Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 5:10:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By river_rat:
So how many "links" of tail do you have lose to keep from getting the venom from the stinger?

We cut off the last 'link' with the stinger and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Like so:

Link Posted: 12/19/2008 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey Rizzo god damn i still can't beleive you ate coyote thats so nasty i can't
even imagine that a girl a work today said i should eat them if i shoot um 'FUCK THAT'
more power to you man YUCK.

Link Posted: 1/6/2009 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#4]
How did the scorpions taste?
Link Posted: 1/6/2009 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Like burnt hair.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#6]
So whats next?
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 12:22:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Well someone was supposed to send me a groundhog, but that never happened.

So I was gonna eat a fox, but out of the 5 I've shot this year, 2 had rabies, one exploded from the hit, and 2 were in the back of the truck for too long.

Pigeon has been suggested, and I'd eat it, but it's really just like a dove or something around here.

So any suggestions? I'm still up for fox, just got to get a clean one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 12:25:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you guys have opossums out there?
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 8:29:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Not in Arizona.

But if someone sent me one - I'd fry it up!
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CornDogg723a:
Do you guys have opossums out there?

Arizona does have a lot of skunks.

Mmmm skunk stew!
Link Posted: 2/28/2009 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#11]
You are my new hero, rizzo
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Groundhog is just like rabbit.  If its an old one, you can bbq, oven roast it on a rack, or chunk it up for stew.  If you get a young one in the spring/early summer, you can cut it up, dust it in flour and fry, like young rabbit.  Not gross at all.  I used to use a 7mmRemMag for a chuck gun, using 100gr handloads at 3500fps.  Just do head shots and you will end up with the chuck to eat.  I did one COM shot once, just red mist and a smear.
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 10:51:29 PM EDT
[#13]
have you tried gopher? the meat is really greasy. Long story on how i came to try gopher but hey its not too bad. Kinda like rabbit.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 12:57:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By atrox:
have you tried gopher? the meat is really greasy. Long story on how i came to try gopher but hey its not too bad. Kinda like rabbit.

Hey man, this is ARFCOM - no story is too long!

Link Posted: 4/7/2009 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#15]
well, we were having a bbq and i was in the process of ridding my lawn of those pesky gophers when my brother decided he wanted to eat one (some alcohol was involved). I checked my trap a little bit after that to find that i had gotten one, so my brother cleaned it, put it on a skewer and cooked it up. Since he had it cooked up i figured i might as well try a piece and it wasn't too bad.

BTW rizzo i am also on PBAZ
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Pigeon is like a huge dove we shoot them all the time . When we make dove wraps no one even knows except the size of the breast. They are great and here in Texas you can shoot them year round.
Link Posted: 5/30/2009 12:07:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Pigeon is very good. Have had it a couple times.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#18]
this thread is full of win and lulz.  

for those mentioning armadillo, btdt.  i lived in south america for a couple of years and a family down there baked and armadillo in the shell for us.  it tasted pretty good.  i've had squirrel in a gumbo, made by my wife's grandpa.  i thought it was pretty good.  when i lived in baton rouge, people sold coons out of the back of their trucks. aforementioned wife's grandpa said he'd cook some up if i wanted.  never got around to it before we moved.

great thread rizzo.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I killed a ground hog and it tasted like chicken, well atleast it did to me
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Holy Mother of GOD this thread is making me hungry!!

Rizzo, I've had grain fed (well, more like grain thieving) pidgeon, and it was fine, just like any other wild bird with dark breast meat.

And you are the Gawd Damned MAN for everything in this thread, wow.

I read in one of the rags many few years ago that a hunter was storm stuck in a cabin for a few days & got soooo tired of eating the same old food, so he finally cut a chunk off of the frozen mt. lion he had shot and said it tasted amazingly great, so everyone who is saying mt. lion is supposed to be tasty really knows their stuff.

Question for you guys, tho, as I've never gotten close to a coyote:  What do they stink like?  My best guess is maybe wet dog?
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Scrap5000:
Question for you guys, tho, as I've never gotten close to a coyote:  What do they stink like?  My best guess is maybe wet dog?

