Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

what did you cook today? (Page 51 of 83)
Page / 83
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Final unit this semester was seafood. We got to use some great stuff. This was my take on baked stuffed lobster w scallops and shrimp. Stuffing was onions, butter, ritz crackers and sherry with some whole butter on top before they went in the oven for good measure.

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe someone also wanted the chicken ballotine a while ago, so I'll put that up now that I figured out how to post pictures.

Debone a medium broiler chicken. I can do a more involved post of this process if anyone wants it.

You also want around 4-5 cups of fresh croutons dried out in the oven, a package of baby spinach wilted down with some olive oil and chopped garlic, and about 8oz of shredded gruyere cheese.

Season the inside w salt and pepper, then spread out the spinach, then the cheese, then the croutons. Make sure you stuff some in the cavities in the legs.

Truss that baby up, spacing the twine about the thickness you want your slices. You want to overlap the skin underneath. If some stuffing falls out during this process its fine, just push what you can back in one end or the other once you get it trussed.

Brushed with oil, seasoned and roasted on convection @ 375f until 155 or so internal temp. Let it rest for 15min.

I made a pan jus with the drippings, a little stock and some white wine. It's a fun dish to make and delicious to eat. Enjoy!

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MainePure:
I believe someone also wanted the chicken ballotine a while ago, so I'll put that up now that I figured out how to post pictures.

Debone a medium broiler chicken. I can do a more involved post of this process if anyone wants it.

You also want around 4-5 cups of fresh croutons dried out in the oven, a package of baby spinach wilted down with some olive oil and chopped garlic, and about 8oz of shredded gruyere cheese.

https://i.imgur.com/re7aLWC.jpg?1

Season the inside w salt and pepper, then spread out the spinach, then the cheese, then the croutons. Make sure you stuff some in the cavities in the legs.

https://i.imgur.com/9L6uMSI.jpg?1

Truss that baby up, spacing the twine about the thickness you want your slices. You want to overlap the skin underneath. If some stuffing falls out during this process its fine, just push what you can back in one end or the other once you get it trussed.

https://i.imgur.com/qY5Y8tc.jpg?1

Brushed with oil, seasoned and roasted on convection @ 375f until 155 or so internal temp. Let it rest for 15min.

https://i.imgur.com/2wyaTgJ.jpg?2

I made a pan jus with the drippings, a little stock and some white wine. It's a fun dish to make and delicious to eat. Enjoy!

https://i.imgur.com/yJlGR80.jpg?1

View Quote

wow that looks amazing, well done
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Individualist:
Do you have a recipe link?
View Quote

@Individualist just a heads up that recipe got posted below in case you didnt see it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:

@Individualist just a heads up that recipe got posted below in case you didnt see it
View Quote
Got it.. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is the recipe for Butter Chicken. You can find any spices you need on Amazon if you can't source them locally.

https://i.imgur.com/vllRntu.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/cZvuk9R.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/EU8JCND.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/e9hhqtm.jpg?1
View Quote

I may have to give that a try. I haven't had a lot of luck making butter chicken in the past. Usually good, but just not nailing the flavor I'm looking for.

Here's a biryani I made the other day.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/31/2021 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh that rice looks good. Yes please.

Link Posted: 12/31/2021 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Some potatoes fried in a skillet with clarified butter.

Link Posted: 12/31/2021 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Steak Au Poivre and scalloped potatoes. I used the eye of the ribeye, going to cook the cap tomorrow, or later tonight if I get hungry.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Last night I did a legume stew (chili with beans) with some shoulder steaks.  Wanted a chuck roast, but my local market was out.  

It came out really good.  I like the flavor I can get with chili powder and cumin as compared to the McCormick packets I grew up on.  One day I'll try it with a paste made from dried chili peppers.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I found two breaded fish filets in an open box in the bottom of the freezer.  Made a sandwich out of them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice, that looks fantastic. We did Osso Buco a few weeks ago and it was outrageously delicious. I topped it with a little gremolata in the marrow well and dunked bread in it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#14]
For lunch today I helped smoke roast a stuffed pork loin.  Mom seasoned it and stuffed it with creme cheese, some other cheese, jalapenos, green onions, and bacon.  I cooked it on my grandpa's old bbq pit.  Came out nice and juicy, though it could have used more stuff inside of it.  

