Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#1]
WTG Rizzo! If I ever do shoot a bobcat I'm going to have to try it now.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 12:44:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Well the question now is... What next?
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 1:41:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By Leftover_Salmon:
Well the question now is... What next?

badger?

Link Posted: 5/23/2008 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm . . . . I've only shot two of those around here, guess I'll have to find some more!
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 11:18:26 PM EDT
[#5]
after reading all this .. I got 2 words .. "F**k that!"

nice to see ya had the nerve to follow through .. I applaud you for that!

Link Posted: 10/9/2008 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By rizzo1318:
Hmmm . . . . I've only shot two of those around here, guess I'll have to find some more!

Armadillo, Possum, Rattlesnake.. The list is long
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Rizo, thats crazy, pretty awesome though. Nice job.
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By LazarusLong:

Armadillo, Possum, Rattlesnake.. The list is long

rattlesnake is actually DAMN good, the gourmet giant near em sells it, and i buy it on occassion, its expensive, but well worth it IMO.

i vote for cooking up a groundhog. they eat the same thing as deer, so cant be too too bad.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#10]
No groundhogs around here, though. Actually killed a badger this weekend while coyote hunting, threw it in the truck to dice up later, but by the time we got back to camp it stunk so bad I said "no way".

I'll keep hunting for weird animals to eat. Anyone want to kill a groundhog, cut me off a piece, and mail it to me?
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#11]
how would one go about mailing it? i probably kill some of the best tasting groundhogs you could eat. they eat soybean most of the year, so that probably helps their nutrition.

ill be down killing more of them if not this weekend, then the next.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#12]
After you kill it, take lots of pictures, then freeze it, and mail it to me with a 2-3 day shipping service in some type of small cooler. Should be fine, I'd think. Then I'll eat it!
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 7:47:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: liquidsunshine] [#13]

After you kill it, take lots of pictures, then freeze it, and mail it to me with a 2-3 day shipping service in some type of small cooler. Should be fine, I'd think. Then I'll eat it!

Ground Hogs are really good. They taste like pork.

My great Aunt said they ate them during the depression im southern Ohio. I killed one and she roasted it in the oven with potatoes and carrots. Excellent

Since then I have killed and eaten Marmots here in CO and they taste just like eastern Ground Hogs.  I usually cook mine on the grill or in stew.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I have always read that Panther and Bobcat were a fine meal.  Thanks for validating that.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh yeah nad the next thing you need to eat is a BBQ coon.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#16]
could probably freeze it, and overnight it too.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 1:46:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By liquidsunshine:

Ground Hogs are really good. They taste like pork.

My great Aunt said they ate them during the depression im southern Ohio. I killed one and she roasted it in the oven with potatoes and carrots. Excellent

Since then I have killed and eaten Marmots here in CO and they taste just like eastern Ground Hogs.  I usually cook mine on the grill or in stew.

Eh? No pics?

No fun if someone's already done it - well okay, I'll still do it!
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#18]
rizzo your a little crazy i like that, funny thread
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#19]
rizzo, going to be killing chucks this friday/saturday/sunday, using the 22-250, and 338 lapua though, so i cant promise there will be anything left to eat after i shoot one, but ill see what i can do.

ever eat a chipmunk? kinda small, but ive been picking the bastards off all week in my yard with a BB gun.
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I love bobcat!!!!!  Teriyake is the best!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By 300ultramag:
rizzo, going to be killing chucks this friday/saturday/sunday, using the 22-250, and 338 lapua though, so i cant promise there will be anything left to eat after i shoot one, but ill see what i can do.

ever eat a chipmunk? kinda small, but ive been picking the bastards off all week in my yard with a BB gun.

Wow, can't you use a smaller caliber for just one? I know, I know, sad not to see them explode, but I need something left to eat!

I've eaten squirrel, but never chipmunk. Pick one off with the BB gun, pack it with the chuck, and I'll eat them both. Take plenty of pics for proof, then email them to me.

Not too much plague in your area, is there?
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/22/2008 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By 300ultramag:

Wow, can't you use a smaller caliber for just one? I know, I know, sad not to see them explode, but I need something left to eat!

I've eaten squirrel, but never chipmunk. Pick one off with the BB gun, pack it with the chuck, and I'll eat them both. Take plenty of pics for proof, then email them to me.

Not too much plague in your area, is there?

smaller calibers are not fun though. biggest problem is crawl aways, love to kill them, but hate to see them suffer.

will be certain to bring the camera with me, hopefully i can get one to stay together enoguh to get a good sized peice of meat.

i threw the chip munks in the back, but ill try to get soem more next week.
Link Posted: 10/23/2008 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/23/2008 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#25]
As soon as I kill a cougar, I'll eat it!
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 12:46:09 AM EDT
[#26]
tag
Link Posted: 11/8/2008 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Still waiting on my groundhog and chipmunk delight.

