Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked 223- Deer Hunting Rounds (Page 4 of 14)
Page / 14
Link Posted: 5/3/2010 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#1]
A buddy recently gave me a few boxes of Winchester Ranger 60 grain Partition Law Enforcement. It's been said these are what the FBI use. I am thinking about giving these a try for a June cull hunt. However I cannot find any ballistics information on them. I checked Winchester's website and could only find information on the Ranger Partition 64 gr.

Do the collective minds think the 60gr out of an 18" 1:8 stainless steel barrel will do it's job on some deer?

If not, what would y'all suggest. I've also been eyeballing the Winchester Super-X Rifle Cartridge but can't find any places that have it in stock.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 2:02:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: danc46] [#2]
Originally Posted By carlschmarl2:

....Do the collective minds think the 60gr out of an 18" 1:8 stainless steel barrel will do it's job on some deer?...

If you make a good shot and keep the distance to 150 yds and less, the 60 gr 223 Partition will definitely work.
ETA  I have reservations of how it would do on a larger buck if you hit it on a heavy bone. But I can vouch my reloads with 60 gr Partitions worked fine on two deer, both does shot at around 100 yards and dropping immediately.

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 8:54:11 AM EDT
[#3]
This is a great thread! I have an offer if anyone is interested. I will be going up to the UPof Michigan shortly and will be shooting NUISANCE deer on a friends farm. Now Im not sure the limit but I thought it was ten or more. If anyone has a specific 223 load they would like me to use and I am able to find the factory loading - I will use that load and post the results. I'll buy the ammo- you tell me which one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DrDeath:
This is a great thread! I have an offer if anyone is interested. I will be going up to the UPof Michigan shortly and will be shooting NUISANCE deer on a friends farm. Now Im not sure the limit but I thought it was ten or more. If anyone has a specific 223 load they would like me to use and I am able to find the factory loading - I will use that load and post the results. I'll buy the ammo- you tell me which one.

What barrel specs are on the 223 you will be using?

I handload 62gr TSX over 25gr RL15 that I want tested out on bigger deer.  I would be willling to get you 20rds for shipping only if you can test at those ranges.  Alot of people here love the TSX's, and alot are still skeptical about 223 hunting bullets.  I am willing to sacrifice rounds to a 3rd party to backup what I say about the TSX's and cause others to STFU.    

PM me if interested, if you only want to shoot factory loads, I understand that as well, no offense will be taken.  Just trying to get you quality ammo for testing on the cheap.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Are you going to butcher the deer? Some type of dissection with pictures of organs and bones hit would be nice with records of the ranges they were shot at.
I was extremely loathe to use a 223 on a deer but it worked fine for me on does. Like I said I have reservations about shooting a bigger and heavier boned buck with one. That comes from experience of shooting them with 30 cals and using even premium bullets and sometimes having less than the best luck.
Those shoulders on some bucks are HARD and can shatter even a premium 30 cal bullet and give less that stellar performances.
I think any of the premium bullets like the TSX or Partition would be material to work with in killing nuisance deer.

Link Posted: 5/4/2010 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By danc46:

Are you going to butcher the deer? Some type of dissection with pictures of organs and bones hit would be nice with records of the ranges they were shot at.

I was extremely loathe to use a 223 on a deer but it worked fine for me on does. Like I said I have reservations about shooting a bigger and heavier boned buck with one. That comes from experience of shooting them with 30 cals and using even premium bullets and sometimes having less than the best luck.

Those shoulders on some bucks are HARD and can shatter even a premium 30 cal bullet and give less that stellar performances.

I think any of the premium bullets like the TSX or Partition would be material to work with in killing nuisance deer.

Then shoot them in the head.

sorry, couldn't resist since we have been thru this so many times.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By supremeweasel67:

You're right.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 6:05:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: supremeweasel67] [#8]

Originally Posted By supremeweasel67:

You're right.

I figured it would not be long before the "head shot" advocates chimed in.

I do prefer the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips in all of my deer guns. They are awesome, especially in my 243.

Danc, also new for 2010, check this out.

www.winchester.com/library/news/Pages/News-BallisticSilvertip.aspx

Gonna have to try these since I do love my 45-70.
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 8:28:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1-Wolverine] [#9]
"I handload 62gr TSX over 25gr RL15 that I want tested out on bigger deer.  I would be willling to get you 20rds for shipping only if you can test at those ranges.  Alot of people here love the TSX's, and alot are still skeptical about 223 hunting bullets.  I am willing to sacrifice rounds to a 3rd party to backup what I say about the TSX's and cause others to STFU".    

