Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 32
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By Loadthis:

Hey gentlemen,

I'm currently studying to get my Technician license and started off scoring mid 50's on the practice tests. After a couple days reading I am up to 80%-90%. Next test in my area isn't til July so I've got plenty of time to prepare, may even go for the General. The study guides are great but I would like to learn more than just how to pass the test. There is a local club here that I'll be checking out soon.

I'm not quite sure how I want to start out, as far as equipment. I'm thinking a mobile setup would be best since I travel (and move) a lot.

My Dad (W6DX) has been urging me to get into Ham since I was a teenager and I am finally getting interested. I will talk to him this weekend and get his input. He may even have some gear I could try out before buying.

Thanks guys for the outstanding info here.

you have plenty of time to go for general, id start on it now, you have the tech down pat.

look for equipment that fits you, if you go general and want an all in one radio, the IC-7000 is a favorite here, though expensive, it does everything and quite well.

my only complaint with it is when running UHF VHF  the speaker has a little fuzz in it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 9:27:02 PM EDT
[#2]
When does the current General test expire and is replaced with a new one?
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By wganz:

When does the current General test expire and is replaced with a new one?

The 30th of next month.

Link Posted: 5/9/2011 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Ok –– checkpoint time –– who has made progress, and who needs help?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By ar-jedi:

ar-jedi

I need an extra week to cram everything in so I can test for tech and general at the same time.

Link Posted: 5/9/2011 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By machinisttx:
ar-jedi

I need an extra week to cram everything in so I can test for tech and general at the same time.  

i will see what i can do.  no promises.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/9/2011 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#7]
2/3 through the tech manual, testing consistently at upper 70's %. Plan on finishing it this week and starting the general manual this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#8]

ar-jedi

ar-jedi

I'm pretty confident that I'll pass the tech test. Just took 14 or 15 practice tests on qrz.com and scored anywhere from 86-96%. I'll cram for the next couple of days and maybe I'll pass the general.

Link Posted: 5/9/2011 11:44:31 PM EDT
[#9]

ar-jedi

ar-jedi

I'm pretty confident that I'll pass the tech test. Just took 14 or 15 practice tests on qrz.com and scored anywhere from 86-96%. I'll cram for the next couple of days and maybe I'll pass the general.

This ^ except I have my doubts about general, I haven't studied it much yet. I may be testing this Saturday now depending on if I get home in time from this TDY. I'm gonna try though, doesn't hurt a bit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Keep up the good work guys! Take the General even if you think you are going to fail it. It will give you some insight on what the test consists of and doesn't cost you anything extra. Who knows..you may get an "easy" test.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
Keep up the good work guys! Take the General even if you think you are going to fail it. It will give you some insight on what the test consists of and doesn't cost you anything extra. Who knows..you may get an "easy" test.

At our last session we had a guy try all three. He made it through Tech and General but we ran out of red ink on his Extra. At least he gave it a shot, though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#12]
For the guys who are studying the tech manual, and are taking practice tests with above 70% scores.  Start on the general test questions.  The general test is just a more in depth tech test.  Some of the questions on the general test are also on the tech test.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#13]
have misplaced my General Study Guide (or my wife has hidden) back to searching!
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#14]
In!

Am general studying for extra.   Me needs a vanity call sign.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Macumazahn:
In!

Am general studying for extra.   Me needs a vanity call sign.

One of the best things I heard last year was the VE saying, congratulations you're now an extra.  Now let's see how many you actually missed.  

Keep studying, you can pass this test.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SCWolverine:
have misplaced my General Study Guide (or my wife has hidden) back to searching!

If you don't find your study guide, here is a link to one I used when I was studying for my upgrade that I found useful (and free).

The No-Nonsense General Class License Study Guide

Link Posted: 5/10/2011 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Another VE and Extra willing to help.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#18]

found, sitting behind my laptop studying, again!
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#19]

found, sitting behind my laptop studying, again!

