ASK THE CHEF Part DEAUX (Page 3 of 39)
Page / 39
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 6:53:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Le Lapin...

le petite bunny....

cute fuzzy little bunny....

why on earth do you want to RUIN Easter

for over 20 years in my culinary career,,I served Le Lapin Au Vin Blanc to 10's of 1000's of innocent people PAYING me to serve rabbit on my Easter Buffets...

rabbit can be fried like your favorite chicken, cooked friccassee, BBQ's fine and fits in with most recipes used for yard bird.

Le Lapin Au Vin
Ingredients

* 3 tablespoons olive oil
   * 2 cleaned and skined rabbits
   * 2 cloves garlic, crushed
   * 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
   * 4 portobello mushrooms, sliced
   * 1 pinch salt  
   * 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
   * 1 sweet onion, chopped
   * 1/3 cup Burgundy or Chardonnay
   * 1 cup heavy cream
   * 1/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
   * 2 cups flour seasoned with black pepper and salt and paprika
   * 2 tablespoons cornstarch or roux, arrowroot etc (optional)

Directions

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Rinse rabbit with cold water, shake "dry" Toss in seasoned flour and Add the rabbit to the skillet with crushed garlic, Brown the rabbit
       on both sides, then add the tomatoes and portobello mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
  2. Strain off about half of the liquid from the skillet, and pour in the Burgundy wine. Cover, and simmer for another 30 minutes. Remove the rabbit, tomatoes and mushrooms to a 9 inch      
      baking dish. Cover with sliced onion, and set aside.
  3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bring the liquid remaining in the skillet to the boiling point over medium-low heat. Gently whisk in the heavy cream and Gruyere
      cheese. Remove from the heat, and stir until smooth. If the sauce is not thick enough, whisk in the cornstarch/roux, and simmer over very low heat until it thickens.
      Pour the sauce over the rabbit in the baking dish.
  4. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until onions are tender. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.

roast rabbit

Ingredients

* 1 (2 pound) rabbit, cleaned and cut into pieces
   * salt and pepper to taste
   * 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
   * 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
   * 1 cup white wine
   * 4 small onions
   * 2 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
   * 1 orange

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Season the rabbit with salt and pepper, and spread the mustard onto it. Place into a Dutch oven, and pour the oil and white wine around it. Then put in the small onions and sprinkle with the bacon pieces.
  3. Bake covered, for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove lid and turn rabbit pieces over. Squeeze some juice from the orange over. Return to the oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until rabbit is tender.

thank you

Chef
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 7:31:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank YOU Chef.  That frickin bunny will never know what hit him.
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#3]
agreed, the Le Lapin Au Vin  sounds BLEEPING AWESOME

that's going on the list for later.

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 5:57:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nozzelnut] [#4]
Chef

I was recently in Vegas and had a great meal at FiAMMA in the MGM.  It's a mid/high level (for lack of a better term) Italian place.

I had a seafood gnocchi with lobster, mushrooms, and truffles in a creamy sauce.  It was fantastic. Hearty without being overfilling; creamy without being too rich; just a little buttery, and had a great depth of flavor; almost beef like  (more than a typical seafood dish)...  I'm also not a food critic so I'm not sure if what I'm saying about it makes sense.

What does a truffle add to flavor?

And how can I make this at home?

ETA I'm going to check if you've done ceasar salad; theirs was great too!
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:54:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#5]
Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:
yep

back and  bad as ever..

I lost my Mother last Thursday, had to travel to the Nor'Eastern end of United States for a few days and attend to her needs
she was a fine women, a good mother and will be missed by her numerous offspring, children, grandchildren and Great grandchildren, it was a full and contented life.

Chef

I posted condolences before I read your wish to keep those to IMs, so I've edited to add my food question.

In any case, my thoughts are with you and your family.  She had to have been a good woman.  She raised a good son who has touched many people in positive ways.

My question is about artichokes.  

I've looked at the index, and see artichoke dip, but don't see anything about artichokes in other ways.  Apologies if you've covered this since the index was updated.

I've never messed with them, and I have two of the arcane-looking things in the fridge at this point..  

It's easy to find tutorials on how to fix these things, but I'm wondering if you would share your favorite ways to prep and serve artichokes....I'm ignorant of the possibilities really, other than steam them and dip the leaves in butter.

Also, how do you judge quality in the grocery?
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 6:17:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#6]
Originally Posted By Nozzelnut:
Chef

I was recently in Vegas and had a great meal at FiAMMA in the MGM.  It's a mid/high level (for lack of a better term) Italian place.

I had a seafood gnocchi with lobster, mushrooms, and truffles in a creamy sauce.  It was fantastic. Hearty without being overfilling; creamy without being too rich; just a little buttery, and had a great depth of flavor; almost beef like  (more than a typical seafood dish)...  I'm also not a food critic so I'm not sure if what I'm saying about it makes sense.

What does a truffle add to flavor?

And how can I make this at home?

ETA I'm going to check if you've done ceasar salad; theirs was great too!

thank you, and yes, ceaser is discussed in one of the two thread..

Truffles..and your recipe, with out tasting the recipe or at least seeing and smelling it, I am not sure how I can tell you to make it, but will through a few ideas out for your edification.
Truffles,,are, truffles, and there are as many different taste profiles as there are types of these precious little" 'shroom's" from nutty to mushroomy to garlicky or bitter there are numerous flavors found in them.
The delicacy of these little tubers are found in the rarity and difficulty in obtaining them, Like Gold, Silver, Diamonds and other PRECIOUS metals and stones, True Truffles are up there with Platinum in the foodies world view.

