BCM
User Panel

ASK THE CHEF Part DEAUX (Page 2 of 39)
Page / 39
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 1:50:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By quijanos:

Chef,

Is there any way to speed "season" a cast iron skillet.   I've got several pieces that are years old and well seasoned.  

Recently purchased a new size and want to season as well as others I've had and curious if some foods / oils do a better job than others or at speeding the process.  The piece came pre seasoned but its nothing like my ones that are seasoned thru years of use.

I usually, though I know 1/2 dozen are going to tell me Im wrong are just wipe and bake
get the pan hot in the oven, wipe it down with olive oil and repeat a few times, may take a dozen times, but is is generally how I do it.
in a big kitchen, with a fryer, new cast iron is bought to 700 degrees and dropped into cold fryolators due a change and clean out.

Link Posted: 2/19/2011 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey Chef,

Got a good batter recipe for fish and chips?
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:
in a big kitchen, with a fryer, new cast iron is bought to 700 degrees and dropped into cold fryolators due a change and clean out.

Wholy Carp! I am surprised the oil doesn't flash ignite.
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By cutlass1972:

Ever try to get cold oil to burn...you could put out a campfire with it.

Link Posted: 2/20/2011 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Harvster:

Ever try to get cold oil to burn...you could put out a campfire with it.

pretty much, flash point on Cold cooking oil is pretty close to nil, heat it up to 600 degree F and throw a lit cigarette at it and jump back about 50'
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MEDIKEIGHTED:
oh rest assured Chef, your work here has not gone unnoticed.  I'm still reading through the old one or find myself referring to it when thinking about what I'd like to cook.  One lesson I've put to good use already has been your practice of brining and rinsing chicken.  Before I'd have thrown it out thinking it was bad even though it wasn't outdated yet.  After reading what you had to say about the blood being what goes bad I soaked a package of chicken breasts in saltwater (your ratio from the other thread....1TBSP: 3 quarts IIRC) and then a rinsing soak in fresh water for an hour or so.  They cooked up fine and tasted great.

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 4:30:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SR712] [#7]
Tamarind juice can be found in Asian Markets. At least here, it comes in an 8oz plastic cylinder and it is concentrated/condensed... NOT the juice drink. I use it in my Thai Chix Satay. You have to go look for yourself, because my experience is that the young and old employees of said Asian Market, don't know what tamarind is, and will just say, "No, we don't have it." That has happened to me many times. I don't even ask any more, and I usually find what I am looking for.... usually, haha.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SR712:
Tamarind juice can be found in Asian Markets. At least here, it comes in an 8oz plastic cylinder and it is concentrated/condensed... NOT the juice drink. I use it in my Thai Chix Satay. You have to go look for yourself, because my experience is that the young and old employees of said Asian Market, don't know what tamarind is, and will just say, "No, we don't have it." That has happened to me many times. I don't even ask any more, and I usually find what I am looking for.... usually, haha.

Thanks.

Now a follow up to my follow up question:

Is there any dish worth making that justifies paying $150 per ounce for Spanish Superior Grade Saffron?

http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/spanish-superior-grade-saffron

I know a guy from back in the day that doesn't charge that much for an ounce of something that fills up a whole baggie.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#9]

yeah but you can probably make more than just brownies with the Saffron.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:02:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cutlass1972] [#10]
Originally Posted By Afterwork_Ninja:

Is there any dish worth making that justifies paying $150 per ounce for Spanish Superior Grade Saffron?

Saffron really isnt that expensive, when you take in account how pungent it is. it takes SO LITTLE to go SO FAR.

I love saffron desert dishes, I have used this recipe with some artistic license with some pretty incredible results.
saffron rice pudding
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Chef, I have a peacock in the fridge, Any suggestions? I am thinking about braising it with a marsala and mushroom sauce, or I could use a bottle of prosecco??? I am at a loss here.
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 7:17:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#12]
Originally Posted By billyhill:
Chef, I have a peacock in the fridge, Any suggestions? I am thinking about braising it with a marsala and mushroom sauce, or I could use a bottle of prosecco??? I am at a loss here.

Peacock is a dark, sweet, juicy meat similar to duck but far less fatty.
I would recommend "barding" IE wrapping bacon or rubbing/injecting with butter or olive oil.

Roasting or braising will bring out its unique and delicate flavor; do not overcook peafowl as it totally destroys the delicate flavor and drys the bird out quickly.
A good herbal pairing would be a good oiled rub with "herbs du provence American", or simply, fresh rosemary and a bit of thyme.

Roasted or braised root vegetables or squashes are  good sides,    

you can also use several of the duck recipes and some Indian/Asian fowl recipes takes well to peacock as well but keep in mind there is far less fat in the land locked bird.

Peacock can also be cooked with a forcemeat(stuffing) as you would cook a stuffed, roasted turkey,(I advise against stuffed,roasted birds)

When roasting, around 350 degree at 20 min per pound would be a good guide.

