Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Pay it forward HAM RADIO (Page 6 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Looking into getting my Tech and General License. Does anyone have Study material?

Also recommendations on portable Radios for Bug-out and hunting?

Reply or IM me please.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Jeremyc482:
Looking into getting my Tech and General License. Does anyone have Study material?

Also recommendations on portable Radios for Bug-out and hunting?

Reply or IM me please.

Exactly one page back is an entire bit of this thread about how to study for the exams and suggestions on guides.  You should at least read one page back.

As or your other question, though, look at the Baofeng radios once you get your ticket... UV-5 models.  They're all inexpensive and every ham I've talked to who has bought one loves them for what they are... (dual band HTs).  They can be found on ebay and all over the internet for about 50 - 80 bucks each, about as cheap as you're going to find a good dual band radio.

If you want sturdy, look into the Yaesus and ICom hand helds that are submersible (they're tested to "supposedly" mil standard)  like the VX-6r, or if you don't care about submersible, the VX-5r is tested to mil spec for vibration at least... or the FT-250... (I'm a fan of Yaesu radios).

If you need portable HF (only with the General license) then you can't beat the Yaesu FT-817.  ICom makes a similar portable HF rig, but I've never used it.  I loved my 817 and regret selling it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got some electronic keyers I've built from W7QC's plans that'd I'd be willing to send to good homes.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I have several (read 80 +) feet of 300 ohm ladder line for building roll up J pole antennas.  I'd be willing to donate the whole roll or a couple of feet to anyone, or a group, wanting to make some J Pole antennas.

Link Posted: 6/28/2013 9:19:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By davebl:
I have several (read 80 +) feet of 300 ohm ladder line for building roll up J pole antennas.  I'd be willing to donate the whole roll or a couple of feet to anyone, or a group, wanting to make some J Pole antennas.

Ha! I just bought a 100ft roll of 300 ohm twin lead for just this very purpose last night. Figures I'd check here this morning and find this post. Hope someone takes you up on it. I'm planning to try building a clone of the Ed Fong roll up. Just need to get myself a few feet of RG174. He uses that for the trap and for the feed line. I was thinking I might sub RG58 for the feed line. Anyone have thoughts on that? I need to find some RG58, too. Where I live I can find pretty much everything except non-rg6 coax locally.  

Link Posted: 6/28/2013 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Yorknoken:
I've got some electronic keyers I've built from W7QC's plans that'd I'd be willing to send to good homes.

Message sent.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mackelroy:
I need to find some RG58, too.

How much, and what quality? I have some spare sitting around, but it's probably not the greatest (tandy, etc). For a portable J-pole, not the worst in the world. But not something I'd use for permanent/long term installs.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 3:38:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aloxite] [#8]

Originally Posted By Yorknoken:

I'd give one a good home.

ETA - After 25 years I'm finally working on my CW again.  I hadn't used it since I passed my novice test.  I'm back up to 5wpm or so.  I've got a straight key but I know there must be some reason everyone is running these new fangled keyers.

Link Posted: 6/30/2013 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By NAM:
Originally Posted By mackelroy:
I need to find some RG58, too.

How much, and what quality? I have some spare sitting around, but it's probably not the greatest (tandy, etc). For a portable J-pole, not the worst in the world. But not something I'd use for permanent/long term installs.

That's exactly what I want to do with it - build a portable antenna or two. Thinking of trying a clone of the Ed Fong portable.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Those that have messaged me regarding the keyers I'm not ignoring you, I'm in the process of putting the documentation together for what you'll have to add in order for it to work correctly (two potentiometers and 4 momentary push buttons) I just don't want to send you something that cost me a bit of money and have it be useless for your needs. Thank you for your patience.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 11:38:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eet-ee] [#11]
Withdrawn, everything was recycled.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 11:44:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aloxite] [#12]
Anyone interested in a DIY Arduino?   I've got some Atmel 328 chips with UNO boot loaders.  Also have sockets, 5v regulators, LEDs, push button switches, neccesary resistors and capacitors, pin headers ect.

