Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/7/2014 9:26:40 PM EDT
I recently read somewhere here (couldn't find it to save my soul) that the best gasoline to store for prepping purposes is ethanol-free. Since I have begun emptying my cans (rotating), I'm curious if it's worth the extra cost and if it preserves better.

I have a place just a short drive away that sells ethanol-free gas.

Also, Sta-bil or Pri-G?

Uses if SHTF would any combination of the following:

- Automobile (2008 4Runner)
- Generator
- Coleman Lantern
- Coleman Camp Stove

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:45:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Ethanol free is good , but you must store it in an airtight sealed container .

You can buy gas in a sealed can now
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey, Zaphod.
My understanding is that ethanol free gas does in fact, store better than the contaminated stuff.
Around here, the ethanol free gas is about ten percent higher than the contaminated stuff.
When I compared my mileage between a tank full of ethanol free, vs a tank full of the contaminated stuff, my Toyota got about a ten percent increase with pure gas.
I suspect that the extra money you pay for ethanol free will be at least to some extent, offset by the higher energy delivered. (Your engines will burn less fuel to accomplish the same amount of work.)

For the Coleman lantern and camp stove, I would bite the money bullet and buy a few cans of Coleman fuel (not the Ozark Trail brand that Wal Mart sells)
The white gas seems to burn cleaner and not smell as much as burning unleaded. Some people say that using unleaded in these appliances cause them to gum up quicker than using naptha. I have
rarely used unleaded gas in mine, so I can't comment from first hand experience.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, this.
A sealed container, like a NATO can is best, no matter what you store.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Gasoline in a Colman Lantern?
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:09:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I've stored multiple NATO 20L cans of 10% alcohol/gas for over five years, untreated, in an uninsulated Texas shed.

When the cans were tapped and used that gas was in no way discernible from fresh gas.

Ran it through a filter looking for varnish and everything.
Looked great. Smelled great. Ran just fine too.

For whatever that's worth.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#7]
All of the gas in my spare cans is premium.
I try to buy it at one of the places that claim to sell ethanol free
I've heard that that's not always the case though.
Anyone been able to confirm cases of fraud in that respect?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:02:06 AM EDT
[#8]
It's pretty commonly available at marinas - Ethanol is hell on boat motors.

If you don't mind getting spendy, avgas is another option - sold at just about any airport.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I store pure premium gas, but that is all i run in my small engines. I store it in 100 pound propane tanks no longer good enough for lp.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:06:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have brand-new NATO 20L cans from DO, so that's not a concern.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:08:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For the Coleman lantern and camp stove, I would bite the money bullet and buy a few cans of Coleman fuel (not the Ozark Trail brand that Wal Mart sells)
The white gas seems to burn cleaner and not smell as much as burning unleaded. Some people say that using unleaded in these appliances cause them to gum up quicker than using naptha. I have
rarely used unleaded gas in mine, so I can't comment from first hand experience.
View Quote

I have a half-dozen gallons of Coleman fuel stored away, too.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:09:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Gasoline in a Colman Lantern?
View Quote

Mine are all dual-fuel.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:10:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I store pure premium gas, but that is all i run in my small engines. I store it in 100 pound propane tanks no longer good enough for lp.
View Quote

How the heck do you manage that one?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:19:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In regards to what?

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:21:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've stored multiple NATO 20L cans of 10% alcohol/gas for over five years, untreated, in an uninsulated Texas shed.

When the cans were tapped and used that gas was in no way discernible from fresh gas.

View Quote

Thanks for cutting through old wives tales, etc.  

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:23:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

In regards to what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In regards to what?

Putting gasoline into propane bottles.

Unless I'm missing something obvious.....
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:49:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Aren't the insides of propane tanks painted?

Will the paint withstand years of gasoline exposure without leaching out?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 2:08:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

They aren't painted - just bare metal.

