BCM
User Panel

Page / 32
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By USNDOC:

Originally Posted By ar-jedi:

Originally Posted By USNDOC:

I downloaded a few kindle books and started reading them the other night.  

in case others might be interested –– what kindle books are you using and how would you rate them?

ARRL's General Q&A [Kindle Edition]

The Ham Whisperer's Technician Class License Course [Kindle Edition]

So far I am reading the whisperers guide and it seems ok.  I already know most of the material.  I could probably take the exam and pass it without studying.  Part of it is knowing how to take multiple choice tests.  I have a pretty good knack for spotting the correct answer :D

I also just bought these two and the Tech manual. Starting to read it tonight. Hoping I can test within a few weeks. Having it on Kindle means my books are always with me.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 6:06:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: A_Free_Man] [#2]
Originally Posted By Loadthis:

What test equipment should one purchase (or build?) in order to get set up for multi band voice operations. What is really needed to start building antennas and making sure I don't fry my radio?

Dummy Load?
SWR/Watt Meter?
Auto Tuner?
Other?

You need this:

http://www.hamuniverse.com/antennas.html    <––-  Read here

http://www.hamuniverse.com/n4jaantennabook.pdf    <–––– Right click and save this

A Dummy Load may help you adjust a tube amp or radio's output, but does not tell you anything about your antenna.

A good SWR/Watt meter is very helpful.  For myself, came highly recommended by a number of other hams,  For HF, the Daiwa CN-801HP.

You need a tuner, either manual or auto.  I like my LDG tuners, I have three for three different rigs.

You need an antenna analyzer, but can get by, in your shack, with the SWR meter.  

An SWR meter does not tell the whole story.

I got on the air quickly by modifying my SWL antenna, an 80 m dipole (120' long overall), adding legs in parallel for 40 meters (65' overall) and 20 meters (32.6' overall).  It was close like that, but I was able to tweek it a bit later.  Had I left it there, it would have still worked fine with a tuner.  Also, using a tuner allows me to operate on 17 meters, 15 meters, 12 meters, and 10 meters.

"You don't need a tuner, all you need to do is make your antenna resonant."  Yes, and no.  You cannot make one antenna work all the bands, and the entire bands, with low SWR.  The physics just work against you.  Get a tuner, and if the antenna is close, well, go play radio.

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Got my call! KK4CHJ

congrats, and welcome to the hobby!

And a suggestion to ar-jedi - your Ham Radio 101 thread needs a table of contents so I don't have to search for what I'm looking for

this is by design.  you learned something while scrolling around looking for what you wanted, didn't you?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Got my call! KK4CHJ

congrats, and welcome to the hobby!

And a suggestion to ar-jedi - your Ham Radio 101 thread needs a table of contents so I don't have to search for what I'm looking for

this is by design.  you learned something while scrolling around looking for what you wanted, didn't you?

ar-jedi

It's a Jedi mind trick.......

Link Posted: 5/24/2011 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#5]

ar-jedi

Well...yes
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 10:45:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Well...yes

then my work there is done.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/24/2011 11:29:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#7]
Originally Posted By A_Free_Man:
A Dummy Load may help you adjust a tube amp or radio's output, but does not tell you anything about your antenna.

No, but there is another excellent use for a dummy load - testing feedline.  Attach a dummy load at one end, transmitter and SWR meter (or antenna analyzer) at the other, and see what kind of response you get (at a variety of frequencies).
Link Posted: 5/25/2011 12:18:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Originally Posted By A_Free_Man:

No, but there is another excellent use for a dummy load - testing feedline.  Attach a dummy load at one end, transmitter and SWR meter (or antenna analyzer) at the other, and see what kind of response you get (at a variety of frequencies).
And you can use them to tx.   I carried out a successful QSO with a guy about 10 miles away on 10M voice. He had 100 watts into a dummy load in a basement.   I had 25 watts into an Antron 99 20ft in the air.   Was down in the noise, but those are the fun contacts.  No challenge when its all S9+20.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2011 4:00:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#9]

ATTN SLACKERS:

we need a status update!  now!
do you need help?  motivational counseling?  a mamby-pamby pillow?