Era - I also have 20mhz crystals.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been looking into doing some Arduino stuff. But at this stage, I don't think I would know what to do with the stuff you are offering.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 6:07:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aloxite] [#14]
Well you would probably want to start out with a ready built board, if for no other reason than it gives you the ability to program the DIY version easily.  For me what the DIY stuff lets you do is incorporate  the parts you want to control on the same board.  You can do essentially the same thing by mounting a protosheild on a regular arduino board, but sometimes it's just cool to build your own stuff. There are tons of tutorials and the web and YouTube.   He is one of them:

Eta- you don't need to etch your own board.  You can just use some proto board.  

Link Posted: 7/10/2013 6:43:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aloxite] [#15]
I bought a bunch of 5 watt, 1k ohm metal oxide film resistors.  If someone is interested in building a dummy load I can send you 20 of them. Since they are 5%s I'm going to sort them with the Fluke and try to put together several sets that will end up being 50 ohms when in parallel.

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the following set of Wouxun UV2D accessories up for grabs: Battery, AA tray, antenna, lanyard, charging cradle and cord.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PowerPointRanger:
I have the following set of Wouxun UV2D accessories up for grabs: Battery, AA tray, antenna, lanyard, charging cradle and cord.
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/7936/e76n.jpg
View Quote

Would that antenna fit a Baofeng UV5R?
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 9:51:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thederrick106] [#18]
View Quote

I am interested in the Battery, AA tray, and charger...

Antenna sticks up a bit to far on my uv5ra, might work ok with a rubber washer?
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

I'd be interested in trying the antenna if it would fit.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 12:47:05 AM EDT
[#20]
And it's all gone to Pevrs and Derrick. PM me your shipping info and I'll have it your way shortly.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 11:13:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yorknoken] [#21]
I've graduated from the radio I inherited from another arfcommer so it's up for grabs. I'd like to give it to a newly licensed ham, Icom IC-3200A 2m/70cm radio that has been rewired to have an always on blue LED for the display (I've used it as a base station). Anderson powerpole connectors. First to PM me with a callsign with license date within the past 120 days gets it, shipping will be to QRZ.com address only.

Spoken for by jte3470
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#22]
And it's all gone to Pevrs and Derrick. PM me your shipping info and I'll have it your way shortly.
View Quote

Got it!  Thank you!!!  Extra battery for my Wouxun will come in very handy!

Now I need to find something to offer up...
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 9:13:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Libertyhillguy] [#23]
looking for RTL-SDR dongle

I am cash strapped

even for $20
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Libertyhillguy:
looking for RTL-SDR dongle

I am cash strapped

even for $20
View Quote

How does $11.00 sound?

Bill
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By davebl:

View Quote

IM sent
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 11:18:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone need an Icom OPC-478U compatible chinese cable? I have one extra because the seller didn't meet their delivery requirement, and it came a couple days later. Turns out it just got delayed 3 days in the postal service.

FDTI chipset, authentic as far as the FDTI driver can tell.

I'll ship it USPS next week. PM me.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 12:12:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eet-ee] [#27]
free to a good home, an Icom V8 2m HT with cheap eBay special battery eliminator and a beat up antenna that still seems to work.

I thought I sold off all my Icom radios but found this when cleaning.  I'm not the original owner, and it came from a smoker.  No charger or battery, just the battery eliminator (size of battery pack that will plug into a 12V/13.8V supply or battery).

claimed, will ship on 1/4/14.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 11:23:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I have the Signalink cables for a 8 pin Icom radio. Free to whoever needs them. I will ship it out USPS to whoever wants it.

http://imgur.com/bGsLyOC

http://i.imgur.com/ZqelBH7.jpg?1
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By eet-ee:
free to a good home, an Icom V8 2m HT with cheap eBay special battery eliminator and a beat up antenna that still seems to work.

claimed, will ship on 1/4/14.
View Quote

Good.  I've seen that there since you posted it and if it was still there today I was going to PM you about it, contingent on a couple of questions.  Specifically, would something like that be leaps and bounds ahead of a Baofeng HT (with no programming issues).
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:35:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbl23] [#30]
I have 60 1k ohm 3 watt resistors left that I ordered for a dummy load that I am building. The minimum order quantity was 100 pcs and I used forty of them. I have three sets of twenty free to anyone interested. Twenty of these are needed for a single 50 ohm dummy load. Shoot me an IM with an address and I will put them in the mail.

