User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:48:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Wal-mart in my town employs off-duty cops as security, if they all do that you better be real careful where you shove that glock. Also anyone who thinks it's not shoplifting till you leave the store just stick some merchandise in your pocket with someone watching and you'll find out how wrong you are. I personally witnessed a guy raise hell at the door one time, I don't think he actually stole anything but he caused such a scene that he got himself cuffed and carried out to a squad car in a real embarrassing fashion anyway. I'd rather just let em look in the bag, if their accusing me of being a thief by doing so they're accusing the twenty or so people coming out behind me too.
View Quote

When I refer to LPs I'm not talking about those uniformed guards that'll walk you to your car at midnight or those semi-retired people greeters I'm talking about loss prevention agents, the plainclothes "store detectives" that most people don't even know exist. LPs are very well compensated agents of the company who do have arresting authority as long as they are on company property. These guys are good and I hold a lot of respect for them. One is actually a good friend of mine (we'll call him Will) and is regarded as being the best LP in his district, "Will" has the guts to confront and take down shoplifter not knowing if they are armed or not even though he isn't. "Will" is also responsible for several felony arrests each month some of them exceeding $1200 in merchandise at times.

Jake
View Quote

Yes, but loss prevention and asset protection personel are trained in knowing when they have sufficient evidence to take someone down and arrest them. Door security "receipt checkers" are just standing around pretending to check receipts, which, in my opinion, is technically an illegal search since they no longer own the merchandise. As far as I am concerned-- I paid for my stuff from one of their people and further searches are no longer permitted.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:36:36 AM EDT
[#2]
This thread has given me some motivation to screw around with some idiots at lunchtime. I have been in need of a stress release since I am 3 days w.o cigs. I think I will visit the CompUSA right around the corner and buy a couple items for kicks.

I believe that once the transaction is completed and I am the rightful owner of the property, they have no legal claim to examine the property. Nor do they have the right to detain me without producing sufficient evidence to show cause. Just randomly stopping people is not sufficient evidence. Not having a receipt visibly in hand is not sufficient evidence.

I am really crabby today and could use an altercation.

[devil]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top