Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Recipe?????? Cooking time??????
 (foot tapping, hands on hips)

Kitties
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 1:28:28 AM EDT
[#2]
gave ya the recipe already....almost..... meat- seared in the pan, little bit of pork fat in first (chopped bacon), then when searing operation complete, add the taters, onions, carrots, and garlic cloves (I prefer them chopped finely) and dry onion soup mix. then cover with H2O cover the pot and cook till desired amount of cookage has been acheived. for my particular roast, this took about 1 hour with the fire I had going....more or less depending on the amount of heat ect..... I almost always use a thermometer to check temp of meat...... 145ish range is where I generally stop cooking beef.....then after resting 10 minutes or so, temp will be 155ish and almost perfect medium to medium rare......

then enjoy with your beverage of choice and is best shared with a friend or two.....
Link Posted: 6/11/2010 12:42:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Bump
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#4]
bump  any new receipes
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 2:39:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deaconpyre] [#5]
Thanks for the bump guys! I never would have thought to look for this.
I just got a DO for free in an order I placed recently. But I'm not sure what # it is.

It's approx. 10" across and 3.75" deep. Anyone know what that would be?
</img />
It's not a Lodge or anything. But you can't beat free!

Link Posted: 6/12/2010 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/12/2010 10:15:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KG5S] [#8]
Link Posted: 6/13/2010 12:30:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Deaconpyre:
Thanks for the bump guys! I never would have thought to look for this.

I just got a DO for free in an order I placed recently. But I'm not sure what # it is.
It's approx. 10" across and 3.75" deep. Anyone know what that would be?

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy31/Deaconpyre/002.jpg</img />

It's not a Lodge or anything. But you can't beat free!

That's a horrible, HORRIBLE, useless piece of cast iron you have there.

Send it to me.  I will dispose of it for you.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#10]
sure could use a fix of DO dinner pics..... with recipes of course...... fixed the roast again...let it cook over low,low fire ALL day...... it was scrumptious and falling apart tender. To dang hot in the house to cook.

so Bump to the top to remind you guys this thread is still here.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 12:49:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got to post some pics of some dutch oven stands my dad has made.  They are steel with aluminum wind screens, optional grille, totally awesome.  

I made some diced potato's in mine over the 4th, with bacon, onion, peppers, and GARLIC. They were badass.  

Why anyone cooks in something other than cast iron or a weber grill is beyond me.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Pilk:
http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=9592

cooking the dinner...

http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=9591

getting set to eat the dinner..... roast beef-medium, taters, carrots, onions, and garlic.....seasoned with salt and pepper.
very tasty meal.

old post but your still around

what diameter is that fire pit setup you have ?
reason I ask is I have probably 200 of those landscaping bricks and have been looking for a good use for them
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 12:44:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I got a 12 QT for my B'day June first. First thing I cooked in it was a 2lb meat loaf. Other then some slight burning on the bottom (my fault) best Meat loaf my 82 yro mother had ever ate. And she grew up with woodstove a DO cooking on the farm.
Not a real fan of the foil, but if it works for you ok. I stripped the preseasoning from it and reseasoned it in the Coper Clad Range before use. And corn bread baked over a fire with care, has a smokey lite flavor.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By bigrob88:
Originally Posted By Pilk:
http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=9592

cooking the dinner...

http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=9591

getting set to eat the dinner..... roast beef-medium, taters, carrots, onions, and garlic.....seasoned with salt and pepper.
very tasty meal.

old post but your still around

what diameter is that fire pit setup you have ?
reason I ask is I have probably 200 of those landscaping bricks and have been looking for a good use for them

4 feet or so....

Link Posted: 11/27/2010 11:53:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#15]
tag cuz this dropped off my subscribed list.....
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Everyone at work a couple months ago got their choice between a jacket, roll along collapsable cooler, or a 12 in Lodge DO

The VAST majority chose the DO

Brings me up to two DOs, and about 10 other cast iron skillets etc
Link Posted: 11/28/2010 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By Det0nate:

Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

......And any thoughts on controlling the fire are most welcome.  I have a fire in our makeshift fire pit EVERY night in the spring and fall when it isn't raining.  Most of the time, it's just me and my glass of whatever big fat California red I have open at the moment,.......

Somehow I missed this question last time I read this thread, and I don't see anyone else giving the answer, so allow me to step in.

On all the Dutch ovens with legs and rim tops like this one from Lodge, there will be a number on the lid indicating the diameter.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/images/logic_2qt_8qtcdo_subcat.jpg

Simple rule (Think baseball) &#34;Three up, Three down&#34;.

