BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/29/2002 9:23:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#1]
He could have flipped out and chopped your head off.

Consider yourself lucky.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have heard that the Wal-Mart Ninja can kick the Mall Ninja's a@@!

Be careful!
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:31:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Probably just nosy...you DID say he's elderly.
View Quote

Elderly Kung-Fu Master?
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#6]
He has the right to detain you if he believes you're attempting to steal merchandise.  That is the only way he could legally detain you.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on your state, but unless your state has hypersensitive privacy laws, they do. Just like they can videotape/record/archive whatever you do in their store (except inside changing rooms/restrooms, probably). And of course, they can 'detain' *you* if they think you stole from them (or tried).

The constitution only protects you from the government, not from private corporations.

And most retailers take the 'If you're not a thief, you have nothing to hide' logic quite seriously. Right or wrong, that's what they do.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#10]
check your state's laws, but I do know that here in Colorado, there is a specific statute that states that retliers do retain the right to detain you if they suspect you are shoplifting, and more importantly, are released from any legal liability when the do detain you.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#11]
WalMart greeters remind me of crochety rangemasters.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 11:42:09 PM EDT
[#12]
It never fails, at the local WM here, if I put the receipt in the bag, when I walk to the door, the elderly door greeter/buggy hander outer/WM Ninja will want to see the receipt.  If I have the receipt in my hand, not a word is said.  They also stop you if anything you bought is too large to be placed inside a bag.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 2:55:06 AM EDT
[#13]
In order to actually detain you against your will, I think they need to see you take something.  I don't think the door guy (who obviously wouldn't have been in this position) can as a matter of course stop you and search through your stuff (your property at this point).  If you set off the alarms, it is likely a different story.  However, they certain have the right to [i]request[/i] to look through your stuff - if you let them, then it is on you.  Next time, try just walking by and see what happens.  Only way to find out, I guess.  They check bags at CompUSA sometimes as well - I just keep walking now, and I've only had them "chase" me out of the store once.  At which point, I explained that while I appreciate their offer to make sure that I didn't leave any of my merchandise back at the counter, I politely decline the service.   Guy just looked at me like I was nuts and walked back in.

Rocko
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 4:49:02 AM EDT
[#14]
My standard response for years now is this say your receipt total is for $56.95 "Sure you can look through my bag, and I will only charge you $56.95 to do it."  No one has taken me up on it yet.

It is my property, they will pay me to look at it; or they won't get to tlook at it.  Simple.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:12:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I tell them to call the real"cops"if they think I stole'something[;)] while walking by them toward the parking lot.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:21:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Never question Wal Mart.  They know what's best for you......

seriously, at the wal mart here the recipts have  "# items sold..." in bold print so they can easyly see if there's anything "extra" in your bag.  When I buy ammo it has to be paid for at the sporting goods counter.  Then I'm walking around the store with a bag and recipt, seems to easy to throw a few more things in.  If they want to look in my bag when I leave, I'm ok with that I didn't steal anything and they're just trying to stop shoplifting.  The way I see it, it's not my store so I don't get to make the rules.  Don't like the rules go somewhere else.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:24:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:30:02 AM EDT
[#18]
You drove your car into their parking lot also, mind if they search it while they are at it?
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:40:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Is Wal Mart public or private property?
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 5:56:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Private property. but you do not give up your rights when entering private property.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#21]
This is more a hardware store thing, but has anyone ever been accused of trying to steal a part you brought in to match? I haven't, but I'm sure that most hardware stores probably take a regular loss of nuts, bolts, and screws because they know they'd PO half their honest customers if they tried to cut that mode of loss.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 6:34:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is Wal Mart public or private property?
View Quote

The only thing that being on their private property vs. public property gives them the right to do is ask you to leave - at that point, if you refused, you could be considered as trespassing.  Since trying to leave is exactly what you are doing in the first place...

Rocko
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Mistrust can work both ways.

Went to an Electronics Store to "test drive" some stereo speakers. I brought my own CD because I knew what the music should sound like.

I made d*mn sure the dust cover got a "Paid" sticker on it, before going in!  Give 'em NO excuse to give me a hard time about walking out with it.