ETA: ALL GONE!

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:00:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By sbl23:
I have 60 1k ohm 3 watt resistors left that I ordered for a dummy load that I am building. The minimum order quantity was 100 pcs and I used forty of them. I have three sets of twenty free to anyone interested. Twenty of these are needed for a single 50 ohm dummy load. Shoot me an IM with an address and I will put them in the mail.

http://i.imgur.com/SEUtSvBl.jpg
View Quote

Ill build a dummy load!
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

IM sent
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By tesla120:

Ill build a dummy load!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Ill build a dummy load!

Originally Posted By 77biker34:

IM sent

Dropped both off at the post office today. Should have them by the 29th according to the machine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I have 60 20 1k ohm 3 watt resistors left that I ordered for a dummy load that I am building. The minimum order quantity was 100 pcs and I used forty of them. I have three one set of twenty free to anyone interested. Twenty of these are needed for a single 50 ohm dummy load. Shoot me an IM with an address and I will put them in the mail.

ETA: qty update
View Quote

I could use a dummy load too.   I'm sent

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I put them in the mail this evening. You should have them by 1/31.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:22:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nighthawk08] [#36]
Free Micronta Field Strength/SWR Tester.  The REF/FWD switch broke.  Radio Shack model # 21-525B
Same as one pictured.    Just pay shipping.

Gone!
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:57:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Nighthawk08:
Free Micronta Field Strength/SWR Tester.  The REF/FWD switch broke.  Radio Shack model # 21-525B

http://www.1stopretroshop.com/photos/k43632.jpg
View Quote

Still have?  How much would shipping be to AL?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Nighthawk08:

Gone!
View Quote

Got it here safe and sound.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 7:30:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SCWolverine] [#39]
ETA: Piccolo gets the switch!

Who needs a coax switch?

3 way...first one who needs and claims, gets.  I received in this thread, and will give back in the same.

Custom Lettering Included
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 7:45:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: piccolo] [#40]
I can sure use it.

ETA

My antenna farm has gotten to the point where I am tired of switching coaxes around.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 7:53:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Pic, IM me your address and I'll get it out asap.

SCW
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Well I'm looking for the "ARRL Ham Radio License Manual", Second Edition copyright 2010. Will be taking my technician exam in late June.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Would also like a Tech license manual as well as a General as I think I'd like to tackle both exams at one sitting.

My local library has a 1st ed. 2008 version for the Tech, and a 2011 copy for the General class. Are these current enough?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Guys looking for a manual, check out KB6NU's no nonsense study guide.  It's free online and will teach you rather than engrained questions and answers.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By EOTechHWS:
Well I'm looking for the "ARRL Ham Radio License Manual", Second Edition copyright 2010. Will be taking my technician exam in late June.
View Quote

Note that the Technician question pool expires on June 30, 2014 - so you're probably getting the last shot at these questions.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Guys looking for a manual, check out KB6NU's no nonsense study guide.  It's free online and will teach you rather than engrained questions and answers.
View Quote

Already have his general study guide.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:32:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eet-ee] [#47]
Free to a good home:

ARRL book - Small Antennas for Small Spaces by Steve Ford WB8MIY

IM me if you'd like it.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:32:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Erik_O] [#48]
I have a "Nifty Mini-Manual" for Yaesu FT-897 and FT-897D up for grabs for the first I'll take it

Edit: It done been grabbed.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Since I won the FO Time  HT, I have too many HTs now.

Starting tomorrow, 9/1/14 next team member to get a new license(not upgrade) will get my lightly used Baofeng GT-3.    I'll even program in local repeaters before shipping.

Mods I hope this is ok?

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:56:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eet-ee] [#50]
no interest, so it all went to the recycle bin
Page / 9
Pay it forward HAM RADIO (Page 6 of 9)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top