Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:46:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#1]
Getting closer to trying this on the air.  Just waiting for a resistor to arrive and I'll put it all together.  Hopefully this weekend or the next.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 12:06:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#2]
Okay so I'm still not quite ready to try this amp on the air.  My shack is in a "man cave"/storage room/spare bedroom that was a serious cluttered mess.  I spent the last 2 weekends de-cluttering and it's down to about 30% of what it was.  I still have more stuff to move out to the garage and attic, but I needed room to set up this amp, and I wanted to set up a proper table for the radios, my laptop, and a TV.  I am still trying to work out where the big antenna tuner and the amp will go.  I might get a tool cart from Harbor Freight or something to hold it.  It will definitely make moving that big heavy beast around a lot easier if it has wheels.

Due to the way my house is wired, it is simply impossible to have a dedicated circuit for the amp.  I might be able to arrange a dedicated outlet, but it will be on an existing circuit.  If everything works and it turns out the amp is an amazing, huge game changer, I might have a way to run a 240V line for it, with a lot of work involved.

I've got a glitch resistor and fuse for the HV circuit and will install those as well.

This whole project has been a long time coming.  I was given the amp several years ago, and brought it inside and began cleaning and disassembly at the end of last summer.  I didn't really dig into it until a couple of months ago.  So I guess a few more weeks won't make a big difference.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 1:01:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

You will have a shack heat for the winter....I like the Harbor Freight cart idea for the amp and tuner.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 5:57:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
Okay so I'm still not quite ready to try this amp on the air.  My shack is in a "man cave"/storage room/spare bedroom that was a serious cluttered mess.  I spent the last 2 weekends de-cluttering and it's down to about 30% of what it was.  I still have more stuff to move out to the garage and attic, but I needed room to set up this amp, and I wanted to set up a proper table for the radios, my laptop, and a TV.  I am still trying to work out where the big antenna tuner and the amp will go.  I might get a tool cart from Harbor Freight or something to hold it.  It will definitely make moving that big heavy beast around a lot easier if it has wheels.

Due to the way my house is wired, it is simply impossible to have a dedicated circuit for the amp.  I might be able to arrange a dedicated outlet, but it will be on an existing circuit.  If everything works and it turns out the amp is an amazing, huge game changer, I might have a way to run a 240V line for it, with a lot of work involved.

I've got a glitch resistor and fuse for the HV circuit and will install those as well.

This whole project has been a long time coming.  I was given the amp several years ago, and brought it inside and began cleaning and disassembly at the end of last summer.  I didn't really dig into it until a couple of months ago.  So I guess a few more weeks won't make a big difference.
View Quote

I talked to a ham at a big hamfest that made a plug that plugs into the 240 v 40 amp dedicated electric clothes drier circuit that is connected to 60 amp 240 v romex that snakes it's way to the shack where there is a surface mounted receptacle on a work bench or something and when this ham that I do not know wants to play radio with his amp he apparently unplugs the drier, plugs in his makeshift cord and runs his amp on 240v.

Of course I told him that the whole thing is not to code and he said something like he never leaves it plugged in and it can easily be removed and is no different than an extension chord and that it is just temporary until he pays an electrician to make it all good, but he would require a new circuit breaker panel since his is already full and probably an upgrade to his 100 amp service. Not sure I got all the details correct, but I would totally not recommend that though since it is not to code. He did mention it was a game changer though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 11:07:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mach:

I talked to a ham at a big hamfest that made a plug that plugs into the 240 v 40 amp dedicated electric clothes drier circuit that is connected to 60 amp 240 v romex that snakes it's way to the shack where there is a surface mounted receptacle on a work bench or something and when this ham that I do not know wants to play radio with his amp he apparently unplugs the drier, plugs in his makeshift cord and runs his amp on 240v.

Of course I told him that the whole thing is not to code and he said something like he never leaves it plugged in and it can easily be removed and is no different than an extension chord and that it is just temporary until he pays an electrician to make it all good, but he would require a new circuit breaker panel since his is already full and probably an upgrade to his 100 amp service. Not sure I got all the details correct, but I would totally not recommend that though since it is not to code. He did mention it was a game changer though.
View Quote

Haha yeah I have a plan...

My drier is way on the other side of the house in the garage, so running a cable from there wouldn't work.  But the previous owner had a jet tub installed in the master bathroom.  There is a breaker panel in the hall closet on the other side of the wall from my shack room.  I think this panel was installed for the tub and might have 240V present.  If so, it would be trivial to pop through the wall with a 240V outlet inside the closet of the shack room and run an extension that way.

That hard part will be getting the wife's Christmas decorations out of the hall closet to do the work.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top