BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Are they going to hand out Playboys and Popular Science magazines as their literature?

I certainly wouldn't mind.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:32:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

For those of you who enjoyed the annoying Mormons video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo5dgW6HX9o&feature=related

And Choda Boy!!!

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:34:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The Scientific Method works, without regard to any faith you may have in the supernatural. That's what makes it so great. It renders the "big question" moot. It doesn't address it, and it doesn't need to.

Agreed 100%
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:41:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't know much about about these "new atheists" is that article accurate??
Sorry atheists, but what you are selling to people is a kick in the balls, and who wants to buy that?
You should go to times square set up a lemonade type stand and put a sign up that says "Kick in the balls $5"
I myself am a militant agnostic, I am insulted when people try to convince me otherwise. The penalty for that may or may not be me chopping your head off, i just have'nt decided yet.
But the plain fact is no one wants to hear what is essentially an utterly depressing and Nihilistic philosophy.
And of course without proof its nothing more than 'Argumentum ad ignorantiam''  anyway.

I disagree with this post for several reasons.

1) For the most part, Atheists aren't selling anything - the entire point is that they aren't buying what is being sold. Big difference.
2) Notwithstanding Webster's single definition 'Atheism' means different things to different people.

Most people seem to want to point to Webster's, or where ever else, and say that Atheism is a belief that no gods exist. Just recently on here a member was laying out why this is the case etymologically (the 'a' being the negative operator).  I don't agree. First, a dictionary is descriptive, not prescriptive. Its purpose is to demonstrate how the word is commonly used. In some of its earliest usage the word Atheist was tossed back and forth between Hellenists and early Christians, neither of which held the position that 'no god exists'. There were subtle changes over the years, and as I see it being used by those who would accept that it applies to them today - it is generally that   Theism is to Atheism as Moral is to Amoral - Having or lacking belief , having or lacking moral connotation.

Gnostic/Agnostic has to do with knowledge of the truth value of a claim.

Theism deals with Belief
Gnosticism deals with Knowledge.

If you don't hold the belief you are an Atheist.
If you accept that this is likely unknowable you are an Agnostic.

In the end, however, it is more important that we understand each others positions, rather than debate definitions for specific words. If we can't agree on what the word means, we should both agree that we shouldn't use it as it is meaningless.

If you are willing to accept my definitions, you would be an Agnostic Atheist, the same as I am.
If you want to stick to your definition, I would be an Agnostic and not an Atheist, the same as you are.

In the end we agree on the subject matter. It makes little sense to have division, or be insulted, over disagreements on semantics.

ETA: 3)  Atheism is not a nihilistic philosophy. It is a label for one that holds a specific answer to a single question; "Do you believe".

ETA: Furthermore, it is a bit silly to be defined by something that you aren't. I'm also not a Doctor, or a Lawyer, or a Plumber.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top