Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/6/2016 10:49:16 PM EDT
I did not see any of the Y-Wing fighters in the new Star Wars movie. They remind me of the A-10 Warthog, what happen ?
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:54:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I did not see any of the Y-Wing fighters in the new Star Wars movie. They remind me of the A-10 Warthog, what happen ?
View Quote

They were more like the A-6 Intruder.  Awesome during their time... 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, the Resistance is a non-political offshoot of what became of the Rebel Alliance.

The "fleet" (with the y-wings, etc.) is under the control of the political central power (the Republic).
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#3]
They were from the clone wars. Why keep them?
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Republic had to start footing the bill for the galactic FSA, figured it only needed one fighter.  Classic guns vs. grade E but edible butter, really.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Yet the rebels had the X-Wing, and the Empire still had TIE fighters.

And the USAF still has the F-15... and B-52.

Y wing must have been the Brewster Buffalo of the Rebellion.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Congress probably shut Y wing program down,
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I think they were considered old during the original trilogy
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:00:01 PM EDT
[#8]
The the Y-wing was more the "Douglas TBD Devastator" than the A-10.

But we also didn't see newer designs like the A-wing or B-wings seen at Endor, nor did we see much of the fleet except for the brief bright glow as some of them exploded around Hosnian Prime.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quite simply, the Y wing wasn't sexy enough to make the cut for the new movie. People want to see fighters fighting, not everything else.

I have a lot of things that I could say about the "rebel fleet" in the new movie. The biggest one being, why the hell is it still called the rebel fleet when these guys won the war!?"
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:00:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Y wing must have been the Brewster Buffalo devastator torpedo bomber of the Rebellion.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#11]
The Y-wings were obsolete during the battle of Yavin when the first Death Star was destroyed.   I think only 1 or 2 survived.  Anyhow they were definatly out of service by the time the assault on Star Killer base takes place.  The T-70 X-Wings are an upgrade over the 65s,  but surprisingly the A and B wing were nowhere to be found.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:01:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I think they were considered old during the original trilogy
View Quote

^^^
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I never read the books, I just remember having the toy and seeing them in Return of the Jedi.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Y wing must have been the Brewster Buffalo devastator torpedo bomber of the Rebellion.

I almost went with the Devastator.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:10:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Y-wings were obsolete during the battle of Yavin when the first Death Star was destroyed.   I think only 1 or 2 survived.  Anyhow they were definatly out of service by the time the assault on Star Killer base takes place.  The T-70 X-Wings are an upgrade over the 65s,  but surprisingly the A and B wing were nowhere to be found.
View Quote

I don't even know what to say about this.  I'm actually hoping you made this up.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The parallels of the Y-wing trench run in Episode IV and the failed Devastator torpedo run at Midway are interesting. Both were abject failures that set up the success for other craft.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't even know what to say about this.  I'm actually hoping you made this up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Y-Wings were definitely part of the second Death Star run in ROTJ...
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:17:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not a SW nerd, I'm just a fan. But from what I remember from a lore book or two:

The Y-Wing is older technology and it was designed as a bomber. Slower with average shields. Has 4 torpedoes, ion cannon turret on top, and light laser guns for main weapons.

The X-Wing is a newer design. Best "air superiority" fighter in the galaxy. It also doubles as an attack aircraft with its dual torps. Quad laser cannons for main gun. Same shields as Y-Wing.

The A-Wing is a newer design. An interceptor with best speed and lightest shields of all rebel fighters. Armed with dual cannons and 2 torps.

The B-Wing is the newest design. A heavy attack fighter. Has 4 cannons, 2 ion cannons, 6 torps, and heavy shields. Speed is slightly slower than X-Wing, but faster than Y-Wing.

I'll bet we see some of these return for Ep. VIII.

EDIT:  Just found this with a basic search  http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Rebel_Alliance_starfighter_classes
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:17:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Y wings were supposedly old tech dating back to the clone wars. In the cartoons, they had nice looking hull plating but they stripped all the shit off by the battle of yavin to eek as much speed out of the old crappy design. I am guessing the t-70 x-wings are a good enough generalist for a splinter organization like the "resistance" that seems to have even less resources than the rebels. However, I bet Disney felt that people most identified with x wings and tie fighters and didn't want to waste time modeling other ships. I would like to see B-wings blowing the shit out of some star destroyers and fleet battles.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:20:47 PM EDT
[#20]
The Resistance is not the Rebellion or the New Republic. They only had two squadrons of X-wings (it's in the movie novelization).
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#21]
The Y Wing was modeled off the TBF Avenger,hence the rear turret.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#22]
After defeating the Empire, the rebels stopped making payments on their  entire fleet, so all the ships were taken by repo men.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:23:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The parallels of the Y-wing trench run in Episode IV and the failed Devastator torpedo run at Midway are interesting. Both were abject failures that set up the success for other craft.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think they were more of a Dauntless. They were effective in attacking shipping and other limited uses throughout the war.

However, Wookiepedia says there were 2 squadrons at the Battle of Endor.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#24]
To save money, the Republic decided to replace their large number of different starfighters with one multi-role starfighter program that was manufactured on so many different worlds it could never be cancelled. This became known as the Jedi Star Fighter program.

