out. People began being lazy and emulating the bad behavior instead of the good behavior.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

LOL! Let me introduce you to this newest of inventions. It is called the "Internet". Given your attitudes, I would advise you not to go there.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Your Alabama comment isn't completely correct. Yes, Disorderly Conduct covers offensive speech.

The thread that got your panties in a wad isn't about offensive speech, it was about an entitled punk ass brat who threw an object at police who are trying to control a large typically unruly crowd.

Why did you feel the need to chastise some guy for exercising his 1st Ammendment rights? Your no better than the cops your attempting to make fun of.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why did you feel the need to chastise some guy for exercising his 1st Ammendment rights? Your no better than the cops your attempting to make fun of.

The SCOTUS made a decision that saying the word 'fuck', even in a courtroom, is constitutionally protected speech. Unless that speech meets the criteria of an assault it's protected.

I don't see Alabama being able to successfully prosecute 'offensive speech'.

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Good job OP. I believe the old adage that people who curse often are equipped with poor vocabularies. Cursing in public doesn't demonstrate strength, it illustrates lack of consideration.
View Quote

I would agree, except I blame the Army and 24 years working in a jail..
My vocabulary is pretty good, I actually have a Masters in Public administration
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
From everything I have been able to determine in my life, most people have some sort of thing that is "different" about them. But, it is just a question: How would you be different today if you had not heard the "F" word?  Answer the question with anything that you think is appropriate to your particular case.

As near as I can tell, nobody has ever suffered serious damage from hearing the "F" word, including children.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This thread should be:

So you didn't need to call him a pervert to make your point, you just did because.

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#44]
"Do you kiss your Mother with that mouth?"

I have used that several times on people cussing well beyond what is normal.  It seems to work most of the time.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

/this
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So you didn't need to call him a pervert to make your point, you just did because.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thread should be:

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

How so? Does the "F" word cause some actual harm, or is it just some harm that only happened in the mind of the listener?

And, if the "F" word is so damaging, then how does the word "cuff" get a free pass? Would anyone have protested if he said "Cuff! Cuff! Cuff!"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are the quintessential punk. Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#48]
The only way to give curse words any power is to freak out about them.

They're just words....it's kind of retarded we make some phonetic phrases vulgar, yet another one that sounds different but means the exact same thing are ok around kids.

It's like saying "bless you" after a sneeze, really, a silly holdout from long gone "polite" Victorian language. There's no fucking point in a rational society for exclamatory language to be bad and hidden from people.

Frack your feelings about it, too.

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#49]
While I certainly enjoy using profanity, I don't use it where inappropriate, around women, kids, older folks, etc.

It was how I was raised. Its one of things civilizations use to convey respect and civility.

Its one of the things that has fallen by the wayside of the modern era.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You are the quintessential punk. Good luck!
View Quote

So you can't name any actual harm done by the "F" word. When asked to do so, your best possible response in name-calling. So noted.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top