User Panel

Site Notices
Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 83 of 90)
Page / 90
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:24:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
Is it just the pic or is that mag curved? Are the AI pattern mags curved like that? I didn't think so but have only played with a Lapua once or twice ever.
View Quote
I think it's an optical illusion personal. I've never seen a curved 338 mag, outside of I believe the Nemo arms one.

But with the curve of the RPR chassis,  the angle of the magazine well, plus the angle of the magazine... Kinda make it look curved.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:33:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Once they build the long action it would be pretty easy to do other calibers and as popular as 300WM is it would make sense.
View Quote
Agreed. TBH, it would make more sense for Ruger to release the .300WM first, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ruger didn't release both together or the .300 shortly after. I feel like Ruger should've jumped on the magnum calibers awhile ago, because people have been begging for them for years now. I already have a Savage 110 BA Stealth, so I don't think I'll be getting one of these. Although, I still want the Hawkeye Long Range Target.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By BushmasterGuy77:
Agreed. TBH, it would make more sense for Ruger to release the .300WM first, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ruger didn't release both together or the .300 shortly after. I feel like Ruger should've jumped on the magnum calibers awhile ago, because people have been begging for them for years now. I already have a Savage 110 BA Stealth, so I don't think I'll be getting one of these. Although, I still want the Hawkeye Long Range Target.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Once they build the long action it would be pretty easy to do other calibers and as popular as 300WM is it would make sense.
300 first only makes sense in a mass produced hunting gun. 338 Lapua has a larger established market in this realm.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#4]
That rail looks like it might be Arca Swiss compatible.  Any word on that?
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#5]
300 first only makes sense in a mass produced hunting gun. 338 Lapua has a larger established market in this realm.
View All Quotes

Well, Ruger's distributor in Australia has leaked it.

300wm and 338 Lapua will be available.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By itgoesboom:
View Quote
From the images it looks like Arca and M-LOK.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

Excellent. That brake must go, though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

Excellent. That brake must go, though.
View Quote
Yeah mine will be getting a SiCo ASR brake.

Just debating 300wm vs 338. I already reload for 300wm, for my hunting rifle.  But I kinda want 338 to have...
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#9]
If they chamber it in 300 Norma I'd be on it like white on rice.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Wirebrush:
If they chamber it in 300 Norma I'd be on it like white on rice.
View Quote
Probably just have to have someone make you a barrel.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:
Originally Posted By itgoesboom:
Ideal.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 5:46:21 PM EDT
[#12]
For those of you with a RPR, do any of you have the RPR rimfire variant? I didnt even know it existed until last night and happened to see a review on Youtube.

My daughter just turned 6 and it would be perfect for her to learn on with the stock all the way in. It would also be perfect for me for critter control. I have a Savage FV-SR II threaded, but Ive never been in love with the stock or the rifle itself, so it would be sold to make some room in the safe and keep the Nikon BDC .22 scope.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By cucamelsmd15:
For those of you with a RPR, do any of you have the RPR rimfire variant? I didnt even know it existed until last night and happened to see a review on Youtube.

My daughter just turned 6 and it would be perfect for her to learn on with the stock all the way in. It would also be perfect for me for critter control. I have a Savage FV-SR II threaded, but Ive never been in love with the stock or the rifle itself, so it would be sold to make some room in the safe and keep the Nikon BDC .22 scope.

Thoughts?
View Quote
I'd drop the FV SR into a boyds tacticool stock.  The reviews I've seen of the RPR 22 have been hit and most being it's cheaply made.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Saw the 300wm and 338 pop up officially today.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By cucamelsmd15:

Thoughts?
View Quote
I have a .22lr and 6.5 Creedmoor. The .22 is a 1 to 2 MOA gun. The only ammo that I found to be 1 MOA was CCI green tag and SK Rifle match. Its not as well built as the full size. The trigger mechanism pins are sloppy tolerance. The bolts that hold in the chassis are too easily stripped. It has a lock up based on just the bolt handle. The machining there looks like someine did it by hand with a dremel. It does not fold. You cant swap stocks to alternative AR stocks if you put something like a Magpul PRS on your full size RPR. With the long bolt throw allowed by removing the ring, it causes you to gouge clearance for the bolt and you get little shavings of plastic till you clearance it. Its sort of heavy compared to a 10-22 and there is no lightweight KIDD type aluminum sleeved barrel aftermarket and it is heavy with a thickish and too long barrel (should be 16" IMO). The way the magwell is a little sloppy you can ding rounds or get hung up cycling a round so you have to test magazines for both function and accuracy and not put pressure on the mag while working the action.

That said, it is worth the $400 price, but it is not a high value gun. The vakue you get is $400 worth. Its niche is a trainer to shoot .14 per round match .22 lr instead of 7-8× more expensive 6.5 Creedmoor ammo, IMO.

