Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#1]
My all time favorite is Jimmy Page.

A few others who don't get much attention are Robert Quine, Billy Duffy, and James Williamson.

Some might say Segovia (sp).

ARH
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Steve Morse yet. I've seen him do things on a guitar that are just amazing. Also John Petrucci from Dream Theater and Allan Holdsworth.

Bass would be either John Myung from Dream Theater or Victor Wooten from Bela Fleck.

Drums for me would be Mike Portnoy, Rod Morgenstein and Neil Peart.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Slayer (!) has 2 lead guitarists, and they are both the best.
View Quote

Slayer is one of my most listened to bands - Nothing can stand up to Reign In Blood!!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Buckethead
View Quote

Holy Chri$t! No Doubt!!!! He is a great one!
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
glenn tipton and kk downing of priest are both incredible versitile guitarists on their own but together they are unstoppable.
View Quote

I am a Priest fan, but tell me, you know that Glenn kicks KK's ass! Be honest now - KK is Glen's bitch, that's why Glen started to dominate the serious soloing! Your opinion?[:D]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Jerry Garcia, even his aimless noodling beats all these chest-thumpers hands down.
View Quote

I'll be greatful - when they're DEAD! [:D] j/k
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd rate Adrian Smith/Dave Murray of Iron Maiden as better than Downing/Tipton from Priest. JMHO, of course (see the above disclaimer.)
View Quote

Finally - an Iron Maiden Fan! I perfer Murray over Smith, to me, Murray is more tasteful.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#8]
When is someone going to say David Gilmour?
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#9]
John McLaughlin
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Jimmy Hendrix, Red House, CrossTown Traffic. Nobody has played like him since.. Smooth Rythm.

Edward Van Halen Lots of stuff
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Jimmy Page HeartBreaker
Alex Lifeson: All around good guitarist
Billy Gibbs: ZZ, Can you say SWING??

There is just no way I can answer this question.
They are all different styles.

Ben
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#11]
David Gilmour
SRV
Buddy Guy
Junior Brown
Jimmy Page
Steve Vai

to name a few......
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#12]
just look at my sigpic
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yngwie J. Malmsteen
View Quote

I agree, Yngwie is awesome.  I don't like Joe Satriani and Steve Vai, even though they are awesome players.  I'm just not into their style.  I also like Chris Impellitterri.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Alvin Lee!  Don't beleive me?  Listen to Woodchoppers Ball and you just might agree.....
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
just look at my sigpic
View Quote

AH YES!! ANGUS KICKS MAJOR ASS!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#16]
David Gilmour and Sonny Landreth !!!

kid223
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#17]
C'mon guys, most of these are pretty predictable.

Throw a couple of curves.  They may not be the most "talented" or be the greatest "shredmasters" but they are great at what they do/did:

Steve Jones
Angus Young
Chuck Berry
Keith Richards
Billy Duffy
Johnny Thunders
Greg Ginn
Pete Townshend
Johnny Winter
Scotty Moore
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#18]
[b][purple][size=6]HENDRIX[/size=6][/purple][/b]

everyone after has learned from him or imitated him

[b][red]SRV[/red][/b]  is a close second

then:

Eric Clapton
Neil Young
Jimmy Page
Jeff Beck
David Gilmour
Eddie VanHalen
Joe Satriani
Eric Johnson
Steve Vai
The Edge
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Angus Young??? Hey, I like the guy, but he doesn't stack up with others mentioned on this page. If you can play a D-G-C-A chord progression you can play just about any AC/DC song.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
[b][purple][size=6]HENDRIX[/size=6][/purple][/b]

[b][red]SRV[/red][/b]  is a close second

View Quote

Both of these gentlemen got their gift from the "gods" They are the ONLY ones who were "born" with the "gift" !!
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
C'mon guys, most of these are pretty predictable.

Throw a couple of curves.  They may not be the most "talented" or be the greatest "shredmasters" but they are great at what they do/did:

Steve Jones

Keith Richards
View Quote

Man, anybody who mentions Steve Jones is alright by me. [:)]

"Keef" Richards is probably the best rhythm guitarist of all time. Funky tuning and only 5 strings on his Telecaster. Just listen to "Shattered".
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Chet Atkins.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey CR, wanna come over and ride my half pipe? We could crank up the entire SST and Frontier catalogs and get agro!
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Can't pick just one so here goes:

Lead: Randy Rhoads, Ozzy's first guitarist
     Phil Keaggy
     John Haggerty, Naked Raygun
     Greg Ginn, Black Flag
     David Gilmour, Floyd

Bass: Geddy Lee, Rush
     Steve Harris, Iron Maiden
     Perry Hardy, The Templars

Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, Green Furniture yer on.