He must have modified them, by installing adding caps.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:07:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you don't mind getting spendy, avgas is another option - sold at just about any airport.
View Quote

maybe on older motors that havent been repaired in the last 6 or 7 years but all new motors run fine on it and the usual problems werent with the motor, it was with the fuel lines braking down internally. once the fuel lines from the tank to the motors were replaced with new lines designed to work with ethanol the problems, for the most part, went away. my uncles late 70's evinrude never had a mins problem. that might be because we knew of the problems and swapped out fuel lines when ethanol started to become the only thing you could get around here. there were also some internal filters that couldnt handle it but you could buy replacement kits that took care of that as well.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:12:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

^This.^ is the best.

I use Stabil snake oil and a dose of carb cleaner in plastic cans with regular ethanol gas.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:14:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

maybe on older motors that havent been repaired in the last 6 or 7 years but all new motors run fine on it and the usual problems werent with the motor, it was with the fuel lines braking down internally. once the fuel lines from the tank to the motors were replaced with new lines designed to work with ethanol the problems, for the most part, went away. my uncles late 70's evinrude never had a mins problem. that might be because we knew of the problems and swapped out fuel lines when ethanol started to become the only thing you could get around here. there were also some internal filters that couldnt handle it but you could buy replacement kits that took care of that as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

Ethanol is fine for storage.  It won't hurt your engines either.  

As a matter of fact, Mercury (one of if not the largest boat motor manufacturer)  RECOMMENDS ethanol fuel up to 10% in gas as an ideal boat motor fuel.

Fuel lines are made of rubber.  Rubber deteriorates with time.  A lot of those bad fuel lines that were attributed to ethanol are actually just rubber hoses going bad....too old.  Replace them.

Buy which ever fuel you want...it's your money.  But, ethanol gasoline will keep as long as non-ethanol gas just like non-ethanol gas will also go bad, given enough time and exposure to oxygen.  

Keep your fuel clean and well sealed and it'll last a long time....as in years.  Done it many times.

Running ethanol gas will help keep your engine's fuel system cleaner than non-ethanol gas will.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Just started my Oldsmobile the other weekend.  

Last time it ran was about a year ago.

Hooked up the battery, cranked on it a bit to get some oil going, then hit the starter fluid and it fired right up and ran pretty damn clean.
The last time gas went in the tank was some time late 2000.
I think gas keeps a lot longer than people think.*
*Car is in a garage year round.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
But it is $$$ at marinas.
Actually, closest pump to me sells Cam2, but dragstrip isn't that far.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thank you.

As a matter of fact, Mercury (one of if not the largest boat motor manufacturer)  RECOMMENDS ethanol fuel up to 10% in gas as an ideal boat motor fuel.

Fuel lines are made of rubber.  Rubber deteriorates with time.  A lot of those bad fuel lines that were attributed to ethanol are actually just rubber hoses going bad....too old.  Replace them.

Buy which ever fuel you want...it's your money.  But, ethanol gasoline will keep as long as non-ethanol gas just like non-ethanol gas will also go bad, given enough time and exposure to oxygen.  

Keep your fuel clean and well sealed and it'll last a long time....as in years.  Done it many times.

Running ethanol gas will help keep your engine's fuel system cleaner than non-ethanol gas will.
View Quote

Hmmmmm....

By Rick Barrett of the Journal Sentinel

Oct. 31, 2011 |(113) Comments

Makers of outboard marine engines say scores of their products could be ruined if consumers use a fuel mix that contains a higher level of ethanol.

On Tuesday, an engineer from Fond du Lac-based Mercury Marine Corp. is scheduled to testify before a congressional committee that recent engine tests showed severe damage to Mercury products run on a 15% blend of ethanol that's coming to market soon.

The tests showed that three outboards run on an E15 fuel blend were damaged to the point of engine failure, according to the National Marine Manufacturers Association.