Lol I lose tools like that all the time. Find them right in front of me but somehow I didn't see them
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 9:09:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fatdoggie] [#20]

Originally Posted By Jax2Chl:
If you don't find your study guide, here is a link to one I used when I was studying for my upgrade that I found useful (and free).
+1
In addition to the guide, you might want to look online at diagrams for the Yagi, cubic-quad, and delta-loop antennas if you're not familiar with them.  Remembering the answers to those antenna questions are a lot easier if you can visualize the antenna.
I used this and the flash cards and practice tests from hamexam.org.  I studied an hour or so a day for the past week and I passed my Technician and General Exams tonight.
EDIT: hamexam.org, not .com - the hamexam.org site seems legit with no ads and I haven't received any spam from a Nigerian prince since signing up.  It didn't request any info other than an email address.  The hamexam.com site seems kinda sketchy.

Link Posted: 5/10/2011 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By fatdoggie:
I passed my Technician and General Exams tonight.

CONGRATS!

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#22]

I studied an hour or so a day for the past week and I passed my Technician and General Exams tonight.

Well Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 5/10/2011 9:39:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: machinisttx] [#23]

Originally Posted By Jax2Chl:

+1

In addition to the guide, you might want to look online at diagrams for the Yagi, cubic-quad, and delta-loop antennas if you're not familiar with them.  Remembering the answers to those antenna questions are a lot easier if you can visualize the antenna.

I used this and the flash cards and practice tests from hamexam.com.  I studied an hour or so a day for the past week and I passed my Technician and General Exams tonight.

Good deal. I've been studying about the same amount for several weeks. A lot of this stuff just doesn't "click" for me.

ETA: I'm curious about the software from hamexam.com. I'm reading through the info on their site and came across this:

This software features
LIFETIME FREE UPDATES to registered users in good standing. What this
means is that, for example, if you are planning on doing your Amateur
(Ham Radio) exams now, you can take the Technician exam now, and when
you're ready for the General or Extra, simply use the built-in
self-update and study as you need to. The software is ready for you!

I don't understand... The software doesn't already have the General and Extra portions in it? After "updating" can you go back through the tech or general stuff to review at a later date?

Link Posted: 5/10/2011 9:58:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JaxShooter] [#24]

CONGRATS!

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/10/2011 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JaxShooter:

CONGRATS!

ar-jedi

Nice shootin', fatdoggie!  Congrats!  
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Good deal. I've been studying about the same amount for several weeks. A lot of this stuff just doesn't "click" for me.
ETA: I'm curious about the software from hamexam.com. I'm reading through the info on their site and came across this:
This software features LIFETIME FREE UPDATES to registered users in good standing. What this means is that, for example, if you are planning on doing your Amateur (Ham Radio) exams now, you can take the Technician exam now, and when you're ready for the General or Extra, simply use the built-in self-update and study as you need to. The software is ready for you!

I don't understand... The software doesn't already have the General and Extra portions in it? After "updating" can you go back through the tech or general stuff to review at a later date?

You might try the free tools at hamexam.org (not .com) before you buy any software.  If you make an account (free), you'll have access to your stats and you can figure out what it is you need to focus on by question category.  You can also have it start weighting the questions so the ones you get wrong most often come up more often.

Link Posted: 5/10/2011 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Ah, ok. I didn't browse off the main page of their site.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#28]
hamexam.ORG helped me get my general and will help me get my extra!  It's very useful to help you target the areas you really need the work in, and you can tailor the exams to only show you questions from the areas you struggle in.

One thing I would recommend is that if you do the focused studying, make sure to reset all your stats after a while and take the full question pool again just so nothing slips out.

YOU CAN DO EEET!
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By BigDaddy0004:
Originally Posted By JaxShooter:

CONGRATS!

ar-jedi

Nice shootin', fatdoggie!  Congrats!  

Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Gentlemen,

My dad (W6DX) is an electrical engineer and has been a Ham since 1959 so I thought I'd ask him if he had any tricks for using and remembering Ohm's Law. He provided me with an amazingly simple way to understand and use Ohm's Law and I wanted to share it with you.