Truffles are hypogeous (underground) versions of mushrooms. They don't form a prominent stem and their spore-bearing surfaces are enclosed. They rely on animals eating them (mycophagy) to distribute their spores, instead of air currents like mushrooms. Truffles resemble small potatoes, and often between the size of a marble and a golf ball (see the photo gallery). There are hundreds of different kinds of truffles, and while none are known to be poisonous, only a few of them are considered to be delicacies by humans. Truffles (and mushrooms) are only the "fruit" of the fungus  ; the main perennial fungal body exists as a web of filamentous hyphae IE Roots, in the soil. All of the truffle fungi form mycorrhizae with the roots of trees, and are essential to the trees' ability to acquire nutrients. The below ground fruiting habit of truffles is thought to be an adaptation to forest fires or dry or frosty periods, in which above ground mushrooms are more vulnerable.

n Europe, the term "truffle" in the very strictest ("true") sense has historically only referred to those hypogeous (below ground) fungi that were gourmet edibles, primarily in the genus Tuber. Tubers are members of a larger grouping of fungi called Ascomycetes. For some folks, only Tubers and their close relatives are considered "true truffles" (all others being "false truffles"), and for other folks all hypogeous Ascomycetes (irrespective of culinary qualities) are called "true truffles". However, there are many, many other perfectly nice species of hypogeous fungi, both Ascomycetes and Basidiomycetes, that are not particularly prized as food outside the squirrel community. Nowadays many folks have discarded the "true truffle" and "false truffle" distinctions for a more egalitarian nomenclature, and are quite comfortable simply calling all hypogeous fungi TRUFFLES.

Oregon brown truffle (Leucangium brunneum)
The Oregon brown truffle was discovered by NATS members in the early 1990's. It grows in younger Douglas-fir forests in the Oregon Coast Range and western foothills of the Cascades. It has a reddish-brown exterior and a greyish mottled interior. When mature the odor can be quite garlicky.

Oregon black truffle (Leucangium carthusianum, formerly Picoa carthusiana)
Less common than Oregon white truffles, Oregon blacks are larger (golf-ball to baseball size), and are often much deeper in the soil than Oregon whites (commonly 4-10" deep). They are very dark inside and out, and have a very pungent, earthy odor when ripe. Some equate the aroma to a strange mix of pineapple, port, mushrooms, rich soil, and chocolate. Looking like irregular lumps of coal, with white-veined flesh, the Oregon black truffle has a texture of moist Parmesan and ground almonds.

French black (Perigord) truffle (Tuber melanosporum)
Native to the oak forests of the Perigord region of central and southwest France, it is now widely cultivated in Spain, Australia, and the United States. The black perigord is among the most valuable of truffles at up to $1000/pound. It has a blue-black exterior when fresh, fading to brown-black with age and a pungent, earthy odor.

Italian white (Piedmont) truffle (Tuber magnatum)
Considered by some (mostly the French) to be second best to the French black truffles, its cost can exceed that of the perigord. It is native to the foothills and mountains of northern and central Italy and southern Yugoslavia. They grow in conjuction with oak, hazel, poplar, and beech trees. The flesh is solid, light-coloured, and very brittle; it is not unheard of for a fresh truffle to shatter if dropped on the floor. Large specimens can weigh as much as a pound, but most are the size of large walnuts. The white truffle is slightly more perishable than its darker cousins, and the flavour and aroma diminishes within a week or two after harvest. The white truffle has a distinctive pepper edge and is often eaten raw. The skin is a dirty beige when fresh, turning a darker brown with age. More information can be found at this website.

Burgundy, or Summer truffle (Tuber aestivum, formerly Tuber uncinatum)
Native to France, Italy, and Spain, the summer truffles are usually at their best in July, but can be found from May to October. They have a black exterior and off-white interior, and a relatively light scent. This truffle has been established on plantations in Sweden and New Zealand.

Tuscan truffle (Tuber borchii, formerly Tuber albidum)
Similar to the Italian white truffle in appearance, having a chestnut to muddy tan exterior and a softish interior equally divided between chocolate brown and white. The flavor can be distinctly garlicky.

Pecan (Texas) truffle (Tuber lyonii, formerly Tuber texense)
Pecan truffles (also called Texas truffles) are found from New Mexico to the gulf coast and eastern seaboard to the great lakes and eastern Canada. It is not limited to areas with pecan trees, but was named based on the habitat in which it was discovered. More information can be found at this University of Georgia website. Click here for a story about Pecan truffles from the Hilton Head Island-Bluffton Island Packet, and click here for a story about Pecan truffles from the New York Times.

Chinese truffles (Tuber sinense, Tuber indicum, and Tuber himalayense)
These are three distinct species found in South China, but pickers tend to lump them together as Chinese truffles. This is unfortunate since the flavor and quality vary from one species to another. First marketed in France in 1994, these truffles are now found in American restaurants at fairly reasonable prices, but their flavor and aroma do not come close to that of the French truffles, perhaps for the same reasons as Oregon white truffles (too many immature specimens). T. indicum is recognizable by its brown interior and very fine white veins. T. sinense has a dark brown interior with large ivory veins, and is said to be chewy and oily with a bitter aftertaste.

Desert truffles (Terfezia boudieri, Terfezia pfielii, Terfezia claveryi, and others)
Native to northern Africa and the Middle East, these truffles have been a staple for many nomadic tribes for millenia. Sometimes called the Lightning Truffle, they often fruit shortly after thunderstorms wet the desert. There is an account of desert truffle culture here.

Truffle info
Gnocchi, or Italian Dumplings have found a niche in recent years, viewed as poor folks food for centuries, it has become a part of the menu of many 4 star restaurants.

Gnocchi:

* 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes (about 2 medium)
   * 1 large egg yolk
   * 1/2 teaspoon salt
   * 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
   * Pinch of grated nutmeg
   * 7 tablespoons (about) all purpose flour

Mushroom Sauce:

* 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
   * 2 tablespoons olive oil
   * 12 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, sliced
   * 1/2 cup sliced shallots
   * 1 3/4 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
   * 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage

* 3 cups coarsely chopped arugula
   * 1/2 teaspoon (about) white truffle oil (optional)*
   * 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation

For gnocchi:
Preheat oven to 450°F. Pierce potatoes with fork. Bake until tender, about 1 hour. Cool slightly; cut potatoes in half and scoop pulp into large bowl. Mash potatoes well. Mix in egg yolk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Mix in enough flour to form firm, slightly elastic dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 4 equal portions. Gently roll 1 portion between hands and work surface to form 1/2-inch-thick rope about 18 inches long. Cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces. Roll each piece over tines of dinner fork to make grooves in gnocchi. Arrange gnocchi in single layer on floured baking sheet. Repeat with remaining 3 portions of dough.

Working in small batches, cook gnocchi in large pot of boiling salted water until gnocchi rise to top and are tender, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer gnocchi to large baking pan. (Gnocchi can be prepared ahead. Let stand 1 hour at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.)