Sadly, the Jedi Star Fighter program ran into a lot of delays and the Republic fleet eventually demanded that the Republic Senate retire the beloved Y-wing so that they could buy more Jedi Star Fighters. Despite this the Jedi Star Fighter wasn't ready for operations by the time of Episode VII, missing its IOC date due to droid integration problems.

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#25]
And no TIE Interceptors to be seen either.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:36:48 PM EDT
[#26]
The resistance is merely tolerated by the New Republic.  The New Republic gave some fighters to the Resistance but that's about it.  I doubt they'd give a huge array of fighters.  Kinda bummed and kinda OK with just x-wings and tie fighters in TFA.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:41:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quite simply, the Y wing wasn't sexy enough to make the cut for the new movie. People want to see fighters fighting, not everything else.

I have a lot of things that I could say about the "rebel fleet" in the new movie. The biggest one being, why the hell is it still called the rebel fleet when these guys won the war!?"
View Quote
From what I understand, it actually still IS a rebel fleet, It's Leia's personal PMC fleet space gallivanting around fighting First Order.

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:43:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
And no TIE Interceptors to be seen either.
View Quote

One of the things I wanted to see, but not surprised I didn't. Tie fighters in rebellion colors, and perhaps a repurposed star destroyer.

Guess I had to settle for a rebellion pilot stealing a tie fighter for about three minutes.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

To save money, the Republic decided to replace their large number of different starfighters with one multi-role starfighter program that was manufactured on so many different worlds it could never be cancelled. This became known as the Jedi Star Fighter program.

Sadly, the Jedi Star Fighter program ran into a lot of delays and the Republic fleet eventually demanded that the Republic Senate retire the beloved Y-wing so that they could buy more Jedi Star Fighters. Despite this the Jedi Star Fighter wasn't ready for operations by the time of Episode VII, missing its IOC date due to droid integration problems.

View Quote
sneeeeeeeeeeeerk!

LOL
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:44:52 PM EDT
[#30]
This thread is useless without pics.

I always preferred the B-Wing over the Y-Wing.

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:45:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
From what I understand, it actually still IS a rebel fleet, It's Leia's personal PMC fleet space gallivanting around fighting First Order.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that's an interesting concept! As a matter of fact I am working on a story at the moment that incorporates PMC space-fleets as part of a larger combined fleet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Now that's an interesting concept! As a matter of fact I am working on a story at the moment that incorporates PMC space-fleets as part of a larger combined fleet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

People more versed int the Expanded Universe stuff that Disney is pulling and modifying for the new movies could probably explain it better.

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:51:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This thread is useless without pics.

I always preferred the B-Wing over the Y-Wing.

http://img00.deviantart.net/047d/i/2013/051/a/2/blue_squadron_b_wing_by_froztbite05-d5votuy.jpg
View Quote

B-Wing is best wing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:51:58 PM EDT
[#34]
TIE Defender would have made the movie too short by wrecking all the rebels.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:52:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The resistance is merely tolerated by the New Republic.  The New Republic gave some fighters to the Resistance but that's about it.  I doubt they'd give a huge array of fighters.  Kinda bummed and kinda OK with just x-wings and tie fighters in TFA.
View Quote

I'm hoping the Republic gets back in the game and there's some good ship battles.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:53:41 PM EDT
[#36]
double tap

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:54:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

After defeating the Empire, the rebels stopped making payments on their  entire fleet, so all the ships were taken by repo men.
View Quote

12 parsecs? In this junker?

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:56:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The Resistance is not the Rebellion or the New Republic. They only had two squadrons of X-wings (it's in the movie novelization).
View Quote

So where is the big ass fleet.

Can't tell me a massive threat to planets only gets checked by 20 x wings
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:57:44 PM EDT
[#39]
if you go by the expanded universe Y-Wings were outdated during the times of "A New Hope" and had been relegated to a rear line fighter/bomber role once the rebellion had better fighters like B-Wings, X-Wings and A-Wings.

There, i had my nerd moment for the day
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:59:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm hoping the Republic gets back in the game and there's some good ship battles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since we're doing the spoiler thing here already... I thought the heart of the Republic, and the fleet, got wiped out.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:00:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Cap'n kirk lost them all to the Kardashians.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:09:21 AM EDT
[#43]
eh, I always like the Y-wing in the games.
Slower than an X-wing, but with better armor and shields. Had 2 more torps than the X-wing as well. Those Ion cannons come in handy as well.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:10:09 AM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:10:13 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Since we're doing the spoiler thing here already... I thought the heart of the Republic, and the fleet, got wiped out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I thought I read as well.  The first order had to know the senate was so that's why it was targeted (the senate moved around a few times to show solidarity in the galaxy).  So now it is set up for the rebels and empire as the only sides.

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:14:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:16:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Z95 Headhunters are where it's at.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:16:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That's what I thought I read as well.  The first order had to know the senate was so that's why it was targeted (the senate moved around a few times to show solidarity in the galaxy).  So now it is set up for the rebels and empire as the only sides.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to admit I liked it when the planet the senate was on got zapped. It seemed to say to me.

"Man fuck your prequel, political bullshit with a rusty doomsday machine!"
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:19:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
TIE Defender would have made the movie too short by wrecking all the rebels.
View Quote

Werd.  Loved that craft in the TIE Fighter game.  

Hell a TIE Interceptor or Advanced would kill them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:22:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Someone buy this man a beer
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top