Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2012 10:07:34 PM EDT
I ordered something off of Amazon Wednesday and it came with USPS tracking. I have been watching it everyday and the item never gets updated. Delivery is due Monday(or so they say).

Last time I used this the "Tracking" only showed an arrival scan from where it was shipped on the East coast. Never was updated until it was delivered then it showed all the stops the package made with times and dates. What is the point of it then?
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Always worked good for me. The USPS guy is the best at delivering packages as well. He carefully places them down. With UPS they just toss them, even if it is a $280 computer part and I am standing just feet away right in front of them.

Tracking worked fine with Fedex, USPS and UPS for all of my orders.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#2]
USPS does not have real tracking like Fed Ex & UPS. They only have delivery confirmation.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup, its craptacular.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:22:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
USPS does not have real tracking like Fed Ex & UPS. They only have delivery confirmation.

This.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#5]
El sucko for sure
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I like to watch the package make the grand tour of the United States before it is delivered. The strangest comment on the tracking page is "The customer woman took the package." What the hell is going on here while I'm at work?
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Makes sense then. My Amazon order also says it has "Fulfilment by Amazon" and with that it will send me a text when the package is out for delivery with USPS. Wonder how that works.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I like to watch the package make the grand tour of the United States before it is delivered. The strangest comment on the tracking page is "The customer woman took the package." What the hell is going on here while I'm at work?

We had a member here who posted his UPS tracking page that had his package get delayed by 2 train derailments in a row.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Not true.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Very sub-par compared to FedEx or UPS.

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:40:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I have had ups, and fedex do the yellow slip drive byes while I was at home expecting the delivery. Evan caught one ups guy almost to his truck, asking him where my package was, and the SO being in the apt. His faced turned purple....
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Not true.

Since when?

Mine showed that it was still at the origin location even though it was already in my hands.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#13]
USPS tracking tends to be dependent upon the post office/sort facility you go through.  If they scan it in, the info is pretty good.  If the don't scan it in, you're doomed to "electronic shipping info received".

The past 4 years living and mailing from near Anchorage, AK has been great as far as package tracking.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Am I in before we have a postal employee drop in and tell us all Baghdad Bob style

that every single one of us are mistaken and USPS tracking is awesome ?

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Insurance is a rip off with them too.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:53:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had a member here who posted his UPS tracking page that had his package get delayed by 2 train derailments in a row.

What are the odds?
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have had ups, and fedex do the yellow slip drive byes while I was at home expecting the delivery. Evan caught one ups guy almost to his truck, asking him where my package was, and the SO being in the apt. His faced turned purple....

Who is Evan? You lost me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who is Evan? You lost me.

kick a man a few beers down...s'all right i wont feel it.

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

What are the odds?
I had a train derailment and a truck fire on the same package once

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#20]
USPS tracking goes like this...

Shipping label created.
Shipping label created.
Shipping label created.
Delivered yesterday.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 11:23:26 PM EDT
[#21]
as a UPS supervisor, i use the Post Office exclusively

figure it out from there
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 11:27:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

USPS tracking goes like this...

Shipping label created.

Shipping label created.

Shipping label created.

Delivered yesterday.

And the one at the bottom is reported first

I love the two train derailments mentioned a bit above. Hard to blame UPS for that one...

But after seeing the nearly constant presence of rolled over FedEx Ground trucks along I-80 in Wyoming, I refuse to have anything to do with them.

FWIW, I only send things USPS Priority Mail when I sell things on eBay.

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
as a UPS supervisor, i use the Post Office exclusively

figure it out from there

Yeah I know you, when the Ups hands the package off to the USPS the package suddenly disappears from tracking. Do you know how many time Amazon has had to reship something because of you...

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Pretty much all the time.

All I ever see is when it was accepted. Even weeks after I got the package....
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 11:42:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Not true.

Since when?

Mine showed that it was still at the origin location even though it was already in my hands.

USPS does have real tracking, but sometimes a package will not be scanned properly at the various USPS locations.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 11:47:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Pretty much all the time.

All I ever see is when it was accepted. Even weeks after I got the package....

What that says is your local post office sucks, and isn't scanning the packages as they go to you.  Seems to be very area and personality dependent.

