BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The SCOTUS made a decision that saying the word 'fuck', even in a courtroom, is constitutionally protected speech. Unless that speech meets the criteria of an assault it's protected.

I don't see Alabama being able to successfully prosecute 'offensive speech'.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a theory on how people will respond. Another thread prompted me to start this one.

While standing in line at the return desk an old man at the back of the line was bitching and moaning and about some incident in the parking lot. In addition to other profanity he dropped the F bomb. There was a father and a small daughter standing right in front of him. I turned around and chastised the old man asked him to watch his language as there was small children around.

Should I have minded my own business?

(If I was in Alabama should I have called the cops to have him arrested?)

Your Alabama comment isn't completely correct. Yes, Disorderly Conduct covers offensive speech.

The thread that got your panties in a wad isn't about offensive speech, it was about an entitled punk ass brat who threw an object at police who are trying to control a large typically unruly crowd.

Why did you feel the need to chastise some guy for exercising his 1st Ammendment rights? Your no better than the cops your attempting to make fun of.
The SCOTUS made a decision that saying the word 'fuck', even in a courtroom, is constitutionally protected speech. Unless that speech meets the criteria of an assault it's protected.

I don't see Alabama being able to successfully prosecute 'offensive speech'.

Read the statute, it's with the intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof.
It's not the speech that is the issue.

Just saying fuck in public would not fit.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The only way to give curse words any power is to freak out about them.

They're just words....it's kind of retarded we make some phonetic phrases vulgar, yet another one that sounds different but means the exact same thing are ok around kids.

It's like saying "bless you" after a sneeze, really, there's no fucking point in a rational society for exclamatory language to be bad and hidden from people.

Frack your feelings about it, too.
View Quote

INTERCOURSE YOU!

That's a lot better.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Adults have inappropriate behavior in public because they get away with it and don't get called out.
View Quote

Exactly, people need called out more in society these days.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Adults have inappropriate behavior in public because they get away with it and don't get called out.

So what makes "Fuck" so much more damaging than "cuff"?
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Good job OP.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good job OP.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Agreed, BLM "protest" are a perfect example of this. Give them an inch, they will loot and burn businesses, turn over vehicles, block traffic etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, BLM "protest" are a perfect example of this. Give them an inch, they will loot and burn businesses, turn over vehicles, block traffic etc.

I think I agree with this as well. It seems to me there is a major difference between a passive aggressive call-out and one where you stand your ground. I had an instance where a gentleman came up to me because he said I was talking loudly and I had used a non-pc term, he was standing over my wife and I and gesturing like he was talking down to us, reigning from on high with white knight fervor. I engaged him saying I understood and while I was still talking to him he turned around and stormed away mid sentence. I have NO respect for someone who does some hit and run bs like he did. I was going to tell the bastard that I agreed with him!
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My 4 year old daughter would have turned around and told him not to say fuck its a bad word.
At least thats what she says to me when I let it slip.
View Quote

My son probably would have done something similar.

Loud voiced 5 year old: "Mommy, that man's using Cola Warrior words and we're not at Cola Warrior! That's naughty! "

They got explained as "Cola Warrior words" because guys at Cola Warrior doesn't always moderate their language, especially once the booze starts flowing (nor would I expect them to). Next thing you know, a 4 year old is screaming out "FUCK THE CABER!!!" along with all the other men. Can't tell him the words are off limits when everyone else is using them, so they get confined to Cola Warrior only.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#9]
You turn around and say, "watch your goddamn mouth. There's fucking children present. There's no reason for a shithead like you to be around here, asshole."
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Should have attempted to escalate the situation. He already tainted that child's ears with the curse word.
You can't take the word out of the child's ear, but you can knock the air out of that geezer's windpipe. What
that child needed to see was somebody get swiftly reprimanded for using foul language.

Cursing in private isn't terrible. It's something we've all done and we should all strive to reduce. Public is a
different story entirely. Your filter should be extremely strong in public, there's just no excuse. Personally,
I would of thrown down and gave a high five to the little girl after all was said and done, YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Should have attempted to escalate the situation. He already tainted that child's ears with the curse word.
You can't take the word out of the child's ear, but you can knock the air out of that geezer's windpipe. What
that child needed to see was somebody get swiftly reprimanded for using foul language.

Cursing in private isn't terrible. It's something we've all done and we should all strive to reduce. Public is a
different story entirely. Your filter should be extremely strong in public, there's just no excuse. Personally,
I would of thrown down and gave a high five to the little girl after all was said and done, YMMV.
View Quote

Same question as before: So what damage is done by saying the word "Fuck" in public?  You know, as opposed to the damage of saying "cuff".
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Just keep in mind that the people engaging in such often get violent when called out on it.  Which makes sense is predictable, since they have no shame.

Best bet is to treat them like rabid dogs.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This.