Why not 70gr TSX? seems like it would be a better penetrater, but you would need a faster twist barrel, the standard 1-9 would not be fast enough. I am thinking about handloading some 70gr TSX for hog hunting.
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 1:21:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Looking for a deer/hog load for my AR. I have killed hogs with 55 FMJ out to 200 yards with head shots, they never knew what hit them. I want a bullet that will do the job, if I need to take a chest shot, sometimes there is not time to take a head shot.

Also my 8 year old daughter loves to shoot my AR, and she wants to kill a deer this fall, and I want a bullet that will do damage and penetrate.

I have spent a couple days searching and have come up with two: 60 gr. Nosler partition and 62 gr TSX,.

Wanted to hear the pros, and cons of each, from y'all.

Shooting a 18" 1 in 7 twist AR.

Have not reloaded for the 223 yet, but have reloaded for .357, and 44 magnum.
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I may be using a 20" Colt this year.

The land I hunt down here in GA has 100 yard MAX distance, so I'm not worried about long range shots.

Last year I took out the M1 Garand and dropped  a buck at ~30 yards with a 150gr Hornady SST.  I would use the Garand again but its a bit unwieldy in a tree stand... just too long and a bit heavy.  

That leaves the choice to the AR or the .30-30.  I'd like to use the AR just to try something new... if I do I'll use either Fed Fusion .223 or SSA 70gr TSX 5.56.
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 4:31:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DPeacher] [#13]

Originally Posted By 1-Wolverine:

Looking for a deer/hog load for my AR. I have killed hogs with 55 FMJ out to 200 yards with head shots, they never knew what hit them. I want a bullet that will do the job, if I need to take a chest shot, sometimes there is not time to take a head shot.

Also my 8 year old daughter loves to shoot my AR, and she wants to kill a deer this fall, and I want a bullet that will do damage and penetrate.

I have spent a couple days searching and have come up with two: 60 gr. Nosler partition and 62 gr TSX,.

Wanted to hear the pros, and cons of each, from y'all.

Shooting a 18" 1 in 7 twist AR.

Have not reloaded for the 223 yet, but have reloaded for .357, and 44 magnum.

Whichever one of those bullets suits your pocket book.  Both will get the job done. My AR's like 25 grains of Reloader 15 under the 62 grain TSX, but please check your load manuals and reduce that load by 10% and work up for your rifle.  As a side note, the 62 gr TSX is real close in length and BC to a 68/69 gr HPBT Match bullet, so I practice with the less expensive 68/69 gr Match and hunt with the 62 gr TSX.

Link Posted: 5/19/2010 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Price seems to be only a few cents different, 50 cents or 56 cents.  I am leaning towards the 62 TSX, they seem to retain close to 100%, but the nosler  it seems like you lose the lead in front of the partition. Do they both penetrate equally as well? accurate? I am shooting consistent 1/2" 5 shot groups with 55 gr FMJ factory ammo. Can I expect the same with the TSX If I can work up the right load? Seems a lot of talk about bad groups with the TSX.
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#15]
, .....but the nosler  it seems like you lose the lead in front of the partition. Do they both penetrate equally as well? accurate?... .

Nosler 60 gr Partition at 100 yds or so:

I ain't much for the 223 and deer hunting but I'd say that deer was smucked pretty good by the Nosler, even after hitting bone.

Link Posted: 5/19/2010 7:20:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1-Wolverine] [#16]
"I ain't much for the 223 and deer hunting" I am with you on that. It is not my first choice either, for deer, but my 8 year old daughter is scared of the  youth Model 7 in 7-08 that I bought for her mother, but loves shooting my AR. So for her, 223 it is.

Now for hogs 223 is my first choice, because the AR is so much fun to shoot and a hog is a overgrown rat with better PR.

Man that Partition did the job on that deer.
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 10:17:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DPeacher] [#17]
The Partition was designed so the front half would expand at "normal" velocity or expand all the way down to the partition if the impact velocity is high enough while leaving the projectile below the partition intact for deep penetration even if the front half of the projectile is obliterated on impact.  It is a fairly old design, but it's reputation for dependable terminal performance is very well deserved.  
The TSX is a relatively new design that makes its reputation on near 100% weight retention after impact with rapid yet controlled expansion at all but very low impact velocities.  Barnes has some very impressive impact videos on their website www.barnesbullets.com
As far as accuracy goes, I believe the TSX is probably more accurate than the Partition, BUT some rifles love the TSX and others hate them.  Both of my AR's and my .308 bolt rifle LOVE the TSX, and the .308 shoots the TSX (0.5 MOA) better than it shoots the Sierra Match King (0.75 MOA).  HOWEVER, my 6.5x57 bolt rifle HATES the TSX (4 MOA) but it shoots Hornady SST and Nosler Accubond very well (0.75 MOA).  The only way to know is to try them, but whichever one of them is more accurate is the one you should use.  Like I said before, BOTH of them will get the job done on deer or pigs.