Say yours is a 14

Put more 3 charcoal briquet's on top. ––––-(14+3)- Total of 17

Put less 3 charcoal briquet's on bottom. ––(14-3)- Total of 11

This gives you a fairly regular 325 - 350 deg. oven.

Clever

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 8:32:18 AM EDT
[#18]
sweet 101
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Someday I need to try a cake or cobbler, but right now my favorite is this:

Add a bit of oil, saute one onion that has been chopped.
Add a pound of chopped up bacon
Add on pound of hamburger meat
Add some salt, pepper, and garlic powder
Cook for about half an hour
Add one sliced bell pepper
cook for about 10 minutes
Add 4 or so potatos  cubed
Cook for about 30 minutes
Add a pound or two of smoked sausage
Cook for 20 or so more minutes
Stir at each step by the way.....

After this it is ready.....it might stop your heart, but it's damn good!

Link Posted: 3/7/2011 10:15:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#20]
Originally Posted By patrickcudd:
Someday I need to try a cake or cobbler . . .

Here's one that I've done a couple of times. It's not that hard but it will amaze your friends when they see what you've done on a campfire.
(I seem to recall there being some confusion about the ingredients. Something about needing to double the cream cheese part to go along with the double batch of cake mix . . . I think . .. oh shit, you'll figure it out.):

Dutch Oven Black Forest Ribbon Cake

2 packages cream cheese
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
6 tablespoons milk
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 boxes chocolate cake mix
2 cans chocolate frosting
1 can cherry pie filling

Combine cream cheese, 2 eggs and 1/4 cup sugar in a bowl and mix until smooth. Gradually add three tablespoons of milk, two tablespoons of butter and one tablespoon of cornstarch and vanilla, beating well.
In another bowl, mix chocolate cake mixes as directed on package, adding the required ingredients. Spread half of the chocolate batter in a 14-inch Dutch oven lined with quick-release foil. Spoon cream cheese mixture evenly over chocolate batter, then top with the remaining chocolate batter.
Bake about 45 minutes over fire on high hook, with top coals. A tooth-pick comes out clean when cake is done. Let cool, then spread frosting over cake and top with pie filling.

Link Posted: 7/9/2011 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Love this tread. Can we keep it going...?
Any new stuff/pics?
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm about to break out my DOs. I dazzled a friend who came over and cooked some elk burger in one of my cast iron skillets. I told him that they're about all that I've cooked on since I left home (1970). All that my mother ever cooked with was cast iron.
M
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#23]
i have cooked a lot with charcoal. when out camping or in the backyard with a fire going i find it easier to use coals from the fire. if you set your logs like a log cabin it leaves you room to get the coals from the bottom. at the wood burns the coals fall in the center. just have to leave the logs far enough apart to get ur shovel in there. its nice to have the coals always ready to go on the ovens and not having to get the charcoal ready. it takes some practice getting used to how much to put. its fun to cook with the fire coals and more like the old days. if things turn south you might not able to get charcoal from the store.

stuck
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By stuckincal:
i have cooked a lot with charcoal. when out camping or in the backyard with a fire going i find it easier to use coals from the fire. if you set your logs like a log cabin it leaves you room to get the coals from the bottom. at the wood burns the coals fall in the center. just have to leave the logs far enough apart to get ur shovel in there. its nice to have the coals always ready to go on the ovens and not having to get the charcoal ready. it takes some practice getting used to how much to put. its fun to cook with the fire coals and more like the old days. if things turn south you might not able to get charcoal from the store.

stuck

Requesting pics next time you cook with these coals––so I can see the amount?

I make fires in the backyard firepit (really a hole in the ground) all the time.  I build log cabin style, but probably smaller than the fires you make.  Still, I'd love to know how to cook with those coals and have some success without burning the first fifty tries.  I'm thinkin' that visuals would help a little.

Kitties
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey quick question all you cast iron guys. How does the Academy brand "Outdoor Gourmet" stuff stack up against
Lodge brand? I have a 14 regular DO from lodge, but was looking at the prices, and there's a big difference in the
price of the outdoor gourmet vs. the lodge. I know you usually get what you pay for, so how do they stack up?
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 7:51:37 AM EDT
[#26]
i will take some pictures for u next time and get them up on here.

as far as other brands of cast iron stay away from ones not made in the USA. they tend to be thinner or thicker in spots. when u cook with them it will have hot/cool spots. i would stick with lodge. they cost more but there made a lot better. also when buying any dutch oven make sure u get it out of the box and make sure the lid fits good. when i buy one i will get a couple out and look for the best fit in lids.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By TX_CO4:
Hey quick question all you cast iron guys. How does the Academy brand "Outdoor Gourmet" stuff stack up against
Lodge brand? I have a 14 regular DO from lodge, but was looking at the prices, and there's a big difference in the
price of the outdoor gourmet vs. the lodge. I know you usually get what you pay for, so how do they stack up?