Herbs d Provence is a reasonably new "blend" that showed up in the 1970's in the attempt to give a standardized flavor profile representing the Provence region of France.
it is a mix of dried herbs from the region, in the USA we added a bit of lavender to increase the bouquet of the standard herb blend..

Ingredients
   * 2 tablespoons dried lavender
   * 2 tablespoons dried savory
   * 2 tablespoons dried rosemary
   * 2 tablespoons dried thyme
   * 2 tablespoons dried oregano
   * 2 tablespoons dried basil
   * 2 tablespoons dried marjoram
   * 2 tablespoons dried fennel seed

Directions

In a small mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients together. Store in an air-tight container.

Here is a recipe from around 60 years ago..Peacock hasnt been a staple in AmeriEuro kitchens since probably the 1700's, I recall reading a recipe a while ago from the 1500's but couldn't see where the end result was edible

Roast  Peacock

Stuff the peacock with forcemeat.
Tie it for roasting and roast  350° F.for about 20 minutes per pound, or until well browned and tender, basting frequently with melted butter.
Serve hot with pan gravy or cold with chopped jelly (think they are implying a chilled consume, it was a common side once upon a time)and cold sauce poivrade.

Forcemeat, soak 1 pound of bread crumbs in milk and press out the moisture. Combine it with 1 pound of chopped beef marrow, the peacock liver, finely chopped, 10 shallots or 1 onion, chopped and saute'd in butter until tender, 1 tablespoon each chopped green celery leaf and parsley, and a little sage, marjoram, and thyme. Season with cayenne, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste.(this SHOULD be cooked separately in it's own pan but as we have learned about cross contamination and improper temps are problematic, your call)

Sauce Poivrade

To 6 tablespoons olive oil in a saucepan, add 1 carrot and 1 onion, both diced, and cook until they are golden-brown. Add 1/2 cup flour, mix together, and cook until the flour turns golden-brown. Add 3 cups brown stock or double-strength beef consomme (beef tea and beef consomme were widely used into the 70's but the salt content is HORRIBLE) and 1 cup tomato purée, mix well with a whip, and cook, stirring until well blended. Add 3 or 4 sprigs of parsley, 1 bay leaf, and a little thyme. If any bones of the game are available, brown them well in the oven and add them. Cook for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally and skimming as needed.

Put 1/2 cup vinegar and 6 peppercorns, crushed, in a pan and cook until the liquid is reduced to about one third the original quantity. Strain the sauce into the reduced vinegar mixture and cook all together for about 30 minutes, skimming carefully as the fat rises. Add 1/2 cup red wine to finish the sauce.

hope that helps

CHEF
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By T1NMAN:
Chef!
Cant believe I overlooked this thread for so long!

Great reading combined with useful information.

Love the stories tacked to the answers...so enjoyable to read that I halfway wonder if you don't concoct them for our entertainment.

You should consider writing a book with the chapters starting with life adventures and characters followed by recipes.

I do think that you need to create a recipe that includes a pinch of gunpowder  

thank you,,and trust me the characters are as true as can be and several I have yet to mention
I have worked in a lot of places, at the height of my culinary career I ran 4 hotel kitchens for one company and consulted with another.
I have worked for another company for several years where I was the "fixer" and another company I was the take over guy etc..

been an adventure to say the least..and the stories the best I got out of it at times..

gun powder,,
matter of fact I have a couple, I will look them up they are in a book I have to remember what box its in or what wife may have it..

Link Posted: 2/13/2011 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By RN22lr:
Originally Posted By Feral:
Originally Posted By RN22lr:
<snip>

It helped but isn't tangy enough... too sweet.

What else do you have in your bag o' recipes?

Don't need the Chef to figure that one out: cut the sugar quantity and increase the vinegar.

you beat me to the punch there,
the preference is going to be tart/tangy V sweetness the variable is going to be the sugar/vinigar ratio..I would start cutting the sugar in 1/2 and tripling the Vinegar then modify from there

I did this before I posted but thought:  why reinvent the wheel??

ok,,tell me what you did and lets go from there..

Link Posted: 2/14/2011 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey Chef,

What are your favorite knives? Do you have a specific brand or do you just have what you like from multiple brands?

I have a couple shun knives which I am fond of but they have their deficiencies. I am thinking of getting a dedicated sushi knife, a chef friend of mine says he likes mac knives.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey Chef,

What are your favorite knives? Do you have a specific brand or do you just have what you like from multiple brands?

I have a couple shun knives which I am fond of but they have their deficiencies. I am thinking of getting a dedicated sushi knife, a chef friend of mine says he likes mac knives.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again.

We chopped up knives pretty good in the first thread
my consensus was and is, you buy the best you can afford, my favorites when I was working were Chinese cleavers from Dexter..my every day work knives were Henkels, OLD school Henkels, not the modern china crap today,,,
my retirement knives are Sabitier. IF I were buying/working today, I would buy al mar' or shun..

now, lets watch and see how many opinions pop up

Link Posted: 2/14/2011 11:13:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Re-tag.