Not every coyote really stinks, but for the ones that do, it would be nice if they stunk like wet dog. Mostly they stink like urine and dirt and carcass. It's a pungent kind of odor; the kind you can get used to but never enjoy.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:42:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rizzo1318] [#22]
With a coyote and a bobcat down my gullet, it just didn't seem fair to leave a fox out of the mix, so today I am proud to bring you Fox Lunch!

I whacked a fairly big male fox this morning with my trusy 12ga, and decided with the recent cool temperatures it was time for a little snack. Used my new decoy that Edge sent me - a little big, but it got the job done!

Once I got him home I strung him up and went to work skinning the little fella. Those backstraps looked so tasty!

The first "chunk" of meat. Not much meat on a fox, as it turns out.

I took two strips from the backstrap and one from the front shoulder.

When I was all done, this is what I had to eat.

And when it was all cooked up, here's my well-balanced meal!

And of course there's a video!  Watch the video of Fox Lunch!

Mmmmmmm! More tasty predators!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:18:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Wasn't sure if you were going to try anymore delicacies or not it has been so long.

So fox is edible. Still wouldn't be on the top of my list but food is food when hungry. So what is next?

Link Posted: 11/6/2009 2:31:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Bobcat reminded me of pork.  I know it's not a predator but have you ever had beaver tail?  Delicious!  I'm sad that my job in Arizona for the winter seems to have fallen through...
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Nope, never tried beaver tail before. Seems like it would be tasty, though.

Too bad you won't be in AZ this winter, but kill some predators in ID this year anyways!
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 1:05:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Haven't had beaver tail but have had beaver. Both 2 and 4 legged but most of you know how the 2 legged is, if not too bad for you. Anyway the 4 legged type is very good. Somewhat like roast beef. BBQ'd is real good, so is stew. The key is to get all the fat off before cooking. It ruins the taste of the meat. Muskrat is dry and a bit like pheasant.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 6:03:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Rizzo, I gotta give it to ya for trying coyote!
Hey you dont know if its good until you try it right?

Check out some of the responses I got out of this one....

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=978402

I guess nutria isnt on top of some peoples menu!
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#28]
This is the best thread since Aqua Bumping.

Thanks OP!
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By smokiexd45:

Dude . . . . awesome! You should've cleaned up the skull as a memento! Why didn't you take the head off for cooking, though?
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 10:43:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rizzo1318] [#30]
Originally Posted By Timanator:
This is the best thread since Aqua Bumping.

Now THAT was back in the day!

Link Posted: 1/3/2010 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By rizzo1318:
Originally Posted By smokiexd45:

Dude . . . . awesome! You should've cleaned up the skull as a memento! Why didn't you take the head off for cooking, though?

Hey, if you want a skull, I could send you one. We shoot them all the time, there is a $6 or $7 per tail bounty on them because they eat up the marshland. plus they make a nice pelt and they taste delicious!

I left the head and tail on just to get a laugh. I normally clean em and cook em like a rabbit. Good little critters!
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 7:38:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Porcupine is some good eating as well but they are a pain to skin. we always hung em by their back leg and split the skin at their stomach then worked our hands around the inside to peel the skin off. Then just quarter parboil then flour and fry em.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#33]
A foot of snow on the ground, got the rifle sighted in, and ready to go find some yotes.  They gotta eat sometime.
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 11:46:50 PM EDT
[#34]
lol awesome, we have some friends (bums) who like to show up and eat our chow all the time w/o asking.. so one day we cooked up a skillet of bobcat and didn't say anything it wasn't long before they popped in and were chowing down.... lol they liked what they thought was deer meat, never told them.... we put the carcass in their outhouse.

Hunting camp humor.
Link Posted: 6/26/2010 3:06:21 AM EDT
[#35]
wow I could not believe what I just witnessed you eat. Way to go you must have real good stomach. You Wife must really love you that you are able to cook this stuff.

Tag for more fun filled eating.

May be you should get together with that crazy dude Andrew Zimmern I think he could learn from you
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#36]
You're a crazy bastard Rizzo.