Also, for anyone with an iphone that prints USPS stuff at home...the new USPS app with the barcode scanner is fricken awesome.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I ordered something off of Amazon Wednesday and it came with USPS tracking. I have been watching it everyday and the item never gets updated. Delivery is due Monday(or so they say).

Last time I used this the "Tracking" only showed an arrival scan from where it was shipped on the East coast. Never was updated until it was delivered then it showed all the stops the package made with times and dates. What is the point of it then?

When you have an $800 purchase turn up lost for a month in the USPS process and call 15 or more times and get told the same thing every time, you realize tracking and insurance are awesome together, pretty worthless apart. I spring for them both now.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 11:53:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Somewhat cuts down on internal thievery.

I am still tracking a package mailed 50 miles away.  I understand that pony express did at least 20 miles a day.  It will be a minimum of 5 days or 10 miles a day for delivery on this package.

Before tracking came in, I had this experience.  The postman shows up and hands me an empty package with a hole ripped down the side.  Duh!  I have the item reshipped at no charge by the manufacturer (same complaint by other customers)before I call the local post lady.  She tells me that my son must have taken the package!  I file a report with the postal inspectors.  The next day, the local headline is that a cocaine ring had been busted in the local post office.

Thank God for postal insurance.  Sold some ham gear on ebay.  It looked like the USPS had dropped the package from a jet aircraft!  Only took one month to have USPS pay off.  My "payment" time worked out to a little over $1 an hour..
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 12:03:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

For broken stuff yes, for lost stuff no. I had a broken item cost me about $300 to replace, they denied, denied, and denied again. I said fuck it. I almost directly after that had a package worth $800 lost for a month or better in Il and USPS paid up.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 12:14:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I 100% agree with ya, marksman121.

I got several USPS packages over two days last week.

I got packages A and B on Day 1.

I got package C on Day 2.

The guy tracking package C said he got a delivery alert that it had been delivered Day 1.

I don't know if my dickheaded mail carrier wanted to spread my joy of recieving packages over several days, or he just couldn't be bothered to deliver them all at once, but he scanned a package as delivered a full 24 hours before he actually got it to me.

I imagine he just drove around with it for a day.

I wonder if he put it in the trunk of his personal vehicle, and drove around with it that evening, too.

The sumbitch leaves random flags on the mailboxes in the up position when he takes mail out of the boxes, and randomly leaves mailbox doors open as he delivers mail and drives away.

It's a real hoot on rainy or windy days.

On trash day, if there's a HerbyCurby on the street within 20 before a mailbox he plays parkinglot polo with it, either bouncing it to the sidewalk on the right or leaving it in the street if it bounces to the left.

I hope the bastage suffers from a ruptured taint all summer long before he dies of Anaphylactic shock while jerking off behind the supermarket on his lunch break.

Parked in the sunshine.

<I feel a little better, now.>

Link Posted: 6/10/2012 12:44:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Yes its totally worthless, I am just happy if my stuff arrives on time.

Link Posted: 6/10/2012 1:26:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 2:27:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

LOL.....Have you ever tried getting insurance $$$ out of UPS? Lots of luck with that. USPS are Saints in comparison. Improper Packaging is UPS's big out on everything.

USPS's Delivery Confirmation with their tracking works well enough to suit me. I really don't have to know where my widget is every second. That said it's people dependant and there is the rub.

If your Postal weenie does not scan it anywhere along the way there are gaps and it's epecially important that they scan it upon delivery.

When I sell on Ebay I never print the pre-paid labels as EBay has their logo and DC code on it. Some workers (proven claim cases) won't scan EBay marked packages out of some kind of spite. I use the self-applied DC stickers and labels then build the cost into the shipping. I've had good luck with that method so far. Most folks ain't going to bitch when they see the cost of the shipping right on the package as long as it's within a buck of what they paid.

BTW....Sellers will send you a DC# but have not really shipped the package yet and only printed the label. Optics Plant is a good example. I've seen a three day gap between the time they sent me a DC# and when it showed accepted at a PO. Happens all the time with many vendors.

Link Posted: 6/10/2012 2:32:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They try to pretend they have package tracking, though.

Link Posted: 6/10/2012 2:32:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This. At least USPS doesn't deliver my packages looking like they were part of a kenyan football game before being dropped at my door by a driver chucking them out the door at high speed while driving past.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 2:34:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yup, its craptacular.

yup
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top