Makers of other smaller engines, used on equipment such as lawn mowers, snow throwers and all-terrain vehicles, also have said they believe that a higher ethanol blend in gasoline - scheduled for introduction as early as this fall - could result in catastrophic damage to those products.

Overheating and engine performance issues are among the problems that face owners of outdoor power products if they're mistakenly fueled with E15.

In the Mercury Marine tests, paid for by the Department of Energy, a 200-horsepower outboard engine broke down after less than 300 hours of continuous operation, at full throttle, on the biofuel blend.

"The bearings on a piston disintegrated," said John McKnight, director of environmental and safety compliance for the National Marine Manufacturers Association.

An identical engine powered by gasoline without ethanol was not damaged in the industry-standard test, according to McKnight.

A 300-horsepower Mercury outboard, one of the company's most expensive engines, sustained valve damage after 280 hours of testing, while an identical engine running on gasoline without ethanol wasn't damaged.

A small 9.9-horsepower engine running on ethanol completed the test but also was damaged.

"It was running very poorly," McKnight said. "The results of the testing reinforce the recreational boating industry's significant concern that E15 is not a suitable fuel for marine engines. We expect that additional testing will reveal similar real concerns to fuel tanks and fuel systems."

'Blaze orange warning'

Most gasoline now contains up to 10% ethanol, which is made from corn. The Environmental Protection Agency has approved a 15% blend for newer-model cars and trucks, but it has not extended the fuel waiver to vehicles manufactured before 2001.

It also has not approved the 15% blend for small engines.

"Even as an ethanol guy, my advice to Mercury would be to tell people not to use E15 in their outboard engines," said Ron Lamberty, senior vice president of the American Coalition for Ethanol.

Not only shouldn't they use the 15% blend, it would be a violation of federal law if they did, according to Lamberty.

"There's going to be a blaze orange warning label on the fuel pump," he said.

The biofuels industry has pushed hard for higher ethanol blends in gasoline, saying it's a source of renewable fuel and provides additional income for corn growers.

"We need lawmakers with a broader vision, and a policy discussion that goes beyond engine performance," said Josh Morby, executive director of the Wisconsin Bio Industry Alliance.

The Mercury Marine test is not considered statistically significant, since it used only a handful of outboard engines.

And the tested engines were not calibrated to run on E15, ethanol supporters say.

Ideally, gasoline stations will have fuel dispensers where the consumer could choose an ethanol blend, advocates say, ranging from 10% to E85, which is 85% ethanol. It comes down to consumer choice, they say, and people should have the right to choose whatever fuel they want based on price and engine requirements.

Checking labels

Choosing the wrong fuel by mistake is a big concern, according to small-engine makers.

E15 could damage more than 200 million pieces of outdoor power equipment that were not designed to run on ethanol content higher than 10%, according to the Outdoor Power Equipment Institute, which represents Wisconsin engine manufacturers Briggs & Stratton Co. and Kohler Co.

It's potentially disastrous for boat owners if they put the 15% ethanol blend in their boat's fuel tank while filling the tank of their late-model car or truck.

"I don't think people are naturally inclined to look at all of the labels on a fuel pump to make sure they are putting in the right amount of ethanol," said Mercury Marine spokesman Steve Fleming.

Biofuel advocates say consumers are smart enough to choose the right fuel, and that engine makers should improve their products rather than complain about ethanol.

Small-engine makers say they're testing isobutanol as an alternative to E15.

Like ethanol, it can be made from corn and other organic feedstock. Also, Briggs & Stratton engines tested with a 16% blend of isobutanol in gasoline were not damaged.

Briggs is encouraged by the test results, Todd Teske, chairman, president and CEO said in a news release Friday.

There are 70 million Briggs & Stratton engines that could be adversely affected by E15, according to the company.

"We are very interested in alternative fuels that do not cause damage to the substantial number of engines in use today while lessening the country's dependency on foreign oil," Teske said  

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just unscrew the valve, fill with super siphon, replace valve. Fuel also removed with super siphon.

