Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2013 12:45:02 PM EDT
Been a while since I lurked and posted here.  

Pretty much have everything we need, but always like to stay on top of things.

So, I have a question, what does this board think about an AR-15 PISTOL in bug out bags ?

I checked the archive and did not see thread on it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Been a while since I lurked and posted here.  

Pretty much have everything we need, but always like to stay on top of things.

So, I have a question, what does this board think about an AR-15 PISTOL in bug out bags ?

I checked the archive and did not see thread on it.
View Quote

I'd go with a Draco/AK Pistol...and that's what I did.  However, I replaced it with an SU-16C which accepts AR mags, has a stock, is pretty compact, and it still a pound lighter than an AK pistol.

Just what I did.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#2]
AR pistols are fun but not very practical. Loud as hell also
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Thought that too at one point and went with a 7" RRA pistol. Then I wanted to SBR it but ultimately decided to sell it on Gunbroker  during the panic...Made $675 on that deal.

I would prefer a standard 14.5-16" carbine or a 10.5" SBR. Much more useable IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AR pistols are fun but not very practical. Loud as hell also
View Quote

This too...3' ball of fire out the end of a very short barrel!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I am not a fan of having a firearm as part of a BOB.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I like AR pistols.

For  a  bob, no.  Cant holster it nicely and it is kinna big.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#7]
In before the haters who have difficulty thinking outside the box or their 'experience framework'...

Oh wait!

Wonderful idea for those situations it's practical, and there are many.

A whole lotta firepower in a small package.

See if you can find a carbon fiber Bushmaster, in addition to weighing almost nothing, they are reliable and accurate.

You can put a slightly longer barrel on them as well, Daniel Defense.

A few years ago , see my posts in the archives, a guy at a public range was shooting at steel at 100 yds with an AR15. We got into a contest, me with the pistol with Eotech and him with his carbine, and I was hitting the steel offhand IIRC, more times than him.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In before the haters who have difficulty thinking outside the box or their 'experience framework'...

Oh wait!

Wonderful idea for those situations it's practical, and there are many.

A whole lotta firepower in a small package.

See if you can find a carbon fiber Bushmaster, in addition to weighing almost nothing, they are reliable and accurate.

You can put a slightly longer barrel on them as well, Daniel Defense.

A few years ago , see my posts in the archives, a guy at a public range was shooting at steel at 100 yds with an AR15. We got into a contest, me with the pistol with Eotech and him with his carbine, and I was hitting the steel offhand IIRC, more times than him.

View Quote

Based on my own experience (), I wouldn't totally poo poo AR pistols for folk who can't (for whatever reason) have SBRs, but if you can at all have a stock with it, I personally would opt for the SBR over a pistol 99.9999% of the time.  Stocks exist for a reason, and they do typically aid accuracy considerably.  Even if the guy sucked at the range beside you while you were shooting your pistol, odds are you could have engaged the targets more efficiently had you had a stock.  "Other Guy's" performance notwithstanding.

Valid concerns against SBR/Rifle caliber pistols:

Muzzle blast and flash will definitely be excessive within confined compartments, and even on open ground with ear-pro a 10.5" 5.56  will rattle your mellon when your buddy is firing one right beside you.  A suppressor can go a long ways towards mitigating that though.

Interstate travel with NFA could be a concern for those using SBRs or suppressors.

Reduced ballistic performance could be problematic if you don't use appropriate ammunition.

Everyone's situation is going to be a little different though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#9]
People complain about terminal prrformance, but you van put a 10-12 inch barrel on a pistol lower... Right?

Benefit over SBR: able to cross state lines without informing feds.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
Interesting opinion, care to elaborate on this?

Personally, I EDC a 1911. My GHB (not exactly a BOB) is packed with an AR-7 and ammo/mags for both it and my EDC weapon.

I see no situation where having a LEGAL firearm is bad.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#11]
AR pistols are retarded. practically useless, loud, etc. if high velocity/capacity is what you want, FN 5.7 fits some bills...
also, an ar breaks down pretty small, if it is packed away anyway, why not just have a rifle?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I put together an AR pistol with a 10.5" LMT upper on it. I also put a 2-stage "tactical trigger" (it was an Armalite one I had sitting around). I put an inexpensive red dot on it (Bushnell TRS-25). I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate that little gun is. I ended up having to downsize the buffer I'd put in it (H3) since the LMT was not "over gassed" (as someone pointed out to me). The only thing I haven't done with it yet is put on a compensator. I see a lot of ppl with KX3s, I've got a Spikes Dynacomp I could try, or get a Battlecomp, Supercomp, or a dozen other comps and see which one gives the smallest recoil and barrel rise. With the right comp on it, I'd have no problem hitting what I need to hit out to 200m. Beyond that, my eyesight is going to be the limiting factor anyway.