Link Posted: 2/15/2011 11:33:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Chef, my wife and I had a dish in Rome, Italy that she still talks about and
I wanted to try my hand at making it for her.  HELP!

Potato Gnocchi with bleu cheese.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 9:50:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#19]
Originally Posted By houstonmedic:
Chef, my wife and I had a dish in Rome, Italy that she still talks about and
I wanted to try my hand at making it for her.  HELP!

Potato Gnocchi with bleu cheese.

Potato Gnocchi...with bleu cheese sauce I assume?

Gnocchi:
1 lbs. Idaho russet potatoes, cleaned and peeled.
2 qts. water
1.25 cups all purpose flour (may vary a bit due to moisture content of potato)
1 egg, extra large
1 pinch salt
6oz bacon, cooked, finely crumbled
6 whole chives, minced
1 Tsp. butter
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup olive oil, divided

Bleu Cheese Sauce:
1Tbsps. butter
1 Tbsps. all purpose flour
pinch salt
pinch paprika
pinch. ground black pepper
1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup crumbled bleu cheese Roquefort, Gorgonzola, Stilton etc

1. Boil the whole potatoes until they are soft (about 45 minutes). While still warm, peel and pass through vegetable mill onto clean non stick board( If you dont have "nylon' boards, wrap a cutting board with 2 layers of saran warp to get a "stick free" surface).

2. Bring fresh water to boil in a large pot. Set up ice bath with 6 cups ice and 6 cups water near boiling water.

3. Make well in center of potatoes and sprinkle all over with flour, using all the flour. Place egg and salt in center of well and using a fork, stir into flour and potatoes. Once egg is mixed in, fold in bacon and chives; bring dough together, kneading gently until a ball is formed. Knead gently another 4 minutes until ball is dry to touch.

4. Roll  ¾-inch diameter dowels and cut dowels into 1-inch long pieces, set on lightly flowered surface Press each gnocchi with the tines of a dinner fork,
   Drop these pieces into boiling water and cook until they float (about 1 minute).   As gnocchi float to top of boiling water, remove them to ice bath.      
  Continue until all have been cooked and cooled by sitting several minutes in bath then drain from ice and water. Toss with ½ cup olive oil and store covered in
  refrigerator up to 48 hours until ready to serve.

5. For service: Heat other ½ cup olive oil and butter in large sauté pan until butter starts to turn brown. Toss in gnocchi and sauté until gnocchis start to brown.
   Remove from pan onto plate, season with salt and pepper, serve with bleu cheese sauce.*

For Bleu cheese sauce: Melt butter; and slowly Stir in flour and seasonings cook a few minutes; as the roux gets a brownish tint and a very light Nutty smell then Gradually add milk, stirring until well mixed. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Cook for 5 minutes as you add the cheese. Stirring until smooth and well blended.

you can sub the chive and bacon with about anything, some oregano, garlic, mushrooms, pancetta, capacol, prosciutto just dice it fine and mix well.

hope that gets you close..
Chef

ETA to quicken up the cooking of the Gonnichi use a pasty bag and star tube and scissors, snipping them off over the water as you squeese them out of the tube
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Ever do any sous vide cooking?  I have been interested in it since I read about how long you can keep beef at the perfect doneness for hours.  Recently I acquired some high quality immersion circulating baths at an auction for a song.  After looking into it more I was unaware of the cult following for  this type of cooking. I am going to start experimenting soon.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Bravo chef, this sounds awesome!
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Chef,

Thank you for your Andouille recipe it is GREAT!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=19&t=643991

My only complaint is there is no perceivable heat at all. I wondered why you said "4 teaspoons of cayenne" instead of 2 tablespoons, could you have meant 4 tablespoons? I think next time I will go with 4 or 5 tablespoons myself.

Thank you again for your time!
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Ever do any sous vide cooking?  I have been interested in it since I read about how long you can keep beef at the perfect doneness for hours.  Recently I acquired some high quality immersion circulating baths at an auction for a song.  After looking into it more I was unaware of the cult following for  this type of cooking. I am going to start experimenting soon.

OH MAN! you are in for a whole new world of cooking! I love to vacuum pack some chicken breasts with a marinade (italian dressing is great) sous vide them until they are just right, get the smoker going with some hickory and let them smoke until they JUST get some good color, and serve. SO tender it is crazy.

Look into sous vide'ing some eggs, this and fish is where the method REALLY shines.

Say buddy, you would not want to part with one of those units would you? heh.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#24]

In.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#25]

OH MAN! you are in for a whole new world of cooking! I love to vacuum pack some chicken breasts with a marinade (italian dressing is great) sous vide them until they are just right, get the smoker going with some hickory and let them smoke until they JUST get some good color, and serve. SO tender it is crazy.

Look into sous vide'ing some eggs, this and fish is where the method REALLY shines.

Say buddy, you would not want to part with one of those units would you? heh.

ok you two go ahead and hash out TV Dinner Preparation and give us a report..

please

no really,

I am not a fan, and NO One will oonvince me reheated food is better than fresh. ever,
IF you are in a big banquet house, doing 1000's of dinner at a time, it is cost effective. it is NOT quality effective
but, thats just my opinion..

