Page / 32
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By ar-jedi:

Originally Posted By Molon-Labe:

Not yet. But I plan to.

you can't be "half pregnant".  

ar-jedi

No, but you can prepare yourself to BE pregnant prior to pregnancy.              

Link Posted: 5/15/2011 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Passed Tech yesterday, going to study for the new General exam coming out July 1st.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Stoop:
Passed Tech yesterday, going to study for the new General exam coming out July 1st.

Link Posted: 5/15/2011 8:50:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: machinisttx] [#5]

Most likely, you can pass the current general test with a week or so of study...assuming there is another test you can get to before the deadline.

ETA: congrats!

Link Posted: 5/15/2011 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By machinisttx:

Most likely, you can pass the current general test with a week or so of study...assuming there is another test you can get to before the deadline.

Yep, strike while the iron is hot.
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Hello, my name is Derrick and I am studying for my tech.
I became interested in it a few weeks ago.
I got a Wouxun Dual Band HT a few days ago, did an unlock on it, and programed the gmrs and murs frequencies to it.  My intentions were to get my gmrs license and set up a simplex parrot repeater on a gmrs channel for use in our hunting camp when distances become to great for our standard rino 120 radio/gps units.  (we have used those for hunting for years now)  Well the more research i did the more i became interested in getting my tech license and starting a new hobby.  I was drawn to this due to my some-what of a prepper life style, and my outdoor life style.
At first I didn't really want to bother with using a radio any more then I already have to due to the fact that I am a police dispatcher.  I spend 40 hours a week on the phone and radio so.
But any ways this is where I am at.  I have two days of studying under my belt and am consistently getting a 70% or higher on the practice tests.  
I am starting lesson 17 of the ham whisperer and am finding that to be a great tool.  Hopefully when I am done with that I can consistently pass.
I plan on taking my test june 10th in VT. (live in upstate NY)
I have a good general mechanical knowledge and background.
I have a good computer background (build my own & fix them for friends)
I work on a lot of stuff, motorcycles, vehicles, small engines, guns, and so on.
I really SUCK AT MATH, and am having a lot of trouble with the electrical principals.
Everything else seems to be going pretty easy.

I had all I could do to get through my one math class in college (4year CJ degree)
I can use a calculator to balance my check book an thats about it.  I was just never able to learn it.

Can I get through the test without the math stuff?  I understand the process and information but I just have a block in my brain when it comes to math.  Maybe I can memorize some of it?  I can pass 4 out of 5 practice tests on average but still have some more learning to do. I really am only about half way through all of the tech information... Like I said I have gotten hung up on the math stuff.

Any suggestions or tips would be great.  

Originally Posted By Some_Beach:
First, thanks for everyone's offer to help!

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around power change calculations to find decibels. What is the key to these?

The simple answer is... Every time power doubles there will be a 3db increase.

So 20 watts doubles to 40, and you have a + 3db change. When 40 watts doubles to 80, you again have a + 3db change. If, however, 20 watts was increased to 80, you would have a + 6db change.

Thank you for that info... I was having trouble with that section to...

Originally Posted By fatdoggie:

Good deal. I've been studying about the same amount for several weeks. A lot of this stuff just doesn't "click" for me.

ETA: I'm curious about the software from hamexam.com. I'm reading through the info on their site and came across this:

This software features LIFETIME FREE UPDATES to registered users in good standing. What this means is that, for example, if you are planning on doing your Amateur (Ham Radio) exams now, you can take the Technician exam now, and when you're ready for the General or Extra, simply use the built-in self-update and study as you need to. The software is ready for you!

I don't understand... The software doesn't already have the General and Extra portions in it? After "updating" can you go back through the tech or general stuff to review at a later date?

You might try the free tools at hamexam.org (not .com) before you buy any software.  If you make an account (free), you'll have access to your stats and you can figure out what it is you need to focus on by question category.  You can also have it start weighting the questions so the ones you get wrong most often come up more often.

I just signed up @ hamexam.org... looks like a good tool so far.