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then I think you are good to go.

If you fill those cans full, and keep them shut, that gas will likely outlast you.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In regards to what?

What's wrong with putting gas in propane bottles?

I realize that it's something that might scare Sheeple if they heard it, like a bazillion other silly things, however I don't see an issue...

This week I repurposed a Harbor Freight bead blaster tank and mounted it on the side of the container, filled it with Jet A, and feed a vented heater/stove inside we just installed. Took pix and hope to do a topic on it... It's WAY better than the RV propane heater we've used for 6 years... We'll keep it for backup and to keep the container at a nominal 42F during the winter, as always.

That would have the Sheeple running for cover...  

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I running 2 year old gas in my Tacoma that was treated with Pri-G.

Truck is running fine
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#30]
What's in Stabil?

Huh, anyhoo???

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
All of the gas in my spare cans is premium.
I try to buy it at one of the places that claim to sell ethanol free
I've heard that that's not always the case though.
Anyone been able to confirm cases of fraud in that respect?
View Quote

I wouldn't call it fraud....
Our E-0 outlet sent out literature regarding mandated sampling of the fuel and indicated that periodically, the fuel will show trace amounts of Ethanol. They did not elaborate, but I am assuming that the vessels used to transport the E-0 are not dedicated and are shared w/ the crappier gas.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:53:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I realize that it's something that might scare Sheeple if they heard it, like a bazillion other silly things, however I don't see an issue...

This week I repurposed a Harbor Freight bead blaster tank and mounted it on the side of the container, filled it with Jet A, and feed a vented heater/stove inside we just installed. Took pix and hope to do a topic on it... It's WAY better than the RV propane heater we've used for 6 years... We'll keep it for backup and to keep the container at a nominal 42F during the winter, as always.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In regards to what?

I was simply curious as to how he got the gas in. Apparently, he just removes the valve. I'd just never heard of such a thing.

I restocked today with ethanol-free 91 octane. Also topped off the truck. Let's see how well it does.

I will treat what I bought with Sta-Bil simply because I have plenty of it. Once sealed, that will be it for a while.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:55:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I running 2 year old gas in my Tacoma that was treated with Pri-G.

Truck is running fine
View Quote

For what it's worth, I just did the same thing, only it had sta-bil. Zero issues.

As others have said, I think the container is more of a factor than the preservative...
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:54:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
A great source for boats and generators and such. But beware putting it in your automobile.  Some aviation gasolines contain tetraethyllead (lead) and will ruin your catalytic converter.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 2:28:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Thank you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

Nope....just bought a Mercury this year.  The owners manual all but begs you not to use ethanol.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 4:47:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Hmmmmm....

Makers of outboard marine engines say scores of their products could be ruined if consumers use a fuel mix that contains a higher level of ethanol.

On Tuesday, an engineer from Fond du Lac-based Mercury Marine Corp. is scheduled to testify before a congressional committee that recent engine tests showed severe damage to Mercury products run on a 15% blend of ethanol that's coming to market soon.

The tests showed that three outboards run on an E15 fuel blend were damaged to the point of engine failure, according to the National Marine Manufacturers Association.

Makers of other smaller engines, used on equipment such as lawn mowers, snow throwers and all-terrain vehicles, also have said they believe that a higher ethanol blend in gasoline - scheduled for introduction as early as this fall - could result in catastrophic damage to those products.

Overheating and engine performance issues are among the problems that face owners of outdoor power products if they're mistakenly fueled with E15.

In the Mercury Marine tests, paid for by the Department of Energy, a 200-horsepower outboard engine broke down after less than 300 hours of continuous operation, at full throttle, on the biofuel blend.

"The bearings on a piston disintegrated," said John McKnight, director of environmental and safety compliance for the National Marine Manufacturers Association.

An identical engine powered by gasoline without ethanol was not damaged in the industry-standard test, according to McKnight.