I truly would like to see some feedback.

CHEF
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 5:30:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#26]
Chef,

Thank you for your Andouille recipe it is GREAT!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=19&t=643991

My only complaint is there is no perceivable heat at all. I wondered why you said "4 teaspoons of cayenne" instead of 2 tablespoons, could you have meant 4 tablespoons? I think next time I will go with 4 or 5 tablespoons myself.

Thank you again for your time!

You are more than welcome!
Heat is a personal preference, do you want Heat or flavor, is the sausage flavorful with a bit of burn to the lip that fades quickly? then you have my Andouille..
IF you want heat, add Capsicum frutescens that will fix that..
either Tabasco  or Trappy's or Cajun Chef sauces work,,, if you want a lingering burn, use the Trappy's peppers, minced right out of the bottle...
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#27]

You are more than welcome!
Heat is a personal preference, do you want Heat or flavor, is the sausage flavorful with a bit of burn to the lip that fades quickly? then you have my Andouille..
IF you want heat, add Capsicum frutescens that will fix that..
either Tabasco  or Trappy's or Cajun Chef sauces work,,, if you want a lingering burn, use the Trappy's peppers, minced right out of the bottle...

No I am talking about no hint of heat. Maybe my cayenne is weak. I have let 5 other people sample it as well and no one else can taste any heat either. Trust me, I am not doubting your recipe at all, so it must be my cayenne.

I like a little heat, but I am not one of these people that will eat something that puts them in pain to prove something, so I dont think it is a matter of personal taste in heat.

Link Posted: 2/16/2011 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#28]
ost

loved that last thread

Link Posted: 3/31/2011 11:53:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Chef, pics are up. I ran out of time, so I bone out the breast, seared it, put it in the oven and made a marsala sauce like you taught me

Link
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By SR712:

Thanks.

Now a follow up to my follow up question:

http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/spanish-superior-grade-saffron

I know a guy from back in the day that doesn't charge that much for an ounce of something that fills up a whole baggie.  

Saffron,,one of the more ancient spices saw use in many other ways over the centuries..
Ancient Romans used to perfume their baths with saffron. Court ladies of Henry VIII's reign tinted their hair with saffron until the monarch forbade it;  In the 1400's, German dealers who were caught adulterating saffron were burned at the stake.
Saffron is found in many traditional recipes from Iran, Greece, Spain and Turkey and  Mediterranean port's of call

Pure saffron is made up of tiny, bright-red threads. The redder the saffron, the higher the quality. The ends of the threads should be a lighter orange-red color showing that it is not  a lower quality that has been tinted red to increase it's value.

Heat releases saffron's flavor and it needs to be steeped in hot water, broth, or even alcohol before being added to food.
Pre-soaking also allows the color to disperse throughout the food.
One teaspoon of saffron soaked in 3 teaspoons of liquid;  do not crush the threads and let the saffron soak for a minimum of two hours.
The mixture can be left soaking for as long as twelve hours,  The leaves should  double or triple their dry size.

though a WASTE of this valuable component, If you are in a hurry or have forgotten to soak the saffron, add 5 teaspoons of liquid for every teaspoon of saffron; let soak for 20 minutes. Using the back of a spoon or in a ceramic mortar, mash the threads so that a thick paste is formed. You can then add the paste to the dish when required.

When cooking with it,  "little saffron" will go a long way.

When determining how much saffron to use in cooking, remember that the saffron flavor will be stronger the second day. In general, just use a pinch in soups and stews that serve 4 to 6 people.
Saffron is especially good when used in cooking seafood dishes such as bouillabaisse and paella. It is also used in risotto and other rice dishes. Try adding some to your next beef stew or tomato-based sauce. A marinade for light flavored fish, add saffron threads, garlic, and thyme to vinegar and marinate fish for about 30 min.
Saffron is also used in bread and cake cooking.  

* If your recipe includes liquid (water, broth, or wine), use a little of it and pour over the saffron so you dont dilute the saffrons subtle flavor.
   * Turmeric may be substituted for the color properties,   not the flavor.
   *  DO NOT use wooden utensils when mixing saffron. Wood utensils tend to absorb saffron easily and you do not want to lose any at the cost of the product.

Though a whole lot cheaper. powdered saffron loses it flavor quickly and can easily be altered with less-expensive powders like turmeric and other flower pistel's.
If you are a serious saffron users, admirer, buying cheaper saffron won't save money in the long run, since more will be needed for the same flavor impact.

When substituting powdered saffron: use 1/2 the amount of powder as you would threads.
When storing Saffron, it is very sensitive to light and moisture. Store it in a container away from sunlight and damp and it will last for years.
It also absorbs other flavors and odors quickly.that the container you store it in is very clean and odor-free before using, preferably NEW and definitely sterile.

as far as your original question. it's your choice and your money.
there is NO true sub for saffron, if you want saffron rice on the cheap, use a bit of tumeric or yellow food coloring.

