Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

what did you cook today? (Page 50 of 85)
Page / 85
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I pickled some eggs last night. Now I wait lol

Link Posted: 11/13/2021 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Haven’t cooked much lately.

Chuck roast was on sale today, so I made a nice beef stew. Been working on my recipe, it gets a little better each time.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

3 racks of ribs on the smoker.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 2:52:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pcsutton] [#4]
Gots a bunch of blackberry marinated chicken hindquarters on the smoker.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/15/2021 1:11:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I Cooke these up last week. They were awesome.

Link Posted: 11/15/2021 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#6]
We're working on the beef unit in class last week and we made classic beef stew for one of the recipes. They let us tweak how we see fit and encourage experimentation. I wanted to boost the sweeter root veg flavors and add some color to the broth so I added some diced sweet potato early in the braise so it would dissolve completely and help thicken it. I added the rutabaga and potato later on so they'd keep some of their structure and flavors. I used white wine and Worcestershire. It was the best beef stew I've ever made or tasted. Delicious. You'd probably never guess it was sweet potato giving it that body which is my favorite thing about it. I'm going to develop a recipe for this one, and I'll post it when I'm finished.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 1:04:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Ground beef chimichanga covered with ranchero sauce and a side of black beans.

A local mexican restaurant puts 'ranchero sauce' on their chimichangas that I like. I tried a recipe which calls for roasted red bell, poblano and tomatoes. Then simmer in chicken stock with onions, garlic, diced green chiles, jalapeno and cumin. Blend everything until smooth. It's a pretty mild sauce.

Link Posted: 11/22/2021 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rhyno:
10 pounds(pre-cook weight) of pork belly burnt ends. I enjoyed a couple, but I they are for my wife’s office. They are having a pre-holiday pot-luck and it was a unanimous request from her office that she brings something that I smoked. What can I say, they like to put my meat in their mouth!
https://i.imgur.com/iaTUJeP.jpg
View Quote

This gave me a craving that I had to quell. I made some unsauced, some with Sweet Baby Ray's and an Asian Garlic mix that I made up. The Asian ones were amazing!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:14:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:

This gave me a craving that I had to quell. I made some unsauced, some with Sweet Baby Ray's and an Asian Garlic mix that I made up. The Asian ones were amazing!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59505/20211111_182649_jpg-2176943.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:
Originally Posted By Rhyno:
10 pounds(pre-cook weight) of pork belly burnt ends. I enjoyed a couple, but I they are for my wife’s office. They are having a pre-holiday pot-luck and it was a unanimous request from her office that she brings something that I smoked. What can I say, they like to put my meat in their mouth!
https://i.imgur.com/iaTUJeP.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59505/20211111_182649_jpg-2176943.JPG

Oh man! Pork belly with Asian flavorings sounds like perfection. I’m going to have to try this.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Yesterday I helped Mom prepare our Thanksgiving lunch. I did the purple hull peas and the green beans. I also did some of the prep work for the cornbread dressing. Took all kinds of notes, gonna try making my own soon.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 11:39:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Friday night pizza!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 12:13:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Biscuits & Gravy for supper.

Buttermilk biscuits and Jimmy Dean sage sausage gravy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Yesterday I made a batch of Chef John’s Hungarian Potato Soup. Used over a pound of sausage instead of the 6 oz the recipe calls for. I feel like its a better ratio of meat to potatoes n cabbage.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By bc5000:
Biscuits & Gravy for supper.

Buttermilk biscuits and Jimmy Dean sage sausage gravy.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/95986/IMG_6515_JPG-2185116.JPG
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Fried some venison backstrap this evening at my parents. Mom made mustard greens and cornbread. While my batter needs work, everything else was spot on.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Veal unit in school this week, so we portioned a clod and a couple eye rounds, pounded out some nice cutlets and made a marsala and a piccata. Also a Blanquette, which was a white stew with veal braised in chicken stock, pearl onions and mushrooms, thickened with a roux and finished with a liaison of egg and heavy cream and a touch of lemon juice. It was all delicious.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Kalbi

Link Posted: 12/4/2021 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Did you drop your plate on the way back in or mowed while it was grilling?
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Was fortunate to get to go to a hunt club that had chukar. Never shot one before, so I decided on chukar asada.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I made "man wings" last night.  With the absurd pricing of $3/lb for wings, I stole an idea from a friend and just made wings with chicken legs.  

