Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/28/2005 11:29:55 AM EDT
Now available at WalMart for $3.49 or somesuch lowball price.

I've never "gotten" the movie. And I've rented it 5 or 6 times in all these years. But even I couldn't pass up this price.

Also got "The Last Boy Scout" with Bruce Willis from the same bin. Only problem with it is I can't figure out how to turn off the subtitles. English with english subtitles. But it was cheap enough.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#1]
whats there to get? What is better than a movie based on its own story instead of some secret special hidden meaning?

I bet there WAS a hidden meaning from the writer, but fuck it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe "get" is the wrong word, but the movie has never excited me like it has so many others. I guess that's the part I don't "get". I usually like the "cult classics."
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#3]
"It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? "

ETA:

"He says you BRADE RUNNER!"
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#4]
"I want more life, fucker!"
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#5]
"I have seen things you would not believe...

I have seen attack ships on fire off of Orions shoulder...

I have seen seabeems glittering near the Tannhauser Gate....

All these moments will be lost, like tears in the rain....."

Best line ever IMHO.....very sad when you think about it...very appropo to current things, ie WWII vets dying every day. The things they saw, their memories go with them, unless someone records them....

Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:09:28 AM EDT
[#6]
"Wake up!  Time to die..."

ETA:  yeah I picked it up at chinamart the other day too.  had been meaning to add it to my collection and saw it in the cheapie-bin w00t!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Best line ever IMHO.....very sad when you think about it...very appropo to current things, ie WWII vets dying every day. The things they saw, their memories go with them, unless someone records them....

and...
a candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long...  
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:41:23 AM EDT
[#8]
"So, tell me about your mother..."
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 8:02:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Couple of worthless points of trivia...

In Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, (in the computer-generated metropolis of Coruscant scene), you will find the use of Blade Runner's police spinners in the film.

AND!!!

In Blade Runner, you will find the Millenium Falcon used as a building in the background. The first time it appears is in the scene just after Leon has shot Holden at the beginning of the film. A spinner is flying towards the viewer. It passes a large lighted advertising billboard, which is on the right side of the screen. To the left you can see the Falcon/building.

It is difficult to make-out the outline of the ship because of the darkness of the film, but it is well documented.

Link Posted: 11/29/2005 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#10]

v
v
v
v
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#11]
classic
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#12]
DIRECTORS CUT ONLY!!

Almost a different movie without that ridiculous voice-over.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 5:36:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yup, that really is what the movie was about.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Is there a place to buy the original version?  I have the directors cut, but occaisionally I like the happier -ending, voiced over version, and I can never seem to find it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DIRECTORS CUT ONLY!!

But the question is, would you have understood the movie without the V/O without having seen the original.
I agree the director's cut is better, but I doubt I could have followed the movie without having seen the original.

I followed it quite easily, but Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is a favorite book of mine.  It's quite different from Blade Runner in a lot of aspects, and a whole lot more detailed.  It provides a lot more insight into little comments like about if the owl was artificial, etc....

I still haven't seen the original movie.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and...
a candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long...  

And you have burned so brightly, Roy.

...or..theres a turtle on its back baking in the sun....you're not helping it...why aren't you helping it...

Those were the weirdest fat cigarettes...or maybe they weren't cigarettes...
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Director's cut is the way to go, I love that movie.

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life, anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I like Deckard's gun. That thing is cool as hell. One of these days I want to get a replica of it.

One of the many reasons I hate Daryl Hannah.

Great movie, but I kind of know what you mean. I like it, but when I first saw it my reaction was, "that's it? What's all the hype about?"
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
whats there to get? What is better than a movie based on its own story instead of some secret special hidden meaning?

I bet there WAS a hidden meaning from the writer, but fuck it.

Deckard is a replicant.... that's the hidden meaning.

ANdy

At least in the director's cut, it's pretty obvious.  The origami unicorn after the dream with the unicorn was not a coincidence, it was most definitely a message.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:49:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
DIRECTORS CUT ONLY!!

Horse Hockey......You've been sold on that opinion(your age is showing).
The original version set the standard. "Bryant is the kinda cop used to call some men niggers". " I didn't have to worry about Gaff, he was bucking for promotion...he wouldn't mind seeing me fail".

At the very least we should have the choice about which version we watch on dvd but NOOOOOO......they'll come out with that option later so they can milk us for more cash......bastards!
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I have always thought it was one of the coolest sounding titles of a movie ever
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
"So, tell me all the good things you remember about your mother..."

Fixed it.

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, that really is what the movie was about.

Indeed as if it were hidden.

Another thing that I in retro-spect find fascinating was the short conversation that Roy had with Tyrell about re-sequencing or DNA and how the results of recent cloning experiments have born that out.

For example, if you clone a dog using the DNA from a six year old dog the clone matures to adult-hood at a normal rate but then it ages at an excellerated rate and eventually dies long before what is considered to be the normal life span of a dog.

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#28]
(thick nasal German accent): "Vatch her as she takes the pleasures...from the serpant that once...tempted man..."

"Eyes..I just do eyes"

"Gosh! You sure do have a lot of nice toys!"

"The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long...and you have burned so very bright, Roy"

"Yeah, he breathes just fine, as long as you don't un-plug him"

"A wonderful life awaits you in the Off-World colonies! You're chance to begin again in a land of luxury and opportunity!"

"Time to die"

# Dekker sits at the piano and dreams of a Unicorn

# Gaff leaves an origami unicorn at the doorstep

Yeah, Dekk's a skin job.