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#18]

I just found the Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claw $1 per bullet in 223, I can not believe that they are selling many of these to re-loaders at that price.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 11:41:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Can we start a list on this thread about the best Factory deer loads available...
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 12:48:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: danc46] [#20]

I just found the Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claw $1 per bullet in 223, I can not believe that they are selling many of these to re-loaders at that price.

I almost crapped when I saw the price on the Nosler 223 Partitions I bought. They were $24 or so for 50  at a local gun shop. I know they were overpriced but DAMN!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I thought the Partitions and the TSX were high, Midway has the Bear Claw on sale for $48.99 for fifty, regular price was around $55.

Putting together a good hunting round is not cheap.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought the Partitions and the TSX were high, Midway has the Bear Claw on sale for $48.99 for fifty, regular price was around $55.

Putting together a good hunting round is not cheap.

It's cheaper to hunt with a 30 cal if you reload.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#23]
"It's cheaper to hunt with a 30 cal if you reload"  that is why I was hoping that the 30 RAR was going to turn out to be a popular round, but it seems to have went the way of a conservative in Washington DC, extinct.
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 10:58:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar_daddy] [#24]
I just use 65gr Game king work great on white tail in OK even on the Bigger Deer, Hogs Too, HP and BLTip  just frag to much at close range and won`t open up at long ranger, I place in the neck or in the back of the head most of the time but I have been reading on 6.8 lately , Just My OP
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DPeacher:

My AR's like 25 grains of Reloader 15 under the 62 grain TSX, but please check your load manuals and reduce that load by 10% and work up for your rifle.  As a side note, the 62 gr TSX is real close in length and BC to a 68/69 gr HPBT Match bullet, so I practice with the less expensive 68/69 gr Match and hunt with the 62 gr TSX.

I use the same powder & gr for the 62gr TSX.  How much/ if any change in POA/POI between the two loads do you have?  

For practice I shoot the 75gr Hornady HPBT @ 2675.  Big diff in POA/POI between my two loads, but I like the heavier bullet for hanging it out to 600.  Does the 68/69 get out that far for you, and if so what barrel length/twist on your AR?
Link Posted: 6/28/2010 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By battlestick:

My AR's like 25 grains of Reloader 15 under the 62 grain TSX, but please check your load manuals and reduce that load by 10% and work up for your rifle.  As a side note, the 62 gr TSX is real close in length and BC to a 68/69 gr HPBT Match bullet, so I practice with the less expensive 68/69 gr Match and hunt with the 62 gr TSX.

I use the same powder & gr for the 62gr TSX.  How much/ if any change in POA/POI between the two loads do you have?   Not very much difference out to 300 yards, which is the farthest I have shot the TSX at the range.

For practice I shoot the 75gr Hornady HPBT @ 2675.  Big diff in POA/POI between my two loads, but I like the heavier bullet for hanging it out to 600.  Does the 68/69 get out that far for you, and if so what barrel length/twist on your AR?  The 68/69's will work pretty good out to 600, but they are a bit more sensitive to wind when compared to 75/77's.  Both of my AR's have 1/9" twist.  One is a 20", the other is 16".

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By battlestick:

I use the same powder & gr for the 62gr TSX.  How much/ if any change in POA/POI between the two loads do you have?   Not very much difference out to 300 yards, which is the farthest I have shot the TSX at the range.

For practice I shoot the 75gr Hornady HPBT @ 2675.  Big diff in POA/POI between my two loads, but I like the heavier bullet for hanging it out to 600.  Does the 68/69 get out that far for you, and if so what barrel length/twist on your AR?  The 68/69's will work pretty good out to 600, but they are a bit more sensitive to wind when compared to 75/77's.  Both of my AR's have 1/9" twist.  One is a 20", the other is 16".