Wally World is a tad extreme.  Never had any other place carry a purchased rifle out to the parking lot, for me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 7:39:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
And most retailers take the 'If you're not a thief, you have nothing to hide' logic quite seriously. Right or wrong, that's what they do.
View Quote

Dave_A, I'm not saying that you believe this, but, I hate that 'If you're not a thief, you have nothing to hide' crap. By them searching my bag, they are calling me a thief. Imagine if a search warrant of your house was issued using this logic. "Well judge, if they're not a thief, they should have nothing to hide".

Just taking it to an absurd level. And again, I'm not saying that you agree with the premise.

Quoted:
My standard response for years now is this say your receipt total is for $56.95 "Sure you can look through my bag, and I will only charge you $56.95 to do it." No one has taken me up on it yet.
View Quote

LOL!!! I'm going to try this.  [:D]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 7:41:40 AM EDT
[#25]
The funny thing is, if they arrest you for stealing while inside the store, any good lawyer will get you off the hook. You haven't stolen it till you exit the store.

On the other-hand they do have the right to search you, your bags etc, while you are on store property (it is their property). If you don't agree with their policies I'm sure they will ask you to not come again.

I always play the "can I slip past them" game :-). since I don't shoplift it's all in good fun. :-P

The fun part is getting DVDs out of the electronics section and buying them at the front of the store... It makes them so angry!
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 7:52:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I figgure it this way. By searching my bags they are cutting down on some shoplifting. This in return helps to not have to raise the prices of the shit I just bought to cover the loss of shoplifting.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:02:44 AM EDT
[#28]
You have the right to tell them to fuck off. In return they have the right to tell you to fuck off, permanently. Their game, their rules; but you have the right not to play.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:15:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:21:34 AM EDT
[#31]
I've noticed that the only time they stop me is when I have bought an item that doesn't fit in the plastic bag.  Like the party pack toilet paper.  I don't have a problem with them asking  to check at that point.  But when all my items are in plastic bags and they are have the registers in sight as they work that front door, then I have a problem with that.  

That's when my wife gets upset at me and promises never to bring me back.  Lucky me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:37:12 AM EDT
[#32]
I think another factor in regards to the frequency of searches is the store configuration.  Half of the stores in my area are set up like the older Kmarts, where there is an entrance/ exit, and a dedicated exit by the cash registers.  Like others have mentioned, I've only been searched when I've had an object that was too large to bag, and once when I didn't have the receipt in my hand.

When paying for ammo at the stores in the area that require it be sold only in the sporting goods area, they tie the handles together and staple the receipt to the bag, so nothing else "falls" in.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#33]
You can look in my bag when you pry it from MY COLD DEAD HANDS!

I've had them practicaly beg me to let them look in my bag. Maybe after the whup my ass!

And another thing. Ever had the clerk at a ROB ME PLEASE use a marker on money you give them to see if it's counterfeit? It pisses me off for some reason. When they hand me my change, I grab their pen and check the money that they just gave me. Some of them laugh and some of them roll their eyes but I do it anyway.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
And another thing. Ever had the clerk at a ROB ME PLEASE use a marker on money you give them to see if it's counterfeit?
View Quote

I think they're just marking it. I've always wondered if the marking policy isn't primarily aimed at employee theft rather than armed robbery stuff.  Some guy sticks up a 7-11, gets nabbed a block away - I'm guessing any money on his person will be presumed stolen.  The marking business seems like it'd only work if you had a distinctive mark or you were the only store doing this.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
seriously, at the wal mart here the recipts have  "# items sold..." in bold print so they can easyly see if there's anything "extra" in your bag.  When I buy ammo it has to be paid for at the sporting goods counter.  Then I'm walking around the store with a bag and recipt, seems to easy to throw a few more things in.  If they want to look in my bag when I leave, I'm ok with that I didn't steal anything and they're just trying to stop shoplifting.  The way I see it, it's not my store so I don't get to make the rules.  Don't like the rules go somewhere else.
View Quote

Not true-- WalMart never looks at the number of items. They are supposed to, but they never do... Also, who cares about number of items? I can buy 5 different packs of gum, then go swap them out for 5 CDs. If they just relied on the item count, they just lost...

