Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 3:08:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#1]
Dude is a beast.

Extremely fast follow up shots, suppressor resting on the ruck, and still puts out impressive groups.

Where’s that barrel pointed.....

Mike_P, non magnified
Mike_P shooting MOA all day for AR15.com
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By akethan:

IIRC Mike-P also did some shooting for the Army.
View Quote
So...what does this mean exactly?
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By GAhunter95:
I'm not a precision shooter.  I am the host and range owner for the GA HTF MOA shoot.  A week before the first MOA shoot,  I realized that I may not have an AR15 rifle that would shoot sub MOA.  As the host, I felt I better have the hardware on hand to do the challenge successfully. LaRue Tactical had graciously offered to sponsor the shoot, and I probably should have asked for a loaner upper to be used during the shoot, but by the time I figured this all out, it was one week until show time.  There was no guarantee I could get a barrel or an upper in a week.   So off to the EE I went, and it was the only upper FS at that time that was proven to be sub MOA.  I wasn't looking for the #1 upper from the challenge, but there it was, and I was running out of time.

At MOA #1 there were 10 or 12 people who were unable to shoot sub MOA with their own gear but were able to with this upper using different types of ammo.

I have shot the upper at each MOA shoot and have been sub MOA.  I've shot for groups 4 times in 3 years.  My 5th time will be in 2 months.  It's nice having an upper that makes MOA stupid simple though
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By winddummy82:

@GAhunter95
what is the best 5 round MOA group you got out of it?
I'm not a precision shooter.  I am the host and range owner for the GA HTF MOA shoot.  A week before the first MOA shoot,  I realized that I may not have an AR15 rifle that would shoot sub MOA.  As the host, I felt I better have the hardware on hand to do the challenge successfully. LaRue Tactical had graciously offered to sponsor the shoot, and I probably should have asked for a loaner upper to be used during the shoot, but by the time I figured this all out, it was one week until show time.  There was no guarantee I could get a barrel or an upper in a week.   So off to the EE I went, and it was the only upper FS at that time that was proven to be sub MOA.  I wasn't looking for the #1 upper from the challenge, but there it was, and I was running out of time.

At MOA #1 there were 10 or 12 people who were unable to shoot sub MOA with their own gear but were able to with this upper using different types of ammo.

I have shot the upper at each MOA shoot and have been sub MOA.  I've shot for groups 4 times in 3 years.  My 5th time will be in 2 months.  It's nice having an upper that makes MOA stupid simple though
I think I'm part of that group that wasn't able to shoot MOA with my own gear but did with the upper in question at the first GAHTF MOA shoot.

A LOT of people borrowed that upper that day to shoot with it.  Many of us didn't have good equipment at the time but have since upgraded in the following years.

A bunch of the people that shot it that day used FGMM 77, the same match ammo MikeP apparently used.  A lot of folks shot sub MOA but nobody got close to a .340 average completed target.

I'd love to take another crack at it with that upper and FGMM or similar.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#5]
The LaRue hosted target link in the OP is dead. I found the target here:
https://www.larue.com/downloads/target-4up-download/target-1-moa-arfcom/
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By NotUrLawyer:
The LaRue hosted target link in the OP is dead. I found the target here:
https://www.larue.com/downloads/target-4up-download/target-1-moa-arfcom/
View Quote
Replaced with new URL.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 3:02:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jpgolffl] [#7]
I can't resist the Valkyrie anymore. Selling my Larue 5.56 barrel that sits at #8 on the board to make the switch. Who wants to beat me with my own barrel?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/WTS-Larue-18-Stealth-8-on-MOA-all-day-comp-/159-1807432/
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:42:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ-AR15] [#8]
Failed attempt today.  Didn't do all five since it wasn't good enough and these rounds are $1.50 a pop.  That... and the ungodly flyer in the center bolt face from group 3  Started in top right and worked counter-clockwise.  I clearly rushed groups 2 and 3.  Next time.

Upper is a 16" Teppo Jutsu 458 w/ a 1-4 AccuPower on a LaRue mount.  Lower is sporting the Vltor A5 buffer system and a MBT.  Barne's 300 TAC-TX over Lil Gun.  Harris Bipod and Crosstac rear bag.  Yes, I'm trimming my nails tonight.

Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:57:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GAhunter95] [#9]
Originally Posted By AZ-AR15:
Failed attempt today.  Didn't do all five since it wasn't good enough and these rounds are $1.50 a pop.  That... and the ungodly flyer in the center bolt face from group 3  Started in top right and worked counter-clockwise.  I clearly rushed groups 2 and 3.  Next time.

Upper is a 16" Teppo Jutsu 458 w/ a 1-4 AccuPower on a LaRue mount.  Lower is sporting the Vltor A5 buffer system and a MBT.  Barne's 300 TAC-TX over Lil Gun.  Harris Bipod and Crosstac rear bag.  Yes, I'm trimming my nails tonight.

https://i.imgur.com/sTeDOKd.jpg?1https://i.imgur.com/eMK1gEa.jpg?1https://i.imgur.com/TQ6LNw6.jpg?1
View Quote
I'm guessing that has to be the first 458 socom attempting the challenge!
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#10]

The rifle is certainly capable.  Me, on the other hand...
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AZ-AR15:

The rifle is certainly capable.  Me, on the other hand...
View Quote
Two groups on the right aren’t bad!
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#12]

I'm guessing that has to be the first 458 socom attempting the challenge!
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:15:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Might get out to the range again next month to give it another go.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Hello,

Considering purchasing a Harris S-BRM bipod which I often see in the Moa all day threads.

I watched a YouTube video on Bipod use and he had an atlas ($$$) but explained loading the bipod showing how the rifle can move back and forward on with the legs remaining in one position and explained the impact of this on how the rifle handles recoil when used with the rifle in a forward position relative to the feet at the shot.

Does the Harris S-BRM also load in this manner?
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#15]
@riflenoob

You can load either bipod, but the Atlas is easier. I’ve shot sub .2moa groups with both, and it usually comes down to trigger control and good fundamentals over equipment.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
@riflenoob

You can load either bipod, but the Atlas is easier. I’ve shot sub .2moa groups with both, and it usually comes down to trigger control and good fundamentals over equipment.
View Quote
This..... but you do not get multiple positions with the Harris.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Is it time for a new thread? Seems like the updates have slowed down in the results thread.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 8:27:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akethan] [#18]
Is it time for a new thread? Seems like the updates have slowed down in the results thread.
View Quote
LOL, shoot more. You had the only entry in January.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#19]

LOL, shoot more. You had the only entry in January.
View Quote
Yea, but I’m curious if a new thread, without the previously discussed issues would change that.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Yea, but I’m curious if a new thread, without the previously discussed issues would change that.
View Quote
It is what it is. If you don't want to post up that is up to you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 10:15:57 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes

Guess we could test the theory and just start a new thread.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote
That's a great way to become #1.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes

That’s not the driving force at all.

But..isn’t that how Mike_P got to the top in the challenge? LOL
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 10:48:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#25]
go or no go?

after reading through more of the thread I am thinking probably no, Ill have to get a smaller squeeze bag.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#26]
if someone would make this hot please. great article about barrel accuracy. ENJOY!

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/02/matt-sandy/the-best-ar-15-barrels-and-makers/?fbclid=IwAR3MvRfLul9J4pqqOkNLXQA23s2ICGPMfc45rvbfb8hwh2q35PK1Kd6RsG8
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
go or no go?

https://media.mwstatic.com/product-images/880x660/Primary/923/webp/923713.webp

after reading through more of the thread I am thinking probably no, Ill have to get a smaller squeeze bag.
View Quote
Not for a rear rest.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
Just so I understand, when the competition gets tough we start a new thread?

That should make it easier to get my name close to the top. That is after all what this is about, not a friendly competition.

Just trying to understand...
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:

Just so I understand, when the competition gets tough we start a new thread?

That should make it easier to get my name close to the top. That is after all what this is about, not a friendly competition.

Just trying to understand...
View Quote
You’re not understanding. The thread isn’t really getting a lot of attention, so I figured that a new thread may increase the participation. You know, kind of how the previous threads were superseded by that one. It had nothing to do with the blatant bias that that thread commonly showed.