Right now I have a big pot of black eyed peas and smoked pork hocks simmering on the stove.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Beef rib roast using the high temp then turn the oven off for 2 hours method, and yorkshire pudding.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 6:24:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raven] [#16]
I'm making Cuban black beans and rice. I haven't made it in a while, it'll be my first time making it in an Instant Pot

https://www.cuisineathome.com/recipes/lunch-dinner/instant-pot-black-beans-and-rice-moros-y-cristianos/

AAR: This was a winner. I'll probably half the recipe next time. It made a big batch.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 6:43:18 AM EDT
[#17]
There is no cream cheese shortage around here. SO made a 10 inch cheese cake. Just out of the fridge from it's overnight cold rest.

Now what to top it with??

EBR

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#18]
You could make a glaze by mixing sour cream, confectioner's sugar and lemon zest. I've topped cheesecake with it before and it is delicious.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 6:11:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#19]
I took a 'me' day off work today just to cook and go to the range.  I built a beef stew this AM starting with floured and browned beef chuck cubes.  I tossed in in the crock with homey made chicken stonks, a can of tomato sauce, tater chonks, carrot cubes, and green beens.  It is working its magic and will be ready soon.  

Next I built some lettuce, mater, and tunafish sammiches and started a pot of rice.  

Range time, sighted in my .300AAC with my new Vortex Viper.  Amazing how it tightened up my groups.  Then I tested new suppressor sights on a Glock 45.5 and 21.3, then blasted two mags through my M17 P320 clone.

Just built a stack of musubi for snacks this weekend, that is what the rice was for.  I put sweet chili sauce on the rice.

I am also building some jalapeno jelly.  I have already extracted the fresh jalapenos (2 quarts of liquid) and just need to push them through a jelly bag.  I squeezed fresh lemons, and have liquid pectin at the ready.   I sanitized some jelly jars and they are on the rack drying.  

Beer time.  I will probably build the jelly in the AM. It is happy hour.

I will be back to copy that chicken ballotine recipe/method.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 12:04:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Made a big pot of albondigas soup yesterday.  It came out well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Spatchcocked a whole chicken yesterday. Rubbed in a spice mix (salt, pepper, little of this, little of that),  chopped up a handful of dried cranberries, finely diced 1/2 of a small onion, mixed the cranberries and onion into a cup or so of plain Greek yogurt and wiped it over the chicken.  Let it marinade overnight and put it in the smoker over cherry wood chips for about 4 hours.  It wasn't quite done so I put it in the oven for 10 minutes or so at 400.  Came out pretty good I thought.

Made sweet potato fries (oven baked) to go with. Messed them up, they should have come out of the oven maybe 5 minutes sooner.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 8:49:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aggie91] [#22]
Oven baked @ 450 for about an hour in the 17" Lodge.  Chicken, sausage & veggies

I dunno wat happened, but here is a link:  https://imgur.com/a/2Oeg3rT

https://imgur.com/gallery/2Oeg3rT
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:34:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Salmon cakes. Fried potatoes with onions. Peas.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 6:01:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been breaking down whole chickens the past year, and working out things to make with the parts...

I took the legs/thigh quarter off 3 whole chickens, deboned the breasts, but left on the bone in top part of the wings. (airline?)

Dinner one;

Dutch oven over high heat with 2T oil, season then brown up 6 leg/thigh quarters on both sides in two batches. Remove and reserve.
Pour off most of the oil/fat, then add 2 diced shallots, about 1/2 bulb of minced garlic, a large pinch of red pepper flakes, and maybe 2T of grated ginger.  Flash that and sweat the shallots, then add (1.5 C chicken stock, 1.5 C soy sauce, 3/4 C Brown sugar, and 1/4 c honey mixed together) Bring that to boil, put the chicken back in, cover, and put into a 350 degree oven for about an hour.