The way I see it-- its a hassle. I paid for the stuff-- it IS mine and I have the right to refuse illegal searches and leave the premisses.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And another thing. Ever had the clerk at a ROB ME PLEASE use a marker on money you give them to see if it's counterfeit?
View Quote

I think they're just marking it. I've always wondered if the marking policy isn't primarily aimed at employee theft rather than armed robbery stuff.  Some guy sticks up a 7-11, gets nabbed a block away - I'm guessing any money on his person will be presumed stolen.  The marking business seems like it'd only work if you had a distinctive mark or you were the only store doing this.
View Quote

They are marking it to see if its counterfeit. Nothing to do with armed robbery or employee theft-- there would be a ton of vandalized bills out there if that were the case, when all they would have to do is record serial numbers.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Who worries about the greeters, they are just there to deter theft not to catch thieves. 90% of the time there is a real shoplifter LP will radio the greeters and tell them to let them go, once the shoplifter is in the parking lot they are at the "point of no return" since they have left the store with merchandise they did not pay for and are not merely showing intent to steal. Once in the parking lot the LP will stop the shoplifter and detain them (including cuffs if necessary) in the security room until police are there to pick the offender up.

Jake
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#38]
I always say "No" and glare at them.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Why hassle the old folks that still have to have a job?   I just smile and chit chat with them while thanking the powers that be that it isn't me working the doors at WalMart....
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
CompUSA always wants to check your receipt vs. what you purchased.  I've started to just walk past them now.  Not going to let them treat me like a criminal.
View Quote

Yep!!  Fry's does the same thing here in Sac.  Once I actually had a lady follow me out saying I must stop.  I replied I did not......so far the cops haven't showed up[:)]

Sgtar15

PS E-mail sent
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 10:36:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Who worries about the greeters, they are just there to deter theft not to catch thieves. 90% of the time there is a real shoplifter LP will radio the greeters and tell them to let them go, once the shoplifter is in the parking lot they are at the "point of no return" since they have left the store with merchandise they did not pay for and are not merely showing intent to steal. Once in the parking lot the LP will stop the shoplifter and detain them (including cuffs if necessary) in the security room until police are there to pick the offender up.

Jake
View Quote

, if some store-rent-a-cop tries to touch me in anyway, he will have a glock 36 shoved up his nose, handcuffs?  You have got to be kidding.  Somebody trying to handcuff me better have a real badge , otherwise, I take it as some nutcase truying to kidnap me - fear for my life...etc.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jake
View Quote

, if some store-rent-a-cop tries to touch me in anyway, he will have a glock 36 shoved up his nose, handcuffs?  You have got to be kidding.  Somebody trying to handcuff me better have a real badge , otherwise, I take it as some nutcase truying to kidnap me - fear for my life...etc.
View Quote

The Wal-mart in my town employs off-duty cops as security, if they all do that you better be real careful where you shove that glock. Also anyone who thinks it's not shoplifting till you leave the store just stick some merchandise in your pocket with someone watching and you'll find out how wrong you are. I personally witnessed a guy raise hell at the door one time, I don't think he actually stole anything but he caused such a scene that he got himself cuffed and carried out to a squad car in a real embarrassing fashion anyway. I'd rather just let em look in the bag, if their accusing me of being a thief by doing so they're accusing the twenty or so people coming out behind me too.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In order to actually detain you against your will, I think they need to see you take something.  I don't think the door guy (who obviously wouldn't have been in this position) can as a matter of course stop you and search through your stuff (your property at this point).  If you set off the alarms, it is likely a different story.  However, they certain have the right to [i]request[/i] to look through your stuff - if you let them, then it is on you.  Next time, try just walking by and see what happens.  Only way to find out, I guess.  They check bags at CompUSA sometimes as well - I just keep walking now, and I've only had them "chase" me out of the store once.  At which point, I explained that while I appreciate their offer to make sure that I didn't leave any of my merchandise back at the counter, I politely decline the service.   Guy just looked at me like I was nuts and walked back in.

Rocko
View Quote

I have managed to set of walmarts door alarms about 6 times in the past 3 months. I carry my XM sat receiver and cellphone with me. sometimes the stereo face. this combination can set of their alarms if the radio hasn't discharged properly(this one sets it off as I enter.) or the cell rings at the right time(in or out).

