Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Rippetoe's 3x5 (Page 4 of 13)
Page / 13
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 6:41:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VTHOKIESHOOTER] [#1]
New personal record on the military press 110# .  I'll be back at it on Friday.  I will only be able to workout a couple times next week.  They are closing the gym for 5 days for a stupid home show.

Last night I tried the pendlay rows  for the first time instead of the usual bent rows.  My god, what a killer!  Worked out my calves and my glutes trying to keep my balance.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:

Thought  those were just more of rehab ideas not a longterm strengthening guide.

Well those rehab exercises are the start to strengthening the area.  Have to go through those first. Then....

Get hooked up to a low row cable machine where you have to sit to use it and put a strap on the hook and around you ankle.  Then start doing 2-3 sets of 10-15 reps of leg adductions and abductions.  This helps me when I feel like my groin is feeling tweaked a little.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 10:22:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AGW] [#3]
Ahhhh the smell/chemical burn (that we all know and love) ...of Tiger Balm.  I'm on a full day off here and I'm having a great deal of trouble resisting the urge to scratch my nuts.

Anyway, I went on Wednesday and did some dips and bar work to practice my form.  Did some OH squats just to turn some heads, too.  I've kept up my running and had some amazing sprints yesterday.  I was the fastest motherfucker there.  I was unbeatable.  I was alone.

ETA: Oats and choco milk is delicious.
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Lifted today.  Did some sumo squats with lightweight.  Groin is feeling fine.  

I was pretty weak today I think I have hit the over training mark again.  And, as luck would have it, the gym is closed t his week for the home show.  I'll be back at it in a week.

I'll rest for a few days and do some running this week instead.
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 11:34:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I was wondering how long it would take for you guys to hit this point.
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 11:42:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By 007Kevin:
It is pretty grueling.  Been at lifting now for close to a year.  I know when to hang the hat for a while and rest up.

Right now I have no stamina or endurance.  I'll rest up for a week and come back stronger.
Link Posted: 3/10/2008 12:47:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Since 4 weeks is the standard cycle, this didn't come as a surprise.
Link Posted: 3/10/2008 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#8]

It is pretty grueling.  Been at lifting now for close to a year.  I know when to hang the hat for a while and rest up.

Right now I have no stamina or endurance.  I'll rest up for a week and come back stronger.

If you've been lifting for a year for the most part continuously you should take a month off.  I dont' know how highly trained of an athlete you are but highly trained athletes take a few weeks if not a month off before the start for the next season.  If anything they change up what they are doing and have a long precise progression though.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2008 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By AGW:

Since 4 weeks is the standard cycle, this didn't come as a surprise.

Well given your program true, but I think it could utilize a little better recovery system as to not have weeks off to rest.  Specifically, an unloading week.  After only four weeks you shouldn't be this wornout or suffering from chronic injuries.
Link Posted: 3/10/2008 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#10]

After only four weeks you shouldn't be this wornout or suffering from chronic injuries.

Since I'm not suffering from any injuries, you must be referring to Drakich and Hokie.  I would guess that their improving form is the cause of their pain.  Such a thing comes as no surprise to me since they've got nothing more than determination and some guidance.

Squatting 3x, DLing 2x, and BP 2x weekly for 4 weeks is, most definintely, sufficient for a reset.  I've not suffered a single injury, but because I did not use the 5th week as it was intended (the beggining of a reset cycle, not a deload), I backed off and will begin my reset this afternoon.  

Start your own 3x5, push your limits with perfect form, and get back to me on week 4.
Link Posted: 3/10/2008 3:16:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 007Kevin] [#11]
I do a 3x5 as part of my training.  Cept I squat, DL, and olympic 3x a week varying intensities through out.  Feel fine by week 4 usually but I put in an unloading week anyway to not over train and come back even better.  

I suspect this week will feel great for you AGW since you backed off last week.

I avoid any snude comment.
Link Posted: 3/10/2008 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#12]

I do a 3x5 as part of my training.  Cept I squat, DL, and olympic 3x a week varying intensities through out.  Feel fine by week 4 usually but I put in an unloading week anyway to not over train and come back even better.  

I suspect this week will feel great for you AGW since you backed off last week.

I avoid any snude comment.