For mushroom sauce:
Cook butter and olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat until butter begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and shallots and sauté until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add stock and sage; simmer until liquid is slightly reduced, about 8 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Add gnocchi to sauce in skillet and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Add arugula and stir until wilted. Divide equally among bowls. Drizzle with truffle oil,  Sprinkle with cheese.

Gnocchi with shrimp and peas.

* 3/4 lb large shrimp (about 30 pieces), peeled and deveined
   * 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
   * 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
   * 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
   * 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
   * 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
   * 3 cup potato gnocchi (see recipe above or use frozen pre made gnocchi)
   * 1/4 cup fresh peas
   * 1 tbsp thinly sliced green onion

Preparation

Toss shrimp with 1 tbsp oil, rosemary, parsley, red pepper flakes, and garlic and refrigerate 3 hours. Bring 8 cups well-salted water to a boil; add gnocchi. Drain when gnocchi float (about 5 minutes), reserving 1/4 cup liquid. Combine remaining 1 tbsp oil with shrimp, peas and green onion in a large sauté pan over high heat; season with salt and pepper. Add gnocchi and pasta liquid and cook until shrimp are pink and just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Serve warm.

hope that gets you on your way
Thank You..
CHEF
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
yep

back and  bad as ever..

I lost my Mother last Thursday, had to travel to the Nor'Eastern end of United States for a few days and attend to her needs
she was a fine women, a good mother and will be missed by her numerous offspring, children, grandchildren and Great grandchildren, it was a full and contented life.

Chef

I posted condolences before I read your wish to keep those to IMs, so I've edited to add my food question.

In any case, my thoughts are with you and your family.  She had to have been a good woman.  She raised a good son who has touched many people in positive ways.

I've looked at the index, and see artichoke dip, but don't see anything about artichokes in other ways.  Apologies if you've covered this since the index was updated.

I've never messed with them, and I have two of the arcane-looking things in the fridge at this point..  

It's easy to find tutorials on how to fix these things, but I'm wondering if you would share your favorite ways to prep and serve artichokes....I'm ignorant of the possibilities really, other than steam them and dip the leaves in butter.

Kitties, Thank you very much,,dont flatter me too much, may change my attitude towards women being of the friendly sort.....

I did a few things in the last few pages that covered some info on Chokes but didn't discuss purchasing..and also offer a simple preparation and serving recommendation.

so
Look for
small, round artichokes with tightly packed leaves that squeak when squeezed.

Refrigerate in a plastic bag for up to five days.

Trim the stem so it stands upright. Slice off the top inch of the artichoke. Remove the tough outer leaves and snip off any thorny tips.

Boil until a leaf pulls off easily, 30 to 45 minutes.

Serve with a dipping sauce such as melted butter with lemon, a bit of hollandaise, or for quick and easy, a ranch dressing works too

Eat by pulling the leaf through your teeth to scrape off the soft flesh. Cut away the fuzzy layer in the center to reveal the edible heart—try it sliced in a salad or in the fore offered recipes.

or make
Artichoke and Spinach Dip

Ingredients:

* 1.5lb chopped spinach    
   * 2 tablespoons butter
   * 2 cloves garlic, minced
   * Half of a small onion, finely chopped
   * 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
   * 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
   * 2 tablespoons flour
   * 2 cups chicken broth
   * Salt and freshly ground pepper
   * 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg (eyeball it)
   * 12 to 16 oz artichoke hearts fresh or canned.
   * 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
   * 1 cup freshly shredded mozzarella or scamorza cheese
   * 1 loaf whole grain baguette, cut into bite-size cubes

Directions:

1.       In a microwaveable bowl, defrost the spinach in the microwave for 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the spinach in a kitchen towel and wring dry. Tear the spinach into small pieces and set aside.
  2.      In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the thyme and lemon peel. Whisk in the flour and
           cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the chicken broth and season with salt, pepper and the nutmeg. Increase the heat to high and cook, whisking often, until thickened,
           6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the spinach, artichokes and half each of the Parmigiano-Reggiano and the mozzarella. Transfer the mixture to a casserole. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
  3.      Preheat the broiler. Broil the dip until bubbly and lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Serve with the bread cubes.

CHEF
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By cutlass1972:
Hey Chef,

Got a good batter recipe for fish and chips?

Hello chef,

Did you miss this one?

As always, Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 8:24:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey Chef,

Hello chef,

Did you miss this one?

As always, Thank you!

I did,,

Teaching a seminar till Monday, will get this asap
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey Chef,

Hello chef,

Did you miss this one?

As always, Thank you!

I did,,

Teaching a seminar till Monday, will get this asap

no worries. I figured you just overlooked it, but I did want your input.

Good luck with the seminar!
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#11]
somthing I dont usually do, as having dial up at the ranch is a PITA in doing pics..it took me the last 24hours to get the ones posted here to upload..
so, enjoy I hope
Chefs bread

grist mill, I have a hand mill as well, but need grandchildren to run that one..

first rise

second rise

30 minutes later at 375

and an open slice

it is a simple 6 cup recipe, with 3 wheat, 3 white, 2 cps water, 4.5tsp yeast, 3 tsp honey 1.5tsp kosher salt and a bit of olive oil to lubricate the loaf during the rising process.
 during the mixing process I add pecans, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, ans sunflower seeds

Link Posted: 3/20/2011 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks good Chef!

I'll probably try some wheat flour in my next batch.
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Unlock
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 4/16/2011 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#16]
yep

back and  bad as ever..

Chef

Link Posted: 4/16/2011 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm sorry for your loss
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry about your loss Chef.
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry to hear that CHEF.
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 11:58:45 PM EDT
[#20]
you have my deepest condolences Chef.
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Thank you all, and please, IM your condolences, while appreciated, lets keep this food train on track, please
here is one of Mothers Recipes, always made at Christmas and Easter and a family favorite....

English Trifle.

