Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 7:48:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Lol you don’t need to log out to not be on a site but good thing you did.

And I am sure you will still get the email notifications on your departing thread so you can see everyone grieving your leaving lol

And how is someone supposed to know people aren’t happy if no one tells them? I told him about this thread and the one at Accurate Shooters that was eventually locked. What the matter are you upset the person you were talking about saw it? 😉
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jlficken:

Did I not say that I went to log out of the site.  It's kind of hard to do that without going to the site on all of the machines I was logged in on.  You should try reading

ETA: Don't forget to tell Frank that I posted here again as I'm doubting he found this thread on his own.

Lol you don’t need to log out to not be on a site but good thing you did.

And I am sure you will still get the email notifications on your departing thread so you can see everyone grieving your leaving lol

And how is someone supposed to know people aren’t happy if no one tells them? I told him about this thread and the one at Accurate Shooters that was eventually locked. What the matter are you upset the person you were talking about saw it? 😉

I never subscribed to the thread and have no idea what's been posted after I said I was out.  It doesn't really matter to me what more he has to say.

I posted in the thread on SH and started one here because it seemed dumb to me and I thought others might want to know about it as it took me by surprise.

I guess you feel the need to report threads criticizing your BFF's actions?  I find that weird but you do you.

ETA: I didn't realize they had a forum so thanks for that info :thumbsup:

I went and found the thread and like this one I didn't see a problem with it.  People can be critical of decisions made on other public forums.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:07:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#4]

You have been on the Hide that long and didn't know that when you post in a thread it subscribes you? You can opt out but most don't.

Not reporting but giving the full view of the opinions of the actions of the change. Isn't that what you wanted? Or did you just want to come here and cry? Well you do you. LOL

And you had been on the Hide long enough to know that when people throw temper tantrums and say they will never be back they usually are. Hell Greg has left more than a half dozen times "for good". See you at the Hide in a few months. LOL
View All Quotes

I never subscribed to the thread and have no idea what's been posted after I said I was out.  It doesn't really matter to me what more he has to say.

I posted in the thread on SH and started one here because it seemed dumb to me and I thought others might want to know about it as it took me by surprise.

I guess you feel the need to report threads criticizing your BFF's actions?  I find that weird but you do you.

You have been on the Hide that long and didn't know that when you post in a thread it subscribes you? You can opt out but most don't.

Not reporting but giving the full view of the opinions of the actions of the change. Isn't that what you wanted? Or did you just want to come here and cry? Well you do you. LOL

And you had been on the Hide long enough to know that when people throw temper tantrums and say they will never be back they usually are. Hell Greg has left more than a half dozen times "for good". See you at the Hide in a few months. LOL

Subscriptions with a notification icon is standard when you post or create a thread however, email notifications require you to turn that on when you click the Watch button at the top of the thread on SH.

You are right though.  I should have know that Frank would throw a tantrum as that's what he does whenever anyone disagrees with him....just like the move to Scout...which was a complete disaster.

Don't worry though as I won't be going back.  Feel free to keep checking my profile on SH though just to verify.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:14:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#6]

LOL ah the spin. Yeah it was Frank's tantrum. LOL And no I will not be checking as I have more important things to do but I can just permanently ban you if you like so you won't have the itch to come back in a month or so as you know you will. LOL Your call.
View All Quotes

Subscriptions with a notification icon is standard when you post or create a thread however, email notifications require you to turn that on when you click the Watch button at the top of the thread on SH.

You are right though.  I should have know that Frank would throw a tantrum as that's what he does whenever anyone disagrees with him....just like the move to Scout.

Don't worry though as I won't be going back.  Feel free to keep checking my profile on SH though just to verify.

LOL ah the spin. Yeah it was Frank's tantrum. LOL And no I will not be checking as I have more important things to do but I can just permanently ban you if you like so you won't have the itch to come back in a month or so as you know you will. LOL Your call.

I can stay away on my own.  It won't be a problem.

I find it funny though you're talking about banning me on SH for what is being said here like there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

ETA: Reading fail on my part...sorry.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Not banning you because of what was said and actually not banning you at all. Maybe you need some reading help too? Was asking if you wanted me to so you wouldn't have the temptation so you can stay a man of your word. LOL
View All Quotes

I can stay away on my own.  It won't be a problem.