That's the way.  It's easy for us to armchair quarterback each other, as what works for me, may or may not work for you, or place undue stress on your body in different ways than mine.  I'm pretty convinced this Rippetoe method would overtrain me, as I'm prone to overtraining and recoup a little slower than I used to.   I like reading about your methods and I look closely for ideas that I can incorporate into my training in the future.  Right now I'm fortunate to have a knowledgeable trainer punish me.  He's got me pretty much figured out now, knows my strengths and weaknessess and uses them for and against me.  I saw the conversation getting a little terse the last few posts, but looks like we'll be back on track - and that's refreshing.  Keep at it fella's - I'm looking forward to seeing your progress and hearing about your experience. - Shark
Link Posted: 3/10/2008 9:32:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 007Kevin] [#13]
I'm not armchairing anything really.  I've seen athletes thrive off this type of training I'm talking about.  To some extent YES, what works for one person may not work for another.  But there are still underlying principles that apply.

This is my education, job and one of my passions but apart from that I've gotten to apply the knowledge to myself and others.  Alot has changed over the past decade in health and fitness.
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 12:57:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Update for me...

Brought low by some sort of bug.  Been running a fever (2-3 degrees over my normal, which wipes me out).  Sleeping a lot.  Normally I get about 6-7 hours of sleep a day.  Last night I slept 11 hours, and took an hour and half nap later today.

Tried working out Saturday, but had to abort.  One of the lymph nodes in my neck is sore as hell, and once I started to get my blood pumping it started to feel like I was getting punched in the neck every time I had a heart beat.

Link Posted: 3/11/2008 7:21:23 AM EDT
[#15]
My body type is more ectomorph than anything.  I am pretty sure it makes me susceptible to over training.  Over the years I have found that if I push my body, it will punish me back, with the end result being extreme fatigue or getting sick.

The first day I went into the gym in April, I remember putting on two 10# plates and 2 5#'ers thinking "oh this should be a good warm up weight", after my 6th rep the sweat already started beeding out and the arms felt like they were on fire.  That same day I went to the pullup bar and ended up just hanging there unable to move, so I dropped down tried to play it off as a stretch.

Honestly, the best improvements have come in the past 6th months, thanks to you guys for injecting me with y'all wisdom on routines, form and nutrition.
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#16]

I'm not armchairing anything really.  I've seen athletes thrive off this type of training I'm talking about.  To some extent YES, what works for one person may not work for another.  But there are still underlying principles that apply.

This is my education, job and one of my passions but apart from that I've gotten to apply the knowledge to myself and others.  Alot has changed over the past decade in health and fitness.

Wasn't sugessting you specifically where QB'ing, rather that it's easy for all of us to do it, with our different beliefs & experience.  Obviously I'm going to lean toward Weststde principles.
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Starting out is always rough.  Squats used to do that to me until I started what I'm doing now.
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#18]

My body type is more ectomorph than anything.  I am pretty sure it makes me susceptible to over training.  Over the years I have found that if I push my body, it will punish me back, with the end result being extreme fatigue or getting sick.

The first day I went into the gym in April, I remember putting on two 10# plates and 2 5#'ers thinking "oh this should be a good warm up weight", after my 6th rep the sweat already started beeding out and the arms felt like they were on fire.  That same day I went to the pullup bar and ended up just hanging there unable to move, so I dropped down tried to play it off as a stretch.

Honestly, the best improvements have come in the past 6th months, thanks to you guys for injecting me with y'all wisdom on routines, form and nutrition.

That's quick thinking - nice save!
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#19]
03/17 - I've been sick as a dog.  I made my triumphant return to the rack last Monday, but then couldn't make it on Wed or Fri unless I wanted to get caught under the bar in a sneeze or cough.

Fast-forward to today... Workout A.  Sqwwaaattts wur awesome.  I carried over the weight from last Monday to be safe.  Bench was so-so.  I pushed a 4-3-3, still (barely) sub-300lbs.  
DLs were a little disappointing too.  I warmed-up to 395 and pulled it once, but couldn't pull anything after that.  I would keep setting up, squeezing, and not moving.  Just wasn't in the cards for me today.
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I was in action last night as well.  The groin muscle is completely healed.  I went easy on the squats though, did my 5 reps at 80% max.  