A 300-horsepower Mercury outboard, one of the company's most expensive engines, sustained valve damage after 280 hours of testing, while an identical engine running on gasoline without ethanol wasn't damaged.

A small 9.9-horsepower engine running on ethanol completed the test but also was damaged.

"It was running very poorly," McKnight said. "The results of the testing reinforce the recreational boating industry's significant concern that E15 is not a suitable fuel for marine engines. We expect that additional testing will reveal similar real concerns to fuel tanks and fuel systems."

'Blaze orange warning'

Most gasoline now contains up to 10% ethanol, which is made from corn. The Environmental Protection Agency has approved a 15% blend for newer-model cars and trucks, but it has not extended the fuel waiver to vehicles manufactured before 2001.

"Even as an ethanol guy, my advice to Mercury would be to tell people not to use E15 in their outboard engines," said Ron Lamberty, senior vice president of the American Coalition for Ethanol.

Not only shouldn't they use the 15% blend, it would be a violation of federal law if they did, according to Lamberty.

The biofuels industry has pushed hard for higher ethanol blends in gasoline, saying it's a source of renewable fuel and provides additional income for corn growers.

"We need lawmakers with a broader vision, and a policy discussion that goes beyond engine performance," said Josh Morby, executive director of the Wisconsin Bio Industry Alliance.

The Mercury Marine test is not considered statistically significant, since it used only a handful of outboard engines.

And the tested engines were not calibrated to run on E15, ethanol supporters say.

Ideally, gasoline stations will have fuel dispensers where the consumer could choose an ethanol blend, advocates say, ranging from 10% to E85, which is 85% ethanol. It comes down to consumer choice, they say, and people should have the right to choose whatever fuel they want based on price and engine requirements.

Checking labels

Choosing the wrong fuel by mistake is a big concern, according to small-engine makers.

E15 could damage more than 200 million pieces of outdoor power equipment that were not designed to run on ethanol content higher than 10%, according to the Outdoor Power Equipment Institute, which represents Wisconsin engine manufacturers Briggs & Stratton Co. and Kohler Co.

It's potentially disastrous for boat owners if they put the 15% ethanol blend in their boat's fuel tank while filling the tank of their late-model car or truck.

"I don't think people are naturally inclined to look at all of the labels on a fuel pump to make sure they are putting in the right amount of ethanol," said Mercury Marine spokesman Steve Fleming.

Biofuel advocates say consumers are smart enough to choose the right fuel, and that engine makers should improve their products rather than complain about ethanol.

Like ethanol, it can be made from corn and other organic feedstock. Also, Briggs & Stratton engines tested with a 16% blend of isobutanol in gasoline were not damaged.

Briggs is encouraged by the test results, Todd Teske, chairman, president and CEO said in a news release Friday.

There are 70 million Briggs & Stratton engines that could be adversely affected by E15, according to the company.

"We are very interested in alternative fuels that do not cause damage to the substantial number of engines in use today while lessening the country's dependency on foreign oil," Teske said  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

Hmmmmm....

'Blaze orange warning'

Checking labels

Reading is fundamental.  In your article, they are talking about E15.  I'm talking about the standard E10.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 5:02:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Nope....just bought a Mercury this year.  The owners manual all but begs you not to use ethanol.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

Yep.

Let's just see what Mercury has to say shall we?

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2011/december/ethanol.asp

Some high points for your reading pleasure:

Mercury Marine, the world's largest manufacturer of marine engines, recently held a webinar to debunk some of its own myths about ethanol. I attended with interest. The first myth was that there are fuel additives that can prevent all issues associated with ethanol-blended gasoline. For example, no fuel additive can prevent ethanol from acting like a solvent. The second myth was that fuel additives can make stale or phase-separated fuel useable. "Fuel cannot be rejuvenated," Mercury determined, and they noted that it's a myth that ethanol-blended fuels are bad and should be avoided.

