[size=6]THE ONE AND ONLY[/size=6]
View Quote

SRV is waaaaaay overrated, man...

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:32:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
there are too many greats to pick just one
theres a lot of great ones listed, but heres a list of people that should be mentioned and are IMO worth checking out.

Zakk Wylde -- ozzys current axeman, check out his solo work, black label society, pride n glory
Slash -- former GnR, solo albums "slashs snakepit"
jimmey thackery --hard rocking bluesman
ronnie earl -- strong bluesman, best seen live
gary moore -- former thin lizzy, solo blues albums
robben ford -- tigerwalk album
eric sardinas - blues slide guitar madman
jonny lang --for a kid hes got a lot of talent
albert king -- RIP, blues legend
danny gatton -- RIP, jazz/bluesman, said to be the worlds best unknown blues guitarist

theres a ton more i cant think of
View Quote

I was just going to mention Danny Gatton...too bad he had to kill himself.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:35:49 AM EDT
[#3]
[b]DEREK TRUCKS[/b]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:36:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

the_reject
View Quote

You must be crazy....you ever see him perform live?  He played a fender strat with the action set so high that most normal people couldn't play on it at all.  Not to mention he used alot heavier strings than the norm.  He worked for the sound he got out of that guitar.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:55:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Over-rated by whom? A reject?[:D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:00:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You must be crazy....you ever see him perform live?  He played a fender strat with the action set so high that most normal people couldn't play on it at all.  Not to mention he used alot heavier strings than the norm.  He worked for the sound he got out of that guitar.  
View Quote

Oooh, wow...  I'm really impressed by his grip strength...  [rolleyes]  If that's how one starts off learning to play guitar, it becomes natural.  Set the action lower, and one is liable to press the strings into the fretboard, changing the intonation of the instrument and perpetually playing sharp.

Woop-tee-doo...

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:06:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh god, no!

I can't believe you just made a joke about (of all things) my BBS handle!

Do you not have any heart?!?  Don't you know how sensitive a topic that is for me?

The horror!  The horror!

I am crushed.  I am devestated by your wit.  Your pithy comments make the baby Jesus cry.  However will I go on?  [rolleyes]

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:15:53 AM EDT
[#8]
1. Eric Johnson (Helluva nice guy too)
2. Steve Morse
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. Jimmy Page
5. Stevie Ray
6. Pat Metheny
7. The Edge

Too many to list, did I mention Eric Johnson [:D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:18:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not to mention he used alot heavier strings than the norm.  He worked for the sound he got out of that guitar.  
View Quote

Well, when you tune lower than standard you've
got to use heavier gauge strings or you get super flop butter action!

That's got nothing to do with ability.

I'm not knocking SRV, I like his playing a lot, just stating a fact.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:31:54 AM EDT
[#10]
After watching this post for awhile I HAVE to add my a$$hole, oops..2 cents.

First whoever mentioned Greg Ginn cudos! He is/was very underated. I was fortunate enough to spend a couple weeks partying with him and not only is he a great guy but a lover/student of all music.
Second Tony Iommi INVENTED HEAVY METAL guitar. Noone has come close to being as heavy. ('cept me, but that's on bass and that's a different story:))
Lastly I'm surprised and offended that noone has mentioned JOHN BONHAM as drum god. All mentioned before are noodlers. Bonham played drums like he was a 5000lb. beast!rocko.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:34:20 AM EDT
[#11]
My vote goes to Michael Manring: fretless bass player.

-White Horse
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:36:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm not knocking SRV, I like his playing a lot, just stating a fact.
View Quote

If you won't, I will.  SRV sucks.  Bad.

At least he's cheap, though.

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:40:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lastly I'm surprised and offended that noone has mentioned JOHN BONHAM as drum god. All mentioned before are noodlers. Bonham played drums like he was a 5000lb. beast!
View Quote

Okay, you got a point.  John Bonham is a good drummer.  But to go so far as to say that all the others previously mentioned are noodlers?  That's a bit of a stretch.

Compared to some of the other drummers listed in this thread, it's better said that Bonham played the drums like he was a 50lb queer schoolboy who just had his feather boa and leather pants stolen a mere 5 minutes before the gay pride parade...