I simply ignore the walmart idiot because I know I haven't done a thing wrong, its the faulty alarms fault. docent matter if they call after me or not. I don't stop. plus their to slow anyhow.

reminds me of Carmaggedon.... to slow ped = splattered ped.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This is more a hardware store thing, but has anyone ever been accused of trying to steal a part you brought in to match? I haven't, but I'm sure that most hardware stores probably take a regular loss of nuts, bolts, and screws because they know they'd PO half their honest customers if they tried to cut that mode of loss.
View Quote

YES!!!! it was at lowes, i had a 1/2" elbow that i had to match, ect. CPVC part. anyhow this elbow i took in was bought from the same store a day ago, still had the stores sticker. AND to top it off was glued to a part that was 12 years old. i bring 6 new ones up teh the counter. she rings up the 6, asks for the one im holding. i ask why. her : i have to ring it up. Me : No you dont. its not yours Her : yes it is, see the sticker.(oooh good logic you stupid bitch. I politly inform her it was bought yesterday. she says its ours and i have to run it up. the and register bitch tries to accuse me of stealing it(very bad thing to do. hate it)!  i ask her... just were does this other part say its from? her "Lowes" me: no you stupid twat the other one!(it should be mentioned she looked like she could be related to Mick Jaggers female side.) Her : looks at it and reads the 12 year old sticker "Samaon's"(like the fish). me :and just where is that store.(but this time a manager has arrived summoned by another register lacky.) Her : I dont know! Me : about 1200 miles away and 12 years ago. Manager : What seems to be the problem. Her : hes tryi (i didnt think it was possible for her to get uglier but she did when i said.) Me: SHE is accusing me of stealing this part which was bought here yesterday. (manager looks at the part and sees is securley fashioned.) Manager: check out those 6, this is his. Me: screw it not worth my time. ill go buy it elsewhere. (at this point i sweep my hand harshley across the counter catchign all 6 parts and flinging them out the door. door was open, nice day.) go fetch! ( i leave and give the one that remained inside a solid kick sending it skipping out into the parking lot and under a truck)

bought the 6 from home depot without incident.

i didnt hang around long enought to see their faces. wasnt interested. to pissed off over the BS.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You can look in my bag when you pry it from MY COLD DEAD HANDS!

I've had them practicaly beg me to let them look in my bag. Maybe after the whup my ass!

And another thing. Ever had the clerk at a ROB ME PLEASE use a marker on money you give them to see if it's counterfeit? It pisses me off for some reason. When they hand me my change, I grab their pen and check the money that they just gave me. Some of them laugh and some of them roll their eyes but I do it anyway.
View Quote

funny thing is marking it is acctuly illegal. modification/defacement of money is 100% illegal. no one gets nailed because putting a mark on it with a marker is not a threat. rewritong benjamin to 100 is. but if the feds wanted to pile up some charges they could do it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Congrats, you just went from Shoplifting to Robbery.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The Wal-mart in my town employs off-duty cops as security, if they all do that you better be real careful where you shove that glock. Also anyone who thinks it's not shoplifting till you leave the store just stick some merchandise in your pocket with someone watching and you'll find out how wrong you are. I personally witnessed a guy raise hell at the door one time, I don't think he actually stole anything but he caused such a scene that he got himself cuffed and carried out to a squad car in a real embarrassing fashion anyway. I'd rather just let em look in the bag, if their accusing me of being a thief by doing so they're accusing the twenty or so people coming out behind me too.
View Quote

When I refer to LPs I'm not talking about those uniformed guards that'll walk you to your car at midnight or those semi-retired people greeters I'm talking about loss prevention agents, the plainclothes "store detectives" that most people don't even know exist. LPs are very well compensated agents of the company who do have arresting authority as long as they are on company property. These guys are good and I hold a lot of respect for them. One is actually a good friend of mine (we'll call him Will) and is regarded as being the best LP in his district, "Will" has the guts to confront and take down shoplifter not knowing if they are armed or not even though he isn't. "Will" is also responsible for several felony arrests each month some of them exceeding $1200 in merchandise at times.

Jake
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

No corpse, no crime.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:41:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Obviously you do not understand. IT IS NOT SHOPLIFTING (or robbery) UNLESS YOU ACTUALLY STOLE SOMETHING! SOME PEOPLE!

[b]rob·ber·y[/b]
n. pl. rob·ber·ies
The act or an instance of unlawfully taking the property of another by the use of violence or intimidation.

[b]shop·lift[/b]
v. shop·lift·ed, shop·lift·ing, shop·lifts
v. intr.
To steal merchandise from a store that is open for business.

v. tr.
To steal (articles or an article) from a store that is open for business.

shoplifter n.
shoplifting n.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top