I baked them at 375 in my smoker for 40 minutes and then sauced them up and put them in the air fryer for 10-12 minutes on high.  

Mango habenero and standard Sweet Baby Rays sauces.  Man wings for $0.92 a pound.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I made crab mac&cheese- it was glorious.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
I made "man wings" last night.  With the absurd pricing of $3/lb for wings, I stole an idea from a friend and just made wings with chicken legs.  

I baked them at 375 in my smoker for 40 minutes and then sauced them up and put them in the air fryer for 10-12 minutes on high.  

Mango habenero and standard Sweet Baby Rays sauces.  Man wings for $0.92 a pound.
View Quote

I don't know why more people don't do this.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:50:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MadMonkey] [#24]
Chicken & Rice, one of my favorite meals since I was a little kid

2-2.5lbs of boneless chicken pieces, breast or thighs, my mom used breasts but I like the extra moisture of thighs.

1 1/2 sticks of butter

2 cups rice

2.5 cups water

1 can French Onion Soup

1 can Cream of Celery Soup

1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

I usually use a nonstick cake pan, but a casserole dish is fine. Put the butter into the dish and into the oven to melt it.

Meanwhile, season the chicken with salt and pepper (I spread the thighs (giggity) or butterfly the breasts, makes the cooking more consistent imho) on both sides.

Once the butter is melted, pull the pan out, coat the chicken with the butter on both sides and set the chicken aside. I usually use tongs and just lay the chicken in the pan, flip it, then remove.

Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and mix thoroughly.

Lay the chicken in the pan on top of the mixture.

Place in the 350 degree oven and bake for approximately 1.5 hours. My gas oven is right on the money, my old electric oven would take another 15 minutes, sometimes more. The rice should be brown and crispy around the edges

Scoop and serve. Makes about 6 decent servings.

ETA: I THINK this came from an ooooold Betty Crocker cookbook, but I've been eating it since I was a child at least.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:56:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Friday night pizza!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:

*snip*

ETA: I THINK this came from an ooooold Betty Crocker cookbook, but I've been eating it since I was a child at least.
View Quote

My grandmother made this recipe regularly when she was still around.  After she passed mom found her handwritten recipe and had it put on a decorative dish towel for all of us in the family.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Logan45:

My grandmother made this recipe regularly when she was still around.  After she passed mom found her handwritten recipe and had it put on a decorative dish towel for all of us in the family.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:

*snip*

I'm curious, how do you and others who have eaten it like it? Is it as good as I think it is, or is it the nostalgia?
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Its a little bit of both really. The chicken juices flavor the rice well, but i find the chicken to be a little over cooked. It an easy recipe though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 7:11:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JLH3] [#29]
First time using my new Green Mountain. Wonderful results.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/18/2021 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#30]
A few days ago, I did my first Beef Bourguignon in my new Le Creuset pot.   It turned out great !  

Link Posted: 12/18/2021 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#31]
After the pork butt, I decided to move to one of my favorites, beef ribs. Now prior I had done them indirect fire on a Weber kettle. This was completely different and amazing. 8.5 hours at 275 with mesquite pellets.
5 hours in
Attachment Attached File

8.5 hours later
Attachment Attached File

Let it rest for 45 mins in an ice chest and we get this.
Attachment Attached File

The light made the middle look darker than it was. Have to say I'm sold.

Link Posted: 12/20/2021 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Gingerbread with lemon sauce.

Came across a recipe that called for 1.5 cups of cold brewed coffee in the batter which sounded good.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#33]
I have done kielbasa, potatoes, onions and cabbage in a ditch oven before.  Usually seasoned with black pepper, salt, sometimes a bit of brown sugar and caraway seed.  

Today I was sitting on afternoon deer watch and thinking about dinner.  Same basic ingredients; kielbasa, cabbage, onions and potatoes.  Instead of the usual seasonings I put in a quarter cup of really good soy sauce and a third cup of sweet chili garlic sauce and some black pepper.  Baked it another forty minutes.  

That was so freaking good.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Saturday night I did a big gumbo with a hen and some smokey deer sausage. Was good but not great.