Shrimp Paella

1 to 1 1/2 pounds raw extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined*
Coarse salt
2 1/4 cups bottled clam juice or fish broth
3/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon crumbled thread saffron**
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup uncooked Spanish or Arborio Rice***
2 large tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons Spanish paprika
1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained (optional)
1 cup frozen peas
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (for garnish)
Lemon wedges

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sprinkle the shelled shrimp all over with coarse salt; let sit 15 minutes. NOTE: The salt helps bring back the briny taste of the sea that most seafood, especially frozen seafood, tends to lose.
In a large pan over medium-heat heat, heat the clam juice or fish broth, wine, and saffron; reduce heat to low and keep broth hot (not boiling).

Paella PanIn a large Paella Pan or heavy cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil.

Add onion and red bell pepper; stir to blend and cook 3 minutes or until slightly softened.

Remove pan from heat. Stir in garlic and rice and continue stirring until garlic is fragrant and the rice is evenly coated with oil, about 1 minute. NOTE: Coating the rice with the oil before adding liquid helps keep the rice grains to stay separated.

Stir in tomatoes, paprika, and salt.

Stir in hot clam/saffron broth mixture.

Return to heat, reduce heat to low, and simmer (stirring and rotating the pan occasionally) mixture 10 to 15 minutes or until rice is no longer soupy but sufficient liquid remains to continue cooking the rice in the oven.

Stir in shrimp, artichokes hearts, and peas

Transfer paella pan to the oven and cook, uncovered, about 15 to 20 minutes until the rice is almost al dente and until almost all liquid is absorb

Remove from oven, cover with aluminum foil, and let sit 5 to 10 minutes or until the rice is cooked to taste. NOTE: Paella must rest after being removed from the oven, during which time the final cooking takes place.

To serve, sprinkle with chopped parsley and arrange lemon wedges around the top of the paella. Serve immediately. To eat, sprinkle lemon juice over paella.

Mediterranean Mixed Seafood Platter
Ingredients

* 20 baby squid (tubes and tentacles), cleaned
   * 3 cups milk
   * 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
   * 8 cloves garlic, minced
   * 2 small onions, chopped
   * 2 large carrots, chopped
   * 2 tomatoes, chopped
   * 1 small fennel bulb, diced
   * 1/2 cup tomato paste
   * 1 cup dry white wine
   * 3 cups chicken stock
   * 1/2 bunch fresh parsley
   * 1/2 bunch fresh tarragon
   * 1/2 bunch fresh thyme
   * 2 bay leaves
   * 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
   * 1 tablespoon loosely packed saffron threads
   * 6 cloves garlic, minced
   * 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and cut into strips
   * 6 baby fennel bulbs, halved
   * 1/2 bunch fresh thyme, chopped
   * 10 fresh oysters in shells, well scrubbed
   * 20 littleneck clams
   * 20 fresh mussels
   * 6 (6 ounce) fillets fresh sea bass
   * salt and pepper to taste
   * 6 sprigs parsley, for garnish

Directions

1. Soak squid in milk for 1 to 5 hours; the longer the better. When the squid has finished soaking, strain, and discard the milk.
  2. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, onions, carrots, tomatoes, and diced fennel. Cook and stir until the vegetables soften, about 10 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, and cook an additional 10 minutes. Pour in wine, and increase heat to high. Once the mixture comes to a boil, add the chicken stock, parsley, tarragon, thyme, bay leaves, peppercorns, and saffron. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, and simmer until the liquid has reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 15 minutes. Strain out the liquid, and discard the solids.
  3. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add sun-dried tomatoes and fennel; cook for 2 minutes. Pour in the strained saffron broth and chopped thyme; increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Place oysters on top of the fennel, cover, and cook for 1 minute. Set the clams and mussels into the pot, cover, and cook until the shellfish begin to open, about 4 minutes. Stir in the drained squid, recover, and cook for 1 minute, just until the squid firms.
  4. While the shellfish are cooking, season the sea bass fillets with salt and pepper. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place fish into skillet, skin-side down. Cover, and cook until the skin is crispy and the flesh of the fish has firmed and is no longer translucent.
  5. Pour the fennel-seafood mixture onto a serving platter and place the sea bass fillets on top. Garnish with parsley sprigs and serve.

Khus Khus(Indian Dessert)
Ingredients

* 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
   * 3 tablespoons almonds
   * 1 tablespoon uncooked white rice
   * 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
   * 2 cups water
   * 1 cup grated jaggery (palm sugar)
   * 1 pinch saffron threads
   * 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom

Directions

1. Combine the almonds, poppy seeds, and rice in a bowl; pour enough water over the mixture to cover by about 1 inch. Allow to soak for 4 hours; drain.
  2. Grind the almond mixture with the coconut into a paste using a mortar and pestle.
  3. Stir the water and jaggery together in a saucepan until the jaggery dissolves into the water to make a syrup. Stir the paste into the syrup; add the saffron and cardamom to the mixture. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring continually; boil and stir until thick. Serve hot, warm, or cold, depending on your preference.