Keep it up.
Link Posted: 11/27/2010 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Rizzo you are the man. Awesome thread.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 12:14:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Last year dad and I decided to live up to the "eat what you shoot" mantra.  We tried possum, squirrel, coyote and fox.  I thought the fox and coyote were about the same, the flavor was not too bad and we ground about 5 pounds of coyote and had a burger feed.  It was a little greasy but most of it dripped off.  The next on the menu was a possum.  I don't want to go into dtails too much, let's just say I will never do it again and I would rather forget I tried it.  We cooked a coon in the pressure cooker and it came out as greasy as it went in.  The flavor was strong but not unpleasant.  I eat pigeon all the time.  I shoot them for farmers in the area to keep down their numbers.  Talk about a great way to open land for hunting other things.  On a first trip to a farm 5 of us killed 45 pigeons in less than an hour and the farmer was a trip!  He was climbing silos and banging shed walls and he had a blast!  The guy was about 70 and he climbed silo ladders like a teenager.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 1:33:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:
Last year dad and I decided to live up to the "eat what you shoot" mantra.  We tried possum, squirrel, coyote and fox.  I thought the fox and coyote were about the same, the flavor was not too bad and we ground about 5 pounds of coyote and had a burger feed.  It was a little greasy but most of it dripped off.  The next on the menu was a possum.  I don't want to go into dtails too much, let's just say I will never do it again and I would rather forget I tried it.  We cooked a coon in the pressure cooker and it came out as greasy as it went in.  The flavor was strong but not unpleasant.  I eat pigeon all the time.  I shoot them for farmers in the area to keep down their numbers.  Talk about a great way to open land for hunting other things.  On a first trip to a farm 5 of us killed 45 pigeons in less than an hour and the farmer was a trip!  He was climbing silos and banging shed walls and he had a blast!  The guy was about 70 and he climbed silo ladders like a teenager.

The key to 'coon, 'possum, beaver and most any other wild game that is fatty is to remove the fat as much as possible. When needed cook on a rack. The grease has a tendency to get a bit rancid tasting when cooking and ruins the taste. The same way for goat and bear.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 4:09:02 AM EDT
[#40]
I read through what I thought were the highlights, but only saw a couple descriptions of what everything tasted like.

Can you run through them and give some visceral descriptions of taste, texture, etc?

Oh, and whats the password to watch the videos?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 7:16:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rizzo1318] [#41]
Those videos got all screwed up when Photobucket changed to a new format, but fear not! The videos are up and running again and the links work just fine now.

Here's some descriptions for you, Tao.

Coyote - smelled like dog urine when I was cooking it, but eating it was less painful than I had expected. Very dark, very dry, very tough meat - it was like chewing rubber. Taste was not horrible, but far from great. I wouldn't eat it again if I had any other options, such as grubs or shoe leather.

Bobcat - excellent all around. White and tender meat, very juicy and subtle but good flavor. I have eaten bobcat about a half-dozen times since this video was made. My favorite way to cook it is over a campfire in a skillet with butter and garlic cloves. I have also eaten mountain lion and found it to be similarly delectable.

Fox - dark meat, fairly tough, but stayed pretty juicy. Taste was very similar to a breaded venison type of taste, except a little more tart. It was certainly much more edible than coyote, and I would eat it again if necessary but it wouldn't be my first choice, especially since fox are very prone to carrying rabies.

Final verdict: Cat = tasty / Dog = gnarly

Link Posted: 1/19/2011 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm gonna link this thread to a Zombie topic. What would you eat? Course, you're more then welcome to chime in. Seems the dudes are thinking small when it comes to food issues when everything else runs out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 1/19/2011 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Sounds like the Chinese got it right with eating cats then huh?
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 3:59:33 AM EDT
[#45]
I can't wait to get a hold of some bobcat
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By HUNTER223:
Back to the predator subject, I know that there may not be a lot of gators where you live, but if you ever come across one while hunting, bag it, cook it and eat it.....you can thank me later as they kind of taste like frog....................kind of.

HTR.

Dillo?! Awesome! What did it taste like - please don't say 'chicken'.

And yeah, there's not many gators in AZ, but I actually have had gator tail. There's a restaurant in my town that serves exotic meats and I had the gator tail one night. It was very tender and juicy.

Link Posted: 2/16/2011 5:02:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Was the capibara that bad that you needed a "lot" ketchup or just b/c you really like a lot of ketchup? Beaver is especially good done up with your choice of BBQ sauce. Not that it tastes bad b/c it is similar to roast beef. That capibara meat looks like a lean pork.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top