China-made = no way I'm buying or using.

Buy Lodge or used Griswald or Wagner.  It's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#28]
I went through some pictures and came across this one. if you look close you can see some of the bottom logs are spaced enough to get the fireplace shovel in between. i like to have 2 or 3 logs facing one way for the bottom. 3 works good as u get 2 spot to get coals. then u stack ur wood on top. u can stack them up a couple layers. i like to use thicker logs for the bottom so they stay around longer and keep a spot to get the coals out. the upper logs burn and drop the coals in between. we where just getting it started so its not the best picture. it works a lot better if not in a camp ground fire ring. also a pair of dutch oven gloves or another type help. the fire gets pretty hot with the coals building up. warms ur hands up pretty fast when getting coals out. a bigger shovel would help but makes it harder to get into the fire with out tearing it apart. we did a roast and in another pan did a loaf of bread. i have not had a problem with burning things. i thought i would. wood coals are different sizes but if u get close to the amount u would need with charcoal it works pretty good. another tool needed is a small broom made from wood so it does not melt. it helps with getting the ashes off the top when they have burned down. hopefully this makes some sense and helps out. i will work on a better picture.

also look at local state parts. i have taken a couple class from local places. if ur just getting started its nice to see other people doing it as well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2011 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#29]
a good easy one to take camping

i put this on here some where not sure if it was this thread of another.

1-2 cans sliced peachs.
1 white/yellow cake mix
chunks of butter
cinnamon.

all u have to do it dump the peachs in. put the cake mix on top of it. dont mix it in. put some chunks of butter on top and then add cinnamon on top of that. cook for a while and u have a easy cobbler. it works well for camping as the peachs are in a can and already cut up. cake mix is in a box. the hardest part is the butter.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 9:28:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PAPI] [#30]
My contribution :

Camp-Cook.com
Dutch Oven Cooking
http://www.camp-cook.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=9e159771188a3e06e247f882a5d320ea

FREEE DUTCH OVEN COOKBOOK
The 2nd edition of the T&TTT Cookbook is ready for downloading. It contains 159 all-new recipes for camp cooking in 93 pages of a 1.3MB PDF file
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44133

PAPI
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#31]
I made a great meatloaf the other night in my DO but didn't think about taking any pics
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I get Emails from a lady that shares dutch oven recipies. Here  is a good one.

Recipes
TO: More recipients

Well here we go with a recipe for dutch oven cooking.   I am sending the Green Chilie Chicken Enchilada recipe first as it seemed to be the most popular.  I must qualify this a bit as I am not one of those cooks who precisely measures everything.  I kind of just put it together and hope for the best.  Having said that, I will give you the recipe for a casserole size.  Of course, for a Dutch Oven, depending on the size of the oven, you might have to double or triple these ingredients.

Chicken, I usually cook up some, but on Saturday I used canned chicken and it turned out well.  I buy it at Sam's so have those pretty big cans.  One would probably be enough for a casserole.  If you like more meat, put in more.  When I cook my own I use a package of thighs, or breasts and cook them first.  Then chop or shred the meat.
Cream of chicken soup, 1 can
Cream of mushroom soup, 1 can
A bit of water or broth to rinse the cans
Chopped onion, I use at least one whole onion
Garlic-minced, to taste
Chopped green chilies, to taste
Shredded colby or cheddar cheese or the colby/jack mix
Corn Tortillas

Mix the chicken with the soups, water, onion, garlic, and chilies.  Cut or tear the corn tortillas in fourths. Layer first the tortillas, then mixture, then cheese in a casserole or Dutch Oven.  I usually do about three layers and top with lots of cheese.  Bake until everything is melty and bubbly.  

Hope this makes sense.  Let me know if you try it and how it turns out.  

Happy Cookin
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#33]
gonna try this casserole sometime this week...... sounds friggin good.

thanks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#34]

1-2 cans sliced peachs.

1 white/yellow cake mix

chunks of butter

cinnamon.

all u have to do it dump the peachs in. put the cake mix on top of it. dont mix it in. put some chunks of butter on top and then add cinnamon on top of that. cook for a while and u have a easy cobbler. it works well for camping as the peachs are in a can and already cut up. cake mix is in a box. the hardest part is the butter.

We do that often, and do fresh-made "ice cream in a bag" to go with it

Just do:

1 cup half-and-half in a small zip bag with 2 T sugar and a little bit of vanilla

seal and put inside a slightly bigger zip bag with 1/2 cup coarse salt and some ice.  Seal and shake for several minutes until firm.  Rinse the seal on the inner bag before opening.