All in all, I'd say that you get a lot of bang for the buck with an AR pistol.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#13]
8.5" barreled 6.8 or 300blk both have less flash and are more effective than 5.56 out of a simlar barrel. With the right ammo, 95gr TTSX and 110gr VOR-TX, you can get solid expansion at 150+ yards..

I personally carry a M&P9c for bug out but in the right SHTF situation all bets are off on what I'm carrying.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep - The accuracy at moderate distances isn't much different from a rifle.

Although it looks goofy on a pistol, the buffer tube is a definite assent in improving accuracy - It can be used to provide a solid "cheek weld", thereby providing that all-important third support point.

One of the nifty things about AR pistols is that they also accept .22lr conversion kits - Very versatile.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Noveske Diplomat in 300BLK(yeah, I know And it's OK.). Suppressed option. It ain't for everybody, but works great for me. Ya get "creative" with yer hold and these little things can do very well. Thompson has been getting "rifle" accuracy out of handguns for years. But that still is very dependent on the "nut behind the trigger". Get decent optics of your choosing. And nope, it ain't really a practical 5 or 600 yard killer. But I have enough confidence in my longer shooting abilities to feel comfortable "de-motivating" someone further away with this package if needed.
Then again, there's other, better suited stuff for that. Slippin away is much preferable if possible at those distances, anyways. I've become a bigger weenie since living with my RN for a coupla years now and getting edumacated on the small shit that can cost yerazz without proper medical care.
YMMV..   d:^)  Schneeks..
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I want a safari double pistol chambered in 505 Gibbs.

Take that you h8ers
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Franklin armory pistol lower (AR-15) with a Stag 10.5 upper and a Law Tactical folding buffer.   Folded it is very compact.   Placed a Trijicon reflex on it, sighted it in, and it shoots real nice.  

It fits in my Camel bak Talon pack.    That is what got me to thinking and asking what you folks thought.    
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a Franklin armory pistol lower (AR-15) with a Stag 10.5 upper and a Law Tactical folding buffer.   Folded it is very compact.   Placed a Trijicon reflex on it, sighted it in, and it shoots real nice.  

It fits in my Camel bak Talon pack.    That is what got me to thinking and asking what you folks thought.    
View Quote

I think you are set
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#19]
This would do the trick

This has the capability for folding stock and they will be coming out with a 14.5" barrel soon (hopefully)
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Gabe Saurez has been thinking about this. I have one. It does well out to 200 yards. Which is about as far as I can shoot with a reddot (my eyes are crap). Can anyone recommend an effective load for a 5.56 barrel 10.5" oal with a suppressor?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:58:39 AM EDT
[#21]
not worth the effort.  A short barrel, collapsible stocked AR is much better suited.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:53:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Combines the worst characteristics of rifles and pistols.   For rifle work get a real rifle.  To be concealable and handy you need a pistol.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:12:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Combines the worst characteristics of rifles and pistols.   For rifle work get a real rifle.  To be concealable and handy you need a pistol.
View Quote

That's like saying a Corvette combines the worst characteristics of a Yugo and a Mac truck....  

For heavy lifting get a truck. For light loads to the corner store get a Yugo.

Logic, it's what fly's out the window...  

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I was also thinking about travel around this state, which I seem to do frequently now.  

I want the ability to carry a rifle, but if I do I have to put it in a rifle case.  

If I keep it in the truck I'm worried it will get broken into and I will,lose the gun.  

If I bring it into the hotel, they will see the rifle case.  Everyone will know I have a rifle.  

This system seems to allow for discreet carry of a ready to rock rifle without screaming to the world "OMG HE HAS A GUN"

I also shot it last night on the range and fully expected to see a really bright flash.    Nope,   Not what I expected.   Same as my regular 16 in guns.  

I was using standard Winchester Q3131 55 grain hardball.  

The more I shoot this, the more I am liking this little fella.  

My thoughts ? It has a place in my bag depending on where Im going.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:47:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have plenty of M4 types to fill any need.  This fills a niche for traveling, or maybe even as a get home bag (GHB) use.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I was also thinking about travel around this state, which I seem to do frequently now.  

I want the ability to carry a rifle, but if I do I have to put it in a rifle case.  

If I keep it in the truck I'm worried it will get broken into and I will,lose the gun.  

If I bring it into the hotel, they will see the rifle case.  Everyone will know I have a rifle.  

This system seems to allow for discreet carry of a ready to rock rifle without screaming to the world "OMG HE HAS A GUN"

I also shot it last night on the range and fully expected to see a really bright flash.    Nope,   Not what I expected.   Same as my regular 16 in guns.  