Link Posted: 5/16/2011 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

<snip>

It's a great tool. Try the flash cards, the ones you miss will be thrown at you more often until you are "forced" to remember them.
I've always had trouble understanding the more complex mathematical theories until someone explains them to me. I can look at a book with formulas all day long but until they are explained and I actually use them, they are gibberish to me.
Which math problems are you having trouble with?
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 10:17:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thederrick106] [#9]
Originally Posted By Loadthis:
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

<snip>

It's a great tool. Try the flash cards, the ones you miss will be thrown at you more often until you are "forced" to remember them.
I've always had trouble understanding the more complex mathematical theories until someone explains them to me. I can look at a book with formulas all day long but until they are explained and I actually use them, they are gibberish to me.
Which math problems are you having trouble with?

all of them

I am using the following info from this thread to get my way through most of them now:

volts=ampsXohms  
watts=voltsXamps
every time the power doubles there is a 3db increase

For me it needs to be in easy terms/ thought process with no log rhythms... like i said, i struggled through math in high school and college.  I dropped pre-calc in high school in the first few weeks.

I just took my first practice exam on hamexam.org and got an 83%  Guess I am not doing to bad

ETA: currently @ work using a radio, and studying about radios
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Yep, strike while the iron is hot.

Actually I just want to get some microphone time under my belt now - I'm all book learnt right now - would like to get some practical experience before taking General.  My Yeasu FT-60r HT doesn't give me Tx on any General bands anyway.
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By JaxShooter:

Count me in as a mentor. Amateur Extra, instructor, and Volunteer Examiner.

dear VE,

what kind of facility do you administer the test at?

how much does the test session cost?

how long does a typical technician test take to complete?

can i take more than one test at a single sitting?

assuming i pass the technician test, does taking the general test cost extra?

can i skip taking the technician exam and just go right to general?

what happens after i pass –– you send the results somewhere and then what?

ar-jedi

Oh, Oh.... I know those!

ps - my VE creds showed up a weekend or two ago. ;-)

I'll have to poke into this thread every now and again.

AB

Link Posted: 5/17/2011 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Just passed my Tech and General tonight!!!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 10:48:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By bubbahana:

Congrats. Wasn't that hard, was it?

Link Posted: 5/17/2011 10:53:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#14]

CONGRATS!

questions for you...

1) your background, if i may ask?
2) how often/much did you study?
3) distance traveled to the exam site?
4) type of exam site?  (library, school, civic center, etc)
5) total time it took you to complete both exams?
6) total duration from when you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE?

thanks, and well done!

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/18/2011 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Congrats Brother!

I'll be testing tonight for the same.
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Another great ham thread.

Me, I prefer the spiral cut honey glazed stuff.  

KE5BQH
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Taking my Tech exam Saturday.  Getting 97 and 100 on QRZ practice tests regularly, so I am feeling very good.
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By Casey_MS:

Taking my Tech exam Saturday.  Getting 97 and 100 on QRZ practice tests regularly, so I am feeling very good.

Stop studying for tech and start studying for general....you'll pass both.

Link Posted: 5/18/2011 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Passed! Tech and General.

I went ahead and took the Extra exam (studied for a couple hours/day for about 4 days) and missed it by 2 questions. The math stuff eludes me in the extra class.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#20]

This.  Bunch of questions from my tech test were on the general.  Go for both!
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 11:27:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bubbahana] [#21]

CONGRATS!

questions for you...

1) your background, if i may ask?Always had an interest in electronics minimal formal electronics education.  Oh! I use radios at work
2) how often/much did you study? Roughly an hour a night.
3) distance traveled to the exam site? GoogleMaps says 21.8mi
4) type of exam site?  (library, school, civic center, etc) St. Rita of Cascia Church Parish Hall
5) total time it took you to complete both exams? I forgot to check the time but it took longer to grade both and do the paperwork afterwords.
6) total duration from when you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? Approximately two months.

thanks, and well done!
Thank you!!!
Oh and apparently it is your fault

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/19/2011 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#22]

I did start studying that today based on everyones advice.  