Originally Posted By: W6DX
Hi Son––

Ohm's Law is one of the most powerful problem solving tools in electronics.  I am still to this day amazed at how many seemingly difficult problems can be solved using the simple math of Ohm's Law.

I never tried to memorize all the variations of Ohm's Law; I still use the following simple memory trick to remember the formula.

Think of a triangle, as below.

Note that the triangle has three letters in alphabetical order:   E is Electro-Motive Force––usually abbreviated EMF––which is measured in Volts.  I is the current in Amperes, and R is resistance in Ohms.  You now have a picture of Ohm's Law, and from this you can figure out the voltage, current, or resistance in a circuit if you know any two of the three.  Here's how––

To find which ever one you need when you have the other two, cover the unknown symbol with your finger and the relationship to the other two will still be visible.  For example, to find E when you know I and R, just cover the E with your finger and what's left showing is I R, which is read "I times R."  To find R if you know E and I, just cover the R and you're left with E over I (E divided by I).  And to find I, cover it and you're left with E over R.

That's all there is to it––you only have to remember to write E, I, and R, in a triangle, in alphabetical order, and you have Ohm's Law mastered.  That's not too hard is it?  In all honesty, if I'm working several Ohm's Law problems, I still sometimes scribble E I R on the paper in the shape of a triangle, just to remind myself how the law works.

For Power––All you have to remember is that that Power is Volts x Amps.  One Volt times one Amp equals one Watt.  Five Volts times 3 Amperes equals 15 Watts.  Using the symbols from Ohm's law, power equals EMF times current, or P = EI.  If you can remember that one equation, you can solve any power problem.  Let's try one:

"How much power is dissipated in a 50 Ohm resistor when 2 Amperes flows through it?"

Answer:  Power = Voltage x Current.  You already know the Current, so the simple way to answer this problem is just to use Ohms law to find the unknown voltage, then multiply the Voltage and the Current to get the power.  So we go back to Ohm's law:

We know from our Ohm's Law triangle that E, the unknown Voltage, will be I x R, or  2 x 50, which is 100 Volts.  Now we can use the Power equation, P = EI  to solve for the Wattage:    

P = 100 x 2    so    P = 200 Watts

Actually, my physics friends would argue that you should always write the units and the unit equivalents, just to check your results––the units always have to be equal on both sides of an equation.  So in that respect, the following would be more descriptive:

P(Watts) =  100 Volts x 2 Amps   so  P = 200 Volt●Amps    (the dot between Volt and Amps means "multiply" or "times," which is pronounced "Volt Amps").  And we know that a Volt●Amp is a Watt, and we were looking for P in Watts, so the units are the same and P = 200 Watts

Another, more subtle way to solve the power problem is to substitute Ohm's law into the Power equation to make a new equation, like this:

Power is Volts x Amps, so P = EI, but in this case we don't know E.

But Ohm's Law tells what E is equal to.  We go back to the triangle, cover E with our finger, and see that E is I x R.  That means we can substitute I x R for E in our Power equation:

P = EI    thus becomes  P = ( I x R) x I      which is     P = I x I x R

We would usually write it this way:   P = I² R      where I² means "I squared."  So we do the math: P = 2 x 2 x 50   which equals 200 Watts.

If you are given Resistance and Volts and asked to find the Power, you can go back to the triangle and see that current  is E/R, so substituting that for I in the power equation (P = EI )  gives this:

P = E ( E / R )    which is    P = E² / R

Actually, you don't need to memorize P = I² R    or   P = E² / R because you can always derive them from Ohm's Law and the power equation.  At some point you will just remember it anyway, but for now just concentrate on learning Ohm's Law––the triangle version only, and the power equation.  All the other variations of the formulas (on the web page you listed below, for example) can be derived from the basic E=IR and P=EI.

And although you don't need to worry about it right now, Ohm's Law works on AC as well as DC, it works at Radio Frequencies, it works in reactive circuits as well as resistive ones, and it can be used to solve some amazingly complex problems.

You will also need to know how to figure the value of resistors in series and in parallel.  We can talk about that another time if you don't already know how to do it.