Sunday after lunch Mom showed me how she makes her pralines. I’m sure I helped her as a kid, but this was the first time i really paid attention and helped out. Her pralines are fantastic.

Sunday evening I smothered some turnips with onions and sausage. First time cooking turnips, and while there was a hint of bitterness in them, they were still good.

Last night I put some white beans and smoked ham hocks in the crock pot and cooked them all night. Today at work some co workers did jambalaya and smothered turnips. We ate well.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Pulled pork on pretzel bun
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#37]
This morning I baked a chocolate chip pecan pie. One of my grandmother’s recipes that was a childhood favorite.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#38]

First time cooking turnips, and while there was a hint of bitterness in them, they were still good.

View Quote

@Logan45

To help with the bitterness there is a secret I was taught. If you cut the top off the turnip look closely and you will see a faint brown layer between the white meat and the outer skin. That layer is bitter. So when you peal the turnip go to just below the brown layer. That may not rid all the bitterness but will reduce it A LOT. Then the cooking will reduce it even more.

EBR
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By EBR666:

@Logan45

To help with the bitterness there is a secret I was taught. If you cut the top off the turnip look closely and you will see a faint brown layer between the white meat and the outer skin. That layer is bitter. So when you peal the turnip go to just below the brown layer. That may not rid all the bitterness but will reduce it A LOT. Then the cooking will reduce it even more.

EBR
View Quote

Thanks for the tip.  I'll try that next time I cook them.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Roasted Brussels sprouts w onion and bacon in cheesy cream sauce .
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#41]
For breakfast a bacon sandwich, potato pancakes and coffee.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 6:40:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Ranman223:
Roasted Brussels sprouts w onion and bacon in cheesy cream sauce .
View Quote

@Rnmn223

You made me cry!! I used to love eating a dish very similar to that and it was one of my food loves. But now I can no longer enjoy it cause I have very high Potassium level. I have to take a daily dose of meds to keep the level down. Now if you google Hi potassium food you'll see how many great foods I have to shy from.

EBR
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:46:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Pan-roasted duck breast,  brabant potatoes, mixed greens with bacon and onions and sweet and sour sauteed green beans. Looking forward to duck confit tacos tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Butter chicken with garlic naan. I honestly don't know if it gets any better, might very well be the best dish I've ever made.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By MainePure:
Butter chicken with garlic naan. I honestly don't know if it gets any better, might very well be the best dish I've ever made.
View Quote
Do you have a recipe link?
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Individualist:
Do you have a recipe link?
View Quote

Unfortunately, I do not have a link, it is a recipe from one of my chef school manuals. The naan recipe is from work. I can share them if someone tells me how to post pics here. Does this site have image hosting?

Link Posted: 12/29/2021 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#47]
trying something slightly new today.  Doing 7.5lb of pork butt.  The difference today is I'm doing boneless and it's cut in half to get more bark and potentially reduce cook time.  Running it moderate hot between 250 and 275, pretty much holding steady at 260 since I put it on at 7am.

Weber Smokey Mountain 22", Kingsford Blue, 5 chunks of hickory, mustard binder, Malcom's Killer Hog rub.

Link Posted: 12/29/2021 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By MainePure:

Unfortunately, I do not have a link, it is a recipe from one of my chef school manuals. The naan recipe is from work. I can share them if someone tells me how to post pics here. Does this site have image hosting?

View Quote
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/How-does-one-post-images-video-/3-2498435/?page=1&anc=95455248#i95455248
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 12:36:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#49]
Last night was Wally pizza.  Same as Sams Club pizza, but a shorter drive.  I simply can't build a pizza as cheap as they sell it.  

Tonight is potato soup.  I am building a recipe now.  So far I have garlic, leeks, onion, taters, salt, pepper, heavy cream, chikn stonks, parsley..................

I know I have a tested recipe in my cookbook, just trying to get ahead of tonight's cook.

Smoked prime rib this weekend.

I will probably build some elk stew this weekend if I can remember to thaw some out.  It was a big hit last time.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Here is the recipe for Butter Chicken. You can find any spices you need on Amazon if you can't source them locally.

Page / 85
what did you cook today? (Page 50 of 85)
Top Top