Risotto Milan
Ingredients

* 1 3/4 cups uncooked Arborio rice
   * 1/2 cup unsalted butter, divided
   * 1 1/2 quarts beef stock
   * 3 tablespoons beef marrow
   * 1 onion, thinly sliced
   * 1 teaspoon saffron powder
   * 3/4 cup dry white wine
   * salt to taste
   * 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. Melt half of the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Simmer the onion and beef marrow in the butter for about 10 minutes. When the onion is soft, remove the onion and marrow from the pan using a slotted spoon, and set aside. (I like to leave the onions in.)
  2. Saute the rice in the pan over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Stir constantly so the rice will not stick and burn. Stir in one ladle of beef stock, and keep stirring until it is mostly absorbed, ladling and stirring in more of the broth as well as the white wine in the same manner, until the rice is almost al dente. Stir in the saffron, remaining butter, and 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese. Turn off the heat, cover and let sit for 4 or 5 minutes.
  3. Serve as a bed for ossibuchi or by itself with as much of the remaining Parmesan cheese sprinkled over as you like.

Saffron Bread
Ingredients

* 1 1/2 cups milk
   * 1 cup butter
   * 1 cup white sugar
   * 2 teaspoons saffron
   * 1/2 cup hot water
   * 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
   * 2 eggs
   * 2 teaspoons salt
   * 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
   * 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
   * 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
   * 6 cups all-purpose flour

Directions

1. Heat the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat; add butter, sugar and stir until melted. Let cool until lukewarm. In a small bowl, soak the saffron in the hot water, let cool until lukewarm, drain and reserve the liquid.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the milk mixture with the reserved saffron water and eggs. Add the yeast and stir to dissolve. Add the salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, lemon zest and 4 cups of the flour; mix well. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
  3. Lightly oil a large mixing, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
  4. Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into three equal pieces, form into 14 inch long 'ropes'. Braid the 'ropes' together and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
  5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  6. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden brown and the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove to a wire rack and cool.

would I Pay $150 an ounce for personal use, no. but, I'm not head over heels for Saffron,
If I were running a 3 or 4 star operation, Hell Yeah..there are a hundred recipe uses for saffron if not more and the nuances found in this little flower pistil is well worth
the payback in that type of setting.

Chef

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 6:53:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Afterwork_Ninja] [#31]
Damn you Chef.  Now I have to buy some.

My mouth is watering over here.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:01:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Afterwork_Ninja] [#32]
I've got one more for you, I didn't see it in the other thread.  I see it hyped on Iron Chef America so much I am going to have to try it.

Duck Confit.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I've got one more for you, I didn't see it in the other thread.  I see it hyped on Iron Chef America so much I am going to have to try it.

Duck Confit.

ok, I know I ahve made this joke at least once...

do you know the hardest part of  the procedure in dressing a duck?

getting the little sailor suit off

Duck confit is a French dish made with the leg of the duck.
While it is made across France, it is seen as a speciality of Gascony. The confit is prepared in a centuries-old process of preservation that consists of salt curing a piece of meat (generally goose, duck, or pork) and then poaching it in its own fat.

To prepare a confit, the meat is rubbed with salt, garlic, and sometimes herbs such as thyme, then covered and refrigerated for up to 36 hours. Salt curing the meat acts as a preservative.

Prior to cooking, the spices are rinsed from the meat, which is then patted dry. The meat is placed in a cooking dish deep enough to contain the meat and the rendered fat, and placed in an oven at a low temperature (170 – 275 Fahrenheit/ 76 - 135 degrees Celsius).[1][2] The meat is slowly poached at least until cooked, or until meltingly tender, generally four to ten hours.

The meat and fat are then removed from the oven and left to cool. When cool, the meat can be transferred to a canning jar or other container and completely submerged in the fat. A sealed jar of duck confit may be kept in the refrigerator for up to six months, or several weeks if kept in a reusable plastic container. To maximize preservation if canning, the fat should top the meat by at least one inch. The cooking fat acts as both a seal and preservative and results in a very rich taste. Skipping the salt curing stage greatly reduces the shelf life of the confit.

Confit is also sold in cans, which can be kept for several years. The flavorful fat from the confit may also be used in many other ways, as a frying medium for sautéed vegetables (e.g., green beans and garlic, wild or cultivated mushrooms), savory toasts, scrambled eggs or omelets, and as an addition to shortcrust paste for tarts and quiches.

A classic recipe is to fry or grill the legs in a bit of the fat until they are well-browned and crisp, and use more of the fat to roast some potatoes and garlic as an accompaniment. or(( red cabbage slow-braised with apples and red wine( i like this with a sprinkling of Balsamic just prior to service).