I downloaded and read the No-nonsense Guide that someone posted earlier for General.  I read through it today but I'm getting in the 70's right now in practice tests.  Not sure if am going to have enough time in the next day to remember it. I only have so much time to study.  

My original plan was to take General next month at a location just down the street.

I've only been studying for a week or so for the tech.   I don't have any concerns about it.  I have gone over every question on the practice tests multiple times after reading the whole AARL book.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Just checked again and my callsign finally showed up in the database.
Even if you don't think you'll pass, take the general. It won't cost you any extra and you might get a super easy test.
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Congrats to all of you that have joined us or upgraded! BRD also stands for Black Radio Disease...unless you're Bigdaddy...
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 2:38:12 AM EDT
[#25]

SO FAR –– 5 BRAND NEW HAMS
in this thread.  

CONGRATS TO ALL!

now then,
anyone with an upcoming test need help/assistance/motivation/etc?
anyone having trouble just getting started on the whole topic?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#26]
When a repeater is listed as 146.790 -100Hz does that mean the repeater's receive frequency is -600Hz, 146.190 with a 100Hz PL Tone?
One of the local nets is also listed as 146.790 +100Hz. Does this mean a +600Hz shift with a 100Hz PL tone for the receive freq?

Link Posted: 5/21/2011 9:26:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#27]
When a repeater is listed as 146.790 -100Hz does that mean the repeater's receive frequency is -600Hz, 146.190 with a 100Hz PL Tone?
One of the local nets is also listed as 146.790 +100Hz. Does this mean a +600Hz shift with a 100Hz PL tone for the receive freq?

yes, you have both of the above correct –– but just to clarify one thing regarding terminology for folks new to amateur radio repeaters:

the frequency listed for a given repeater (say in a repeater directory) is always the repeaters OUTPUT –– i.e., this is the frequency that the repeater transmits on and your radio receives on.  

the "offset", then, is the difference (for 2m, usually expressed in KHz or as a fraction of a MHz) to the repeaters INPUT (which in turn is the frequency your radio transmits on).  

the offset can be positive or negative, depending on where in the 2m or 70cm band the repeater is coordinated.  in the 2m band, the offset is *typically* 600KHz (0.600MHz) but there are repeaters with "odd offsets" such as 1000KHz (1MHz).  they are not trying to be difficult; it just happened that the (probably surplus) equipment they are using for the repeater is set up for a non-typical offset.  there is a very, very old repeater near me, one of the longest running in the country, and it has a 1MHz offset.  even though the equipment has been upgraded, because of band coordination they stick with the 1MHz offset.

note that in the 70cm band (440MHz) the standard offset is 5MHz.

(aside: sometimes you will hear the offset called the "split", but this is a term more used on HF when operating with different transmit and receive frequencies.  also, in spoken voice, you may hear the offset referred to as "up" or "down" for positive or negative offset, respectively –– e.g., "yes, i know that repeater, it's 146.790 up 600 with a PL of 100".)

from the Ham Radio 101 post on "how to find your local repeaters" (link)

the data in the repeater books/websites will be as such:

Middletown NJ 145.485 - 144.885 151.4 N2DR

this means that the repeater is located in Middletown, NJ, with the repeater output on 145.485MHz, with a (-) (=minus) offset. the usual offset for the 2M band is 600KHz, or 0.600MHz. so, 145.485-0.600=144.885MHz. this is thus the input frequency –– but note that in some repeater books (like the ARRL's), due to space reasons they show the offset direction but don't show the actual input frequency. others do, like the example above that i pulled off of the Artsci web page.

aside: with most modern rigs, the radio is pre-programmed with a 0.600MHz offset, and the offset direction is calculated automatically from the tuned frequency. one radio manufacturer calls this "ARS", for "automatic repeater shift". the radio "knows" which way the offset direction is because of the standardized 2M bandplan. that is, repeaters between M and N MHz offset UP, and repeaters between X and Y MHz offset DOWN. i don't remember offhand the exact frequencies for the repeater allocations in the 2M bandplan but you get the point.

the next number over in the example listing above, 151.4, is the PL/CTCSS tone frequency (in Hz). without setting up your radio to emit this PL tone while you are transmitting, the repeater will not activate. with most modern radios you first must set the PL tone frequency, and then enable transmission of it. both steps are required. finally, the last item in the repeater listing is the FCC callsign of the repeater trustee or repeater group, in this case N2DR.

hope that helps!