Best...movie...evar!

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 3:42:00 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
For example, if you clone a dog using the DNA from a six year old dog the clone matures to adult-hood at a normal rate but then it ages at an excellerated rate and eventually dies long before what is considered to be the normal life span of a dog.

That's not true, is it?
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 8:10:27 AM EDT
[#30]
The Deckard being a replicant thing makes no sense unless the entire police department knew about him and he was reprogrammed.

So Gaff is a replicant… and Deckard is a replicant… and Gaff knows Deckard is a replicant… but Deckard doesn't know that he and Gaff are both Replicants. Uh huh. Sounds like the replicant thing was an afterthought, kinda like all of the crap George Lucas has loaded the original Star Wars trilogy down with.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 8:20:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 8:30:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Deckard being a replicant thing makes no sense unless the entire police department knew about him and he was reprogrammed.

And why was it all the other replicants could beat his ass?
Ridley Scott can be all cutesy if he wants, but replicants were so superior it would be obvious if deckard was one.
Can't have it both ways.
Weak human pussy, but we will throw in a unicorn and make him a replicant.

+1 I've wondered why he had no tolerance for pain and had no super human strength unlike all of the other replicants. So he was a weaker replicant employed by humans and programmed to kill much stronger ones because humans don't trust replicants? Yeah right. It just doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#33]
If Deckard was a replicant then he was obviously an earlier model than the then-new and inherently quirky Nexus 6. Perhaps the older Nexus were more stable, if physically weaker, and worked alongside humans as a matter of course, self-aware or not.

Doesn't really matter to me because I enjoy the movie on its own terms without having to dissect it. I also like the theatrical release's voice-overs, although not more than the Director's Cut. Having them both (a la Terry Gilliam's superb "Brazil" DVD set) would be ideal.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Ohhh, one thing I don't think anyone has mentioned was Vangelis' awesome music....really completed the vision. One of the best soundtracks ever!
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Deckard a replicant....

Think along the lines of Rachel, Tyrell was developing them to become more and more like a human  and less and less able to realise they are replicants.

ANdy

But the thing is, deckard wasn't new.
He'd been around (or his human model had been around, kidnapped, killed in secret and deckard his replacement.)
The big advance of the Nexus 6 was their intellect (as I remember).

It just doesn't add up.

Ah but remember, Rachel was not a Nexus 6, she was one of Tyrells 'experiments'. As I see it, the subplot is that while publically the Tyrell Corporation was developing conventional replicants, Tyrell himself was playing at God and trying to create 'real' humans.

ANdy

yes, definitely a Faustian element to it
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#39]
You know, I'll have to watch it again, but I thought it was intimated that Rachel was the "missing" replicant that needed to be retired....

Well, I guess the only answer is to watch it again and again....but if I must, I must....
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not true, is it?

Yes it is.

And just so you guys know. The book, Do Androids Dream of Electric sheep was written by Phillip K. Dick and Deckard is not a replicant.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DIRECTORS CUT ONLY!!

Horse Hockey......You've been sold on that opinion(your age is showing).
The original version set the standard. "Bryant is the kinda cop used to call some men niggers". " I didn't have to worry about Gaff, he was bucking for promotion...he wouldn't mind seeing me fail".

At the very least we should have the choice about which version we watch on dvd but NOOOOOO......they'll come out with that option later so they can milk us for more cash......bastards!

Sold that by WHOM?    I came to that conclusion on my own, after seeing both versions.

Nobody sold me skippy.

BTW - what age do you  think I am showing?
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Deckard is a replicant - with just enough strength and stamina to be good at hunting and killing replicants, but not enough to make humans suspect him.

He wasn't an older model, he was a newer, better model.  Commissioned by .gov probably, or Tyrell Corp, to aid in fighting the replicant issue.

He was kept a secret, even from himself, for security reasons - NO replicants allowed on earth

AFAS making Deckard stronger, faster, better - WHY?   He ALWAYS got the job done.    Sometimes, enough is enough.

You don't panic the sheeple with a MORE DANGEROUS KILLER replicant........
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not true, is it?

Yes it is.

And just so you guys know. The book, Do Androids Dream of Electric sheep was written by Phillip K. Dick and Deckard is not a replicant.

Blade Runner was 'inspired' by the book but was not a film version of it.....
ANdy

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is the Novel from which the screenplay was derrived.

One of Phillip K. Dicks short stories, "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale" was the inspiration for Total Recall.

Another of his short stories was the inspiration for the movie Mintority Report.

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Deckard is a replicant - with just enough strength and stamina to be good at hunting and killing replicants, but not enough to make humans suspect him.

He wasn't an older model, he was a newer, better model.  Commissioned by .gov probably, or Tyrell Corp, to aid in fighting the replicant issue.

He was kept a secret, even from himself, for security reasons - NO replicants allowed on earth

AFAS making Deckard stronger, faster, better - WHY?   He ALWAYS got the job done.    Sometimes, enough is enough.

Best explanation yet....  add to that the possibility that Decker's memories of his "past service" were not all real, and he could have very well been a tool created by Tyrell and the gov to fight the possibly returning androids.

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Slow down Conan.  Read the book.

Blade Runner was not a biography of Rick Deckard.  Deckard is not a "skin job".

Captain Bryant to Deckard "Stop right there pal.  You're not cop, you're little people."

Roy to Deckard, "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.........."

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:40:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top