You now have all the tools you need to solve any Ohm's law problem and any power problem.  Just work with it a bit.  Hope this helps, son.

Dad

History lesson:

*  The term Volt, the unit of Electromotive Force, is named for Count Alessandro Volta, an early Italian scientist (1745-1827).  Voltage is analogous to pressure, like water pressure or air pressure––it's a force.
   * The unit of current, the Ampere, is named for Andre-Marie Ampere, an early French physicist and mathematician (1775-1836).  Current is analogous to the quantity of water or air that flows past a given point.  It's actually calculated in a certain number of electrons moving past a fixed point per second.
   * The unit of resistance, the Ohm, is named for Georg Simon Ohm, a German physicist (1789-1854).  Resistance is a characteristic of all physical objects that opposes the flow of current.
   * The unit of Power, the Watt, is named for James Watt (1736-1819), a Scottish inventor and mechanical engineer who improved the Newcomen steam engine and made it a practical source of power for the coming industrial revolution.  
   * Technically, Volt, Ohm, Ampere, and Watt should all be capitalized, since they are the names of real people.

Link Posted: 5/11/2011 2:25:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KB7DX] [#31]
Figuring wattage is just as simple. I use the         P        triangle. Where P is power in watts, I is the amperage and E is the voltage.                                                         ––––––––––-
                                                                     I  /  E    

You must know two of the units in the "pie". Say you have a circuit that runs on 12v and draws 2 amps.  Replace the I  with the amps (current) and the E with the voltage. Multiply the current by the volts to find "P" (watts) so 2 x 12 = 24 watts.  Easy peasy.  Similar for finding out how much current a circuit will draw. Say the device, a light bulb in this example, is a 60 watt unit. It runs on 115 volts.  By dividing the watts by the volts you can determine how many amps (current) the bulb draws. So 60 (P)  /  115 (E)  =  0.52 (I) amps.
                                                                      P
                                                                 ––––––––––-
                                                                  I   /   E

Edit formula text..
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Been studying for a few years off and on, but my Elmer (WD50) passed away last year

I'm really wanting to get mine and been scoring in the low 80's/upper 70's lately when I was in the high 90's back when I studied more

Got this tagged for some really good Ham/electronics info I haven't seen or really had to use since electronics school in the Navy in 92'
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#33]
The one liner to remember Ohms Law that was taught to me 30+ years ago in aircraft mechanics school.

"Stick the PIE in your EIR."

P
––––-
I x E

E
––––-
I x R

P = Power in Watts
I = Amps
E = Electromotive force in Volts
R = Resistance in Ohms

Take your thumb and cover the parameter you don't have and calculate from there. For example I have a 60w lightbulb plugged in a 12vdc circuit. What is the amperage? Cover I and the formula is P divided by E or 60 / 12 = 5 amps.

Worst case math is if you have say the values of Watts and Volts but want the know the Resistance. Here do two calculations. Taking that same 60w, 12vdc lightbulb we again do the P / E = I or 5 amps. Now cover the R and the formula is E divided by I or 12 / 5 = 2.4 ohms.

Doing two simple calculations saves having to remember and do those other squared and square root calculations.

The other thing from A&P school was a one-liner for the resistor color code. However it is now so politcally incorrect that even I will not repeat it on a public forum. Different time in 1977.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 12:02:41 AM EDT
[#34]

machinisttx,
don't you have something to report?  
ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 12:06:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#35]
ar-jedi. I offer my assistance in any way I can. This year, 2011 is my 20th year as a ham.

same here, April 1991.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/13/2011 12:49:03 AM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 5/13/2011 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#37]

machinisttx,

don't you have something to report?  

ar-jedi

I win?
I can haz CSCE for General. Now I must wait for my callsign to appear in the ULS database.

Link Posted: 5/13/2011 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Congrats machinisttx,

I was hoping to test tomorrow but I got stuck in VA an extra day. I plan on driving 2 hours each way on Wednesday to test at another club.
Then I need to find me a radio

For the skeptics -  I've only been studying for about a week and a half and am scoring 100's on the Tech practice exams and between 85-100 on General.  - you can do it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By HankEllis:
The one liner to remember Ohms Law that was taught to me 30+ years ago in aircraft mechanics school.