I paired mine with an Athlon Argos BTR mil 6-24×50 which I feel similarly about. Lots of features, budget price,  lower quality, but gets the job done... though not premium feeling in any aspect. It allows training on selecting targets at various distances from 10 to 150 yards and dialing in your elevation and windage. Even though it only has 5 mils per rev, it has a ghetto imprecise zero stop and you only need 2 or 2.1 mils to dial to 100 yards, so you can stay within a single rev out to the max range you woukd care to shoot. You would need at least an 8" steel gong to try 200 yards, preferably larger.

A .22 with a real lock up off of a lug that isnt the bolt handle, like an Anschutz, a more controlled feeding from the magazine, like an Anschutz (though Anschutz has ejection reliability issues) a real target or match chamber that puts the rounds into the lands, like an Anschutz, would make the rifle 2x as expensive, but Id gladly pay for it if it were available. Id also have paid an extra $50-100 for a chasis with a folding mechanism that took AR stocks, even if the chasis was still plastic.

If they made a Gen2 RPRr with an adjustable magwell to remove slop, a folding stock chasis variant, and a REAL match barrel 16" long and Id have no real complaints, even if it still looked crude.

On the plus side, it CAN shoot 1 MOA at 50 yards with the limited ammo it likes. It is relatively reliable once you sort mags. It makes a good trainer for someone who uses the factory RPR stock (though the lift vs close of bolt is heavier opposite of the real RPR which is heavy to lift a d the .22 is heavy to close due to action differences). The trigger, while a little creepy like the real RPR, is light enough to not hinder gun when set to minimum. You can use an identcal bolt handle to the full size.

Overall, its just OK. Nothing special.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#16]
So I'm a huge fan of melonite/Salt bath nitride and see that Brownells has a barrel from Faxon arms for sale

Faxon 6.5 creedmoor Barrel

With the 10% off going today I'm thinking about getting one but I'm not sure of the quality of the Faxon barrel.
Anyone have any experience with Faxon barrels?
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#17]
According to the fine print, the 10% off and free shipping isn't available on barrels.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By lonewolfgun:
So I'm a huge fan of melonite/Salt bath nitride and see that Brownells has a barrel from Faxon arms for sale

With the 10% off going today I'm thinking about getting one but I'm not sure of the quality of the Faxon barrel.
View Quote
They're one of the better cheap barrels out there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#19]
anyone know who makes the brownells brand RPR barrels? are they worth a damn?
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By lonewolfgun:

View Quote
I have several.  One of the best "Bang for your Buck" barrels on the market and great customer service.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By vincentvega6:
anyone know who makes the brownells brand RPR barrels? are they worth a damn?
View Quote
Those don't look bad either. A little cheaper but not fluted. I don't care about the looks and I'll just lift a few extra pound at the gym to make the difference up

Plus they offer a 6 creed barrel as well.

Plus with  Brownells Forever Warranty,  how can you go wrong with either manufacturer?

Link Posted: 10/18/2018 4:35:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Is ruger nitriding the bolts on all rprs or just the magnums?

Looking at getting a rpr in 6.5 and maybe one in 300 and was curious if they both would have nitride bolts
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By SurtrsFire:
Is ruger nitriding the bolts on all rprs or just the magnums?

Looking at getting a rpr in 6.5 and maybe one in 300 and was curious if they both would have nitride bolts
View Quote
All new RPRs have nitride bolts
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 10:06:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By DitchDr:

All new RPRs have nitride bolts
View Quote
Would I be wrong to assume that all mlok rpr versions would be nitrided?
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 10:21:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Would I be wrong to assume that all mlok rpr versions would be nitrided?
View Quote
Nope, you are correct.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#26]
im sure its been asked before but what ring height would i need for a vortex viper pst 2 5-25x50? all i have right now is 1" nightforce rings and im guessing that wont work since it already almost touches on another rifle with no rail above the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#27]
im sure its been asked before but what ring height would i need for a vortex viper pst 2 5-25x50? all i have right now is 1" nightforce rings and im guessing that wont work since it already almost touches on another rifle with no rail above the barrel.
View Quote
I think most people are using high or extra high rings.

You'll also need 30mm rings for the Viper.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
yeah i have 30mm rings at 1" height is what i meant
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes

Good deal.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 4:38:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DitchDr] [#30]
View Quote
Vortex or Seekins Precision 30mm 1.45” high are perfect for that scope.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Killed off the .223 but introduced the 300 WM. Classic Ruger thinking....
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:42:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 03PSD:
View Quote
o sort of see your point, but so many .223 options I bet it's a tough sell anyway.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 12:13:07 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
Were they selling? I thought they were super cool guns but didn’t know anyone that bought one. I know quite a few like myself opted for the American ranch or predator instead for a 223 bolt gun.