Duck Confit Classic style
Ingredients

* 4 duck leg portions with thighs attached, excess fat trimmed and reserved (about 2 pounds)
   * 1 tablespoon plus 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
   * 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
   * 10 garlic cloves
   * 4 bay leaves
   * 4 sprigs fresh thyme
   * 1 1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns
   * 1/2 teaspoon table salt
   * 4 cups olive oil

Directions

Lay the leg portions on a platter, skin side down. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the kosher salt and black pepper. Place the garlic cloves, bay leaves, and sprigs of thyme on each of 2 leg portions. Lay the remaining 2 leg portions, flesh to flesh, on top. put the reserved fat from the ducks in the bottom of a glass or plastic container. Top with the sandwiched leg portions. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt. Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours.

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.

Remove the duck from the refrigerator. Remove the garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and duck fat and reserve. Rinse the duck with cool water, rubbing off some of the salt and pepper. Pat dry with paper towels.

Put the reserved garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and duck fat in the bottom of an enameled cast-iron pot. Sprinkle evenly with the peppercorns and salt. Lay the duck on top, skin side down. Add the olive oil. Cover and bake for 12 to 14 hours, or until the meat pulls away from the bone.

Remove the duck from the fat. Strain the fat and reserve. Pick the meat from the bones and place it in a stoneware container. Cover the meat with some of the strained fat, making a 1/4-inch layer. The duck confit can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one month.

The excess oil can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and used like butter for cooking. The tinge of duck taste in the oil is glorious and can be used  to roast potatoes, cook green beans, and pan fry veal, venison and game birds, GREAT with dove and quail,

CHEF
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 1:29:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
Made your pizza dough tonight.  By far the best pizza dough I've ever made.  I need some ideas for additions to it though.  What have you added?  Roasted garlic?  Parmesan cheese?

thank you, always appreciate feedback...

to be honest, just whats laying around the kitchen, same way I make my whole wheat.

fennel seeds, roasted garlic, oregano. basil, chopped fresh spinach. shredded cheese, etc..be creative..

water(milk, wine, beer) and salt are two things that will change the outcome solids, blended in at the final kneed will ad flavor and variety to the dough..

CHEF
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 9:44:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Harvster] [#36]
CHEF...what is your favorite sauce?  As in the best you ever had, either made by you or at a restaurant.  I'm a sauce junky.  If I go to a restaurant and there is a sauce on the table, I'll try it. I'll put it on crackers or bread or even just on a spoon or, on occasion, my grubby finger.  If I go to a Mexican place and they say they have 21 salsas, I try every dang one of them.  

Probably the best sauce I ever tried was on an oyster dish in Galveston.  The dish was called "Oysters Willie"  Grilled oysters on the half with this sweet buttery yellowy orange sauce.  I have no idea what was in it.  I can usually guess the ingredients of sauce pretty well, but this stuff was a mystery.  

Link Posted: 4/4/2011 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#37]
CHEF...what is your favorite sauce?  As in the best you ever had, either made by you or at a restaurant.  I'm a sauce junky.  If I go to a restaurant and there is a sauce on the table, I'll try it. I'll put it on crackers or bread or even just on a spoon or, on occasion, my grubby finger.  If I go to a Mexican place and they say they have 21 salsas, I try every dang one of them.  

Probably the best sauce I ever tried was on an oyster dish in Galveston.  The dish was called "Oysters Willie"  Grilled oysters on the half with this sweet buttery yellowy orange sauce.  I have no idea what was in it.  I can usually guess the ingredients of sauce pretty well, but this stuff was a mystery.    

honestly, I am not really a sauce guy thought I enjoy a good demi glaze on a prime rib MR and I enjoy a well made Fresh Hollandaise or Bearnaise sauce..I make knock out sauces, I was a saucier in a 4 star operation for a year or two before getting my own kitchen and was trained by a French Chef who was a disciple of Careme' who was the God of Sauces to the French culinarians I got a Silver in some competition for a sauce on a lamb dish some years ago..do not ask me to remember please..but as a whole my personal taste truly leans towards
fresh well seasoned meats, light salads and grilled/steamed veggies...

The restaurant you were in is Willies G's oyster bar, .sounds like you had a hollandaise on your oysters,,I looked at their menu and didnt see "oysters willie" but I didnt get my reading glasses out to peruse either..

Link Posted: 4/4/2011 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#38]

honestly, I am not really a sauce guy thought I enjoy a good demi glaze on a prime rib MR and I enjoy a well made Fresh Hollandaise or Bearnaise sauce..I make knock out sauces, I was a saucier in a 4 star operation for a year or two before getting my own kitchen and was trained by a French Chef who was a disciple of Careme' who was the God of Sauces to the French culinarians I got a Silver in some competition for a sauce on a lamb dish some years ago..do not ask me to remember please..but as a whole my personal taste truly leans towards

The restaurant you were in is Willies G's oyster bar, .sounds like you had a hollandaise on your oysters,,I looked at their menu and didnt see "oysters willie" but I didnt get my reading glasses out to peruse either..

It wasn't Willie G's.  Because we remember wondering where in the world the name "Oysters Willie" came from.  But maybe it was a copy of a dish served at Willie's at the time   And it may have been hollandaise based, but it was a deeper orange and sweeter (but not sugary sweet)  I think it had little chewy  bits of something that I could not identify.  Candied ginger perhaps that was cooked so long it lacked the outright ginger flavor is what I recall.   These days, that is what I use to determine what a memorable dish is for  me.  If I can't figure out what is in it, it gets extra points in my book.

