User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:
Public traffic data says it's impacting.

Down 6% unique visitors in 90 days
Down 27% page views.

That's significant, it will depend on how much add revenue he generates vs subscriptions, but even if subscriptions cover short term revenue, with page views dropping, less visitors, hell get less paid subscribers.

Those will spill over to other sites who have a chance to convert free users to paid subscribers.

Be interesting to see if this slide continues

Traffic stats
View Quote

Arfcom is down 12% according to them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:46:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By iiibdsiil:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By iiibdsiil:

Down 27% page views.

That's significant, it will depend on how much add revenue he generates vs subscriptions, but even if subscriptions cover short term revenue, with page views dropping, less visitors, hell get less paid subscribers.

Those will spill over to other sites who have a chance to convert free users to paid subscribers.

Traffic stats

also not a surprise,  based on the number of users who aren't renewing, banned,  post sliding etc.  It's pretty easy to see.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Yup the Hide is dead. Lol Those stats never shift at all. I wish I had a nickel for every time people screamed the Hide is dead after he has made changes. Lol
View All Quotes

Down 27% page views.

Traffic stats

Yup the Hide is dead. Lol Those stats never shift at all. I wish I had a nickel for every time people screamed the Hide is dead after he has made changes. Lol

oh don't get me wrong,  I'm not saying the hide is dead,  not a bit.  And I get website stats fluctuate.  Hide won't go anywhere,  we both know that. And that's a good thing.  

I'm just saying that it will impact the quality of the site, and will *probably* negatively impact his revenue over time.  

Most websites exist on three revenue streams,  Ad Rev, Subscriptions and Content/Gear sales.  There's some websites that pull revenue from referral clicks but those tend to be aggregators like bonginoreport.com or Google front pages. Informational/Content sites like the Hide get most of their revenue from those three.

But ad rev, subscription and sales all depend on new users. there's a pretty static conversion number where most of the users who will become paying members have,  most of them who've bought training/Tshirts/dope cards have, and revenue will get static.

If the number of new users you draw in drops, and continues to decline, it's just less users to convert to subs or sell gear to. It's even less users to click on ads and sell impressions to ad firms.

You need pretty solid streams of unique and new visitors to keep those numbers growing, and if his numbers decline, his revenue will decline. He'll see a short term bump and the ones who wouldn't support will to offload stuff, but I suspect that will be short lived.  What'll happen is people will migrate sales to other sites. (just a hunch)

The Hide's not going anywhere, it's definitely not going out of business,  and it shouldn't, it's a fantastic resource with a LOT of great content, contributors and thinkers.  It'll always exist in some format. I mean hell, people are still playing Team Fortress 2 and Starcraft.

I just think this change will slow down the content, I think you'll see some user leakage. It'll get more boring and less new content as the ones who do stay, post what they have and it gets stale over time.

we'll see. I hope it doesn't. That'd be good. I just suspect you'll see it slow down over time due to that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Some people.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#7]
To look at another old gun site from my past browsing history that did next to nothing for revenue and the board owner apparently lost interest,...FAL files.  

pre ETA, i had to take a quick look as I haven’t been able to see more than a hold my place page in about a year......,
It seems that someone rebuilt the site but the traffic appears near dead.  

Threads I remember from 7 years ago on front pages.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m definitely bummed about the EE on the hide.  Stuff is still getting posted for sale but not nearly what was there before.   Is what it is.  I do think a yearly membership would have been better. That’s something I’d do vs a monthly subscription
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mc556:
I’m definitely bummed about the EE on the hide.  Stuff is still getting posted for sale but not nearly what was there before.   Is what it is.  I do think a yearly membership would have been better. That’s something I’d do vs a monthly subscription
View Quote

What's even worse is how many accounts are getting hacked. Scam ads popping up like crazy. They're pretty convincing sometimes to.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Stopped going to snipershide when they transitioned to the new website, didn't realize it was still a thing until this thread.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#13]
This sounds more like a pit thread or gd thread…

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Been "a thing" for over 20 years. LOL And which new website? There have been quite a few changes over the years with the worst going to Scout.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FrankW134:
Stopped going to snipershide when they transitioned to the new website, didn't realize it was still a thing until this thread.

Been "a thing" for over 20 years. LOL And which new website? There have been quite a few changes over the years with the worst going to Scout.

The scout thing when we had to re-register.  I was extremely active on the old site.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Why hasn’t this been moved to GD? The purse swinging in here is juvenile.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Been taking care of those as they pop up. Just part of doing business now on any website. Happens on other sites too. Look at all the fake ammo sites that popped up on Facebook.
View Quote

How many accounts get hacked here and post scam ads? I'm sure it happens but I haven't seen it like on the hide. Seems most everyday someone's account is hacked, if not multiple. Maybe offer some insurance with the pay to play EE? At least it's mostly low dollar stuff.

Why have you let this thread hang around here in tech? Lol
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#18]
If I ever plan to sell any high-dollar PRS stuff it's where I'd go.