Once a critic said about Greg Ginn, back in the early Black Flag days:  "He's either an absolutely brilliant guitarist or he hasn't got a clue as to what he's doing.  And I can't tell which."
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Gotta be Joe Satriani.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#27]
[img]http://www.hotshotdigital.com/WellAlwaysRemember/Tribute.Images/rorymov1.gif[/img]

Rory Gallagher and...

[img]http://www.zebradisc.com/assets/images/ebbetsfield.cvr.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Who's the best? Christ, it's all so subjective. When I was younger, technical prowess alone dictated whether I thought the guy was any good. But now, I've lived a lot, learned more about life and I listen for different things in music now. I have always thought Dave Gregory of XTC to be one of the most well-respected (among guitarists) but most unknown guitar hero of the 80s and 90s. Very tasteful, emotive, all meat, no filler. The right notes for the right occasion, always.

And he has a webpage: [url]www.guitargonauts.com[/url]

In other musics?

Segovia- all the way. I had a chance to see him when he was on his last tour in 1978, but bec. the rock band I was in had a gig that night, I didn't go. Dumb move.

Les Paul- yeah, that guy. More ideas than Einstein, when it came to a pop-jazz guitar style.

Steve Cropper- Mr. Tasteful himself. Made Booker T and the MGs and the Sam and
Dave records come alive.

Eric Clapton on ONE record: The Blues Breakers with John Mayall, featuring Eric Clapton. Hands down, the best thing he ever did. I play it for teens, and they are floored by it, 37 years later. If you've never heard it, get this CD- unbelieveable.

Pablo Casals- Bach's Six Suites For Violincello-     wow.......

oops- not a guitarist- D'OH!
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#29]
[b]Jaco Pastorius![/b]

An absolute genius on the Fender Jazz Bass.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
[b]Jaco Pastorius![/b]

An absolute genius on the Fender Jazz Bass.
View Quote

I agree- his self-titled solo album, the first thing he ever did, is the BEST thing he ever did. If he had hung up his career after that, and become a high school marching band director [:D], he could have led a long, happy life with the knowledge that at his first turn at bat he had hit one right out of the park. Everything else after that for him musically, and personally, was anti-climactic.

And he didn't even need to play fast- he was that good.

Somehow, if such a thing were possible, he must have sold his soul to be able to play in such an unearthly manner. To describe him, limits him- one has to hear him, to appreciate him. A modern-day Paganini!

A last note: about fifteen years ago or so, a buddy of mine while in NYC got bumped in the shoulder by a shit-caked, foul-talking, drunken street-bum stumbling past him. My friend cursed at him, the guy cursed back, and he walked on. A few streets later, it hit him- that bum was Jaco Pastorius!

How the mighty do fall- maybe the devil had handed him the bill already.....
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#31]
So many great guitarists out there, my personal favorites are:

Jimi Hendrix
Rik Emmett (Triumph)
Donald Roeser (BOC)
David Gilmour (Floyd)
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Duane Allman.

Just cause no one else has mentioned him.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

A last note: about fifteen years ago or so, a buddy of mine while in NYC got bumped in the shoulder by a shit-caked, foul-talking, drunken street-bum stumbling past him. My friend cursed at him, the guy cursed back, and he walked on. A few streets later, it hit him- that bum was Jaco Pastorius!

How the mighty do fall- maybe the devil had handed him the bill already.....
View Quote

Sadly, the devil handed him the bill early on.  Jaco was plagued by mental disorders all of his life.  An excellent book on his life is "Jaco : The Extraordinary and Tragic Life of Jaco Pastorius : 'the World's Greatest Bass Player'" by Bill Milkowski.  It gives great insight as to the muses and demons that drove him.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#34]
To me, it's sorta pointless to be saying one is the all-time best, or A kicks B's ass.

What's most important IMHO is to find someone really distinctive who's got such authority in a style you can hardly let go, and then --- let go and find somone else who adds something special.  Stay open to different styles.

Some of you fellow SRV fans could pay him more respect by learning to spell his name.[:D]

Anyway, anybody who hasn't heard Junior Brown is missing some real guitar work, not to mention a talent for songwriting in the down-home, funny, amd sentimental veins.

I wouldn't count anybody as great who doesn't have a real grounding in the blues.

I saw Buddy Guy on TV last year, and think the man's bizarre, but so many have mentioned him, I really oughta give him a good listen.