Great info to know.  I am on the verge of ordering 600 count package of 75's.  Now it seems as though I may need to try the 68/69's.
Link Posted: 7/2/2010 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#28]
An option for those of us using slow twist BBL's might be the 55g Sierra Gameking SPBT  I use this bullet in my 1/12" retro with good results so far. Even at close ranges and high impact speeds (less than 30yds for the deer shown) it will penetrate rather well. Of the two shots shown both were likely quite fatal but I make a point of shooting again if I can (with any round) to prevent a deer from getting it's feet back. This deer was shot Jumped what had to be 10 feet in the air landed on it's rear feet made about 1/2 a jump before I shot again at which point this little buck did a faceplant in a creek

The first pic shows the shot that went high through both shoulders which almost but didn't quite fully penetrate the deer.

the second shows a through and through shot at the thickest part of the neck just forward of the shoulders leaving an elongated exit appx 1" long

What these two shots show is just how much this bullet will penetrate, which in this case is it won't quite get through both shoulders but it will go through the next thickest part of a deer bearing in mind impact velocities were over 3000 FPS at longer ranges I'd expect less rapid expansion and a bit more penetration

Link Posted: 7/10/2010 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Like your Retro very much, you can use a SP flat base bullet in 63gr and would work just fine in that twist rate and keep your

range with in 200yds if you wanted to go just a little heavy on your bullet  ,nice buck to.   V
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ar_daddy:
Like your Retro very much, you can use a SP flat base bullet in 63gr and would work just fine in that twist rate and keep your

range with in 200yds if you wanted to go just a little heavy on your bullet  ,nice buck to.   V

at the time I was doing load development for deer season I would have went with the Win 64g PP which will stabilize in a 1-12 just fine, unfortunately they were on backorder. So after researching and reading midways bullet reviews I settled on the 55g Gameking and in this case I wasn't disappointed.

Were I to go to a different projectile I'd prolly go straight to the appropriate TSX
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:07:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar_daddy] [#31]
I`m thinking about going with the 70gr TSX   and set up on some powerline using this

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ar_daddy:
I`m thinking about going with the 70gr TSX   and set up on some powerline using this

<a href="http://" target="_blank">http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae118/ar_daddy/p_00017-1.jpg</a>

Ah! A fellow WOA owner.  My 30HRT upper wears that same forend
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Does anyone make a FACTORY load with a 62G TSX?
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Does anyone make a FACTORY load with a 62G TSX?

Silver State Armory  does.
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone use the 75g BTHP?????
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 11:20:12 PM EDT
[#36]
how about 100gr powdered tungsten bullets?  i dont know so that's why i'm asking.....

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=320547
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 11:29:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Shoot some into a heavy hog bone at 100 yds and post some pics of the results.

Link Posted: 8/8/2010 1:57:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar_daddy] [#38]
Originally Posted By Burnsome-:
how about 100gr powdered tungsten bullets?  i dont know so that's why i'm asking.....

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=320547

Love to have a 100pc to load myself and see .
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#39]
i know the 64gr PSP's from Winchester tend to lead to a lot of tracking.....
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#40]

I've used Hornady T2 5.56 75gr and other HP ammunition for thin skinned animals. It gets the job done but I prefer using SP as a hunting round (just more versatile). HP has the tendency to damage a lot of meat if you don't hit it in the right spot and can be less effective against bone. That's why another poster said to shoot into hog bone and post results. But I've also taken good size 150 lb hogs with HP and they get the job done but I'd rather use a SP.

I generally use HP for defense loads and SP for hunting.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 2:19:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Anything smaller than .24 caliber is verboten here in KS, so it's a moot point for me. The only thing that makes me shy from it is the lack of available factory ammo for the most part and lack of marksmanship skills of too many hunters I've seen in the field to trust them to make a clean kill with less-than-ideal .223 loadings.

FWIW - I'm less than impressed in the performance of anything marked Remington Cor-Loktd in any caliber, be it .223, .270 or .308. Every animal I've hit with them's been a chase. Nothing sours your outlook on a particular loading than chasing a wounded trophy deer almost 3 miles after a 130 grain Cor-Loktd out of a .270 blew up on a perfect shoulder shot, doing mostly meat damage and very little penetration.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Can we start a list on this thread about the best Factory deer loads available...