"After the transition period from E0, E10 may actually be a superior marine fuel as it tends to keep low levels of water moving through the fuel system, keeping the system 'dry.'"

"E10 Ethanol absolutely IS an acceptable fuel for everyday use."

Then there is this link:
http://www.ejmertaughboatworks.com/ethanol.pdf

Are Mercury engines compatible with ethanol fuels?
The fuel-system components of Mercury engines will withstand up to 10 percent alcohol content in gasoline –
the maximum level currently allowed by the EPA in the U.S. There are some efforts to establish E-20 (20
percent ethanol mixed with 80 gasoline) for use in some areas, but that will require agreement from EPA to
grant a waiver. Part of the EPA waiver process will require verification from studies that demonstrate that higher
levels of ethanol do not create problems with fuel-system materials or operation of hardware. E-20 has not been
extensively studied by Mercury and is not acceptable for use in Mercury products. E-85 fuels must not be used
in any Mercury engines and could seriously damage current Mercury products. It is not legal in the U.S. to
market any ethanol fuel as gasoline if it contains more than 10 percent ethanol.

Will the use of fuels containing ethanol void my engine warranty?
Fuels containing up to 10 percent ethanol are considered acceptable for use in Mercury engines. Fuels
containing higher levels of ethanol are not considered acceptable for use, and the use of fuels containing
ethanol higher than 10 percent can void the warranty.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:36:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Reading is fundamental.  In your article, they are talking about E15.  I'm talking about the standard E10.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

Hmmmmm....

'Blaze orange warning'

Checking labels

Understood, but the current Fed push IS towards E15.

Do you  actually expect a major company to say: "F you Feds  this shit is $%$#", or " We are all about the environment and look forward to working together towards a more efficient, greener future"?

Have spent a lot of time on the water, for work and play.
I STRONGLY recommend a Racor water separator for marine apps.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#39]
I buy standard gas in the winter. Perhaps some of you could confirm, but that is supposedly when the chemicals added to the fuel to reduce emissions are used. I've heard , but have not confirmed that this fuel is less stable and more problematic than the winter blend. I rotate annually through my wife's car and so far have had zero probems.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:11:09 PM EDT
[#40]
This thread has helped me understand the human nature intellect that encouraged Witch Burning a hundred or two years ago.

And worse things in other countries today...

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#41]
So have we established an answer to the question?

It sounds to me like two camps here.

Camp 1: 10% ethanol doesn't matter.  Stabil doesn't matter.  Container matters.

Camp 2: better safe than sorry,  don't store any ethanol and use stabil.  It's not expensive and better than having bad fuel. Container matters.

My long term storage gas is non ethanol however I have 25 gallons of older red blitz cans that I will fill up with gas before any anticipated storm or disruption. I fill them up with E10. Interestingly my champion generator is rated for E 10.  I always thought that small engines were not ethanol friendly.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

Hmmmmm....

'Blaze orange warning'

Checking labels

Those are pretty drastically different positions over only a 5% differences. I will continue to avoid ethanol fuel every time I have the choice for any small engine, marine engine, or anything that doesn't get frequent use.  I do not consider it coincidence that thousands of boats and other small engines required fuel system repair and/or rubber part replacement within months of my state mandating 10% ethanol in our lowest level (87 octane) fuel.  

It seems to me that common sense says that if when ethanol became available it caused problems at the 10% level and everybody on both sides of the industry agree that 15% will cause problems. then I will do my best to keep mine at 0%.

Grove
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

How did you modify the tanks to accommodate gasoline?

Grove
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Grove
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grove

First, get the EPA Fuel Gods to bless them for gas...  

So the Politically Correct EPA Brainwashed Sheeple ----who can't think outside the box ---won't be skeered, if they heard abt it.

Then...

Paint them a different color???  

Or stretch and form them to look like a giant NATO can? So the Sheep feel safe and 'secure' around them....