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:44:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Second Tony Iommi INVENTED HEAVY METAL guitar. Noone has come close to being as heavy.
View Quote

That would be correct, Sir!
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:49:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Only one other mention so far,so I gotta give props to Randy Rhoads. A HUGE influence on my playing style, the perfect blender of blues & neo-classical. Tasteful, emotive player, and another genius whose life was tragically cut short.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

the_reject
View Quote

Overrated by whom? You? It is YOUR opinion then.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:42:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh god, no!

I can't believe you just made a joke about (of all things) my BBS handle!

Do you not have any heart?!?  Don't you know how sensitive a topic that is for me?

The horror!  The horror!

I am crushed.  I am devestated by your wit.  Your pithy comments make the baby Jesus cry.  However will I go on?  [rolleyes]

the_reject
View Quote

[:K]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:55:20 AM EDT
[#18]
As my favorite I'll have to go with Clapton.  After that Dicky Betts, Duane Allman, Pete Townsend, Carlos Santana.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Overrated by whom? You? It is YOUR opinion then.
View Quote

Certainly is.  I'm not forcing it upon you to accept it as your own, am I?

No?

Well gollee shucks, I guess it [b]IS[/b] my opinion after all!  Hot damn, and here I was, glowing in my own vanity, thinking I was speaking for all of humanity...

[rolleyes]

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would have to agree! Ol'Slow Hand is more like "Boring Hand" to me without Bruce & Baker!!
View Quote

At least in Cream he had a shred of musical taste...  Now, all of his solos either A) sound the same, or B) are nothing more than semi-musical masturbatory shred-fests.

the_reject
View Quote

Did you perhaps overlook his Derek and the Dominoes venture.  Some awesome guitar work on that album.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
[:K]
View Quote

Heavens to Mergatroid!

Called a [b]TROLL[/b] on the same day that someone makes a joke about my BBS handle.

My god, why hast thou forsaken me?

Jesus, if you can't stand a different opinion, either debate it or ignore it.  Can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Oh yeah, and grab a clue on your way out.

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Did you perhaps overlook his Derek and the Dominoes venture.  Some awesome guitar work on that album.
View Quote

Alright, so I may not be giving Derek and the Dominos enough credit.  I guess I kinda look upon it as the last good thing ol' Slowhand did before he descended into the depths of mediocrity and repetition.

I still reserve the opinion that Cream is, without any doubt on my part, his best effort.

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:26:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Alright, so I may not be giving Derek and the Dominos enough credit.  I guess I kinda look upon it as the last good thing ol' Slowhand did before he descended into the depths of mediocrity and repetition.

I still reserve the opinion that Cream is, without any doubt on my part, his best effort.

the_reject
View Quote

Sad to say, but the depth of his work went way down when he got off drugs.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sad to say, but the depth of his work went way down when he got off drugs.
View Quote

Now granted, I'm no advocate of drug use or anything, but isn't it weird how that works?

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#25]
in no particular order:

SRV
Eric Johnson
EVH
Nuno Bettencourt
Satriani
Vai

I actually knew Eric Johnson's Goddaughter.  In fact, his Venus Isle CD had her mother on the cover.  Gaye Crace... I met her once I think...

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

5.  Hey, who gave us the electric guitar and put it on the map? Well a couple people know. Listen to the man!
View Quote

Your refering to  [b]LES PAUL[/b]  ?????

Is Robert Cray still around ??

[b][purple][size=6]HENDRIX[/size=6][/purple][/b]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Leo Fender & Bob Fullerton gave us the electric guitar.

A few famous Fender players:

Jeff Beck
Eric Johnson
Eric Clapton
Albert Collins
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Don Rich
Buck Owens
Danny Gatton
Rory Gallagher
Steven Rhea
Mark Knopfler
Buddy Holly
Ron Wood
Al McKay
Stone Gossard
Pete Anderson
Keith Richards
Roy Buchanon
Andy Summers
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Would have to be a tie between Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits and the late great Michael Hedges.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Wotta fun thread.

Bands/musicians who were far better before they cleaned up:

Aerosmith
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Clapton

And a few others I can't think of right off the top of my head.

Guitarists I am glad haven't made this list but often do:

Kirk Hammett
Tom Morello

Not mentioned, underrated:  Eliott Easton from the Cars.  Certainly not a guitar hero band, but that guy knows his licks.