I've paid far more in GunBroker fees selling shit there, $20 a month is reasonable to help a good resource running.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 11:19:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#19]
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#20]
It’s been several months since this thread was made. What’s the current opinion?
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ark-and-spark:
It’s been several months since this thread was made. What’s the current opinion?
View Quote
I'm sure its made no difference, but I haven't been through the classifieds there in months....and I used to check it at least every couple days.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:38:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:20:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Opinion on what? The naysayers cried and the Hide PX goes on as good as always.
View All Quotes

Lol no. It's sooo slow now. I used to buy like 90% of my stuff from there. It's so slow and so little turnover there.

It's fine, it'll continue, but it's a shell of what it used to be
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:29:13 AM EDT
[#25]
What’s the point? The user base there is nearly all also here.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 7:48:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Lol no. It's sooo slow now. I used to buy like 90% of my stuff from there. It's so slow and so little turnover there.

View All Quotes

It already is.

Most members aren’t going to pay the fee to sell a few bags of brass, or a couple of boxes of bullets and that makes sense.

For big ticket items, then $20 isn’t that hard to swallow.

Chris
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:29:52 AM EDT
[#28]

That speaks volumes right there. If the EE is your main reason to be there then why not pay as you are obviously using it a lot. And I believe you can still buy from the EE as a free member.
View Quote

It's pretty simple, they are going to lose those people because there will be less advertised on the EE since 80+% aren't going to pay $20/mo to list. It won't be worth browsing if there isn't much for sale.

$20/mo is laughable and ridiculous. And yes, it is what it is, but the site traffic will prove out that it was a dumb move, as many have expressed.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:02:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thedownzero] [#29]
Ahhh ol’ Frank Galli, the never-was-been that walks around as if he is Carlos Hathcock. Instead of “snipers hide” he should have named it “Navy Boat”, he has more real world experience in those.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 1:06:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: crashburnrepeat] [#31]
it's slowed down bad.  Worse than even a few months ago. I'm sure they aren't losing member numbers, but their traffic stats have to be way down.

have heard people mention it at matches several times. I've gone from daily or 2x daily visits to about weekly, maybe every other week. And the primary stuff I was buying doesn't change much.   if I filter on left hand,  maybe 20 percent of the given items will turn over in a week.   Months ago the first page would turn over multiple times a day.

It might be making them happy, maybe it's less heartache, or less stress, but it's made the site a whole lot less worth visiting often to chase deals.

I would love to see them go to a 20/year, or 25/year to post. It would kick up the numbers posted again. There hasn't risen yet a great alternative, but I see an uptick in long range stuff here at arfcom, accurateshooter and a few other more niche websites, where before most of it was concentrated at the Hide.

Hopefully it goes back to that eventually
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 1:40:29 AM EDT
[#32]
When I was looking to buy a scope or optic, I always checked there right after here. Especially for specific or less popular but quality scopes.

If it even pops over at all anymore the threads are ancient. That EE has slowed down real BAD and finding what you’re looking for is more miss than hit anymore.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 1:51:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By BobbyHill:
And pictures. You should have to post pictures
View Quote

I'm honestly surprised that pics aren't a rule here. Like at least prove you have what your selling, and show the condition it's in.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 10:27:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#35]
Edit: I don't use that site so I guess it doesn't matter to me.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 2:34:35 AM EDT
[#36]

So basically you only go there to use the PX? You know that is not the main reason for the site right? There is a lot of info there. Seems like this whole thread is people who only want the PX to be free and don't really post.

And it slowed down? LOL I had a for sale post i bumped in the morning and it was on page 4 by the afternoon. Guess all that posting is slow. LOL Sales have slowed some and items aren't selling as fast but not because of anything the Hide has done but the economy. Have seen that before but the site itself has not slowed.

View All Quotes
it's slowed down bad.  Worse than even a few months ago. I'm sure they aren't losing member numbers, but their traffic stats have to be way down.

have heard people mention it at matches several times. I've gone from daily or 2x daily visits to about weekly, maybe every other week. And the primary stuff I was buying doesn't change much.   if I filter on left hand,  maybe 20 percent of the given items will turn over in a week.   Months ago the first page would turn over multiple times a day.

It might be making them happy, maybe it's less heartache, or less stress, but it's made the site a whole lot less worth visiting often to chase deals.

I would love to see them go to a 20/year, or 25/year to post. It would kick up the numbers posted again. There hasn't risen yet a great alternative, but I see an uptick in long range stuff here at arfcom, accurateshooter and a few other more niche websites, where before most of it was concentrated at the Hide.

Hopefully it goes back to that eventually

So basically you only go there to use the PX? You know that is not the main reason for the site right? There is a lot of info there. Seems like this whole thread is people who only want the PX to be free and don't really post.

And it slowed down? LOL I had a for sale post i bumped in the morning and it was on page 4 by the afternoon. Guess all that posting is slow. LOL Sales have slowed some and items aren't selling as fast but not because of anything the Hide has done but the economy. Have seen that before but the site itself has not slowed.

No, not totally, but the px is a big driver of visits, at least for me.

Still visit, still great knowledge, I just wind up there a lot less because I go to other places to find stuff.

It'll work itself out. I think it's actually picking back up a little recently.
Hopefully they eventually go to like a 20/yr model, or even 50/yr would be better.

But either way, market will solve it. People just post other places if they don't want to pay the fee. I would just rather see that traffic and growth at the hide, vs other places. I prefer it over the alternatives generally

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top