Ingredients

* 1 (9 inch) sponge cake or "Lady Fingers"
   * 1 cup Raspberry Jam
   * 2 (3 ounce) packages of Raspberry flavored gelatin
   * 15 ounces prepared BIRDS CUSTARD
   * 1/2 pint heavy cream
   * 2 ounces finely shredded bittersweet chocolate
   * 1tsp cocoa powder

Directions

1. Slice cake and spread pieces with jelly or jam. Sandwich pieces of cake together and slice and arrange pieces along the sides of glass trifle bowl or other glass serving bowl. Prepare the gelatin according to package directions and pour over cake. Refrigerate until set, 2 hours.
  2. Pour prepared pudding or custard over the set gelatin. In a medium bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks form. Spread over pudding. Sprinkle with chocolate and DUST (very fine dust) with cocoa and chill in refrigerator until serving.

Chef

had to be birds custard, I remember one Easter Saturday, my Grandparents were going to be at dinner after church, and I being dragged through several different groceries by my father seeking out Birds Custard as Nan would NEVER be happy with American "pudding" in the Trifle..
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Mother was reknowed for her Date Bread..
when I was a child, this was like candy..as dates became more expensive, it became more a bread..

Ingredients

* 2 1/2 cups chopped dates up to 3 1/2 work fine and my preference.
   * 1/4 cup butter
   * 1 cup boiling water
   * 1/2 cup packed brown sugar (3/4 cup for denser bread)
   * 1 egg
   * 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
   * 1 teaspoon baking soda
   * 1 teaspoon baking powder
   * 1 teaspoon salt
   * 1 cup chopped walnuts, pecans or even macadamia's

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees F). Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine the dates and butter. Pour boiling water over them, and let stand until cool.
  3. When the dates have cooled, stir the mixture to break up any clumps. Mix in the brown sugar and egg until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; stir into the date mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pan.
  4. Bake for 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean.

This was commonly made by her from Thanksgiving thru the new year and given as gifts to friends and family
my oldest nephew has carried on the tradition, I think they said they made 50 last year.

Chef.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Andras:
Hey Chef, welcome back. Sorry for your loss though.

I'm making some pork bbq for sandwiches and made a batch of the sandwich rolls you posted a while back. I made a half batch to start with

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/rcsg_2009/buns1.jpg

I made 8 instead of the 12 called for and wish they were a little bigger so I may try for 6 rolls next time. There's 7 in the pic since I ate one when they were still hot! I used 2 cups white and 1 cup wheat flour for this half-batch. I knead them on cornmeal for a bit of taste and there's some still on the top of the rolls.

WHERE?

I'm in need of a good hamburger/hotdog bun recipe. The bakery, that made a killer bun, has gone the Gordons way!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Don't be sad, I just missed your ceviche post.  I'm going to try it next time I go shopping.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey chef! I hope all is well.

Do you happen to have a good landjager recipe that is actually fermented? The recipe that I have uses ferment to simulate the lactic acid tang. It is good, but I would like to make the real deal.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Afterwork_Ninja:

Don't be sad, I just missed your ceviche post.  I'm going to try it next time I go shopping.  Thank you.

you are welcome..

thank you for asking..tell your friends, try the veal
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:06:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#28]
got some leftover "imitation" crab.   I tried making a crab salad sandwich (like a tunafish salad sandwich), but it didn't work.  it really has no flavor.  (it was on smoking sale, I would have never bought it otherwise)

ideas?????????
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey chef! I hope all is well.

Do you happen to have a good landjager recipe that is actually fermented? The recipe that I have uses ferment to simulate the lactic acid tang. It is good, but I would like to make the real deal.

LandJaeger, or Country Hunter sausage...

is a fermented/dried/smoked sausage that holds at "room temp" for quite some time, but remember when storing it, it can go rancid as does jerky over time. may be 10 years, but nothing is forever..

generally due to the spices and drying process, the "sniff test" for rancidity may not present unless it is in the de-comp stage and please keep in mind,  as with any dried or jerked meats, they can lead to bowel discomfort or worse and this particular sausage, though using ingredients that displace bacteria, is a bit of a higher risk IMHO..so, be careful

LandJaeger it can be made with beef, pork, venison, or any combination thereof:

* 4 pounds venison
   * 1 pound pork fat
   * 3 tablespoons kosher salt
   * 2 tablespoons) sugar or dextrose
   * 1 teaspoon) Instacure No. 1
   * 1 teaspoon garlic powder
   * 1 teaspoon caraway seed
   * 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
   * 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
   * 2 teaspoons ground allspice
   * 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
   * 2 tablespoons starter culture T-SPX
   * 1/2 cup distilled water

1. Chill the meat and fat in the freezer for at least 1 hour. You want it close to frozen, even a little crispy cold.

2. Chop the meat and fat into 1-inch chunks. Remove as much silverskin and gristle as you can from the venison.

3. Put about 10 feet of hog casings into some warm salt water and set aside.(I like about 1/3 white viniger to 2/3 water and a handful of salt)
  4. Mix all the spices, salt, curing salt and sugar with the meat and fat. Chill for 1 hour in the fridge.

5. Grind through the fine die on your grinder. If you are using trim from a deer it is best to grind first through the coarse die, then again through the fine die. If you need to double-grind, chill the meat in the freezer between grindings for 15-20 minutes and you may want to clean and chill your grinder as well.

6. prepare your casings by running warm salt water through your hog casings. This flushes them, and will show you any leaks in the casings. Set them aside when you’re done.

7. Take the temperature of the meat: it should be less than 40 degrees for processing.

8. When the meat is at temp, prepare the starter culture ready, mix the starter culture with the distilled water and allow to sit for 5 minutes.

9. Take out the meat and put it in a mixer bowl with the heavy paddle attachment. Add the starter culture, then mix everything on the lowest setting for 60-90 seconds. You will see the meat change texture. You are looking for a good bind, where the meat is beginning to stick to itself.

10. Put the meat into your sausage stuffer and stuff it into the hog casings. Twist off into links of about 6 to 8 inches. you can do a triple twist or Tie off each link with twine

11. Hang the links on a drying rack and allow fermentation to begin, be sure to keep a moist atmosphere— if you have bubbles in the casing, use a sterilized needle to prick the casing you want remove oxygen to stop bacteria growth..

12. beging to ferment the sausage.  

13. Let sausages hang for at least 24 hours, and up to 48 hours. Every 6-12 hours, spritz them with a spray mister to keep them moist. This is the fermentation stage, where the starter culture defeats any bad bacteria in the sausage.