The number of people using them for competition and as trainers has got to be very low. They wouldn’t kill it for nothing. With “Long Range Hunting” still a big thing they will have no problem selling the 300 win mags. All the Gucci hunters will have them set up with proof barrels and Swarovski scopes before you know it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#34]
just picked up my first RPR.

bolt feels like a beat up mosin when cycling compared to my tikka im used to

someone tell me it gets better over time, have about 200 cycles through it right now and its still just as clunky.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Ill post pics from the range of mine tomorrow. Got one in 6 CM. Will rebarrel to 6.5 when i burn this barrel out.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Vortex or Seekins Precision 30mm 1.45" high are perfect for that scope.http://i66.tinypic.com/wtyt6f.jpg
View Quote
Very nice!
PRS
Timney
MI

what else have you done? Bolt knob.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 12:28:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Very nice!
PRS
Timney
MI

View All Quotes

Vortex or Seekins Precision 30mm 1.45" high are perfect for that scope.http://i66.tinypic.com/wtyt6f.jpg
Very nice!
PRS
Timney
MI

LRI 6.5 Creedmoor barrel with APA Little Bastard muzzle brake.  LRI bolt knob and bolt shroud.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:11:13 AM EDT
[#38]

LRI 6.5 Creedmoor barrel with APA Little Bastard muzzle brake.  LRI bolt knob and bolt shroud.
View Quote
Is the shroud replacement just a thing in gen 1 RPR where they were plastic from the factory or is there a reason to replace later versions as well?
I don't have my RPR yet so not fully knowledgeable on them. Trying to figure  all the ins and outs
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:48:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Is the shroud replacement just a thing in gen 1 RPR where they were plastic from the factory or is there a reason to replace later versions as well?
I don't have my RPR yet so not fully knowledgeable on them. Trying to figure  all the ins and outs
View All Quotes

In some cases the LRI shroud will fit tighter with less wobble than the factory aluminum shrouds.  This isn’t always the case though.  My factory shroud was a really sloppy fit and the LRI shroud took care of that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Wasn’t there some sort of recall on the shroud as well?

I replaced mine on the Gen2 more for the hell of it. Nothing wrong with my factory plastic piece but the titanium one from Anarchy Outdoors fits better and gets rid of the zipper sound when running the bolt
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:46:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Shooter_556:
Wasn’t there some sort of recall on the shroud as well?

I replaced mine on the Gen2 more for the hell of it. Nothing wrong with my factory plastic piece but the titanium one from Anarchy Outdoors fits better and gets rid of the zipper sound when running the bolt
View Quote
Yes, there was a recall concerning the bolt shroud.  Information is available on the Ruger website.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:22:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: divermedic68] [#42]
So heres the results of my first range trip with the RPR. Had one box of hornandy 108gr eld match ammo and a bunch of hand loads.Attachment Attached File

The middle orange circle was my sighting in before i put the 4 targets up. Had her zeroed in 3 rounds. Then proceeded to put 7 in a jagged hole with one a little off at 100yds. All the others were just some loads i threw together last night using some hybrid 100v. top left target was the last 5 rds all in a jagged hole. My son shot the other 5rds in that target. Not a bad rifle overall.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#44]
just picked up my first RPR.

bolt feels like a beat up mosin when cycling compared to my tikka im used to

someone tell me it gets better over time, have about 200 cycles through it right now and its still just as clunky.
View Quote
Ruger vs. Tikka.  Enough said.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Been kinda wanting a RPR since they came out but around here they were stuck around $1300.  Saw the CDNN add for a Gen II .308 RPR for $799.  Couldn't pass that up so it should be here Monday.

Still working my way through the 83 pages of this thread.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:58:03 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote
They killed it off because sales sucked. No one shoots a 223 for long distance competition. Why would you pay 1200 for a long range 223 rifle.....
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:56:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By cb4017:
Been kinda wanting a RPR since they came out but around here they were stuck around $1300.  Saw the CDNN add for a Gen II .308 RPR for $799.  Couldn't pass that up so it should be here Monday.

Still working my way through the 83 pages of this thread.
View Quote
Same here!!! Mine was delivered Thursday, (ordered Monday) and asked my FFL if he could make a delivery for me today! My first bolt gun, I’m anxious to try it it. I have a couple cases of federal gold medal match to try out on it. Had a cheap 4-16 scope sitting in the safe for years (has a 308 reticle). I have a few extra 51t’s so I’ll put one on it tomorrow and try to get to the range Sunday.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By divermedic68:

They killed it off because sales sucked. No one shoots a 223 for long distance competition. Why would you pay 1200 for a long range 223 rifle.....
View Quote
Nobody shoots a 300 WM in competition either but lots of people shoot .223 trainers. That's why I bought mine. I paid under $800.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Nobody shoots a 300 WM in competition either but lots of people shoot .223 trainers. That's why I bought mine. I paid under $800.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By divermedic68:

I paid a little more for mine but it sure is fun to shoot at distances Where the 6.5 is easy. And it’s easily loaded for on the progressive press.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:23:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sparkyD] [#50]
Bad gateway post
Page / 90
Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 83 of 90)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top