Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 1:14:06 PM EST
Somewhere along the lines I read a thread where someone was stating that you could get and use animal antibiotics fairly cheap for a SHTF survival scenario. Are there any Doctors on board here who can confirm or deny if these are viable alternatives??

(0_o)
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:15:58 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:45:36 PM EST


The antibiotics that my dog gets are the same antibiotics that are made for humans...except with a different name.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:49:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/9/2007 2:54:48 PM EST by GeorgiaBII]
Our cat takes the same blood pressure med that I do...

Every time I get hurt at work or sick the docs seem to love to give me antibiotics. Usually I don't feel that they are necessary and don't take them. I DO get them filled and store them for a rainy day if needed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:55:06 PM EST
A good friend of mine is a vet, and this topic has come up between him and I several times, he prescribes Amoxicillin ( spelling police are out there so beware) and other drugs, Heck he's even said several vets even prescribe Valium for dogs with anxiety disorders.
What goes in the human world is pretty much the same fare in the animal kingdom too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:28:32 PM EST
My dog's in severe pain, think my doc will perscribe some vicoden?



Great ideas. I've never had a dog that's needed antibiotics but it's good to know.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:42:54 PM EST
A lot of medications are interchangeable between animals and humans. They do prescribe valium for animals w/ anxiety disorders.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:45:06 PM EST
90% of the seemingly credible information I've read says that the pet medications are virtually the same as the human stuff, though it's possible the quality control and/or storage conditions aren't quite as good in some cases. To be honest, much of the other 10% was posted by "physicians" (not "doctors") who seemed to have an attitude but couldn't seem to point to a source to support their pronouncements. Still, if I had a choice I'd prefer something from the local Walgreens, but that wasn't the question.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:42:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By HistoryGradStudent:
A good friend of mine is a vet, and this topic has come up between him and I several times, he prescribes Amoxicillin ( spelling police are out there so beware) and other drugs, Heck he's even said several vets even prescribe Valium for dogs with anxiety disorders.
What goes in the human world is pretty much the same fare in the animal kingdom too.


my sisters dog gets prozac.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:08:40 PM EST

Originally Posted By myname:

Originally Posted By HistoryGradStudent:
A good friend of mine is a vet, and this topic has come up between him and I several times, he prescribes Amoxicillin ( spelling police are out there so beware) and other drugs, Heck he's even said several vets even prescribe Valium for dogs with anxiety disorders.
What goes in the human world is pretty much the same fare in the animal kingdom too.


my sisters dog gets prozac.


For some reason, I am not completely at ease knowing that your sisters dog could be planning a draw down somewhere cause his meds are not in check..

What a strange world we live in..

(0_o)
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:11:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By glockaboom:
My dog's in severe pain, think my doc will perscribe some vicoden?



Great ideas. I've never had a dog that's needed antibiotics but it's good to know.


I think the tylenol will kill the liver on the dog that is in vicodin. im not sure
Top Top