I served that with blistered green beans in a spicy schezwan sauce, white rice, and covered the whole thing with green onions and seseme seeds.

I then made stock with the bones. Backbones, wing flats and tips, every rib and chest bone. Add in old onions, leftover garlic, celery butt and middle leaves, and ugly carrots. I had an old leek, and shallots ends to add as well. Peppercorns, thyme and sald, then let that simmer for about 3 hours. Strain, and reserve.

Dinner two was Chicken Marsala with the breasts. Mushroom marsala reduction over rice.  Zucchini and a simple salad with vinaigrette.

Tomorrow I'm using the stock to make chicken tortilla soup.

I'm tired of typing, will follow up with recipes tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 12:02:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#25]
Made garlic parmesan man-wings last night in the air fryer.  Just use chicken legs instead of wings, they are 1/4 the price and just as tasty.

This AM, elk chili goes in the crock pot:

Note the tier 1 arfcom recommended pepper canon in lower left.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 12:19:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Tonight I did beef pot roast over rice with roasted broccoli. Beef was good, but the broccoli could have been more tender. Guess that’s what I get for being in a hurry.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 3:19:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#27]
Originally Posted By EBR666:
There is no cream cheese shortage around here. SO made a 10 inch cheese cake. Just out of the fridge from it's overnight cold rest.

Now what to top it with??

EBR

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231737/DSC_0012_copy_-_Copy-2231395.jpg
View Quote
This is a 10 inch, pumpkin cheesecake, my first ever.  I can't wait to cut into it tonight.

I need to reduce the recipe for a smaller pan, this is huge!  It is a Cheesecake Factory copy recipe.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Elk stroganoff on the menu for tonight, already in the crock pot this AM.  Coworker just brought in more elk, frickin' awesome!
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

This would kill me!! Looks so good but I'm allergic to coconut. Can't even touch it with my hands. Cant it be made without the coconut?

EBR
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:15:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#31]
Elk chili and stroganoff were a hit.  Getting good reviews on the jalapeno jelly, both rev A and B.  Pumpkin cheese cake has passed quality control and is going to be out for professional review tomorrow.  

Had some homey made Italian sausage and some #3 Tejas breakfast sausage getting old in the freeze. Thawed out, mixed with eggs and bread crumbs and did a flash fry.  Will soak in Italian Sunday gravy on medium crock pot overnight, will be on low tomorrow until we just can't stand it anymore, and then serve it over some variety of pasta.

Smell-O-vision:

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:26:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 5:42:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#33]
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Made some creme brulee for a nice midnight snack for my wife and I. Always goes over well.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm making Chilean dal for the first time in years, one of my favorite recipes.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=104709480

And roasting pork tenderloin which I'll dice up and eat with it for extra protein.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 12:21:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Fired up my propane burner and cooked a big sauce piquant for my girlfriend and her family. As always, it was a big hit.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 10:11:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: low96hb] [#38]
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Ran out of time quickly last night with unplanned events, so the emergency meal plan came into play.  I always keep a few jars of Walmart grade alfredo sauce in the cupboard.  A freezer bag of Costco boneless/skinless chikn thaws quickly.  Boil up some noodles, brown the chicken, throw it in the alfredo.  Cheap, quick, tasty. (also had some leftover garlic toast, reheated on a griddle)
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:
Came up with a great, quick recipe yesterday.

Coconut curry cauliflower.

Break up cauliflower into bite sized pieces.

Toss in a bowl with coconut oil.  Use enough to lightly cover all the pieces.

Then add a few shakes of curry powder and toss again, coating all the pieces.

Sprinkle with Kosher salt.

You could add garlic.

Put in top rack of oven at 400 until browned and charred.

Eat.
View Quote

This wasn't bad at all.