My bench has improved, I seem to be able to make it past previous sticking points.  I am a dipping machine as well.

I failed on my 4th DL rep as my form broke down right in the middle of pulling it up I felt my back round.

Other than that it felt good to back at it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2008 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Exceptional workout today.  My squats left little to be desired, although I had a scare during my first work set.  The instant I hit the bottom of the hole, my left hip popped!  No pain, just one of the clicks you usually hear from me (ligament slipping over bone or something), but under a load, I'm glad I didn't pee from the surprise.

Someone stole the rack after that, so I power-cleaned the bar for all my OH presses, pulled some strong rows, did some dips, and ate a fucking burger.

Guess what else?  The better half unit starts spring break tomorrow (teacher), so I'm finally getting to sleep in.
Link Posted: 3/19/2008 11:46:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I suppose that fucking burger is going to give you an appetite for some goddamn bacon after you sleep in tomorrow.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2008 1:15:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By mmm_horsemeat:
I suppose that fucking burger is going to give you an appetite for some goddamn bacon after you sleep in tomorrow.  

I keep gosh darn kosher.
Link Posted: 3/20/2008 1:51:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Maybe a real mother fucker of a bagel with lox then?
Link Posted: 3/20/2008 7:01:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VTHOKIESHOOTER] [#25]
My squats sucked last night, however my military press rocked again.  Add another 5# and a new 5rep PR.  My Pendlay rows also saw added weight.

Looking in the mirror, my shoulders and back muscles are really begging to pop out.  Gained 5lbs in weight in the past month as well.

In other news it was raining cats and dogs at the gym so I sprinted across the parking lot, wouldn't y'all know it, I pulled my groin muscle again.  Iced it all night.  Will probably skip squats tomorrow and do adductions on the cable machine instead.  Tomorrow I will also be adding weight to the bench press.  I am getting close to doing 5 reps at my previous record as well.

Link Posted: 3/20/2008 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Maybe a real mother fucker of a bagel with lox then?

I actually had an everything bagel about an hour ago.  Not a real mofo without all the fixins, though.  I'll make up for it with a real bitch of a 1/4 hot dog.

In other news it was raining cats and dogs at the gym so I sprinted across the parking lot, wouldn't y'all know it, I pulled my groin muscle again.

Dude, quit sprinting wrong!
Link Posted: 3/22/2008 10:11:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VTHOKIESHOOTER] [#27]
I had a great workout last night!  Instead of squats I did some adductions by squeezing one of those workout balls with my knees.  DL's were lack luster but my bench press was awesome, particularly my last set.  

My first 2 sets I pussed out and didn't go after the 5th rep (gym was empty and I had no one to spot) on my 3rd rep I decided to go ahead and go after the 5th rep and if I got stuck I would just ditch it.  It took all the physical and mental strength to get that damn thing up but I did.  Next week, depending how strong I feel I might be adding 5# to my bench which puts me within 5# of my 2rep PR that I left off of back in January.

Dips kicked ass as well.  Had a 24# strapped on and I was able to get up without nary a problem.

Finished out the night doing a variety of weighted situps and leg lifts.
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Day 1, week 8, workout B.  I managed to tighten my squats up a bit bringing my grip even closer.  I tend to lose the tightness in my shoulder blades when I'm concentrating, so that helped keep me honest.

I also forced myself to "lead" with my elbows in the OH presses to get some momentum behind the bar.  That seemed to work only for the first 3 reps of each set.  My rows were challenging... they would start out strong but I come up an inch short of my chest in the last 2-3 reps each time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#29]
At it again last night as well with workout B, did some light squat work as I am still nursing the groin pull.  In fact I have been working on the adducter now just about every day.  The wife has a workout ball and I have been squeezing it with the knees then icing everything down.

Needless to say most of my workout last night wasn't all that great.  I didn't get much sleep the night before, ran out of eggs for breakfast and forgot my lunch and water rations.  I did manage one good set of shoulder presses with 5# more weight again, but on my second set I couldn't manage 2 so I took the 2 2.5# plates off and banged out 5 reps at the lower weight.  My rows sucked and my pullups sucked even worse.  I realized that on my pullups that I am very, very much favoring my strong (right side).  After I realized what I was doing I  quit and went to the lat machine and did one armed pull downs each side.