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/26/2011 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Finished the technician study guide and am consistantly practice testing in the high 90's. Finished reading the general manual and am going through the study questions now. I'm pretty good on things although components make me want to tear my eyes out.

Don't think I need a mamby-pamby pillow although if it's comfortable...
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Some_Beach:
I'm pretty good on things although components make me want to tear my eyes out.

+1...and about 53% through the HamtestOnline Study guide..scheduled for General test 2nd Tues of June....
Link Posted: 5/26/2011 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#12]

do you know anything about hydraulics?  the reason i ask is because an electrical circuit can easily be shown to be similar to a hydraulic system, such as you might find on a tractor and which powers the loader bucket and such.

you'll have to get it from BigDaddy0004, he is quite upset that a stick broke off his tree.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/26/2011 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By SCWolverine:

+1...and about 53% through the HamtestOnline Study guide..scheduled for General test 2nd Tues of June....

any specific ones you are having problems with? there are tricks to remembering them.

Link Posted: 5/26/2011 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By tesla120:

any specific ones you are having problems with? there are tricks to remembering them.  
Really, it's probably more the circuits they combine into. I understand the theory behind each component although remembering each can get tricky, guess it's just a matter of memorization.

Oscillators, mixers, multipliers, modulators, etc. and how they're combined are difficult for me. Those and receiver structure.

Link Posted: 5/26/2011 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#15]

do you know anything about hydraulics?  the reason i ask is because an electrical circuit can easily be shown to be similar to a hydraulic system, such as you might find on a tractor and which powers the loader bucket and such.

you'll have to get it from BigDaddy0004, he is quite upset that a stick broke off his tree.

ar-jedi

I have a basic working understanding of hydraulics. I've seen a lot of this stuff before having taken physics in college, but it didn't stick all that well then either. it does help to have seen it before so more a matter of trying to isolate and learn it now. That being said, if you know of tricks to learn it, or a different perspective, it'd be great.

Link Posted: 5/26/2011 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#16]
That being said, if you know of tricks to learn it, or a different perspective, it'd be great.  

pick a problem from the General pool that you are having difficulty with, and we'll walk through it, then move onto the next one.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 12:36:03 AM EDT
[#17]
That being said, if you know of tricks to learn it, or a different perspective, it'd be great.  

pick a problem from the General pool that you are having difficulty with, and we'll walk through it, then move onto the next one.
ar-jedi

^^^ above ^^^

???

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/29/2011 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#18]

ar-jedi

^^^ above ^^^

???

ar-jedi

I haven't forgotten or disappeared, just have taken the weekend off from studying to hang out with the family. I'll be back to it most likely tomorrow night. I also wanted to see what I could work through using the book and boil down exactly what I have the most issues with. Try to get everything a little more black and white.

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 9:33:34 AM EDT
[#19]
just have taken the weekend off from studying to hang out with the family  

good plan!  

ps:
re your avatar...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1189981

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/29/2011 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Finished the technician study guide and am consistantly practice testing in the high 90's. Finished reading the general manual and am going through the study questions now. I'm pretty good on things although components make me want to tear my eyes out.

If you're doing 90% on the Tech practice tests by all means jump into the General, too.  You owe it to yourself.

Besides... you'll save $14 or $15.  

Link Posted: 5/31/2011 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#21]

just have taken the weekend off from studying to hang out with the family  

good plan!  

ps:

re your avatar...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1189981

ar-jedi

Great link, thanks for sharing!

Ok, having problems wrapping my head around power used when given an ohm load.

Example:

How many watts of electrical power are used if 400 VDC is supplied to an 800-ohm load?

I'm thinking a new perspective will help me understand why the formulas are combined.

Link Posted: 5/31/2011 12:00:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Loadthis] [#22]
Ok, having problems wrapping my head around power used when given an ohm load.

Example:

How many watts of electrical power are used if 400 VDC is supplied to an 800-ohm load?