Here's what I think is interesting about the responses so far:

1.  Not a single Beatle was mentioned.

2.  We love the Nuge like a brother, but, eell,I didn't see his name yet.  I'm not sure how well I like his music.  Bought a couple of his CD's last year, but don't often listen.  Is he an acquired taste?

3.  There were a few old-timers, but not that any.

4.  Does nobody think Doc Watson is a great picker?

5.  Hey, who gave us the electric guitar and put it on the map? Well a couple people know. Listen to the man!

6.  How many of these guys need to get cleaned
up?

Question: (moved to its own thread)
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#35]
... although there are many, [b]Snorkel_Bob[/b] got it right first.

I see there are quite of few folks that agree.

[b]Joe Satriani[/b] Rocked!

(... notice the past tense)

He played RIGHT in front of me once.

MEZMERIZING to say the least.

edited to say:

Uncle Ted & Gilmore are in the running
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#36]
[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~thegardenweasel/guitar.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#37]
What kind of gear do the players have here?
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
[img]http://www.hotshotdigital.com/WellAlwaysRemember/Tribute.Images/rorymov1.gif[/img]

Rory Gallagher and...

[img]http://www.zebradisc.com/assets/images/ebbetsfield.cvr.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Now here is a person who knows what's up!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:42:20 PM EDT
[#39]
James Taylor
Christopher Cross
Jermaine Jackson

None others can compare.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:36:48 AM EDT
[#40]
there are too many greats to pick just one
theres a lot of great ones listed, but heres a list of people that should be mentioned and are IMO worth checking out.

Zakk Wylde -- ozzys current axeman, check out his solo work, black label society, pride n glory
Slash -- former GnR, solo albums "slashs snakepit"
jimmey thackery --hard rocking bluesman
ronnie earl -- strong bluesman, best seen live
gary moore -- former thin lizzy, solo blues albums
robben ford -- tigerwalk album
eric sardinas - blues slide guitar madman
jonny lang --for a kid hes got a lot of talent
albert king -- RIP, blues legend
danny gatton -- RIP, jazz/bluesman, said to be the worlds best unknown blues guitarist

theres a ton more i cant think of
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:19:24 AM EDT
[#41]
soulzer, your 100% right. tipton is the better of the two. but downing is still great, far better than the mere mortals on this list. glenn is just amazing. i have met them both about two months ago at a show and it was greatt oget up close and watch their fingerwork. amazing! nothing to do with their talent, but kk was the nicer of the two after the show. he joked how he would come play at my wedding. good guys. glenn is the entire reason i ever picked up a guitar i nthe first place.
-jay    
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:48:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Here's one you probably never heard of and that has not been mentioned. Considered by his peers (folks like Stevie Ray & Eric C.) to be one of the finest guitarist on the planet. From Dallas, Texas: (drum roll please.....)

[red][size=6]Bugs Henderson[/size=6][/red]

Mike

PS - His band is called "Bugs Henderson and the Shuffle Kings".
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:55:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Django, could outplay most of these shredders with only 2 fingers on his left hand (the rest were withered by fire).

For bluegrass fans, check out Tony Rice.

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:57:31 AM EDT
[#44]
So many, but if I have to pick one then it got to be [b]Jimmy Page[/b] of Led Zeppelin.

[img]http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Limo/9801/page/jp5.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:08:06 AM EDT
[#45]
And my second all time favorite and a legend:

[b]Carlos Santana[/b]

[img]http://www.iol.ie/~shango/carlos%20cover%20sept%2089%20small.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:08:28 AM EDT
[#46]
What about:

Uli Roth
Matthias Jabs (not a big Scorps fan, but the guy has some of the coolest bending vibratos!)
Lars Johansson (of Candlemass)
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:11:37 AM EDT
[#47]
How is Eric Clapton like coffee?
They both [b]SUCK[/b] without Cream!  [:D]

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:15:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
How is Eric Clapton like coffee?

They both [b]SUCK[/b] without Cream!  [:D]

the_reject
View Quote

I would have to agree! Ol'Slow Hand is more like "Boring Hand" to me without Bruce & Baker!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:22:50 AM EDT
[#49]
[size=6]THE ONE AND ONLY[/size=6]

[img]http://fishhook1.homestead.com/files/stevie2.jpg[/img]

Clampton sucks! He can't even play the guitar![:P]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:24:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I would have to agree! Ol'Slow Hand is more like "Boring Hand" to me without Bruce & Baker!!
View Quote

At least in Cream he had a shred of musical taste...  Now, all of his solos either A) sound the same, or B) are nothing more than semi-musical masturbatory shred-fests.

the_reject
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top