I find it funny though you're talking about banning me on SH for what is being said here like there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Not banning you because of what was said and actually not banning you at all. Maybe you need some reading help too? Was asking if you wanted me to so you wouldn't have the temptation so you can stay a man of your word. LOL

You're right...my bad.

I won't be going back...no worries there.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#9]
For anyone interested here is the Accurate Shooter's forum.  I guess I had an account but I don't remember signing up for it or that forum :shrug:

It's $25/yr for the Silver Contributor status and here's the description:
Upgrade to Silver Contributor status to receive unlimited Classifieds listings for 1 year.
View Quote

I paid for my membership.  $25/yr is fine and I happily pay that here every year as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:51:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#10]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

Agreed, that site isn’t going anywhere.  If it didn’t die when it sold to the web board conglomerate guy, it isn’t dying.  

Frank was always decent to me the few times I had cause to interact with him.  

I had a good time and got great info on the older version, pre the period of the other site owner.  Great experience in the old crew.  

I just never got back in to it in the later years.
View All Quotes
Every change the Hide has ever made there have been nay sayers saying the site is going to die and it's still here as strong as ever. I have been on the site for 21 years now and seen a lot of change. Not stressing this change.

Agreed, that site isn’t going anywhere.  If it didn’t die when it sold to the web board conglomerate guy, it isn’t dying.  

I had a good time and got great info on the older version, pre the period of the other site owner.  Great experience in the old crew.  

Heck, I didnt know it didnt die.  It used to be a really cool place, got bought or something with a complete redesign and they killed off some of the best threads.  And basically became lame and useless, so much so I stopped going there years ago. Best gun forms today are AR15.com. 65Grendel, and Bullpup forum.  Good to hear apparently Snipers Hide got better again (or at least for a while); I dont really have any drama baggage there either way.

And yes, the $240/yr fee will kill it.  Nobody is paying that, and the few that do won't have enough critical mass of traffic for it to continue to be viable.  Sounds like a rookie play someone echo-chambered themself into thinking was a good idea.  Oh well - life has a way of self-regulating.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

Heck, I didnt know it didnt die.  It used to be a really cool place, got bought or something with a complete redesign and they killed off some of the best threads.  And basically became lame and useless, so much so I stopped going there years ago. Best gun forms today are AR15.com. 65Grendel, and Bullpup forum.  Good to hear apparently Snipers Hide got better again (or at least for a while); I dont really have any drama baggage there either way.

And yes, the $240/yr fee will kill it.  Nobody is paying that, and the few that do won't have enough critical mass of traffic for it to continue to be viable.  Sounds like a rookie play someone echo-chambered themself into thinking was a good idea.  Oh well - life has a way of self-regulating.
View All Quotes
Every change the Hide has ever made there have been nay sayers saying the site is going to die and it's still here as strong as ever. I have been on the site for 21 years now and seen a lot of change. Not stressing this change.

It was probably a dealer that suggested that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fxntime:

I hadn't thought about that.  I suppose it could be possible.

I wonder how long it will take people to just start reusing old ad's since you can just replace the title and all of the contents of the original post.  Then you could just go delete any replies you made.  It would work great also if people just stopped posting "I'll take it" type replies.

At $200/yr it's totally worth that trouble.  If it was only ~$20/yr like other forums it wouldn't be worth the trouble as a user (to me at least).

Before I left I looked at the first several pages of the EE there and I mostly saw old ads being bumped rather than new ads being created.  There were 4 or 5 that had the "Site Supporter" or whatever it's called tag so they are paying the $20/mo fee (they may have had it before for the Online Training membership..I don't know), however, the first several pages were either dealer accounts or already existing ads being bumped.

Time will tell though.  If people want to pay that much to sell things then that proves it's a viable business model.  If not then either the price will be reduced or the EE will die on SH.

If the last upgrade cost Frank $60K like he stated then that would take 300 people paying the discounted rate of $200/yr at the current price.  If it was $20y/r for a "Seller's Membership" (if such a thing existed) then it would take 3000 people to cover the cost.  I could totally see 3000 people paying $20/yr for EE listing privileges and I would have been one of them.

He's said for years that he hates the EE being there so it could just go away altogether as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, the $20 a month seems really steep to people like me who may only sell 3 or 4 items a year (and each item only being a couple hundred bucks).  No way I'm paying $20 for that.