Finished up on a high note with some viciously nasty ab work that turned some  heads.  Needless to say I woke up this morning hungry and tired as hell.  I already am  looking forward to bed time to night. 13 more hours to go.
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm in the under-rest boat as well.  I started squatting 60% or so this week for a form evaluation, so not much to speak of there, but I pulled big again.

395 at 160, so 2.46875xBW.

I managed that for two reps before dropping 5# to finish out.  I couldn't psyche myself up for my last rep until I stepped back, remembered the biblical "grip it n rip it" mantra, and yanked.

My right lat hurts a little.
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Well today I was feeling like shit, dead beat tired but I still had a great workout.  Squats were ho-hum, my bench press was kick ass again, as were my dips.  DL's were also mediocre  as well however I chalk the blame for that to the chick with the fabulous ta-tas who was doing bent rows with her tight ass stuck way high in the air.

Sleepy time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2008 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Here is my progression from the starting point to last night's date.  Some of the starting weights were set artificially low so I could get used to the routine.

starting      current
Squat                   125             170
Bench                   140              175
DL                        145            205
Dips                  body weight    +35# plate
Shoulder press       75               110
rows                     130             155
pullups                  5/4/3           8/6/5

I wish my squat would improve more.  I might just squat on Mon's and Fri's and see if that might help in case I am over training them, which is highly likely.
Link Posted: 3/29/2008 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#33]
I skipped my workout last night.  It has been another ball buster week and I was beat.  I crawled into bed at 5:30 and didn't wake up until 8.

I have also developed some neck/throat soreness.  It seems relegated to the left and right side of my Adams apple.  I believe it is due to the straining I was doing on the shoulder presses on monday (I noted that my neck muscles were really under stress in the mirror)
Link Posted: 3/29/2008 11:32:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AGW] [#34]
I wasn't in my normal gym yesterday, so you'll have to forgive while I calculate everything from kilos to lbs.

Squats continued to be light (no higher than 85kg /~185#) for form work.  I've been struggling with my presses lately, but I really focused on back extension and knocked it out of the park with a cool 66kg (~165#).

Oh, but you've never seen a more perfect row... at 135kg (just under 300#, about 298.5), they were absolutely explosive.  I haven't let me grip slip out to the second rings in a while, but that helped a TON.
Link Posted: 3/29/2008 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#35]

I wasn't in my normal gym yesterday, so you'll have to forgive while I calculate everything from kilos to lbs.

Squats continued to be light (no higher than 85kg /~185#) for form work.  I've been struggling with my presses lately, but I really focused on back extension and knocked it out of the park with a cool 66kg (~165#).

Oh, but you've never seen a more perfect row... at 135kg (just under 300#, about 298.5), they were absolutely explosive.  I haven't let me grip slip out to the second rings in a while, but that helped a TON.

Because it reduces the ROM?
Link Posted: 3/29/2008 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#36]

I haven't let me grip slip out to the second rings in a while, but that helped a TON.

Because it reduces the ROM?

Yes, that's why I've avoided it, but... after trying both back to back, I don't think a regular shoulder-width grip even allows for the recruitment that a pendlay is meant to for.  I certainly can't arch my lats the same.  In fact, I was reading somewhere that there's just no way around it, you need a wider-than-SW grip.

Anytime I try shoulder-width, I can power through half of my total reps, but the rest end up several inches short of full ROM and my elbows flair out as if I'm doing it close-grip.

I don't like a wide grip for much anything, but the difference in this case is clear to me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2008 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I agree with you and also feel like the full ROM on a shoulder width grip is hard on shoulders.  A full retraction of your shoulder blades ends up putting your upper arms roughly parallel to your torso, anything beyond that seems unnecessary.
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Ok, squats continued to be light for form work (improving some previous issues resulting from the volume), bench was respectable, but DLs were my focus again.  I'm in no pain, but I'm not happy about 3 of my 5 pulls because I know my back rounded out halfway up my shins.