A limited guitar player but tears the hell out of things within those limits and has a killer tone:  Slash.

To those who mentioned Rory Gallagher, YEAH!

A guy who rips on the bass even though I can't stand Yes and think they are a bunch of pompous poofs:  Chris Squire.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Yall forgot to mention Larry Carlton. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Chairborne_Ranger, you've about covered everything this thread was lacking thusfar...  [:)]

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#32]
BETTER BEFORE THEY CLEANED UP:

Eric Clapton
Rolling Stones
Lynard Skynard
Aerosmith
Metallica
Megadeth
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Another better before they cleaned up:

Santana - the group and the individual.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Leo Kottke.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

5.  Hey, who gave us the electric guitar and put it on the map? Well a couple people know. Listen to the man!
View Quote

Your refering to  [b]LES PAUL[/b]  ?????

Is Robert Cray still around ??

[b][purple][size=6]HENDRIX[/size=6][/purple][/b]
View Quote

Hell, Muddy Waters invented electricity
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Robert Johnson.

Who recorded "Crossroads" in a warehouse in Dallas' Deep Ellum in 1932.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Jimi Hendrix was being interviewed on a radio program and was asked "How does it feel to be the greatest quitarist ever?" He replied "I don't know, ask [red]Phil Keagey[red].

For those who have not had the opportunity to hear Phil Keagey's rendition of "Nothing but the Blood", do yourself a favor and do so. Sort of reminds me of Jimi's "Star Spangled Banner"

I like in no particular order:
Phil Keagey
Jimi Hendrix
SRV
Carlos Santana
Chet Atkins
Roy Clark
Page
Junior Brown
And many others.

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lastly I'm surprised and offended that noone has mentioned JOHN BONHAM as drum god. All mentioned before are noodlers. Bonham played drums like he was a 5000lb. beast!
View Quote

Okay, you got a point.  John Bonham is a good drummer.  But to go so far as to say that all the others previously mentioned are noodlers?  That's a bit of a stretch.

Compared to some of the other drummers listed in this thread, it's better said that Bonham played the drums like he was a 50lb queer schoolboy who just had his feather boa and leather pants stolen a mere 5 minutes before the gay pride parade...

the_reject
View Quote

My opinion is that Bonzo was an incredible drummer, but not as technically proficient or articulate as the art-rock/progressive drummers like Peart, Palmer, Ehart, McBrain, Bill Bruford, or Alan White (2 other greats I forgot earlier.) To me, Bonzo was more a member of the "sheer power, straightforward rock n roll rhythm" school, along with Aynsley Dunbar, Mick Fleetwood, Al Bouchard, Alex Van Halen, and Lars Ulrich (never really liked him too much.) I don't know if Neil Peart could hit a drum as hard as Bonzo did, but I'm pretty sure that Bonzo would need an extra pair of arms to play with Neil.

Now, how about keyboardists/pianists? My votes: Rick Wakeman, Keith Emerson, Gregg Rolie, Steve Walsh, and Freddie Mercury (don't laugh LOL.)
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Leo Kottke.
View Quote

I've missed him the last 2 or 3 times he's come to NH! Next time I'm going, one way or another - I've heard nothing but great stuff about his playing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
To me, Bonzo was more a member of the "sheer power, straightforward rock n roll rhythm" school, along with ... Lars Ulrich (never really liked him too much.)
View Quote

Hell, Lars couldn't play a straight beat in time if his life depended on it.

Now, how about keyboardists/pianists? My votes: Rick Wakeman, Keith Emerson, Gregg Rolie, Steve Walsh, and Freddie Mercury (don't laugh LOL.)
View Quote

You named off some good ones there...  You are forgetting some other big-namers like Ray Charles and (love him or hate him) Stevie Wonder.

In my college jazz band, one of our pianists was blind, but hot damn that boy could play.  Always loved to hear him play out and solo.  Great technique, and he was one of those guys who you could really tell was playing for the love of the music.