Just keep in mind that the people engaging in such often get violent when called out on it.  Which makes sense, since they have no shame.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Just keep in mind that the people engaging in such often get violent when called out on it.  Which makes sense, since they have no shame.

Same question: And what major problem are you solving by doing so?
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
This is the truth.

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Nobody should have to hear something they find offensive  or upsetting.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Meh, not my kid, not my problem.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

^  This.... and poor parenting.   More public shaming would help as well.    

I have been in line and some random jerk behind me is raising a raucous over how long the line is and how the employees stupid or some such nonsense.   I don't hesitate to call them out on it.... and they quickly shut their yap.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

never know when your going to be in the plumbing aisle and you just gotta get a hit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting trip BTW, on the way out at the checkout some guy in front goes to dig in his pocket to pull out change and a crack pipe falls to the ground. No one noticed but me.

He picked it up quick and shoved it back in his pocket.

never know when your going to be in the plumbing aisle and you just gotta get a hit

From what I have seen.... more than likely someone in the paint aisle.    Painters.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Same question as before: So what damage is done by saying the word "Fuck" in public?  You know, as opposed to the damage of saying "cuff".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's conduct unbecoming of an adult for one. And to say it around a child?

It's noise pollution, much like screaming, or moaning in public and the word definitely
isn't necessary in the year 2016.

It's something I'd expect delinquent 16 year olds to be saying in public, not senior citizens.
Kids these days need to have good role models more than ever.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#20]
good job OP
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Edit:

I just derailed my own thread
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They're just words....it's kind of retarded we make some phonetic phrases vulgar, yet another one that sounds different but means the exact same thing are ok around kids.

It's like saying "bless you" after a sneeze, really, a silly holdout from long gone "polite" Victorian language. There's no fucking point in a rational society for exclamatory language to be bad and hidden from people.

View Quote

How far are you willing to let that go? Some pathetic thug going on, describing explicit sexual acts  he wants to do to some other female he sees in a store accompanied with vulgar actions, in front of kids and old ladies?

IMO, we have decay of manners and decency because this behavior is not called out.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I call people out all the time for cussing around my kids.  I have 4 of them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's noise pollution, much like screaming, or moaning in public and the word definitely

It's something I'd expect delinquent 16 year olds to be saying in public, not senior citizens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the only actual damage done is that you chose to be offended by it. Would you also be offended if he had said:

Cuff -- same sounds, backwards
Sexual intercourse -- same meaning
Fick - German for "fuck"

Please explain why or why not, in each case.

Just FYI, most people first hear the awful word very early in childhood and probably hear it hundreds, thousands, or even millions of times while growing up. When was the first time you heard it? What actual damage did it do to you? Were there lasting psychological scars that you carry to this day and make you cry into your pillow every night?
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Nobody should have to hear something they find offensive  or upsetting.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

How far are you willing to let that go? Some pathetic thug going on, describing explicit sexual acts  he wants to do to some other female he sees in a store accompanied with vulgar actions, in front of kids and old ladies?

IMO, we have decay of manners and decency because this behavior is not called out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's like saying "bless you" after a sneeze, really, a silly holdout from long gone "polite" Victorian language. There's no fucking point in a rational society for exclamatory language to be bad and hidden from people.

Same question as before: And what actual damage does it do if someone does this?

When did you first hear sex talk? Did it damage you? How?
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
One of the tragic, unintended consequences of military service: it turns you into a foul mouthed motherfucker. For LIFE.
View Quote

I work in a fire station.  We curse like sailors. Then we turn it off like a light switch when in public or around kids.  The inability to control your mouth indicates lack of brainpower or willpower.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This.  I call people out all the time for cussing around my kids.  I have 4 of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which simply means that you drew more emphasis to the words, thereby telling your kids that these particular words have some magical power that other words don't.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:34:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's bad manners and inconsiderate.

Just like the fucking asshole walking around Lowes with an open spit cup, spitting some foul smelling shit into it. I told him that it was disgusting.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I work in a fire station.  We curse like sailors. Then we turn it off like a light switch when in public or around kids.  The inability to control your mouth indicates lack of brainpower or willpower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of the tragic, unintended consequences of military service: it turns you into a foul mouthed motherfucker. For LIFE.

It may, but no one has been able to name any actual damage that mere words do. I don't feel the need to correct others behavior unless it actually matters to me. Better to just ignore it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#33]
you are like that guy on here who thought he was doing the world a service by telling people at church to dress nicer.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Just like the fucking asshole walking around Lowes with an open spit cup, spitting some foul smelling shit into it. I told him that it was disgusting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"bad manners and inconsiderate"  So the only actual damage done is that you chose to listen and be offended by it. Correct?
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Depends how much it means to you. I don't really have a filter in public but I tend to speak very quietly unless someone in a store asks me if I need help. I assume he was loudly proclaiming whatever meaningless bullshit it was and the volume is what got to you.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#36]
You should have pantsed the old bastard.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#38]
[personal attack removed - Paul]
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Same question as before: And what actual damage does it do if someone does this?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get you. You don't care to have manners or be considerate of others. Same as my brother. Just don't give a fuck what someone else thinks.