Link Posted: 2/6/2022 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Final unit this semester was seafood. We got to use some great stuff. This was my take on baked stuffed lobster w scallops and shrimp. Stuffing was onions, butter, ritz crackers and sherry with some whole butter on top before they went in the oven for good measure.

https://i.imgur.com/rUpsmgs.jpg?1
View Quote

Did everyone pass?
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By ChemicallyInSane:

Did everyone pass?
View Quote

Yes, we all did really well. It was a fantastic course and I'm going through the program with a great group of young people that are very committed. Chef instructors have been awesome as well.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 11:05:58 PM EDT
[#43]
I guess it counts as cooking.  Yesterday a friend and I made 18 pounds of pork sausage.  Today we smoked it.  It came out much better than our last batch.  Starting to get our rhythm down and figure out all the techniques and such.  

With two people and good tools its really not all that hard.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Been quiet in here...

Yesterday I fired up my stick burner and smoked some meat. A chuck roast, some pork butt pieces, boudin and sausage, and some beef neck bones for a soup I’m gonna make today. Inside I did smothered cabbage and baked beans. Mom brought potato salad and my podnah’s wife made home made bread.

All was excellent but my meat wasn’t as good as I hoped for. It was cold and windy and my smoker doesn’t like that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 7:59:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#45]
My wife bought some chuck steaks and we looked up a recipe for braised beef.  She didn't buy enough.

I sent her to the store, and when she gets back will be adding another layer to this, and then a splash of wine and into the oven it goes.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Vegetable beef soup for supper tonight. Its different every time I make it. Tonight’s version had cabbage, mushrooms, smoked beef neck bones, canned tomatoes, and of course onions, celery, and carrots.

Gonna have to write down what I did so I can duplicate it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 8:02:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unsub073] [#47]
This is a tribute to a local Cuban restaurant down by me.  I needed plantain chips to make it complete, but I went with ruffles b/c that is all I had.  I would've gone with a light rum to make the daiquiri, but all I had was darker rum.

Link Posted: 3/3/2022 6:39:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#48]
I had three pounds of ground turkey to use.  I found some pork shoulder on sale and probably ended up with 8 pounds after debone and  coarse grind. I mixed it with the turkey, added blade cut oats, wooster, ketchup, french onion soup mix, eggs, onion powder, powdered milk, and then mixed.  Then I did a medium grind and let sit in the fridge.  I later made two meatloafs in bread pans and covered them.

The goal was to make some burgers, and I had a bit leftover to make about 6 hearty patties.  Mighty tasty burgers!

A friend texted me a pic of a pulled pork sammich.  I haven't had any for a while, so another pork butt is now in the fridge awaiting that evolution this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
I had three pounds of ground turkey to use.  I found some pork shoulder on sale and probably ended up with 8 pounds after debone and  coarse grind. I mixed it with the turkey, added blade cut oats, wooster, ketchup, french onion soup mix, eggs, onion powder, powdered milk, and then mixed.  Then I did a medium grind and let sit in the fridge.  I later made two meatloafs in bread pans and covered them.  

The goal was to make some burgers, and I had a bit leftover to make about 6 hearty patties.  Mighty tasty burgers!  

A friend texted me a pic of a pulled pork sammich.  I haven't had any for a while, so another pork butt is now in the fridge awaiting that evolution this weekend.
View Quote

You know, that is a great idea. I have a butt in the freezer and haven't run my smoker all winter.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#50]
braised oxtail w/ potatoes, carrots and onions. sp&g, browned oxtails on all sides in a dutch oven in rendered smoked jowl fat. cut up an onion and added to pot, along with 1.5 pt chicken stock. covered tightly, braised at 325d for 5 hours, removed oxtails, deboned it and drained fat. added diced potatoes, carrots, celery and another onion along with several sliced garlic cloves, a sprig of thyme and a sprig of rosemary and 12 oz  chicken stock.. cooked till taters were done, added back oxtail meat,  and heated in oven till hot. remove and serve.
i also made mixed greens stewed in beer and chicken stock that was pretty larrupping.
Page / 83
what did you cook today? (Page 51 of 83)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top