Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Pay it forward HAM RADIO (Page 5 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Pace 5621 3 position coax switch. I picked it up many moons ago, have used it since. Supposedly rated at 1KW. HF.

I purchased an Alpha Delta. As soon as it arrives, the Pace will be up for grabs.

Link Posted: 3/22/2012 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By NAM:
Pace 5621 3 position coax switch. I picked it up many moons ago, have used it since. Supposedly rated at 1KW. HF.

I purchased an Alpha Delta. As soon as it arrives, the Pace will be up for grabs.

http://i44.tinypic.com/11h9kwo.jpg

if still avail, I'm needing one
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By SCWolverine:

http://i44.tinypic.com/11h9kwo.jpg

if still avail, I'm needing one

It's available, and has your name on it. Just got the Alpha Delta in today, so gimme a day or two to verify all is good, and if so, I'll get the Pace out to you.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 10:58:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BHD44] [#4]
I have a Technician Study Guide up for grabs. Shoot me an email thru arfcom.

I need the Extra study guide if anybody has one to spare.

Thanks BHD44

The Book is going to member NAEP3 out on deployment..
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the ARRL Extra Study Guide and Gordon's Extra CDs.

(I just upgraded this morning so I am done with them)

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 7:23:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BHD44] [#6]
Originally Posted By Racsan:

Thanks BHD44
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By BHD44:

Thanks BHD44

The Book is going to member tailwhip out on deployment..

Thanks for the guide.

Link Posted: 4/12/2012 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Racsan:

Thanks BHD44

On its way.

Link Posted: 4/14/2012 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By NAEP3:

Thanks BHD44

Thanks for the guide.

No Problem, Just make sure you walk out of the test with an extra license. At least General
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 10:05:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By NAEP3:

Thanks BHD44

Thanks for the guide.

No Problem, Just make sure you walk out of the test with an extra license. At least General

SVARC usually does testing once a month at the Minot Red Cross building. That's where I upgraded to General.

http://www.qsl.net/svarc/testing.htm

Link Posted: 5/6/2012 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Icom MB-58.

I haven't owned anything icom in some time. Not sure what this was from.

Link Posted: 5/6/2012 10:25:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Icom MB-58.

http://i49.tinypic.com/oaabye.jpg

That bracket fits the IC-207 and 208.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
Icom MB-58.

Odd thing is.... I've owned neither.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Icom MB-58.

It seems it will fit some others too. I googled it and came up with the 207/208 right away.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#15]

It seems it will fit some others too. I googled it and came up with the 207/208 right away.

Oh I'm not doubting you....just saying that I have no clue where I got it from.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#16]
[Oh I'm not doubting you....just saying that I have no clue where I got it from.

Some crackhead stole it from someone else and when the cops were gettin ready to nail him he threw it into your barn.

Now don't go telling me your barn is 800 yards from the road because I'm simply going to answer, "Gee! He musta had a pretty good throwing arm!"
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Icom MB-58.

I've got an IC-208H.  I could put that to good use if it has not been spoken for.  I'll see if I can't come up with something to pay forward.

Link Posted: 6/7/2012 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Lifesaver:
Icom MB-58.

I've got an IC-208H.  I could put that to good use if it has not been spoken for.  I'll see if I can't come up with something to pay forward.

Still sitting on my desk. IM me your info, and I'll get it in the mail.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 7:13:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HankEllis] [#19]
Free for the taking.

"Morse Code for Radio Amateurs" by Roger Cooke, G3LDI published by the RSGB (Radio Society of Great Britain).
FFI: http://www.arrl.org/shop/Morse-Code-for-Radio-Amateurs-10th-Edition/

First email or PM with your info gets it post paid.

I have a winner and it will be in the mail this week.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 5:22:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: piccolo] [#20]
error
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you, Hank.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 8:59:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CS223] [#22]
I have a NIB QRZ Industries uVB-1 Voice Digitizer. It's a cigarette size circuit board that was intended for a contest voice keyer. Never got around to incorporating it into a keyer. I believe it holds about 8 seconds of voice. Old technology by todays standards.

Next I have a Realistic Pro-30 hand held scanner, 16 channels, VHF/UHF goes from 30 mHz to 512 mHz. I probably still have the manual for it. It takes 3 watch batteries for the memory and AA's for the radio. It works perfectly.

All that I ask is that you be a ham.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll take the PRO-30. IM Sent.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 11:07:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eet-ee] [#24]
Partial parts kit for a QRP SWR meter.  I don't remember where and when I picked it up, but it includes the small parts, a photocopy of the article on how to build it, and a small meter movement.  You have to supply the case and connectors.  You have to wind two toroids (included).  Cleaning house and if I haven't built it yet I never will, so I just want it gone.