14. When the sausages are ready, prepare your smoker with a cool fire, you want heavier smoke and less heat.

15. Use oak, hickory, any fruit or nut wood. Smoke the links for 2-3 hours, temperature needs to stays cool.

16. If the smoker gets above 150 degrees, douse the links in an ice water bath to stop any cooking. Pat them dry.

17.  hang them in your drying chamber.  Hang the links at about 80 percent humidity for at least 2 weeks before eating. You can dry them for up to  6 weeks. they should be Stored in the the Refer or sealed and stored in the freezer.

hope that helps

CHEF
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By BozemanMT:
got some leftover "imitation" crab.   I tried making a crab salad sandwich (like a tunafish salad sandwich), but it didn't work.  it really has no flavor.  (it was on smoking sale, I would have never bought it otherwise)

ideas?????????

well, there is nothing like imitation crab, imitation coffee, imitation cream to make us realize that imitation is CRAP and should be avoided at all costs.
surimi was designed to be able to use giant cast nets off the massive fishing vessels the Japanese use and make use of 100% of what ever was gathered up in these nets when dipped in the pacific..the word means chopped meat (supposedly..) it is Japanese loan word(taken from the Chinese) referring to a fish-based food product intended to mimic the texture and color of the meat of lobster, crab and other shellfish. It is typically made from white-fleshed fish (such as pollock or hake) that has been pulverized to a paste and attains a rubbery texture when cooked.  
that said,
the best usage is to mix it with real crab, shrimp or gasp, choke, cough lobster to quote Mr Obama "spread the wealth around" and use up that slurry of catch o the day fish and wall paper paste spray painted red, best to shred it, dice it small and pretend it isnt there in soup, stews or chowders, or crab cakes It does not work well, for me anyways in Salads at all, or as a center of plate item   ..
I would use the surimi as 1/2 the content, if recipe calls for 1lb of shrimp, crab etc, sup 1/2 lb surimi instead.

Seafood Chowder
Ingredients

* 4 pounds haddock fillets , cut into 3/4 inch pieces
   * 1/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
   * 1/4 pound bay scallops
   * 4 bacon strips, diced
   * 3 medium onions, quartered and thinly sliced
   * 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
   * 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
   * 4 cups milk
   * 2 tablespoons butter
   * 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
   * 2 teaspoons salt
   * 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
   * 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

1. Place haddock in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes longer. Drain, reserving 2 cups cooking liquid; set liquid and seafood aside.
  2. In a soup kettle, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain on paper towels. In the drippings, saute onions until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add potatoes; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
  3. Add the milk, seafood, butter, parsley, salt, lemon-pepper and pepper; heat through. Sprinkle with bacon.

OR

lost in a quick

Etouffee

Ingredients

* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
   * 1/2 cup margarine
   * 1 cup diced onion
   * 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
   * 1 tablespoon minced garlic
   * 1 pound peeled crawfish ( sub with surimi)
   * 3 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
   * 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
   * 1 tablespoon dried parsley
   * salt to taste
   * ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. In an 8 quart stock pot over medium heat, add vegetable oil and margarine. Saute onions, green pepper and garlic until onions are translucent.
  2. Add crawfish to the onion mixture, and cook for 5 minutes. Add a little water to keep crawfish moist while cooking.
  3. Stir in soup and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Sprinkle in parsley after about 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste while simmering. Water can be added to thin as desired.

OR
Crab cakes

Ingredients

* 1 pound fresh crab meat
   * 1 egg
   * 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
   * 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
   * 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
   * 4 ounces buttery round crackers, crushed
   * 2 cups oil for frying, or as needed

Directions

1. In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine crabmeat, egg, mayonnaise, mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.
  2. In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of vegetable oil to a high heat. Roll heaping spoonfuls on the crab mixture in the crackers, then place the ball in the hot oil. Flatten lightly with a spatula so that the crab cake is 1/2 inch thick. Fry the crab cakes, flipping to ensure both sides get browned.

or

take it to the nearest homeless shelter, it is food after all..

CHEF

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Feral:
Chef,

Got anything quick and easy to do with rhubarb? We don't eat much of it but Mrs. Feral brought some home from somewhere yesterday. I recall eating it as a kid....I think mom mixed it up with sugar and cooked it, don't remember the details.

Suggestions?

my Dad grew and LOVED Rhubarb, Mother cooked it down after chopping it up a bit, mixed it with sugar and thickeing agent of some sort and baked it in a pie shell with fresh whip cream on top..HMMMMM or add a 1/2 slices berries to the mix just before placing in the pie shell for a strawberry rhubarb pie..

or
Rhubarb Dumplings
Ingredients

* 1lb buttermilk biscuit dough
   * 2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
   * 1 cup white sugar
   * 1 cup water
   * 1/2 cup butter, melted
   * 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
   * 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or to taste

Directions

2. Separate dough into biscuits. Flatten each one into about a 3 inch circle. Place a generous tablespoon of chopped rhubarb in the center of each circle. Wrap the dough up around the rhubarb, and pinch to seal tightly. Place the dumplings seam side down in a 9x13 inch baking dish. In a medium bowl, or large measuring cup, stir together the sugar, water, butter and vanilla. Pour over the dumplings in the pan. Sprinkle cinnamon over the top.

3. Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until biscuits are golden brown.

Rhubarb pudding
Ingredients

* 1 cup all-purpose flour
   * 1/2 cup white sugar
   * 1 pinch salt
   * 1 egg
   * 1 tablespoon melted butter
   * 1/2 cup milk
   * 4 cups sliced rhubarb
   * 2 cups white sugar
   * 1 1/2 cups boiling water

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Whisk the flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl; set aside. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  2. Beat the egg, butter, and milk in a bowl until smooth. Stir in the flour mixture until moistened, then spread into the prepared baking dish. Stir together the rhubarb, 2 cups of sugar, and the water; pour into the baking dish.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until the dough has set and the rhubarb is bubbly, about 40 minutes.

RHUBARB CHEESECAKE

Ingredients

* 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shell
   * 3 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
   * 1/2 cup white sugar
   * 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
   * 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
   * 1/2 cup white sugar
   * 2 eggs
   * 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
   * 2 tablespoons white sugar
   * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. In a medium bowl, toss the rhubarb with 1/2 cup of sugar and the flour. Pour into the pie shell. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove, and allow to cool. Lower the temperature of the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  3. In a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese and 1/2 cup of sugar until smooth. Stir in the eggs one at a time until each is blended. Pour this mixture over the rhubarb in the crust.
  4. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until set. Remove from the oven, and set aside. In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and vanilla. Spread over the top of the pie while it is hot. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled before serving.

and of course, relish's, jelly and rhubarb D Gallo..
thank you for a few pleasant memories...of a long forgotten vegetable..