And, the backhanded comments by 2 LT fanboys is hilarious. The thing that you are stating, the moving of a name to the top, is exactly what AKETHAN did with Mike_P and his LT..or what he purports as being his 100yd groups.

If it was friendly competition, and had no bearings on potential marketing, the questionable results would have been removed long ago. The results that clearly violated the rules would have also been removed, but they were not.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#30]

You’re not understanding. The thread isn’t really getting a lot of attention, so I figured that a new thread may increase the participation. You know, kind of how the previous threads were superseded by that one. It had nothing to do with the blatant bias that that thread commonly showed.

And, the backhanded comments by 2 LT fanboys is hilarious. The thing that you are stating, the moving of a name to the top, is exactly what AKETHAN did with Mike_P and his LT..or what he purports as being his 100yd groups.

If it was friendly competition, and had no bearings on potential marketing, the questionable results would have been removed long ago. The results that clearly violated the rules would have also been removed, but they were not.
View Quote
I kept all the original entries made from previous threads.  No previous entries were removed to bump up Mike P.

If you had a beef with his entry you should have spoke up when it was made not years after.

The first thread lasted 109 days and the second 93 days.  Today makes 2,037 days since I was given custody.  Hundreds of folks have been added since then of all makes and models.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:41:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: greenheadcaller] [#31]
So much whining ..... either shoot and let the guy running it decide and live with it it or don't shoot it

If someone thinks the whole thing is BS, don’t submit an entry, move along, and be happy.

If you think it’s BS, and you’ve already shot it...  ask the man to disregard your entry (pretty sure he offered to do so) move along, and be happy.

I have less faith in the intestinal fortitude of some in the shooting community every day lately, hopefully this will pass.

It’s an honor system shoot, not the holy grail.

(Although it would be the holy grail if I were #1) = humor intended
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:05:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: greenheadcaller] [#32]
Speaking of humor ..... here is another Wall of Claimer  

Claimant is Trollslayer

Post #5 in this linked thread

Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

.........Every time I test, Varget yields better accuracy than TAC (1/2 MOA vs 3/4 MOA at 200 yards).......
View Quote
Post #1 in this linked thread he says

......Accuracy without annealing is as good or better than I can shoot (<1/2 MOA).  I don't make bad ammo ...........
View Quote
Followed by this  one ....

the 20th post in the same thread

My rifle shoots reloads with up to ten sizings into 1/2 MOA at 200 yards without annealing.
View Quote
And again in this linked thread, post #34,   if it hasn't been deleted.

...In my own shooting without annealing, I see no accuracy loss over time (changes with increasing number of reloads).  The rifle and shooter get 1/2 MOA on first firing and with as many as ten reloads later, I'm still seeing 1/2 MOA...
View Quote
So, to review, not only is the claim 1/2 MOA, he allegedly shoots it as an inch or less at 200 ...... and suggesting he can do it 10 sessions, with the same unannealed brass batch reloaded each session.

Oh, and 1/2 MOA if he's shooting his 200 yard Varget test load.

Priceless.

Look out top five, you have some competition.

(I don't know if Trollslayer shoots a Larue, will have to wait and see)
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Realistically, that's probably an average (say 0.25-0.75). But TS likely has a die fit to his chamber, so I ain't putting money against him.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 3:11:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: greenheadcaller] [#34]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Realistically, that's probably an average (say 0.25-0.75). But TS likely has a die fit to his chamber, so I ain't putting money against him.
View Quote
Time will tell ..... Will be looking for his verified 200 yard submission.

I do agree with you though HPRBro.... it really shouldn't be hard for him, all he's gotta do is use one of his varget loads, easy peasy ...... after all HE says "EVERY TIME"  he tests it, its 1/2 MOA at 200...... Post #5 linked above.

In the linked post, he even went so far as to note his accuracy tests are typically around 100 round tests (at 200 yds of course).

The accuracy and SD numbers given above are for large sample tests (# of samples, n>20, typically about 100 samples).  
View Quote
Throwing up a sheet at 200 and banging out 25 at 1/2 MOA should be no inconvenience considering how strong the force is in this one.