"Stick the PIE in your EIR."

P
––––-
I x E

E
––––-
I x R

P = Power in Watts
I = Amps
E = Electromotive force in Volts
R = Resistance in Ohms

Take your thumb and cover the parameter you don't have and calculate from there. For example I have a 60w lightbulb plugged in a 12vdc circuit. What is the amperage? Cover I and the formula is P divided by E or 60 / 12 = 5 amps.

Worst case math is if you have say the values of Watts and Volts but want the know the Resistance. Here do two calculations. Taking that same 60w, 12vdc lightbulb we again do the P / E = I or 5 amps. Now cover the R and the formula is E divided by I or 12 / 5 = 2.4 ohms.

Doing two simple calculations saves having to remember and do those other squared and square root calculations.

The other thing from A&P school was a one-liner for the resistor color code. However it is now so politcally incorrect that even I will not repeat it on a public forum. Different time in 1977.

Thank you, well said. I sometimes have a hard time with wordz.
IM me the offending phrase please...

Link Posted: 5/13/2011 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#40]

poor Violet...  

here is a compendium...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electronic_color_code_mnemonics

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#41]
ar-jedi. I offer my assistance in any way I can. This year, 2011 is my 20th year as a ham.

same here, April 1991.

ar-jedi

Wow, thats almost exactly when I got my ticket. I upgraded to Gen shortly afterwards.

Link Posted: 5/13/2011 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By Loadthis:

Congrats machinisttx,

I was hoping to test tomorrow but I got stuck in VA an extra day. I plan on driving 2 hours each way on Wednesday to test at another club.

Then I need to find me a radio

For the skeptics -  I've only been studying for about a week and a half and am scoring 100's on the Tech practice exams and between 85-100 on General.  - you can do it.

Thanks.

As above, it's not that hard.

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 12:02:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for posting this. I've been wanting to get into ham radio for a while now, and have been a bit overwhelmed at how to proceed. Hopefully going through this thread will help with that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:12:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Molon-Labe:
Thanks for posting this. I've been wanting to get into ham radio for a while now, and have been a bit overwhelmed at how to proceed. Hopefully going through this thread will help with that.

does that mean you are signed up?  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 6:03:26 AM EDT
[#45]

poor Violet...  

here is a compendium...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electronic_color_code_mnemonics

ar-jedi
The one we were taught was the second example with the black replacing bad. The tolerance mnemonic that went with it was "Get Some Now" Gold = 5%, Silver = 10%, No Color = 20%. This was in a public community college in a large metropolitan area in the midwest circa 1977. Geez. If that was done today Rev Jesse and NOW would come down on the teacher, school, the state and everybody else remotely connected to the individual and institution as well as splashed by CNN. As I remember the instructor was a retired Navy avionics tech and that was how he was taught. His real job after the Navy was an avionics inspector with TWA. Tough SOB but he did get us to understand basic electrical and electronic systems and got up to speed with a soldering iron.

Violet? It was all consentual.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Yes, I too learned about Violet and her ways in Navy electronics in '92. I had all but forgotten about her

Don't tell my wife.

AR-Jedi....sign me up. It's about time I finished this up, and maybe I'll take my checkride for my PPL after this

If you know of any Elmers in my area let me know, and maybe I can do more than just study it online...

Thanks guys for the trip down memory lane!
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By JoeRedman:
AR-Jedi....sign me up. It's about time I finished this up

i had pre-signed you up when you had expressed interest earlier in the thread.  
check the bottom of the top post.  you're committed now.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#48]
This is one of my goals, thank you.  More desire than time right now though with a sort of newborn, so will circle back in as soon as I can...
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#49]

ar-jedi

Not yet. But I plan to.

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#50]

ar-jedi

Not yet. But I plan to.

you can't be "half pregnant".  

ar-jedi
Page / 32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top