Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Two of these maybe, and you could use the charge pump pressure for auxillary hydraulics like my 430 does.

Two of these for driving the axles and a little work with sprocket size to get the right ratio.

An AMC 256 or some other smaller engine, and you're off.

That pump and motor at 3300 RPM would turn the axles (if 1:1) 622 RPM.  That's probably a bit fast.  Need bigger displacement motors or reduction in the sprockets.  If the tire was 5' diameter that'd be 111 mph .  So let's say 4:1 reduction off the motor to the axles.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Max speed 50 k/hr.

It'll take you anywhere . . . eventually.

View Quote

It appears to be a giant skid steer

50 kph is probably scary as shit
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#3]
That is badass!
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:34:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Dr. Benton Quest couldn't have designed it any better!
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:46:57 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a skid steer with floatation tires.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#6]
it really needs a jet drive for open water travel

or a PTU prop like the schwimmwagen
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So.....3 easy payments of $19.95?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much and where can I buy one ?

3.85-4.1 million Rubles
http://www.sherp.pro/ru/sherp/
Google Translate to English
So.....3 easy payments of $19.95?  

LOL
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:48:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The videos really only show it turning on snow/ice, I wonder what it would be like on dirt and rock?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not sure how old that Russian vid is, but there was something similar here in the USA in I think the 20's -30's, I think made by Ford
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, that concept is Russian too
https://youtu.be/RbDe5dEu07I

Not sure how old that Russian vid is, but there was something similar here in the USA in I think the 20's -30's, I think made by Ford

It kind of reminded me of the front part of a Gama Goat on steroids.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Holy shit, you have way over complicated the drive train IMO.

Two solid axles capable of handling big tires, open differentials.  Proportioned brakes per side would accomplish all the steering.

Tires are providing the flotation not the hull, shit I would be willing to get wet if I had to.  Prototype would be a tube frame with no tub.

I need tires and more alcohol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$55,000 actually doesn't sound unreasonable to me.  The tires themselves are likely $6-10,000 a set going from my experience buying similar sized wheel loader tires.  Although they're likely not the same load rating, they look like fairly custom paddle jobs.

A large skid-steer brand new isn't far from that price point.

I want to build one.  Just no idea where to find tires.
My very first thought was it wouldn't be that hard to build similar, but where to source a tire.

Yeah, shit. I'm sure some garage mad scientist could easily build one, if you could get the tires.

You need a hull, with 2 axle housings, sealed wheel hubs on each side.  Inside the hull, front and rear axle is connected by a roller chain to a hydraulic motor, one for each side.  Motors are driven by variable piston pumps, one for each side.  Pumps are driven by whatever you want for an engine.  Speed and direction is mechanical linkage to the variable piston pumps.  That's it.  You can get more complicated from there if you want additional features but that's the bare minimum.
Holy shit, you have way over complicated the drive train IMO.

Two solid axles capable of handling big tires, open differentials.  Proportioned brakes per side would accomplish all the steering.

Tires are providing the flotation not the hull, shit I would be willing to get wet if I had to.  Prototype would be a tube frame with no tub.

I need tires and more alcohol.

The part in green doesn't work all that well in the real world.  A buddy of mine made a machine steered like that, it works, but not well.  When you brake one side it makes the other side speed up and really kills your torque to the wheels.  Bombardier had a slick planetary setup in the Bombi differentials to get around that problem.  In a straight line the planetary does nothing, but when you brake one side it comes into play and starts reducing the gearing and increasing the torque to the un-braked side.  
I had our Bombi differential apart at work last month to change some seals.
Pics

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't worry about flat tires, just foam fill them. And that machine ain't going far in the bogs without more ground clearance. I recommend planetaries at the hubs.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Was doen first in the USA. One example from the 1920s, but the theory dates to the 19th Century:

'Merica!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top