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks!
and whoops, I meant kHz (damn newbie)
I bought a new-in-box FT-270R ($75) from one of the guys at the club after testing and am trying to get the local repeaters set up in the memory.
Not much traffic in my area. I can hear the repeater spit out the time on the hour but that's about it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 10:16:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#29]
I bought a new-in-box FT-270R ($75) from one of the guys at the club after testing and am trying to get the local repeaters set up in the memory.

that's a good deal on a good radio, a tough and capable 2m rig.  
ps: get an 6xAA battery back for it, and a set of Lithum batteries, that setup makes a good SHTF nice-to-have.

Not much traffic in my area. I can hear the repeater spit out the time on the hour but that's about it.

that's because everyone in FL is on 80m HF phone, talking about their gall bladder surgery, or so it seems!  

ETA
once your callsign is assigned you can try some quick tests on the repeaters you can hit...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=22&t=604477#10323220

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I just passed my Tech and General This afternoon!

Wasn't even planning on taking the General but the test examiners talked me into it.

I bought a Yaesu FT-60 this morning.  Can't wait to get my call sign.
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#31]

SO FAR –– 5 BRAND NEW HAMS
in this thread.  

CONGRATS TO ALL!

now then,
anyone with an upcoming test need help/assistance/motivation/etc?
anyone having trouble just getting started on the whole topic?

ar-jedi

after today's reports, it's gotta be getting close to 10?  
Congrats All!
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Wasn't even planning on taking the General but the test examiners talked me into it.

CONGRATS!

questions for you...

4) type of exam site? (library, school, civic center, etc)
6) total duration from when you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE?

thanks, and well done!

and so it begins...

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/21/2011 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#33]

CONGRATS!

questions for you...

1) your background, if i may ask? Technical - ACCP Professional Level III in Radiography and other methods, and Radiation Safety Instructor
2) how often/much did you study?  Every day for a coupe weeks, over prepared for the tech really.
3) distance traveled to the exam site?  35 miles
4) type of exam site? (library, school, civic center, etc) Police Station / Courthouse
5) total time it took you to complete both exams?  30 minutes maybe, there was a break in the middle where they talked me into doing the General
6) total duration from when you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE?  About 2 weeks

thanks, and well done!

and so it begins...

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/21/2011 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#34]

First and foremost...

CONGRATULATIONS and Welcome to Ham Radio!

Second... THIS is why I tell people to study for both Tech and General!

Good on you, Casey!
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 11:23:09 PM EDT
[#35]

CONGRATS!!!

Dang, how many is this?

Wow!  

Link Posted: 5/21/2011 11:24:11 PM EDT
[#36]
OK, I've lost count... but to ALL of you new hams, a very big Congratulations!

And aren't you glad you studied for the General, too?

Link Posted: 5/22/2011 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Congratulations - I bought an FT-60 too - great little radio.  The next one,, my home base station, that is going to be the hard one to decide on.
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Callsign showed up today!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Just saw this thread.  I passed my tech and general on the 21st.  Just waiting on my name to pop up in the fcc database!
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By mdk2500:
Just saw this thread.  I passed my tech and general on the 21st.  Just waiting on my name to pop up in the fcc database!

Looks to be just about 6-7 days
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Looks to be just about 6-7 days

Yep, mine took 7 days.

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 9:08:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#42]
I passed my tech and general on the 21st.  Just waiting on my name to pop up in the fcc database!

CONGRATS!

questions for you...

thanks, and well done!