I also have a few crystals in the ham bands I can spare if anyone wants them:

(2) (1) 3.541 MHz
(4) 3.579545 MHz (colorburst xtals)
(4) (3) 7.159090 MHz

I also have a crapload of unmarked crystals, and I'm too lazy to build a circuit to figure out what they are.  They appear to be two or three distinct types.  I can include some if interested.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll take the 3.541 and 7.15 crystals for my "new" Knight T-60 transmitter.
Thanks! IM sent.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 4:46:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a very nice Gap Challenger DX antenna (HF/VHF vertical) available free to a good home, has to be FTF though as the logistics of shipping would be ridiculous. Located in VT but could meet you in parts of VT, NH, or MA.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Not sure if this is the right place, but...

Does anyone have recent General and Extra study guides I could borrow?
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:23:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By SirSqueeboo:

Not sure if this is the right place, but...

Does anyone have recent General and Extra study guides I could borrow?

I have an in date General book and just expired Extra book. PM me your address if you'd like them. Those and www.hamexam.org should get you through. I also have the Technician that I'd include if you'll pass them along to someone else who needs them when you're through with them.

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I am looking to become a HAM. I would want to study for the Tech and General privileges concurrently. Anyone with some study guides that I can get? We can work out a trade. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By D6T:
I have a very nice Gap Challenger DX antenna (HF/VHF vertical) available free to a good home, has to be FTF though as the logistics of shipping would be ridiculous. Located in VT but could meet you in parts of VT, NH, or MA.

Sent you a PM

I am very interested in this... I am located in upstate NY.  

Link Posted: 11/7/2012 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm a deployed Airman wanting to get his technican and general license when I get back to the states in late April/early March. Does anyone either have advice on purchasing my first set up or would like to sell me my first set up? I've only recently began studying, so I'm not at the level of knowing what all I need yet.

Any and all help/offers/mentorship is appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ProgressCheck:
I'm a deployed Airman wanting to get his technican and general license when I get back to the states in late April/early March. Does anyone either have advice on purchasing my first set up or would like to sell me my first set up? I've only recently began studying, so I'm not at the level of knowing what all I need yet.

This is a pay it forward thread... check out this thread and a couple good websites I found usefull.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/646491_the_CAN_T_FAIL_thread_for_getting_a_ham_radio_license_and_learning_basic_VHF_UHF_operations.html&page=28&anc=11290249#i11290249
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/486162_Everything_you_wanted_to_know_about_ham_radio_but_were_too_confused_to_ask_.html
www.hamexam.org
www.hamwhisperer.com/

As far as equipment what are you looking to do? VHF? HF? Portable short range comm? Portable long range comm? Base station in your house? Mobile in your vehicle?
I would start a thread with what you want to accomplish, your knowledge base, your funding and then we can give advise from there.  You can get a basic/ cheapish HT (hand held) that will allow you to operate VHF and UHF and utilized repeater systems for the 100 range.  You can put a mobile in your vehicle along with a good antenna in about the 200 range.  Unless you know what used stuff to look for a new HF rig will run you 500+.
Feel free to send me a message if you have more specific questions.  I would be glad to help.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ProgressCheck:

Send me a good stateside address.  I'll send you your first 2 meter HT, complete with charger.  Stay safe and get home so you can use it (once you get your license).
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#34]
You, Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. I greatly appreciate it, and will pay it forward when I get set up in the ham world. Although, as far as safety is concerned, I'm in Qatar. Odds are good I'll be safe. Still appreciated though.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 9:45:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DanishM1Garand] [#35]
I'll send you a Motorola UHF HT with charger as well. Tough as woodpecker lips but not frequency agile like ham gear. You can find a local ham or a Motorola shop to program it to your local frequencies.

Get your General in the same sitting and I'll send a 10m FM rig. It is a converted LMR (Business Band) rig as well

PM me an address.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 9:53:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Hey, guys. I'm looking to take Tech through Extra in one fell swoop. My mother is 66 and she wants to do the same. We are looking for the manuals as neither of us do well reading a monitor for a long time. We will be happy to contribute to the community once we test.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 12:08:25 AM EDT
[#37]
If you cant do computer the ARRL will sell you all the books. Also the public library.

Good luck getting all 3 most people do the first two. Only people I know who did three in a swoop are engineers.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 2:42:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DiverDwn] [#38]
Originally Posted By tesla120:
If you cant do computer the ARRL will sell you all the books. Also the public library.

Good luck getting all 3 most people do the first two. Only people I know who did three in a swoop are engineers.

It's just looking at a monitor for too long loses me. It might have something to do with the fact that we are both terribly dyslexic. Also, we have taken it as a challenge to do all three. Accepting crazy challenges runs in the family.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Look in to Ham Test Online. If you get bored you log out, then when you come back it picks up at The section you left off. Let it do The work of keeping track of where you are and what you have to do. Also if it tells you you are ready to schedule a test, and you do and then fail it, you can get your money back.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 2:50:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eet-ee] [#40]
Parts kit for a QRP SWR meter. I don't remember where and when I picked it up, but it includes the small parts, a photocopy of the article on how to build it, and a small meter movement.  You have to wind two toroids (included).  Would make a great addition to a homemade QRP transmitter, you could build it right into the transmitter box.