If there were an individual listing fee, or an annual fee for an upgraded account (like the bronze, gold, and platinum membership levels here, and at similar price points) I'd be much more likely to pay.

I do understand him wanting to cut down on complaints, and I do understand how a pay wall helps address that, but $20 seems excessive to me.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Smith & Wesson forum does this if you list too often.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 12:15:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mc556] [#17]
I am definitely put off by $20 per month for something that I would use one or twice a year. Thing is that once or twice per month would be for specific things. Like a med Palma proof prefit for Origin action.
Was planing on posting it there as it’s also where I purchased it.    Stuff like that normally doesn’t sell here very well.  If anything the snipers hide deal stagnates things for guys like me who dip their toes into that world but aren’t players.    I’ve bought quite a few things that got me started from just regular guys not the near vendor types.  The more I think about it more disappointing I am.   Oh well his site his rules
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 12:24:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By mc556:
I am definitely put off by $20 per month for something that I would use one or twice a year. Thing is that once or twice per month would be for specific things. Like a med Palma proof prefit for Origin action.
Was planing on posting it there as it’s also where I purchased it.    Stuff like that normally doesn’t sell here very well.  If anything the snipers hide deal stagnates things for guys like me who dip their toes into that world but aren’t players.    I’ve bought quite a few things that got me started from just regular guys not the near vendor types.  The more I think about it more disappointing I am.   Oh well his site his rules
View Quote

As frank put it. Take the 20.00 onto the price of the item. Then cancel the membership after the month of the sale so it doesn't renew.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I've seen this movie before.  What once was a great forum will die in 12 months.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By rlltd42:
I've seen this movie before.  What once was a great forum will die in 12 months.
View Quote

Doubt that. It's been around for a very long time and the marketplace wasn't what kept it a float.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#22]

LOL you obviously know nothing about the Hide.
View Quote

I hope you're right because I like it there, but I've been around internet gun forums for a while (and so have you) and can remember a whole bunch of sites that were once very active and then shriveled up & died after "small" changes were made to increase revenue.

I went to SH years ago to sell some niche gear & ended up sticking around, was a paying member for about 12 months mainly for the training section.  Truth is a lot of people go to forums to buy/sell stuff, so choking off those new users seems counter-productive.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I seriously don't understand this. People over there don't bat an eye at having multiple guns with 2-5k optics on each gun and sell said optics and have a problem spending 20.00 a month to sell an optic for 2k, then selling an action for 1200, then a barrel for 600 or a set of rings or mounts for 300 to 400. That hobby makes this hobby here look cheap in comparison.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 7:17:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rlltd42] [#24]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:
I seriously don't understand this. People over there don't bat an eye at having multiple guns with 2-5k optics on each gun and sell said optics and have a problem spending 20.00 a month to sell an optic for 2k, then selling an action for 1200, then a barrel for 600 or a set of rings or mounts for 300 to 400. That hobby makes this hobby here look cheap in comparison.
View Quote

Yeah it's kind of like night vision in that regard...definitely a buy once, cry once hobby.  I've gotten good deals there too though.  Next time I have something that is better suited to sell there rather then here, I'll just pay the $20 and then cancel before it renews.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#26]
that site seems to be slowly dying ever since Frank changed servers to that sports server site that he eventually dropped.  It just never seemed the same, not as interesting.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#27]

As frank put it. Take the 20.00 onto the price of the item. Then cancel the membership after the month of the sale so it doesn't renew.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mc556:

What a pain though.
His site his rules and all.  The EE on that site is pretty cool and I really do think it will hurt the site at least to a point.  It definitely wouldn’t go under its to unique.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

There are plenty of those guys, but for everyone of them there are 3-4 that can only do one and have to save up for it.
   I would love to have ZC and NF Atacr’s on my rifles but I have more than one hobby and I just can’t justify it.
     Personally I think it’s the idea of yet another monthly style subscription based deal.  I’d rather pay a yearly membership like on this site.   I have a overwhelming amount of paperwork to keep up with each month without remembering to stop and start a sales thread.
     The EE is pretty good here so for me I’ll post here first.
It would be nice if the precision rifle subfourm was more active here. Maybe it will benefit this site.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Site should have a lower paid tier for EE sales.

But overall $20 isn't that bad to keep the site running and the other options when you compare it to other things.  $20 for a box of ammo.  Compared to the cost of a $2,000 rifle.  A range fee.  Etc.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I've never bought or sold anything on the Hide.

