Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/8/2010 6:56:31 AM EDT
(Note:  I respect the views of the JWs as I do for all sincere people of faith.  When they knock on my door, I answer and politely tell them I'm not interested in their literature.)

ATHEISTS ON A CRUSADE

A NEW group of atheists has arisen in society.

Called the new atheists, they are

not content to keep their views to themselves.

Rather, they are on a crusade, "actively, angrily,

passionately trying to persuade the religious

to their point of view,” wrote columnist

Richard Bernstein. Even agnostics are in

their sights, for these new atheists allow no

room for doubt. To them, there simply is no

God. End of story.

"The world needs to wake up from its long

nightmare of religious belief,” said Nobel

laureate Steven Weinberg. "Anything that

we scientists can do to weaken the hold

of religion should be done and may in the

end be our greatest contribution to civilization.”

One tool aimed at weakening that hold

is the written word, which seems to be stirring

up considerable interest, for some of

the new atheists’ books have become best

sellers.

From The Watchtower newsletter - see http://download.jw.org/files/media_magazines/g_E_201011.pdf

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:59:37 AM EDT
[#1]
LOL, that's rich coming from the JW's.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Are they going to hand out Playboys and Popular Science magazines as their literature?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:01:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:02:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been unfortunate enough to meet a couple of these new atheists.  They came across as a couple of modern age hippies that have eaten up all of Obama's bullshit and therefore aren't pissed off at the government and have turned their urge to hate something against Christians.  Telling them that my faith, whether wrong or right, comforted me and asking them to leave me alone wasn't enough.  They tried their hardest to make me see their way no matter what.  At least the Jehovah's Witnesses will leave you alone when you tell them to.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:17:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Evangelical atheists annoy me. If somebody asks your opinion on faith, or it's already the topic of discussion, then by all means say what you have to say. But to go out of your way to bring it up when people simply aren't interested...ugh.

Scientific progress is moving along juuuuust fine, whether those scientists be Atheists or Christians, or Muslims, or...

The Scientific Method works, without regard to any faith you may have in the supernatural. That's what makes it so great. It renders the "big question" moot. It doesn't address it, and it doesn't need to.

You know how Christians cringe when idiots like the Westboro Baptists do their thing? Well, I cringe when atheists start mimicking the faithful.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

LOL, that's rich coming from the JW's.

First post wins again...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#9]
haha

I think a lot of people will find some satisfaction from their complaints, religious or not.

and.. in before the accusatory generalizations of non believers.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:33:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Yep...between Subnet and the Mason machinist, well....+1
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:33:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Evangelical atheists annoy me. If somebody asks your opinion on faith, or it's already the topic of discussion, then by all means say what you have to say. But to go out of your way to bring it up when people simply aren't interested...ugh.

Scientific progress is moving along juuuuust fine, whether those scientists be Atheists or Christians, or Muslims, or...

The Scientific Method works, without regard to any faith you may have in the supernatural. That's what makes it so great. It renders the "big question" moot. It doesn't address it, and it doesn't need to.

You know how Christians cringe when idiots like the Westboro Baptists do their thing? Well, I cringe when atheists start mimicking the faithful.

LOL!  I've never heard that term before, but it's very fitting.  I'm an atheist, but very few people who know me know that, and I'm not in the least bit annoyed/offended by people who believe in God... more power to them.  I've only encountered a handful of "evangelical atheists", but they annoy me to no end.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:34:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Could not have said this any better.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:46:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
(Note:  I respect the views of the JWs as I do for all sincere people of faith.  When they knock on my door, I answer and politely tell them I'm not interested in their literature.)

ATHEISTS ON A CRUSADE

God. End of story.

sellers.

From The Watchtower newsletter - see http://download.jw.org/files/media_magazines/g_E_201011.pdf

you can believe anything that you want just don't go and attack others for their beliefs thats what I know as a JW
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:51:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I didn't click on the link, just read the post.

Didn't see any complaint, just a report about "new atheists."
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Pot meet kettle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

pretty well said sir.

folks could be reminded that their rights only extend until the point they begin to infringe on the rights of others...
harassing a person is not a right.... but, the ability to worship the religion (whatever that may be) of your own choosing is.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are they going to hand out Playboys and Popular Science magazines as their literature?

Fuck, if they're handing out Playboy and PopSci, I'll invite the little bastards in. Unless they wake me up, then it's the standard "Door Knocker for Jesus" procedure-slam door, electrify the fence and release the hounds.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:07:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't know much about about these "new atheists" is that article accurate??
Sorry atheists, but what you are selling to people is a kick in the balls, and who wants to buy that?
You should go to times square set up a lemonade type stand and put a sign up that says "Kick in the balls $5"
I myself am a militant agnostic, I am insulted when people try to convince me otherwise. The penalty for that may or may not be me chopping your head off, i just have'nt decided yet.
But the plain fact is no one wants to hear what is essentially an utterly depressing and Nihilistic philosophy.
And of course without proof its nothing more than 'Argumentum ad ignorantiam''  anyway.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:08:13 AM EDT
[#19]
They may be right, but as already mentioned, this is rich coming from the JW's.

I grew up directly across the street from a Kingdom Hall, so I know of what I speak.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I grew up directly across the street from a Kingdom Hall, so I know of what I speak.

There's a big one about a mile from my house, with predominantly Mexican members (Testigos de Jehová).

We get them all the time.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:48:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#22]
WTF?

I can understand not liking religion and all...