I also have a few crystals in the ham bands if anyone wants them:

(1) 3.541 MHz
(3) 7.159090 MHz

All parts shipped.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 4:17:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BHD44] [#41]
I have up for grabs the extra study guide manual and cds.  Spoken for.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By eet-ee:
Parts kit for a QRP SWR meter. I don't remember where and when I picked it up, but it includes the small parts, a photocopy of the article on how to build it, and a small meter movement.  You have to wind two toroids (included).  Would make a great addition to a homemade QRP transmitter, you could build it right into the transmitter box.

I also have a few crystals in the ham bands if anyone wants them:

(1) 3.541 MHz
(3) 7.159090 MHz

Email sent with rockmite  questions.
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 10:30:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: twentytwentyprojects] [#43]
Does anyone have a copy of the technician and general study guides that they would be interested in selling? I've gone through the resources on the web and am using them I just am more comfortable studying with a hard copy. I found em on Amazon but they are a little pricey. Thank you in advance!
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By twentytwentyprojects:
Does anyone have a copy of the technician and general study guides that they would be interested in selling? I've gone through the resources on the web and am using them I just am more comfortable studying with a hard copy. I found em on Amazon but they are a little pricey. Thank you in advance!

Check your email
-P
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#45]
I am beginning to start studying for the Technical if anybody has any good study aids.   I want to do the tech first and learn as much as I can then take the general, learn as much and then extra.  If I feel I need the extra.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#46]
QRZ.com (free) and Hamtestonline.com a minor fee worked for me. Study for both tech and general. The tests are quite similar.

Originally Posted By deruch:
I am beginning to start studying for the Technical if anybody has any good study aids.   I want to do the tech first and learn as much as I can then take the general, learn as much and then extra.  If I feel I need the extra.

Link Posted: 2/26/2013 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By D6T:

What do you think it would cost to ship? If it's less than $300 it's cheaper than buying one new. I'm definitely interested if so.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 4:02:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Aggie91] [#48]

Look in to Ham Test Online. If you get bored you log out, then when you come back it picks up at The section you left off. Let it do The work of keeping track of where you are and what you have to do. Also if it tells you you are ready to schedule a test, and you do and then fail it, you can get your money back.

This site is GREAT!!!     Ham Test Online rocked for me.  I was only able to cram about 7 hrs into study time (Starting @ 4p Fri eve), took my tech & passed at 1p on Sat March 9th 2013!!!!  I tried for general, but didn't make it this time.  I have NO affiliation with HTOL, but I do know that for 24.95, they will get my business when I go to sit for my general ticket!

Now, I need to buy a radio, and learn how to turn it on . . .

I will be looking thru this forum a lot as I have time trying to learn what I need for a good radio.  Thanks to ALL who have posted links & info for us newbs!

Edit to add: the link to the prep site I used is:   http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com

Link Posted: 5/16/2013 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#49]
I used the same site.  Studied for a few hours and took the test last Saturday.  Worked well for me.  Not affiliated with the site.
Just waiting on my call sign.  Starting to research radios.

Originally Posted By Aggie91:

This site is GREAT!!!     Ham Test Online rocked for me.  I was only able to cram about 7 hrs into study time (Starting @ 4p Fri eve), took my tech & passed at 1p on Sat March 9th 2013!!!!  I tried for general, but didn't make it this time.  I have NO affiliation with HTOL, but I do know that for 24.95, they will get my business when I go to sit for my general ticket!

Now, I need to buy a radio, and learn how to turn it on . . .

I will be looking thru this forum a lot as I have time trying to learn what I need for a good radio.  Thanks to ALL who have posted links & info for us newbs!

Edit to add: the link to the prep site I used is:   http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com

Link Posted: 5/28/2013 6:24:01 AM EDT
[#50]
From a SK estate. Deal is that the local club members get first dibs then after that it goes out for the general ham community. I'm posting it now so if you're interested you can start planning. Cutoff date for the club members is 05 June 2013.

70 FT ROHN 25 TOWER WITH KT-34XA 6 ELEMENT BEAM, SEVERAL UHF & VHF AND INVERTED VEE ANTENNAS AND ALL COAX AND ROTOR:
FREE, NEED TO TAKE DOWN AND HAUL OFF.

The note in the email stated that as long as the tower and antenna can be professionally taken down, it's yours. I'd jump on it but I can't have a tower due to HOA restrictions.

Location is Baton Rouge, LA.
Page / 9
Pay it forward HAM RADIO (Page 5 of 9)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top