I'll work on it Friday.  I know it's a form issue, but I think I can attribute it to my shoes.  Every time I've had a great pull, I've been either barefoot or wearing shoes that mimicked it.  I've got an extra 3/4"-1" in these current and I'm never satisfied in them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 7:35:52 AM EDT
[#39]
I declined to go to the gym last night.  Instead I got some good cardio in as I rushed to mow my lawn that needed it badly.  I'll be back in action tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Squats felt pretty good last night.  But was really lacking energy for some reason.  By the time it came around for pullups, I was gassed.  This morning I feel like I have been to hell and back.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Not Rippetoe... but I just finished some barefoot sprint sets.  My god, it's much easier without shoes.  A lot faster too.  I feel like I'm headed in the opposite direction, from a human stand-point.  Soon I'll be asking if being insuring through Geico makes me less of a caveman.
Link Posted: 4/4/2008 6:09:36 AM EDT
[#42]
This morning I woke up and my legs are absolutely killing me from Wednesday's squats.  Most of the pain is isolated along the  outside flank of my quads.
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Last night was a ho-hum workout.  No progression on anything, although I think next time I can add another 5 to DL's.
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#44]

Last night was a ho-hum workout.  No progression on anything, although I think next time I can add another 5 to DL's.

About the same for me, yesterday.  It was one of those uneventful workouts that's just leading up to a big win or a big let-down the next time.

Today, I tried a full 3k barefoot.  It went well, save for the small chunk of one my toes that's now missing.

Link Posted: 4/5/2008 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#45]

This morning I woke up and my legs are absolutely killing me from Wednesday's squats.  Most of the pain is isolated along the  outside flank of my quads.

Narrow stance?  Matt makes us do these towards the end of the workout on lower days.  Mine are aching too! Outside quad = Vastus lateralis IIRC.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2008 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By GR8TWYT:

Narrow stance?  
Yep.  Funny how changing your stance on the same movement works such a variation of muscles.
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Day 1, week 10, wkout B.  I had a pretty hot head leaving the house and felt like I was in the rack forever.  I took a good 3-4 minutes between sets, but still managed to get out of the gym in under an hour.

I went light on squats again.  I think I'll keep it up for the rest of this week and then go to town on wk11.  I also eeked out a 5lb increase in my OH presses, but was only able to go 4/3/3.  I'll carry the same weight over to Friday to see where my weakness was.

Rows were, once again, fantastic.  Felt like I had charges exploding under the plates with each pull.  I just wish there was more shit in my daily activities that required me to grip n rip.
Link Posted: 4/8/2008 7:08:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VTHOKIESHOOTER] [#48]
Work out "B" for me as well.  My squats sucked and it has been weeks since I have been able to progress.  To make matters worse I re-aggravated my groin injury yesterday at work crossing a log.  I worked through it with the squats and iced it down.  As much as I like doing squats and DL's. I may take a month off and focus on getting my groin healthy.  Maybe the reset will help give a boost to my squat.  That is my current though process.

My shoulder  presses continue to rock.  I added another 5# and went 5/4/3.  At this rate I will be able to shoulder press more than I can squat..  My rows were ok, but what really surprised me were my pullups.  Normally by the time I get to them I am pretty wore out.  This time I was a pull up machine.  10/7 with the wide grip pullup then I did 10 reps of my normal close, palm in pullup.  I figured what the hell and did 2 more sets of those 8 reps each.  Friday I will be adding a 5# plate.

ETA I have also dropped my current weight oddly enough.  I peaked out at 176lbs and now I have weighed 171 just about 5 days straight now.  It appears what little body fat I have is starting to disappear.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 6:40:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AGW] [#49]
W/O 'A', return of heavy squats.  Ohhhhhh man.  I'm gonna be slow in the morning.  My hips  were like, "THANKYOUSIRMAYIHAVEANOTHER!!!!!".  I done good though, no GM's to speak of or pain indicative of poor form.

Bench went well, DL was so-so since I haven't focused on squeezing my shoulder blades, and... yeah.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Just got back.  My groin still sucks.  I did a few sets at 50% on the squats and called it a night for that.  Bench was outstanding and so were my dead lifts.  New PR on the DL 215lbs    Not only was I able to do it, it was IMHO perfect form.  I could feel my heals pressing into the floor and my body pulling the weight up. After my dips I rounded the night out with some intense ab work.

To be honest, excluding the groin issue, I feel like a million bucks.
Page / 13
Rippetoe's 3x5 (Page 4 of 13)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top