...but they are trying to convince AGNOSTICS that their DOUBT is wrong
I am really failing to understand why anyone would expend that much energy trying to convince someone in the absence of something unprovable
Speed

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

There's a big one about a mile from my house, with predominantly Mexican members (Testigos de Jehová).

Yeah. Mine was primarily Spanish as well.

Finally had to tell them I was a Satanist for them to leave me the hell alone.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Whenever this type (of any denomination) comes around my brother's place, he always tells them that he is a nonpracticing druid.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Wut?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

my thoughts exactly.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

WTF?

I am really failing to understand why anyone would expend that much energy trying to convince someone in the absence of something unprovable
Speed  
I'm actually beginning to question the article a little bit. While I've met a few very obnoxious atheists that seem to relish the opportunity to talk people out of their faith (even when it's clear that the person really has no interest in the conversation), I'm having a REALLY hard time believing that they're going after agnostics with the same vigor.

Besides, the differences between the two are kind of subtle. I've long said that one speaks to what is or can be known (agnosticism) and one speaks to belief (atheism). Intellectually, I can't prove that Santa Claus absolutely does not exist with absolute certainty (I'm "agnostic" about it), but if you ask me "Do you believe in Santa Claus, even though you can't prove he doesn't exist" my answer is "No" (I'm an "atheist" in this regard).

It seems pedantic, and I suppose that it is, but it's the reason why I have a hard time believing that atheists are pestering agnostics - they're almost always the same people. Shit, even Richard Dawkins acknowledges that God could exist, he just considers it extremely unlikely and he lives under the assumption that He doesn't.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?

Speed  
I'm actually beginning to question the article a little bit. While I've met a few very obnoxious atheists that seem to relish the opportunity to talk people out of their faith (even when it's clear that the person really has no interest in the conversation), I'm having a REALLY hard time believing that they're going after agnostics with the same vigor.

Besides, the differences between the two are kind of subtle. I've long said that one speaks to what is or can be known (agnosticism) and one speaks to belief (atheism). Intellectually, I can't prove that Santa Claus absolutely does not exist with absolute certainty (I'm "agnostic" about it), but if you ask me "Do you believe in Santa Claus, even though you can't prove he doesn't exist" my answer is "No" (I'm an "atheist" in this regard).

It seems pedantic, and I suppose that it is, but it's the reason why I have a hard time believing that atheists are pestering agnostics - they're almost always the same people. Shit, even Richard Dawkins acknowledges that God could exist, he just considers it extremely unlikely and he lives under the assumption that He doesn't.

Ya.

After i posted that I looked back at the article and saw that it is from the Watchtower; I'm pretty sure that's the JW's own publication

I could imagine the conversations in the "newsroom":

"Nobody is safe from these new atheists I tell ya!"

Lol.
Speed

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

They must teach the following at "how to convert your friends" day at church because I've been at the receiving end of this conversation a few times...

"blah blah blah, where do you live?"

"XYZ town"

"Ohhh, they have a lot of nice churches there, which one do you go to?"

"none"

::eyes light up and Christian goes into Jesus rant mode::

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They must teach the following at "how to convert your friends" day at church because I've been at the receiving end of this conversation a few times...  

"blah blah blah, where do you live?"

"XYZ town"

"Ohhh, they have a lot of nice churches there, which one do you go to?"

"none"

::eyes light up and Christian goes into Jesus rant mode::

"All have sinned", as it were.

To me, this would be like meeting some random dude in a bar and saying "Oh, they have a lot of nice gun ranges up there. Which one do you go to?" It's awkward, conversationally.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No Habla.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#32]
I wonder if they look like the nihilists in The Big Lebowski...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

WTF?

Speed  

Countering magical thinking is always a good thing.

Countering wishy washy waffling is always a good thing.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm not an atheist by any means, and perhaps this is off the topic,  but...

If you knew Jehovah's Witnesses like I know them and their impact on my family and my life, you'd say F*** 'em.

Thanks for listening, you may now go back to debating the merits of evangelical atheists.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?

Speed  

Yes, I'm aware of your stance from your posts in my NDE thread
Speed

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#37]
To be honest, I recruit and I undermine where I can.

In polite society it's very hard to notice though.

I save the hammer for when people hand me a nail.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Well said.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"All have sinned", as it were.

To me, this would be like meeting some random dude in a bar and saying "Oh, they have a lot of nice gun ranges up there. Which one do you go to?" It's awkward, conversationally.

It is?

If it's some random guy you've just met, and have no indication whatsoever that he's a "gun guy"? Yeah. It's a little odd.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF?

Speed  

Yes, I'm aware of your stance from your posts in my NDE thread

Speed

I corrected my post to account for my lack of reading skills.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#41]
God. End of story.

They aren't exactly 'new' if you post here.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah. Mine was primarily Spanish as well.

Finally had to tell them I was a Satanist for them to leave me the hell alone.

I took the exact opposite tack and told them that they were Satanists for rejecting the Trinity and altering the Bible.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#45]

JWs complaining about people of other beliefs not keeping their opinion to themselves is the funniest thing I've heard in awhile.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#46]

The song he was quoting

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
WTF?

Speed  

I wanted to post the "atheists vs agnostics fight" from Metalocalypse but I couldn't find it
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

ATHEISTS ON A CRUSADE

God. End of story.

sellers.

Pot, Kettle.

Kettle, say hello to Pot...

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Evangelical ANYTHING annoy me.

Fixed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:16:24 PM EDT
[#50]
For those of you who enjoyed the annoying Mormons video

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top