CHEF
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#32]

ideas?????????

well, there is nothing like imitation crab, imitation coffee, imitation cream to make us realize that imitation is CRAP and should be avoided at all costs.
surimi was designed to be able to use giant cast nets off the massive fishing vessels the Japanese use and make use of 100% of what ever was gathered up in these nets when dipped in the pacific..the word means chopped meat (supposedly..) it is Japanese loan word(taken from the Chinese) referring to a fish-based food product intended to mimic the texture and color of the meat of lobster, crab and other shellfish. It is typically made from white-fleshed fish (such as pollock or hake) that has been pulverized to a paste and attains a rubbery texture when cooked.  
that said,
the best usage is to mix it with real crab, shrimp or gasp, choke, cough lobster to quote Mr Obama "spread the wealth around" and use up that slurry of catch o the day fish and wall paper paste spray painted red, best to shred it, dice it small and pretend it isnt there in soup, stews or chowders, or crab cakes It does not work well, for me anyways in Salads at all, or as a center of plate item   ..
I would use the surimi as 1/2 the content, if recipe calls for 1lb of shrimp, crab etc, sup 1/2 lb surimi instead.

Seafood Chowder
Ingredients

* 4 pounds haddock fillets , cut into 3/4 inch pieces
   * 1/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
   * 1/4 pound bay scallops
   * 4 bacon strips, diced
   * 3 medium onions, quartered and thinly sliced
   * 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
   * 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
   * 4 cups milk
   * 2 tablespoons butter
   * 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
   * 2 teaspoons salt
   * 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
   * 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

1. Place haddock in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes longer. Drain, reserving 2 cups cooking liquid; set liquid and seafood aside.
  2. In a soup kettle, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain on paper towels. In the drippings, saute onions until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add potatoes; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
  3. Add the milk, seafood, butter, parsley, salt, lemon-pepper and pepper; heat through. Sprinkle with bacon.

CHEF

that sounds yummy!  

I don't eat fish very often, but I wonder how a fresh water medley of Crawfish tails with maybe Catfish or Crappie or some other game fish would do?  filing that one away for the next fishing trip.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Chef,

Got anything quick and easy to do with rhubarb? We don't eat much of it but Mrs. Feral brought some home from somewhere yesterday. I recall eating it as a kid....I think mom mixed it up with sugar and cooked it, don't remember the details.

Suggestions?

I've got a really good rhubarb bar recipe.  I'll try to post it later if I have time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Afterwork_Ninja] [#34]
My mom's rhubarb bars:

3 cups rhubarb
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 T. corn starch
1/4 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla

Dissolve cornstarch in water.  Add above ingredients and cook until thick.

1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp soda
1 cup shortening
1/2 cup nuts

Mix above ingredients until crumbly.  Spread 3/4 of crust into a 9 x 13 pan.  Pour sauce over dry mix.  Top with remaining dry mix.  Bake at 375 degrees 30-35 minutes.  

I cut down the sugar in the rhubarb and add some raspberries and black berries to it because I like it a little tart.

Vanilla ice cream is also a must.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#35]
thanks chef, I'll give that etoufee a try.

I know, I knew it was going to suck AND IT DID.

i should have listened to myself.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#36]

I'm making some pork bbq for sandwiches and made a batch of the sandwich rolls you posted a while back. I made a half batch to start with

I made 8 instead of the 12 called for and wish they were a little bigger so I may try for 6 rolls next time. There's 7 in the pic since I ate one when they were still hot! I used 2 cups white and 1 cup wheat flour for this half-batch. I knead them on cornmeal for a bit of taste and there's some still on the top of the rolls.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Andras:

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/rcsg_2009/buns1.jpg

look GREAT

thank you for sharing..
CHEF
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Hello again, Chef.

This year I decided to add artichokes to my garden, and I've been experimenting to figure out the best way to cook/prepare artichokes.

I have tried steaming and boiling chokes, and of the two boiling seemed to turn out better, but I'm not entirely happy with the end result.  A problem that I noticed is that they oxidize and turn brown very quickly after cooking.  I wouldn't be very concerned with this if I was eating it immediately.

I'm interested in preserving the hearts for long-term storage... I expect to have about a hundred or so chokes to harvest this year.

Do you have any advice or recipes for cooking and preserving chokes?

Link Posted: 4/3/2011 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Marauder777:
Hello again, Chef.

This year I decided to add artichokes to my garden, and I've been experimenting to figure out the best way to cook/prepare artichokes.

I have tried steaming and boiling chokes, and of the two boiling seemed to turn out better, but I'm not entirely happy with the end result.  A problem that I noticed is that they oxidize and turn brown very quickly after cooking.  I wouldn't be very concerned with this if I was eating it immediately.

I'm interested in preserving the hearts for long-term storage... I expect to have about a hundred or so chokes to harvest this year.

Do you have any advice or recipes for cooking and preserving chokes?

Arti was this guy who would to collections for cheap,,one day while doing so, a witness came in unexpectedly while Arti
was chokin out the guy he was tryin to collect from. Arti then turned on the newcommer and choked him out too, when he went to turn
in the funds confiscated to his employer, the employeer took the funds, threw a single dollar bill at Arti, claimed himself a Copper
and arrested him and threw him back in jail under the crime of:

ARTI CHOKES TWO FOR A DOLLAR...