I'm thinking a new perspective will help me understand why the formulas are combined.

See my post on page 4.

Power = E x I where E is Electro Motive Force or Volts, I is current in Amps.

With the question above, you need to find the Current (I) to figure the power. Using the Ohm Law triangle, I = E/R or Current = Volts/Resistance
I = 400V / 800Ohms, I = 0.5A
Now that we have the current, we can figure for power or Watts.
P = E x I or P = 400V x 0.5A, P = 200 Watts

Link Posted: 5/31/2011 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Took my Extra test this weekend.... missed it by 3 questions.... maybe I should have studied!   Will take it again in July.
Link Posted: 5/31/2011 8:38:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Some_Beach] [#24]
Another example I need help on:
What would be the voltage across a 50-ohm dummy load dissipating 1200 watts?
eta: I think I got it! So if P=EI and E=IR, the 1200=I*I*R or I^2*R. That would mean 1200/50=I^2 = 24. sq rt of 24 = 4.9 = I. Then E=P/I so 1200/4.9 = 245.

It's been a while since I've had algebra. Trying how to manipulate all these formulas on top of learning new material.

Link Posted: 5/31/2011 10:31:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Count me on on this... I'm not done reading this thread though.

I've been studying off and on for about 2 weeks.  Going to go for both tests like I learned here to do.  :)
Link Posted: 6/1/2011 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By boom-mug:
Count me on on this... I'm not done reading this thread though.

I've been studying off and on for about 2 weeks.  Going to go for both tests like I learned here to do.  :)

Oh and remember after you pass it is ar-jedi's fault!

Thanks to Tesla I got the general book from him on the Pay it forward thread, initially i was going to go for technician, but the Hive convinced me otherwise. It is a lot of fun and rewarding, and since most hams seem to be better prepared than most for emergency's you will not get looked at funny for prepping.
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SR712:
Took my Extra test this weekend.... missed it by 3 questions.... maybe I should have studied!   Will take it again in July.

Gee, SR712, that's too bad. You almost made it, though. Keep trying, buddy!
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Thanks, SR! You guys are so encouraging and are just a nice bunch of folks!
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 2:26:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Thanks, SR! You guys are so encouraging and are just a nice bunch of folks!

So I guess you have a study partner now!

What testing session did you go to? Was it where the tornado hit recently?
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#30]
HaHa. No tornadoes here, I went to the Gloucester Point VA test site with the Middle Peninsula ARC. It was in the Abington Rescue Squad building, which was a very nice building. Real desks and chairs with air conditioning. haha. Nice guys, although I am beginning to wonder now if wearing suspenders is a requirement of being a Ham. I am a member of HamTestOnline, so I will prolly use that prior to the test. There's a test at the end of July. There is also one in Chesapeake on June 18th, but my daughter graduates school that day, so I can't go. July is soon enough.

I did feel sorry for the guys that got hit with the tornadoes in VA, didn't FEMA refuse to help them? I wonder if the unfortunates in MA will have the same problem now that they got hit, too. I doubt it. Just thinking....
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 3:59:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stanprophet09] [#31]
HaHa. No tornadoes here, I went to the Gloucester Point VA test site with the Middle Peninsula ARC. It was in the Abington Rescue Squad building, which was a very nice building. Real desks and chairs with air conditioning. haha. Nice guys, although I am beginning to wonder now if wearing suspenders is a requirement of being a Ham. I am a member of HamTestOnline, so I will prolly use that prior to the test. There's a test at the end of July. There is also one in Chesapeake on June 18th, but my daughter graduates school that day, so I can't go. July is soon enough.

I did feel sorry for the guys that got hit with the tornadoes in VA, didn't FEMA refuse to help them? I wonder if the unfortunates in MA will have the same problem now that they got hit, too. I doubt it. Just thinking....