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:38:56 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm going to take my SCAR deer hunting this year and am trying to decide on what kind of ammo to bring.
Here in AZ we don't hunt from stands. Mostly just do a lot of glassing from high up then try to close the gap on a sneaky Coues buck from 100-300 yards (and sometimes a little more ).
Are Black Hills Match .223 any good? Or am I better off with just using a Nosler or Barnes soft-point from Federal? A store around here has a bunch of Black Hills and I'm thinking of picking some up but if the expansion isn't all that good I probably won't bother.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 3:34:45 AM EDT
[#44]
I just got my hunting license for NYS and want to hunt deer using an AR15 with 1/7 rifling.

Based on what I've read, I'm down to two different loads and would like your recommendations on which ones will work better.

1) Hornady Match Ammunition 223 Remington 75 Grain Hollow Point Boat Tail Box of 20, $16.99
2) Winchester Super-X Ammunition 223 Remington 64 Grain Power-Point Box of 20, $27.49

I've read good things about both of them.  Is one far superior to the other for hunting purposes, or are they both pretty much the same?
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't know if that Hornady 75g ammo is any good for hunting??,,!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#46]

The 75gr Hornady HPBT will drop them dead... but I believe it would damage more meat than a soft point.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 2:02:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shqype] [#47]
Originally Posted By liaisons:

The 75gr Hornady HPBT will drop them dead... but I believe it would damage more meat than a soft point.

Some reviewers said of that Hornady 75gr:

Alex Haag of De Forest, WI
Date posted: 11/28/2008
I brought my AR-15 in 223 out this year for deer season. I was a little worried if the 223 would be able to bring down a good size buck. I took out an 8 pointer at 300 yards with one shot with these 75 grain Hornady rounds. I was very impressed with these rounds, I will definitely buy more of these rounds. Hopes this helps!

Bob Boswell of Boise, ID
Date posted: 8/2/2006
If you must use a .22 CF on deer, this bullet gets the job done. I have taken 2 mule deer so far. Each with one shot. Neither went more than 100 yards after a solid lung-heart hit. Both bullets penetrated completely and left exit holes of about 3/4 inch in diameter. This is my pick for a home defense load for my AR-15 16" carbine also.

Doug Davis of Houston , Tx
Date posted: 2/3/2008
Great ammo!! I use it in my browning A-bolt and my AR- 15 with great sucess. I shot a 120 pound hog at 60 yards with this ammo. Hog buckled and ran maybe 40 yards. Great blood trail and pieces of rib left where he was shot. Wound cavity was amazing. The only .223 hunting round I will use.

But I think you have something in that this may damage more meat than the Winchester Soft Point...
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Please keep in mind the best game bullets are those that are capable of breaking bone and still holding together to penetrate deeply to destroy vital organs. One that breaks up on the bone may kill the animal, but not necessarily immediately or ASAP.
In killing an animal, you want the force of the sledge hammer with the penetration and cutting of the arrow to dispense the animal as quickly as possible. A bullet that is constructed well that has the velocity and weight to do both is the best to hunt with.
It gives blunt force (sledge hammer to break bone) and hemorrhaging (cutting up vital organs) to the best effect in dispatching the animal.
JMO after hunting and killing medium size game animals in the US for over 35 years.
We want to drop the animal right where it stands to make our hunting that much more enjoyable.
And even the best shots don't always get the perfect hit on the target so you need good bullet construction and velocity to be effective.
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Please keep in mind the best game bullets are those that are capable of breaking bone and still holding together to penetrate deeply to destroy vital organs. One that breaks up on the bone may kill the animal, but not necessarily immediately or ASAP.
In killing an animal, you want the force of the sledge hammer with the penetration and cutting of the arrow to dispense the animal as quickly as possible. A bullet that is constructed well that has the velocity and weight to do both is the best to hunt with.
It gives blunt force (sledge hammer to break bone) and hemorrhaging (cutting up vital organs) to the best effect in dispatching the animal.
JMO after hunting and killing medium size game animals in the US for over 35 years.
We want to drop the animal right where it stands to make our hunting that much more enjoyable.
And even the best shots don't always get the perfect hit on the target so you need good bullet construction and velocity to be effective.

OK, so which of the above two bullets do that best?

I ordered both, 40 of the Power Point and 60 of the Hollow Point.
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Shqype:

OK, so which of the above two bullets do that best?

I ordered both, 40 of the Power Point and 60 of the Hollow Point.

About those two, I don't really know.
All I do know for sure is from first hand experience that the 60 gr Nosler Partition does good at distances at 100 yds or so out of my Savage bolt and Encore 223.
Contact the bullet manufacturer and see what they recommend in the 223 flavor for deer.
Go from there.

Page / 14
Tacked 223- Deer Hunting Rounds (Page 4 of 14)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top