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#43]
I am in.  With all the disasters I want to be able to have contact with others.  What kind of lic. do I need?  Will a gen. or tech lic be what I need?

Thanks,

Chris1836
Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By Chris1836:

I am in.  With all the disasters I want to be able to have contact with others.  What kind of lic. do I need?  Will a gen. or tech lic be what I need?

Thanks,

Chris1836

There are three license classes. Technician, General, and Amateur Extra. The tech will get you on the air, but you won't be able to use a significant portion of the frequencies available. The general opens up a lot more, and with the extra, you can use any frequency available to amateurs.

IMO, if you're going to do it, study for the tech and general. Take both tests at the same time(it won't cost any more than just taking the tech). If you really want, you can study for, and take all three at the same time...it still won't cost any more than just taking the tech.

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#45]

Thanks,

Chris1836

There are three license classes. Technician, General, and Amateur Extra. The tech will get you on the air, but you won't be able to use a significant portion of the frequencies available. The general opens up a lot more, and with the extra, you can use any frequency available to amateurs.

IMO, if you're going to do it, study for the tech and general. Take both tests at the same time(it won't cost any more than just taking the tech). If you really want, you can study for, and take all three at the same time...it still won't cost any more than just taking the tech.

Ok, looks like those two will be what I will study for.  I also sent an e-mail to the Weatherford HAM group too.

Link Posted: 5/23/2011 11:51:52 PM EDT
[#46]

Thanks,

Chris1836

Ok, looks like those two will be what I will study for.  I also sent an e-mail to the Weatherford HAM group too.

I can't get the ARRL(arrl.org) website to come up right now, but you'll find a link to search for test sessions there. You can also find the ARRL's study guides and Q&A books on that site. There are links in this thread to several places where you can take practice tests online. Hooking up with the local guys is probably a good idea too. I need to do that myself.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#47]
I passed my tech and general on the 21st.  Just waiting on my name to pop up in the fcc database!

CONGRATS!

questions for you...

thanks, and well done!

ar-jedi

1:  I'm a network administrator for a school district.  MCSE and CCNA certs.  But I have a degree in economics and finance.  I do work with a lot of electronics and have built some of my own audio gear.

2:  Not that much.  Read some study guides and took a couple of practice tests a day the week before.  I do have somewhat of a photographic memory.  That helps.

3 and 4:  Two blocks from my front door  We had the exam next to my office at the school.  A friend knew some VE's that were willing to travel 100 miles each way to give us the exam in my small town.  Three of us took the tests that day.

5:  Less than thirty minutes testing time including them grading my first test before I took the general.

6:  I don't know.  I had thought about doing it over a year ago, looked a study guide for tech a little but couldn't find anywhere to take the test.  It was about a month from when I mentioned to my buddy who set up the test for us.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 2:50:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Loadthis] [#48]
Got my call! KK4CHJ Now to start talkin!

Next, a question...

What test equipment should one purchase (or build?) in order to get set up for multi band voice operations. What is really needed to start building antennas and making sure I don't fry my radio?

Dummy Load?
SWR/Watt Meter?
Auto Tuner?
Other?

And a suggestion to ar-jedi - your Ham Radio 101 thread needs a table of contents so I don't have to search for what I'm looking for
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#49]
What is really needed to start building antennas and making sure I don't fry my radio?

If you want to build antennas, there is no substitute for a decent antenna analyzer. My favorites are the RigExpert brand.
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#50]

Got my call! KK4CHJ Now to start talkin!

Next, a question...

What test equipment should one purchase (or build?) in order to get set up for multi band voice operations. What is really needed to start building antennas and making sure I don't fry my radio?

Dummy Load?

SWR/Watt Meter?

Auto Tuner?

Other?

And a suggestion to ar-jedi - your Ham Radio 101 thread needs a table of contents so I don't have to search for what I'm looking for

Go download echolink(free) and get it set up. If you don't have a set of headphones with a mic, you'll need one(or just a mic and speakers) to use the program.

Page / 32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top