Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 2:14:06 PM EDT
Somewhere along the lines I read a thread where someone was stating that you could get and use animal antibiotics fairly cheap for a SHTF survival scenario. Are there any Doctors on board here who can confirm or deny if these are viable alternatives??

(0_o)
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]

The antibiotics that my dog gets are the same antibiotics that are made for humans...except with a different name.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Our cat takes the same blood pressure med that I do...

Every time I get hurt at work or sick the docs seem to love to give me antibiotics. Usually I don't feel that they are necessary and don't take them. I DO get them filled and store them for a rainy day if needed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#4]
A good friend of mine is a vet, and this topic has come up between him and I several times, he prescribes Amoxicillin ( spelling police are out there so beware) and other drugs, Heck he's even said several vets even prescribe Valium for dogs with anxiety disorders.
What goes in the human world is pretty much the same fare in the animal kingdom too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#5]
My dog's in severe pain,  think my doc will perscribe some vicoden?

Great ideas.  I've never had a dog that's needed antibiotics but it's good to know.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#6]
A lot of medications are interchangeable between animals and humans.  They do prescribe valium for animals w/ anxiety disorders.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#7]
90% of the seemingly credible information I've read says that the pet medications are virtually the same as the human stuff, though it's possible the quality control and/or storage conditions aren't quite as good in some cases.  To be honest, much of the other 10% was posted by "physicians" (not "doctors") who seemed to have an attitude but couldn't seem to point to a source to support their pronouncements.  Still, if I had a choice I'd prefer something from the local Walgreens, but that wasn't the question.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A good friend of mine is a vet, and this topic has come up between him and I several times, he prescribes Amoxicillin ( spelling police are out there so beware) and other drugs, Heck he's even said several vets even prescribe Valium for dogs with anxiety disorders.
What goes in the human world is pretty much the same fare in the animal kingdom too.

my sisters dog gets prozac.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:08:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

my sisters dog gets prozac.

For some reason, I am not completely at ease knowing that your sisters dog could be planning a draw down somewhere cause his meds are not in check..

What a strange world we live in..

(0_o)
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:11:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My dog's in severe pain,  think my doc will perscribe some vicoden?

Great ideas.  I've never had a dog that's needed antibiotics but it's good to know.

I think the tylenol will kill the liver on the dog that is in vicodin.  im not sure
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top