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Jimi Hendrix was being interviewed on a radio program and was asked "How does it feel to be the greatest quitarist ever?" He replied "I don't know, ask [red]Phil Keagey[red].
View Quote

Jimi Hendrix is also reported to have told Walt Parazayder (horn player for Chicago) that Terry Kath is a better guitarist than he was.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#42]

Kirk Hammett
Tom Morello
View Quote

Why not Tom Morello? Even you don't like Rage Against the Machine can't you appreciate his great guitar style? Just because he doesn't sound like every other guitar player out there doesn't mean he isn't talented.  Have you heard some of his solos?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Why not Tom Morello? Even you don't like Rage Against the Machine can't you appreciate his great guitar style? Just because he doesn't sound like every other guitar player out there doesn't mean he isn't talented.  Have you heard some of his solos?
View Quote

I don't think it has anything to do with liking or disliking Rage Against the Machine, or, for that matter, Tom Morello.  It's just that Tom Morello isn't exactly a name that comes to mind when you think of a guitarist icon, legend, or innovator.

Particularly the latter.

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Leo Fender & Bob Fullerton gave us the electric guitar.

A few famous Fender players:
View Quote

Uh Oh, not the Fender bias post! [:D]

I'm a Gibson man - Gibson tone will give
an ol'bolty Fender a kick in the magnets anyday!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Kirk Hammett
Tom Morello
View Quote

View Quote

Oy vay, those Canadians . . . [;)]
I appreciate his style.  I don't think he is not talented.  I just don't think he's a great guitar player.  Tom "What silly little effect am I gonna overuse on this song" Morello isn't *bad,* he's just not tops on my list.

Obviously he is on yours . . . go ahead and "rally 'round the family," dude.

I am interested to see what, if anything ever comes out of the RATM minus Bigmouth plus Chris Cornell conglomeration, if and when anything ever does.  Or did that fall apart already?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I am interested to see what, if anything ever comes out of the RATM minus Bigmouth plus Chris Cornell conglomeration, if and when anything ever does.  Or did that fall apart already?
View Quote

Don't hold your breath - it ain't that great.

Sad to say, but Chris Cornell just can't seem to pull it off after Soundgarden broke up in '97.  His solo stuff (IMHO) was merely OK, certainly not something to rush out a purchase, and honestly sounded a bit tired and dull.

What a shame.  Soundgarden kicked much ass.

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Leo Kottke.
View Quote

I've missed him the last 2 or 3 times he's come to NH! Next time I'm going, one way or another - I've heard nothing but great stuff about his playing.
View Quote

Oh yeah.  To everyone reading this thread, go see Leo Kottke next time he visits your town.  Great music, really droll banter between songs.  Great entertainment. I never miss him when he visits.  The David Grisman Quintet is a really good show too.

My favorites are Django Rheinhardt, Wes Montgomery, and Hendrix.  They were all extremely original, had a lot of great tunes, and were completely free players who could improvise jaw-dropping phrases on the spot.

Django for instance would never rehearse, couldn't read music (he couldn't READ, period!) and would just walk into the studio and do a solo part to songs he had never heard before, in one take.  And they'd be perfectly brilliant. Then he'd pack up and leave. A genius.

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#48]
HEY NOW! I'm not biased! I have just as many Gibsons and I have Fenders.

A FEW FAMOUS GIBSON PICKERS:

Joe Walsh
Joe Perry
Rev. Billy Gibbons
Pete Townsend
Zak Wilde
Randy Rhodes
Jake E. Lee
Jimmy Page
Tod Rundgren
Duane
Dickey
Derek
Jeff Beck
Rick Neilsen
Jimi Hendrix
Lonny Mack
Albert King
BB King
Chuck Berry
Les Paul
George Thorogood
Brad Whitford
Don Felder
Waddy Watchel
Neil Young
Dave Grohl
Alex Lifeson
Pat Metheny
Al Dimeola
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#49]
In no particular order:

Eric Clapton
Mark Knopfler
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Santana
Stonew Gossard
Jimi Hendrix
Randy Rhoads
Joe Satriani
Yngwie Malmsteen (sp?)
Tony Macalpine
Eric Johnson
John Lee Hooker

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#50]
I like Santana, Gilmour(Pink Floyd) and Frusciante from the Red hot Chilli peppers.

On bass I like Flea from the Peppers and Fieldy from KoRn.
Page / 4
Top Top