Every Stinkin Time, Varget, 200 yards, 1/2 MOA..... never a mistake.....now that's impressive.

Must be one heck of a wind doper, or shooting in a tube.

Every Time
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 12:06:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Waiting to shoot my new Bergara XLR B17 LRP 6 mm creed mounted w/ MK5 HD 5-25 TMR.....I’m still on the wall of shame

Are we still bipod only, no rear support?  What is monopod verdict?
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By AmericanCheese:
Waiting to shoot my new Bergara XLR B17 LRP 6 mm creed mounted w/ MK5 HD 5-25 TMR.....I’m still on the wall of shame

Are we still bipod only, no rear support?  What is monopod verdict?
View Quote
No monopods rear squeeze bag is okay. Rules are posted  on the first page.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 10:12:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: erud] [#37]
Hey guys,
I don't ever shoot at 100, so this isn't the approved target or COF.  Just wanted to see what you think of this target I shot from prone with a sling (no bipod, sandbags, etc) last night at 600 yards with my old iron-sighted .308 and Sierra 2156's.  It's the NRA MR1 target, so the X-ring is a 6" circle.  I had 3 shots out of the 22 that were out of the x-ring that kept it from being sub-MOA, but I thought it was still pretty decent.

Link Posted: 3/27/2019 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By erud:
Hey guys,
I don't ever shoot at 100, so this isn't the approved target or COF.  Just wanted to see what you guys think of this target I shot from prone with a sling last night at 600 yards with my old iron-sighted .308 and Sierra 2156's.  It's the NRA MR1 target, so the X-ring is a 6" circle.  I had 3 shots out of the 22 that kept it from being MOA, but I thought it was still pretty decent.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2q87i93.png
View Quote
Good chutin’.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 8:29:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Not necessarily a submission but I shot this 52 yard group yesterday while testing SK Standard in the Vudoo 22LR rifle, bipod, rear squeeze bag.

Attachment Attached File

Bottom two groups were included even though they are larger due to scope adjustments.

I'm going to give it a go at 100 sometime soon.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By sigman68:
Not necessarily a submission but I shot this 52 yard group yesterday while testing SK Standard in the Vudoo 22LR rifle, bipod, rear squeeze bag.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26010/20191119_145921_jpg-1167429.JPG
Bottom two groups were included even though they are larger due to scope adjustments.

I'm going to give it a go at 100 sometime soon.
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#41]
LaRue's Siete, Not too shabby

Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:51:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#42]
Bone stock, cheap Anderson with a 6lb 13oz trigger and a used, $150 Mueller scope

still #77 with a .909 after all these years

Attachment Attached File

The Simple Life
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 10:25:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Lug1:
LaRue's Siete, Not too shabby

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/333874/larue-1197466.jpg
View Quote
I saw that when he posted it. I thought it wasn’t that impressive for a bolt gun that’s been in development for years. His semis shoot that well.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quite a few non-entry posts in the challenge thread lately, so I'll bump this.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I was looking for this as well. Been working on thing to make an entry in the bolt gun division. Here are two of my recent targets.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Kind of waiting for a sub .5” target…
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:36:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#46]
Another more recent target.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#47]
I am still working on shooting a sub .5 moa target. Playing with neck tension today shot these. Three groups with 1.5 thou tension and two with 3 thou tension. The gap seams to like less tension. Center group was clean cold bore. Group above, one of my best, was the second group. All 5 shot groups with the 139 Scenar over H4350. These targets suck for measuring groups but these 5 figure to about .524 moa. I definitely need a mirage cover for the can! Got very challenging after the third group!
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/28/2023 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#48]
And another. Should have skipped the coffee this am. Might have broken the elusive.5 moa.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#49]
This is my humble first attempt at working up a load to attempt the MOA challenge. Homemade rifle with a Larue 18” Predatar barrel, MBT, and a 5-25X56 Vortex Venom. Hand loaded 62gr FMJBT over 748. I doubt this combination is optimal for precision shooting but it’s what I had on hand.  Not sure what happened at 23.1.

Is it worth chasing MOA All Day with this bullet and powder combo, or should I order some 77s and Varget?  Or something else?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top