1.     Wash artichokes under cold running water.
2. Pull off lower petals which are small or discolored.
3. Cut stems close to base. ( Use stainless knives to prevent discoloration. )
4. Cut off top quarter and tips of petals, if desired. ( Generally, some people like the look of clipped petals, but it really isn't necessary to remove the thorns.
       They soften with cooking)
5. Plunge into acidified water to preserve color. ( One tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice per quart of water. )
6.   The trimmed artichoke stems are edible. Cut brown end about ½-inch. Peel fibrous outer layer to reach tender green of stem. Stem may be steamed whole with the artichoke.      
        Cut into rounds or julienne for salads or pastas.
7. Follow steps 1 through 6. Give cut side a "rap" on the counter top. Gently spread petals until central cone is reached.
8. Pull out central purple or thorny center leaves.
9. With a spoon, scrape out any remaining purple and fuzz.
10. Stuff center and outer petals with mixture prior to cooking. (see stuffing recipe)
       While the tiniest of artichokes can be steamed whole and eaten like the larger sizes,
14. Bend back outer petals, snapping them off at the base.
15. Continue snapping off petals until the leaves are half green (at the top) and half yellow.
16. Using a stainless steel knife, cut the top cone of the leaves at the point where the yellow meets the green. (Green is fibrous.)
17. Cut the stem level with the base and trim any remaining green from the base of the artichoke. (Just like peeling the skin from an apple.)
18. Plunge into acidified water.
19. Steam whole; for stir-fry or sauté, cut in half or quarter horizontally. If there are purple or pink leaves, cut them out. (Those leaves will be tough.) If the interior is white, the entire
       artichoke is edible. and remember, Always Place in acidified water to minimize browning while prepping..

artichokes stuffed.

Ingredients

* 6 whole artichokes
   * 3 slices Italian bread, cubed
   * 1 clove garlic, minced
   * 1/8 cup chopped fresh parsley
   * 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
   * 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
   * 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided

Directions

1. Snip the pointed tips of artichoke leaves, and cut off the stems. Wash and drain. Holding artichoke firmly by base, firmly rap the top of it on a hard surface; this will open it so it can be stuffed.
  2. In a medium bowl combine bread cubes, garlic, parsley, Romano cheese, oregano, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, salt and pepper; mix well.
  3. Press about 1/2 cup of stuffing into each artichoke. Tightly pack stuffed artichokes together in a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven. Add enough water to reach half way up artichokes and add 3 tablespoons oil.
  4. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour, or until leaves pull out easily.

or simply clean, steam, dip in clarified butter and nibble..or use a bit of cream cheese...

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I seen it enough times on No Reservations that I have to try it now.

Let's talk about Ceviche, sometimes spelled Seviche, I'm not sure which one to use.

I have never seen it spelled with an "S"

I Know I posted a ceviche recipe some time ago, but lets add a refresher and a slightly different version...
Ingredients

* 4 pounds shrimp
   * 1 pound scallops
   * 6 large limes, juiced
   * 1 large lemon, juiced
   * 1 small white onion, chopped
   * 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
   * 1 large tomato, coarsely chopped
   * 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
   * 1 serrano pepper, chopped
   * 1 bunch cilantro
   * 1 tablespoon olive oil
   * 1 tablespoon kosher salt
   * ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. In a large glass or ceramic bowl, gently toss the shrimp and scallops with the lime juice and lemon juice. Mix in onion, cucumber, tomato, jalapeno, serrano, cilantro, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Cover bowl, and chill ceviche 1 hour in the refrigerator, until shrimp and scallops are opaque.

Chef
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#42]
ok
been too dang busy to cook.

so
if I go into a new to me restaurant, what are some quick things I should look for that tell me the place is on the ball and I probably won't die from it.
(chain or local)

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#43]
How about some ideas for 100+ degree days?
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Watermelon

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#45]
ok
been too dang busy to cook.

so
if I go into a new to me restaurant, what are some quick things I should look for that tell me the place is on the ball and I probably won't die from it.
(chain or local)

cleanliness of windows, doors, corners
and bathrooms, especially the availability of soap

if there is no soap for hand washing in the john, there is NONE in the kitchen either..
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#46]

how do I know, it too freakin hot....

I will work on a few things this evening..
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#47]

Pasta salad
Ingredients

* 1 (16 ounce) package macaroni, spirili, shells, or other small to medium shaped pastas
   * 4 eggs
   * 1 cup mayonnaise
   * 1/2 cup sour cream
   * 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
   * 2 tablespoons sweet pickle juice
   * 1 cup chopped celery
   * 1/2 cup chopped red onion
   * 1/2 cup pimento-stuffed green olives
   * 1/4 cup chopped sweet pickle
   * 2 carrots, grated
   * 1 green bell pepper, chopped
   * 2 tablespoons celery seed
optional
   * 1 or 2 can of drained Chicken, Shrimp, Crab or Tuna ( increase mayo by 1/4cup and sour cream by 1/8 cup per can)

Directions

1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until al dente. Drain, and rinse. Set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, place eggs in a saucepan, and cover completely with cold water. Bring water to a boil. Cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, and cool. Peel, and chop.
  3. In a medium bowl, mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, dry mustard, and sweet pickle juice. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
  4. In a large bowl, combine pasta, celery, onion, olives, sweet pickles, carrots, green pepper, celery seeds, and eggs(optional meats). Stir in dressing, and mix well.
  5. chill and serve, DO NOT LEAVE OUT and allow to gain Room Temp like all mayo based salads

Cucumber Salad

Ingredients

* 4 medium cucumbers, peeled and diced
   * 1 (8 ounce) container vanilla low-fat yogurt
   * 1 (8 ounce) container reduced-fat sour cream
   * 1/2 cup diced onion
   * 1 tablespoon dried dill weed

Directions

1. Drain cucumbers for a few minutes on paper towels. In a serving dish, stir together the yogurt, sour cream, onion, garlic, and dill. Add cucumbers, and gently mix to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving for best flavor.

Crab Salad

Ingredients

* 1lb crabmeat, Lump, Blue, King or Queen, fresh, frozen or canned.
   * 3/4 cup creamy salad dressing (I LIKE. Miracle Whip) or use mayo
   * 3 stalks celery, chopped
   * 5 tablespoons finely chopped onion
   * 1 carrot, shredded

Directions

1. Lightly shred or chunk the crab meat and hold.(shredded for cracker service, chunk if your topping a salad with it
   2.  Combine with salad dressing, celery, onions and carrot.
   3. Gently fold in the crab
   4. Chill for about an hour before serving.