How the heck would you mod them?????

You take out the valve and pour fuel in the hole.    

With your Tacticool Sheeple Prepper Approved Funnel, from Cabellass.

Then plug the hole with a 3/4" NPT plastic fitting, with a hot water tank pressure relief valve installed set to 18PSI.  

Having replaced the valve seat with Viton...  

Then add a Double Dose of Stabil  uh, Mineral Spirits...

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Those are pretty drastically different positions over only a 5% differences. I will continue to avoid ethanol fuel every time I have the choice for any small engine, marine engine, or anything that doesn't get frequent use.  I do not consider it coincidence that thousands of boats and other small engines required fuel system repair and/or rubber part replacement within months of my state mandating 10% ethanol in our lowest level (87 octane) fuel.  

It seems to me that common sense says that if when ethanol became available it caused problems at the 10% level and everybody on both sides of the industry agree that 15% will cause problems. then I will do my best to keep mine at 0%.

Grove
View Quote

is it that hard to understand that the fuel lines werent rated for ethanol when the fuel companies started adding ethanol to fuel which caused them to brake down? the fuel lines were braking down and small particles were getting into the jets on the cabs and gumming them up and fuel lines were collapsing stopping the flow of fuel. new marine fuel lines are rated for ethanol. its seems that common sense you talk about isnt so common.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Another reason ethanol is blamed for a lot of problems is because ethanol is an excellent solvent.  If you have a neglected fuel system and start running ethanol through it, the ethanol will dissolve some of the gunk.  The gunk has to go somewhere so it goes through the jets.  Jets are very small so it only takes a bit of gunk to clog them.  

The switch to ethanol caused a lot of stopped up carbs....that were going to get stopped up anyway.  But, the ethanol sped up the process.  Once you start using ethanol regularly, the fuel system stays cleaner.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Camp 2: better safe than sorry,  don't store any ethanol and use stabil.  It's not expensive and better than having bad fuel. Container matters.

My long term storage gas is non ethanol however I have 25 gallons of older red blitz cans that I will fill up with gas before any anticipated storm or disruption. I fill them up with E10. Interestingly my champion generator is rated for E 10. I always thought that small engines were not ethanol friendly.  
View Quote

Reference the above in red.....the power of misinformation on the internet is proved again.

Ethanol works fine in small engines.  There are a lot of OLD small engines out there and a few of them may have some rubber components that aren't compatible with ethanol.  Simple fix....replace them.  

Small engines are compatible with ethanol. Ethanol use will ensure that your fuel system stays cleaner.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Reference the above in red.....the power of misinformation on the internet is proved again.

Ethanol works fine in small engines.  There are a lot of OLD small engines out there and a few of them may have some rubber components that aren't compatible with ethanol.  Simple fix....replace them.  

Small engines are compatible with ethanol. Ethanol use will ensure that your fuel system stays cleaner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My long term storage gas is non ethanol however I have 25 gallons of older red blitz cans that I will fill up with gas before any anticipated storm or disruption. I fill them up with E10. Interestingly my champion generator is rated for E 10. I always thought that small engines were not ethanol friendly.  

Briggs and Stratton says their engines straight up aren't made for ethanol.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always use clean, fresh, unleaded gasoline. Briggs & Stratton recommends fuel that is a minimum of 87 octane. Fuels containing up to 10% ethanol or 15% MTBE (methyl tertiary butyl ether) are acceptable. Gasoline containing more than 10% ethanol, such as E85, should NEVER be used.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Always use clean, fresh, unleaded gasoline. Briggs & Stratton recommends fuel that is a minimum of 87 octane. Fuels containing up to 10% ethanol or 15% MTBE (methyl tertiary butyl ether) are acceptable. Gasoline containing more than 10% ethanol, such as E85, should NEVER be used.
http://blog.briggsandstratton.com/ethanol-free-gas-prevent-engine-damage-from-flex-fuel/

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top