I was going to go to that test but i was not ready, I will be at the testing session in July to take the Extra exam, the XYL is going for tech, and my dad is going for General.
Link Posted: 6/2/2011 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#32]
I was in King and Queen County the night the tornado hit in Gloucester. It did't seem that bad even just 20 minutes away, but I guess thats how tornadoes work.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#33]

who needs help?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Studying for the tech and general this weekend, hopefully taking both tests next Saturday. Then I have ANOTHER hobby to spend all my money on. Damn you ARFCOM!!  
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 5:27:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By HAWK347:
Studying for the tech and general this weekend, hopefully taking both tests next Saturday. Then I have ANOTHER hobby to spend all my money on. Damn you ARFCOM!!  

Yes but you will use your radio's much more than your guns!

Link Posted: 6/4/2011 6:05:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SCWolverine] [#36]

Not ARFCOM-just ar-jedi he gets all the blame...my kids are now blaming ar-jedi for stuff here in the house...words out
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Not ARFCOM-just ar-jedi he gets all the blame...my kids are now blaming ar-jedi for stuff here in the house...words out

My wife said today after seeing the new antenna on my truck, " You are becoming a true redneck, Babe" I promptly corrected her and said, "It's not CB radio hun." I then said, "You can thank ar-jedi for this." to which she replied, "Who is ar-jedi?" at that point I cracked a beer and went outside.

Thanks ar-jedi for being my scape goat
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#38]

"No respect, I tell ya!"

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 6/9/2011 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Having trouble with this, I know how to find power used but, what's the formula for power dissipated?

How many watts are being dissipated when a current of 7.0 milliamperes flows through 1.25 kilohms?

* Correct AnswerA. Approximately 61 milliwatts
   * B. Approximately 39 milliwatts
   * C. Approximately 9 milliwatts
   * D. Approximately 11 milliwatts
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Having trouble with this, I know how to find power used but, what's the formula for power dissipated?

How many watts are being dissipated when a current of 7.0 milliamperes flows through 1.25 kilohms?

* Correct AnswerA. Approximately 61 milliwatts
   * B. Approximately 39 milliwatts
   * C. Approximately 9 milliwatts
   * D. Approximately 11 milliwatts
Take a look at my post on page 3 of this thread, about a third of the way down the page.

What you have is two knowns, amps and resistance in ohms, and what to find is watts. To find watts you need volts and amps. You've got amps so lets find volts. Using the EIR part you can find volts by multiplying amps X ohms. .007 x 1250 = 8.75 volts. Using the PIE part you find watts by multiplying amps X volts. .007 x 8.75 = 0.06125 watts. 61 milliwatts.

Any help?

Link Posted: 6/9/2011 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Helps a bunch, Thanks!
I have taken the practice tests so many times I started memorizing everything, which will get me a passing score but I really want to learn this stuff.
Link Posted: 6/9/2011 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Where would I find a page that describes all of the symbols that are on electronic schematics. I noticed there were some on practice tests.
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 12:09:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#43]
Originally Posted By LaughingClown:
Where would I find a page that describes all of the symbols that are on electronic schematics. I noticed there were some on practice tests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_symbol

see also:
http://www.google.com/search?q=schematic+symbols&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1104&bih=981

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 6/10/2011 12:12:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks, gunna be a loooong night!
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 12:19:50 AM EDT
[#45]

Here is a link to a study guide prepared by KB6NU (Dan Romanchik) that I used when I was studying and found helpful. It includes the symbols found on the Technician Class test.

Technician Class Study Guide by KB6NU

Link Posted: 6/10/2011 7:58:45 AM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By Jax2Chl:

Here is a link to a study guide prepared by KB6NU (Dan Romanchik) that I used when I was studying and found helpful. It includes the symbols found on the Technician Class test.

Technician Class Study Guide by KB6NU

I used his study guide and practice tests exclusively for my tech, passed 100%. highly recommended and since its free, you have nothing to loose.

Link Posted: 6/10/2011 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Thats the study guide I used as well. Scoring 90's in the practice tests with 9 hours to go!  
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Got my General this AM.
Now onward to Extra.
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 12:04:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By wganz:
Got my General this AM.
Now onward to Extra.

Excellent!  
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Passed tech and general this am.  
Page / 32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top