Chicken Salad (great with left over grilled or BBQ Chickens) AND IT HAS BACON!!!1
Ingredients

* 2 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
   * 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
   * 1 8 ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained
   * 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
   * 1 cup halved green grapes
   * 3/4 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing AGAIN  I prefer miracle whip to mayo..BUT your call, and I DO HAVE KRAFT STOCK...
   * 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
   * 2 teaspoons finely minced onion
   * 1 teaspoon lemon juice
   * 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
   * 1 dash Worcestershire sauce

Directions

1. Combine chicken, bacon, water chestnuts, celery and grapes in large bowl; set aside. In another bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients; add to salad and toss to coat. Chill until serving.

Black Bean and Chickpea salad
Ingredients

* 1lb Cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
   * 1lb cooked Chick Peas AKA garbanzo beans, drained
   * 2 cups corn kernels
   * 1/2 onion, finely diced
   * 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
   * 2 FRESH jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced (optional but a HUGE difference in taste profiel)
   * 1 red bell pepper, diced
   * 1/4 cup olive oil
   * 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
   * 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
   * salt to taste
   * 1/2 teaspoon honey

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine the black beans, garbanzo beans, corn, onion, cilantro, jalapenos, bell pepper, olive oil, lime juice, pepper, salt and honey. Mix well; refrigerate and allow flavors to blend.

theres a few ideas for you Ninja
CHEF

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
yep

back and  bad as ever..

Chef

Kitties, Thank you very much,,dont flatter me too much, may change my attitude towards women being of the friendly sort.....

I did a few things in the last few pages that covered some info on Chokes but didn't discuss purchasing..and also offer a simple preparation and serving recommendation.

so
Look for
small, round artichokes with tightly packed leaves that squeak when squeezed.

Refrigerate in a plastic bag for up to five days.

Trim the stem so it stands upright. Slice off the top inch of the artichoke. Remove the tough outer leaves and snip off any thorny tips.

Boil until a leaf pulls off easily, 30 to 45 minutes.

Serve with a dipping sauce such as melted butter with lemon, a bit of hollandaise, or for quick and easy, a ranch dressing works too

Eat by pulling the leaf through your teeth to scrape off the soft flesh. Cut away the fuzzy layer in the center to reveal the edible heart—try it sliced in a salad or in the fore offered recipes.

or make
Artichoke and Spinach Dip

Ingredients:

* 1.5lb chopped spinach    
   * 2 tablespoons butter
   * Half of a small onion, finely chopped
   * 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
   * 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
   * 2 tablespoons flour
   * 2 cups chicken broth
   * Salt and freshly ground pepper
   * 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg (eyeball it)
   * 12 to 16 oz artichoke hearts fresh or canned.
   * 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
   * 1 cup freshly shredded mozzarella or scamorza cheese
   * 1 loaf whole grain baguette, cut into bite-size cubes

Directions:

1.       In a microwaveable bowl, defrost the spinach in the microwave for 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the spinach in a kitchen towel and wring dry. Tear the spinach into small pieces and set aside.
  2.      In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the thyme and lemon peel. Whisk in the flour and
           cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the chicken broth and season with salt, pepper and the nutmeg. Increase the heat to high and cook, whisking often, until thickened,
           6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the spinach, artichokes and half each of the Parmigiano-Reggiano and the mozzarella. Transfer the mixture to a casserole. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
  3.      Preheat the broiler. Broil the dip until bubbly and lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Serve with the bread cubes.

CHEF

I've been away, so I'm late in saying thank you, but....thank you.

I let the chokes ruin in my fridge because of unexpected travel.  Must get some more and try this.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 5:29:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#49]
Chef,

Suggestions?

my Dad grew and LOVED Rhubarb, Mother cooked it down after chopping it up a bit, mixed it with sugar and thickeing agent of some sort and baked it in a pie shell with fresh whip cream on top..HMMMMM or add a 1/2 slices berries to the mix just before placing in the pie shell for a strawberry rhubarb pie..

or
Rhubarb Dumplings
Ingredients

* 1lb buttermilk biscuit dough
   * 2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
   * 1 cup white sugar
   * 1 cup water
   * 1/2 cup butter, melted
   * 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
   * 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or to taste

Directions

2. Separate dough into biscuits. Flatten each one into about a 3 inch circle. Place a generous tablespoon of chopped rhubarb in the center of each circle. Wrap the dough up around the rhubarb, and pinch to seal tightly. Place the dumplings seam side down in a 9x13 inch baking dish. In a medium bowl, or large measuring cup, stir together the sugar, water, butter and vanilla. Pour over the dumplings in the pan. Sprinkle cinnamon over the top.

3. Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until biscuits are golden brown.

Rhubarb pudding
Ingredients

* 1 cup all-purpose flour
   * 1/2 cup white sugar
   * 1 pinch salt
   * 1 egg
   * 1 tablespoon melted butter
   * 1/2 cup milk
   * 4 cups sliced rhubarb
   * 2 cups white sugar
   * 1 1/2 cups boiling water

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Whisk the flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl; set aside. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  2. Beat the egg, butter, and milk in a bowl until smooth. Stir in the flour mixture until moistened, then spread into the prepared baking dish. Stir together the rhubarb, 2 cups of sugar, and the water; pour into the baking dish.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until the dough has set and the rhubarb is bubbly, about 40 minutes.

RHUBARB CHEESECAKE

Ingredients

* 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shell
   * 3 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
   * 1/2 cup white sugar
   * 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
   * 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
   * 1/2 cup white sugar
   * 2 eggs
   * 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
   * 2 tablespoons white sugar
   * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. In a medium bowl, toss the rhubarb with 1/2 cup of sugar and the flour. Pour into the pie shell. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove, and allow to cool. Lower the temperature of the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  3. In a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese and 1/2 cup of sugar until smooth. Stir in the eggs one at a time until each is blended. Pour this mixture over the rhubarb in the crust.
  4. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until set. Remove from the oven, and set aside. In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and vanilla. Spread over the top of the pie while it is hot. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled before serving.

and of course, relish's, jelly and rhubarb D Gallo..
thank you for a few pleasant memories...of a long forgotten vegetable..

CHEF

We grew rhubarb when I was little, and my mom made rhubarb pies.  I've wanted to start some ever since.  I'm going to try to find some if it's not too late now.  

Thanks Chef!
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#50]
was watching Dexter the other night and the crazy smart FBI guy was having a cucumber sandwich, and in the show the guy says "the secret is the cream cheese"

so, Chef, how about it?
Page / 39
ASK THE CHEF Part DEAUX (Page 3 of 39)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top