I do, however find it a great resource for precision rifle/ long range shooting.

If I had to guess, I'd bet that a large percentage of the headaches that come from operating a forum such as that, come from the buy/sell forum.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Doubt they killed it.  It's the place to shop for things $1,500-$20k.  

I haven't been over there awhile, but the last time I was it was like they combined all of the EE sections and it was a mess.  Haven't been back sense.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:03:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Yup still there and going strong over a month after it was said to have been killed. Lol

The combo PX is a little tougher to get around but if looking for a scope then click on the blue optics tag and it gets rid of everything but optics. Same for others too.
View Quote

Scammers going strong for sure.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:59:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ARShooter91:

Scammers going strong for sure.
View Quote

Yeah, I've lost track of how many hijacked accounts I've seen with "too good to be true" EE deals this week.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#36]

And anyone with a WTB ad that gets an unrealistic sale price in a PM and takes it really needs to be a little smarter. Scammers are on every site. We ban them when reported.
View Quote

Lol, that's not the same as a long standing member with good feedback getting hacked and the scammer listing a decent deal.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 8:15:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tctlrld] [#38]

The oldest member this has happened to has been about 3 years on the site and all have been banned. It happens and is dealt with. If you or anyone else has a secret to it not happening then pass it on to Frank.
View Quote

I don't have any secret methods but from an incident response standpoint it would be very interesting to investigate. But you don't have any cyber IR retainer contracts I imagine. But I'd start by comparing the hacked users original hashed passwords to see if there was anything there.

I think you should very publicly issue a statement where you strongly encourage all users, but especially supporters to enable 2FA for their accounts.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 9:01:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 2:50:15 AM EDT
[#40]
I don't see how it won't have a negative effect on the site.  As its been mentioned, there are a lot of folks who visit different sites solely for their EE's, but still migrate out (and contribute) to the other discussion/tech forums.  Years ago, the GON.forum had one of the largest (if not the largest) EE's here in Georgia.
They went to a "pay by listing" format (I think the first couple were free each month), and traffic absolutely plummeted.  I'm not sure how the discussion/tech forums are doing, I haven't been there in a long time, but their EE is an absolute shell of what it used to be.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 7:54:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:03:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: crashburnrepeat] [#42]
I'm bummed about the change. I went there every day to check for stuff and they were really active forums. Then I'd flip over and check what was going on in the normal forums.

As a lefty it really sucks cause that was one of the most active left handed classified in the shooting world.

The classifieds have died and I find a rarely go there anymore. If web forums survive on traffic, that's going to hurt them.

Yes I could pay for one month membership but for someone who sells stuff two or three times a year, not really worth it.

And with the wildly reduced traffic, probably not worth it anyway.

I may sign up at accurate shooter if their classified forums are any good.

25 a year would be reasonable. 200 isn't really for the average guy not running a business, just looking to swap parts around and clean out the gun closet
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 8:48:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 9:02:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: esa17] [#44]
Frank reminds me of a dude that would bitch about a BJ.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#46]

And yet again, you can still buy there and look around the forums and do everything you did for FREE except sell. And when you did want to sell you just join for the month and sell and then cancel. Simple.

View Quote

I get that.

They're just far less effective now. Way less traffic, less stuff, less of a draw.

What's forum traffic pattern overall the last three months? Your have access to that data?

I'm guessing it's down noticably
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 10:52:52 PM EDT
[#48]

It’s not. The site is as busy as always. Plenty of people still there and posting.
View Quote

Well that's good to hear at least. I suspect that's your regulars and you have less transient users. It may not affect growth over time but I suspect it will. Who knows

From a business side it makes some sense, you can buy off a lot of click  revenue for twenty bucks.

But I also suspect he'd make even more charging say 25/year for posting rights or something. With the change the PX has basically gone dead, which is just kinda sad

Link Posted: 9/24/2021 1:08:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Public traffic data says it's impacting.

Down 6% unique visitors in 90 days
Down 27% page views.

That's significant, it will depend on how much add revenue he generates vs subscriptions, but even if subscriptions cover short term revenue, with page views dropping, less visitors, hell get less paid subscribers.

Those will spill over to other sites who have a chance to convert free users to paid subscribers.

Be interesting to see if this slide continues

Traffic stats
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top