Probably see nothing wrong in strolling around in your PJs with you Sponge Bob slippers on in public, either.

Or see no need in maintaining personal hygiene. Don't care if you're BO is disgusting to someone else, because.....fuck them. Right? No actual harm done.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The ER can be a pretty foul-language-rich environment as well (I think some of my older battle-axe ER nurses used to be truck-stop waitresses... And I'm no prude myself... )... But it's not done in front of patients, or kids.
View Quote

So, does it do any actual harm to kids?
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have a theory on how people will respond. Another thread prompted me to start this one.

While standing in line at the return desk an old man at the back of the line was bitching and moaning and about some incident in the parking lot. In addition to other profanity he dropped the F bomb. There was a father and a small daughter standing right in front of him. I turned around and chastised the old man asked him to watch his language as there was small children around.

Should I have minded my own business?

(If I was in Alabama should I have called the cops to have him arrested?)
View Quote

Sorry OP you lost me at expecting the average American dirtbag to  not, curse, not wear PJs to town, not stink like ass, or cover themselves with flowerdy stench so they leave in their wake a string of asthma attacks and generally not be shitheads and dickweeds.   And then there are the cupcakes that go around being insulted by every effin thing.  Waa effin waa.  Back in the day cursing would have got your faced pushed in and so would have mouthing off about it.  MYOB and explain to your kids that it is inappropriate.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I get you. You don't care to have manners or be considerate of others. Same as my brother. Just don't give a fuck what someone else thinks.

Probably see nothing wrong in strolling around in your PJs with you Sponge Bob slippers on in public, either.

Or see no need in maintaining personal hygiene. Don't care if you're BO is disgusting to someone else, because.....fuck them. Right? No actual harm done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, that is a stupid assumption, and plainly wrong. I rarely cuss in public.

I just don't much care when I see people do it, because any kid is going to hear that word a few million times by the time they get to adulthood, anyway. I just think it is amusing that people get their panties in a bunch over something that stupid -- when it is clear that the only actual damage is that they chose themselves to be offended.  I treat it like I would BO -- I ignore it and walk away. There isn't much chance that me bitching is going to change someone's long-term habits, anyway.

When did you first hear the F word? How did it damage you?

ETA: It is none of my business what other people wear to Home Depot and I can't figure out any way that it actually changes my day, whatever they wear.  That is, unless i was the kind of person who had an obsession about getting worked up about things that really don't affect me at all and got some joy from feeling self-righteous.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Edit:

I just derailed my own thread
View Quote

You edited immediately before I clicked the quote button.

You're the one missing it. The issue wasn't the single use of the word fuck, the issue was a drunk punk yelling FTP and throwing an object that struck the police car who was trying to maintain crowd control.
Yup whoooooosh right over your head. Your little thread here proves it.

So youre saying that if you're on duty and trying to maintain crowd control you're going to stand by and let people in the crowd throw objects at your patrol car?
BS.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Whats funnier than old people ranting and raving?  Let him be.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#45]
You did what you thought best, OP. Not gonna fault you for that.

For myself, people are assholes, and dangerously unpredictable (in my experience), so I try to keep my interactions with strangers to a minimum.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The ER can be a pretty foul-language-rich environment as well (I think some of my older battle-axe ER nurses used to be truck-stop waitresses... And I'm no prude myself... )... But it's not done in front of patients, or kids.

Yes. It desensitizes them to rude asshole behavior and exacerbates the problem for every generation to come. It's the sort of thing that leads to the fall of civilizations.

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So the only actual damage done is that you chose to be offended by it. Would you also be offended if he had said:

Fick - German for "fuck"

Just FYI, most people first hear the awful word very early in childhood and probably hear it hundreds, thousands, or even millions of times while growing up. When was the first time you heard it? What actual damage did it do to you? Were there lasting psychological scars that you carry to this day and make you cry into your pillow every night?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fick - German for "fuck"

It damages me just about as much as seeing somebody pick their nose, smack gum or hock loogies. It's just something adults shouldn't be doing around other people in public settings.

If you're in an environment where that type of behavior is standard affair such as a bar, then fine. In a public place? No sir.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm not going to insert questionable vocabulary into kids' brains that may or may not need to be there... Though I see plenty of kids who already have it in there... And their parents feign surprise (but don't discipline them) when their darlings bust out with it in the ER.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not going to insert questionable vocabulary into kids' brains that may or may not need to be there... Though I see plenty of kids who already have it in there... And their parents feign surprise (but don't discipline them) when their darlings bust out with it in the ER.

So, no actual harm. OK.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#50]
wow , so many who cant vote for Trump because he cussed in public.  

who would have thunk it.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top