You can get a box with a few pounds of coarse salt at the grocery store in the spice section.  Usually comes in a red box labeled ice cream salt, and sells for under $2.

BTW for the peach cobbler, we do 1 box mix per can of peaches.  We have both mixed the two together before cooking, and without mixing, both turned out good.  Different but good.

Link Posted: 10/24/2011 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By hero2three:
I get Emails from a lady that shares dutch oven recipies. Here  is a good one.

Recipes
TO: More recipients

Well here we go with a recipe for dutch oven cooking.   I am sending the Green Chilie Chicken Enchilada recipe first as it seemed to be the most popular.  I must qualify this a bit as I am not one of those cooks who precisely measures everything.  I kind of just put it together and hope for the best.  Having said that, I will give you the recipe for a casserole size.  Of course, for a Dutch Oven, depending on the size of the oven, you might have to double or triple these ingredients.

Chicken, I usually cook up some, but on Saturday I used canned chicken and it turned out well.  I buy it at Sam's so have those pretty big cans.  One would probably be enough for a casserole.  If you like more meat, put in more.  When I cook my own I use a package of thighs, or breasts and cook them first.  Then chop or shred the meat.
Cream of chicken soup, 1 can
Cream of mushroom soup, 1 can
A bit of water or broth to rinse the cans
Chopped onion, I use at least one whole onion
Garlic-minced, to taste
Chopped green chilies, to taste
Shredded colby or cheddar cheese or the colby/jack mix
Corn Tortillas

Mix the chicken with the soups, water, onion, garlic, and chilies.  Cut or tear the corn tortillas in fourths. Layer first the tortillas, then mixture, then cheese in a casserole or Dutch Oven.  I usually do about three layers and top with lots of cheese.  Bake until everything is melty and bubbly.  

Hope this makes sense.  Let me know if you try it and how it turns out.  

Happy Cookin

well made this twice last week.....the trial run in a 10 inch....turned out kinda watery and a little bland, but tasted pretty good...... so then multiplied the recipe by 4 and made in my 14 inch deep, added season all salt and corn, less chicken stock trying to thicken it up a bit....it did somewhat, but still very loose......overall VERY good..... the group of guys I fed it to ate it up. they loved it.

also made the peach cobbler....

1-2 cans sliced peachs.
1 white/yellow cake mix
chunks of butter
cinnamon.

It was a hit also..... VERY good and EASY, like this recipe should be posted with the easy button.....

Link Posted: 11/7/2011 11:20:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I found this article interesting, so I tried seasoning my cast iron with flaxseed oil.  It seemed to work pretty well!

Flaxseed (linseed) oil for cast-iron seasoning

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 2:45:20 AM EDT
[#37]
I am bumping this again because I love this thread and don't want it to go away.

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 10:32:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Bumping this thread. I just got a 12" lodge for fathers day. I've been reading tons for stuff on the internet. I'm pretty handy in the kitchen but I'm looking for a good first meal to make in it. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By Taurus92AF:

Bumping this thread. I just got a 12" lodge for fathers day. I've been reading tons for stuff on the internet. I'm pretty handy in the kitchen but I'm looking for a good first meal to make in it. Any suggestions?
Bacon and potatoes. Easy to make, hard to screw up, helps with the seasoning. Plus, bacon!

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#40]
bump to keep it alive
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sierra5:
bump to keep it alive
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Oof.  How did I miss this thread?

Anyone have a good DIY design for a cooking table?
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I can't remember if there's a link in this thread to the other one.

A few more good recipes here:

Dutch Oven Cooking Recipes
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 3:00:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
I am bumping this again because I love this thread and don't want it to go away.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:43:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By BANDITOZ71:

View Quote

looking for this also!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Potjiekos
I'll post pics and recipe next time we do oxtail potjiekos.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#47]
anyone have anything new.....or old to revisit????????
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 2:27:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm gonna bump this because I just picked up my first camp dutch oven,
a 12" Lodge 8 quart and I'm in for advice and recipes
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:35:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#50]
Originally Posted By G1F2-EE:

looking for this also!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By G1F2-EE:
Originally Posted By BANDITOZ71:

looking for this also!!

Paging Pangea:  Pangea aisle 6 cleanup.

I need to make one.  3/16" steel plate about 36" wide, bend one end up about 6", weld 3/4" pipe nipples to the bottom, buy 4' 3/4" pipe screw it, start cooking.  That's my version anyway.  Pangea probably has an easier way to do it but it requires $100K worth of welding equipment to pull it off.  (ref. his 1" boiling pot!).

Page / 5
Dutch Oven Cooking 101 ! (Page 3 of 5)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top