Link Posted: 4/4/2011 5:14:27 PM EDT
[#39]

It wasn't Willie G's.  Because we remember wondering where in the world the name "Oysters Willie" came from.  But maybe it was a copy of a dish served at Willie's at the time   And it may have been hollandaise based, but it was a deeper orange and sweeter (but not sugary sweet)  I think it had little chewy  bits of something that I could not identify.  Candied ginger perhaps that was cooked so long it lacked the outright ginger flavor is what I recall.   These days, that is what I use to determine what a memorable dish is for  me.  If I can't figure out what is in it, it gets extra points in my book.

well, I tried I assumed and we both know what happens when we assume

..Hollandaise can be made with orange instead of lemon, candied orange rind or ginger would be fitting. I have made orange, cranberry, blueberry, and raspberry hollandaise for "special" Benedict , topping for desserts, different fish or vegetable dishes.
A stellar sauce can make a meal, of this there is no doubt. and a bad one turn you off even the "best" restaurant.
while typing this, I am recalling a pasta sauce at a well know Italian restaurant in Houston that was so scorched you could smell it before the waiter got to the table..

being a bit in my cups at the time, and out to impress some fluff I was on a date with..I picked up the plate, walked to the kitchen door and threw the platter of crap back where it belonged, grabbed Fluffy and stormed out...and never returned, even after a call of apology from the owner..

God I could be an ass..

Link Posted: 4/5/2011 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#40]
A stellar sauce can make a meal, of this there is no doubt. and a bad one turn you off even the "best" restaurant.
while typing this, I am recalling a pasta sauce at a well know Italian restaurant in Houston that was so scorched you could smell it before the waiter got to the table..

being a bit in my cups at the time, and out to impress some fluff I was on a date with..I picked up the plate, walked to the kitchen door and threw the platter of crap back where it belonged, grabbed Fluffy and stormed out...and never returned, even after a call of apology from the owner..

God I could be an ass..

But it does make for a great story.    Although the worst part may be that when this scenario plays out in my head, I see the Swedish Chef from your avatar doing it.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#41]

God I could be an ass..

But it does make for a great story.    Although the worst part may be that when this scenario plays out in my head, I see the Swedish Chef from your avatar doing it.  

actually, I kind of favor him, though I keep it high and tight

red hair
mustache
nose
attitude,,,

yep!
CHEF

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By goatkisser:

Oh great and powerful Chef.... Unless I missed it in the index, I cannot find a Lasagna recipe....

#1 son wants to cook on Tuesday night and wants a recipe from "That AR Cooking dude"....

Thanks in advance..

"Dude" Chef is old school, we'd rather call him Maestro

Much thanks for all the valuable info again, Chef. I've became a better cook with all the help I got here.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By 36_gauge:

Originally Posted By goatkisser:
Oh great and powerful Chef.... Unless I missed it in the index, I cannot find a Lasagna recipe....

#1 son wants to cook on Tuesday night and wants a recipe from "That AR Cooking dude"....

Thanks in advance..

"Dude" Chef is old school, we'd rather call him Maestro  

Much thanks for all the valuable info again, Chef. I've became a better cook with all the help I got here.

thank you, and you are welcome, glad to hear always that someone got something good from my work...

CHEF
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#45]
oh rest assured Chef, your work here has not gone unnoticed.  I'm still reading through the old one or find myself referring to it when thinking about what I'd like to cook.  One lesson I've put to good use already has been your practice of brining and rinsing chicken.  Before I'd have thrown it out thinking it was bad even though it wasn't outdated yet.  After reading what you had to say about the blood being what goes bad I soaked a package of chicken breasts in saltwater (your ratio from the other thread....1TBSP: 3 quarts IIRC) and then a rinsing soak in fresh water for an hour or so.  They cooked up fine and tasted great.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Just a quick question. I have always preferred to use the griddle pads to clean a flattop but the place I'm working at now insists on using grill bricks. How long do the bricks usually last you? I'm getting a week and a half or two weeks out of them, cleaning the grill once a day at the end of service. Does that seem about right?
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 6:51:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#47]
Originally Posted By LDL7071:
Just a quick question. I have always preferred to use the griddle pads to clean a flattop but the place I'm working at now insists on using grill bricks. How long do the bricks usually last you? I'm getting a week and a half or two weeks out of them, cleaning the grill once a day at the end of service. Does that seem about right?

week to 10 days seems about right, or when they stink so bad you can't stand to use them..

never really measured usage..
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 3:12:54 AM EDT
[#48]
that bread looks delicious
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#49]
that bread looks delicious

thank you,

was not feeling the love...

Link Posted: 4/17/2011 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Chef, what do you find to be the easiest and bestest way to cook rabbit?
Page / 39
ASK THE CHEF Part DEAUX (Page 2 of 39)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top