Hope it comes soon!
Link Posted: 12/1/2008 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#28]
No chipmunk and groundhog yet. I am sad. Okay, so what else can I eat?
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 4:14:46 AM EDT
[#29]
What are your options close at hand? It looks like you are going to have to kill it yourself.
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Well someone mentioned pigeon and badger, I'm considering both when I get the chance to kill one or the other. The last badgers that I skinned out stank worse than any coyote, though.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey Rizzo, how about a Arizona Diamondback Rattler?
Link Posted: 12/5/2008 3:53:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Pigeon is good. Kinda like quail in size. The breast is what you want. It is rich though so don't overdo it. Years ago a buddy and I spent the night fishing the river bank on my families farm. We got hungry so we caught some frogs and discovered the corn in the field was right at the milky stage so it was like sweet corn. Still was hungry so we went up to the barn and got 3 pigeons apiece. Between sweet corn, frog legs and pigeon we both had the shits for about 3 days but damn it was some good eating.
Link Posted: 12/5/2008 6:03:29 AM EDT
[#33]
my dad tought me to try anything once. I really want to try bobcat now. I could probly do without the yote though.

for those that know what it is , I like durian fruit.

OP. do you eat the insides also? . when I go hunting I have to keep the kidneeys , heart ,and liver for my father. and balls if its a male hog. I wonder is squirel balls are good ? deer?
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 3:01:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rizzo1318] [#34]
Originally Posted By TheSurvivalist:
Hey Rizzo, how about a Arizona Diamondback Rattler?

Man, I was eating rattler when I was a little tike! My father taught me to kill rattlers when I was a kid, and sometimes I'll cook them right there over a campfire - yummy!

Originally Posted By ZachH:
my dad tought me to try anything once. I really want to try bobcat now. I could probly do without the yote though.

OP. do you eat the insides also? . when I go hunting I have to keep the kidneeys , heart ,and liver for my father. and balls if its a male hog. I wonder is squirel balls are good ? deer?

Well, I have tried Rocky Mountain Oysters, not that bad really, especially with the right sauce, (touche!) but I don't know about hog balls. Squirrel balls would probably be too tiny!

I highly recommend the bobcat, and you're right, coyote is best left in the field. And yes, I keep the tongue, heart, and liver of all big game animals I kill, like elk and deer (though they're mostly for my dad). Not so much the kidneys, and I have yet to try brain.
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 5:49:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Just make sure you're cooking everything WELL.  At least 160 degrees for at least a few minutes.

Somebody else already mentioned bear meat with regards to Trichinosis... but you can get Trichinosis from all sorts of carnivores, and some omnivores.
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Everything I've eaten in the past as far as weird stuff goes gets a dose of a few hundreds degrees for at least 10 minutes - if there's somethin' nasty in there after that, well, I can't tac nuke it so it will just have to deal with my body, which is a wrecking yard as it is.
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Hey Rizzo just a FYI. Rocky Mountain Oysters are not just calf balls. Hog and sheep also qualify for he title, at least in these parts.  Sauce on RMO's is sacrilege. Just a light breading and nothing else. Done properly they are great. Squirrel would be a tad too small.
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By river_rat:
Hey Rizzo just a FYI. Rocky Mountain Oysters are not just calf balls. Hog and sheep also qualify for he title, at least in these parts.  Sauce on RMO's is sacrilege. Just a light breading and nothing else. Done properly they are great. Squirrel would be a tad too small.

Thank you, I did not know that. Grew up in cattle country, so I figured calf balls were it. And it's not a heavy sauce, just something light to dip them in.

Link Posted: 12/7/2008 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By river_rat:

I know rooster are fine eating . it would take a lot of squirrel , rabbit ,etc for a meal though.

Link Posted: 12/7/2008 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Awesome man! The nastiest thing I've killed and eaten was squirrel. Just looking at the bobcat pics on the grill I got a little hungry.

So, are you gonna try coon?
Link Posted: 12/7/2008 11:55:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rizzo1318] [#41]
Originally Posted By ZachH
I know rooster are fine eating . it would take a lot of squirrel , rabbit ,etc for a meal though.

Rooster nuts?? I have to say I never even thought of that.

Coon sounds good, we have some around here, I'd be up for it but I can already guess that they are nasty ass stinky for eating.
Link Posted: 12/8/2008 12:04:26 AM EDT
[#42]
I wouldn't eat a bobcat, they aren't aggressive enough and rattlesnake really sucks, won't ever do that again.
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Glen I just found this forum and thread, so after seeing you eating all these local critters you got me wondering why you didn't eat any of those fine Arizona Rock Lobsters my boys cooked up on the BQ at the hometown shoot?

How about we go for a real dinner next week, one with a menu that the wives would be willing to go for?
Link Posted: 12/15/2008 7:58:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rizzo1318] [#44]
Well . . . . I didnt want to steal the glory from the boys! Yeah, that's a good reason . . . .

I'm sure the wives would appreciate a nicer menu!

Give me a buzz when you get into town.
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Well . . . . I didnt want to steal the glory from the boys! Yeah, that's a good reason . . . .

I'm sure the wives would appreciate a nicer menu!

Give me a buzz[/u] when you get into town.

vulture?

you would want to cook the crap out of that for sure....
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#46]
What's an "Arizona Rock Lobster"?
Link Posted: 12/16/2008 5:11:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rich_V] [#47]
Originally Posted By WWCND:
What's an "Arizona Rock Lobster"?

Link Posted: 12/16/2008 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Thepilot

vulture?

you would want to cook the crap out of that for sure....

Wow - I don't know if I would even attempt that. Yummy, botulism!

Link Posted: 12/16/2008 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ZachH:

Tastes great - just hold your nose.
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 1:40:49 AM EDT
[#50]
So how many "links" of tail do you have lose to keep from getting the venom from the stinger?
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top