View Quote

Yep, a lot of folks think the muzzle flash and the sound are scary and intimidating.

They're not that bad at all and I wonder what those folks do when it gets really scary, like on Halloween coming up?

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Personally, I EDC a 1911. My GHB (not exactly a BOB) is packed with an AR-7 and ammo/mags for both it and my EDC weapon.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure I will elaborate.

I think if you need a gun, you need to have it all the time. Making it part of your BOB makes little sense in that case.

To me a BOB is not a "go out in the woods and live off the land" bag that so many people fantasize it is. Its an addition to whatever you might already have available that you can grab quickly and head off to wherever you need going in a hurry.

Just what good is another gun? In many cases you will be headed to some kind of government (or quasi-government) sponsored shelter where you will not be allowed to have any gun or likely even a knife.

They take up a lot of room in a bag for very little utility.

Plus, I am not real fond of locking up a BOB nor am I real fond of having unsecured firearms (in a BOB for instance).
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:06:42 AM EDT
[#28]
I put one together a couple of years ago, 10.5" RRA barrel, a2 upper, and Spike's foam buffer tube cover.

Within it's limitations it is surprisingly versatile. I feel it is an excellent addition to the arsenal. Would an SBR would be better? Without any doubt.

However the buffer tube against the shoulder works well enough and I don't have to ask the BATF for permission to take my pistol across state lines.

When I want to get a full rifle in and out inconspicuously I use this tool bag.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Screams  ARREST ME
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I put one together a couple of years ago, 10.5" RRA barrel, a2 upper, and Spike's foam buffer tube cover.

Within it's limitations it is surprisingly versatile. I feel it is an excellent addition to the arsenal. Would an SBR would be better? Without any doubt.

However the buffer tube against the shoulder works well enough and I don't have to ask the BATF for permission to take my pistol across state lines.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/Justin-Kase/LowProToolBag1.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/Justin-Kase/LowProToolBag7.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/Justin-Kase/LowProToolBag4.jpg

View Quote

Screams "I'm prepared"  
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do agree that, for the most part, you get the worst characteristics.

Just compare the AK or AR pistol to another handgun and full sized AK/AR to see how they stack up...

AK/AR Pistols vs. Handguns

2-3 times the weight
At least double the size
No real holsters (maybe a shoulder sling and one thigh rig I've seen)
Tons of shit sticking out to get snagged if you do try to conceal it

AK/AR Pistols vs. Rifles

Significantly less velocity (using the same round in both barrels)
Fireballs!  (yes it's cool at the range...Good luck with your followups in low/no light when someone is trying to kill you)
Louder
No shoulder stock (used for aim, weapon, clearing jams, storage, etc)
More attention seeking (legally...good luck if a (ignorant) cop thinks it's an SBR)

Like I said I DID have a Draco in my GHB for years.  This was because the positives were that it was a "pistol" that could penetrate barriers/armor/etc and had a little more distance than say a 9mm.  But in all honesty the main reason I had it was because I THOUGHT it was illegal in my state to have a rifle in the car.  I learned in the past year or so that it's not, the rifle just has to be unloaded and the mags have to be stored separately (like in an outside pouch).  So I switched to an SU-16C which has pretty much all the positives of a rifle AND is lighter than my AK pistol was...plus, when folded up, it's maybe 3-4 inches longer than my Draco was.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

These bags will fit an AR15 Pistol nicely. I have several of the 3-racquet ones branded "Tennis Warehouse." Each one carries an AR15 Pistol. One carries a .300 Blackout Piston Pistol. I look like I am taking a jaunt to the court... Who is suspicious of a tennis racquet?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

These bags will fit an AR15 Pistol nicely. I have several of the 3-racquet ones branded "Tennis Warehouse." Each one carries an AR15 Pistol. One carries a .300 Blackout Piston Pistol. I look like I am taking a jaunt to the court... Who is suspicious of a tennis racquet?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats funny, but so true.  

My superior court judge carries a Kel Tec SU16 CA model in one of those.  

The bailiffs at the court magnetometer think he goes to play racquetball during his lunch break but in reality he is at the range with me shooting.  

(If they only knew...)
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:33:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Many people here fail to see where the (AR) pistol is greater than the SBR route. With my 300blk pistol I can legally carry it loaded and concealed in a vehicle while having terminal ballistics that rival and AK and ideal fire capacity all in a very small package.  It maes a great trunk or truck gun and it fits nicely in my BOB/GHB.  

OP, do it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#35]
When AR pistols first became popular I was a naysayer, but after
I shot one and realized how easy you could make hits with one at 100 yards I became a believer.  

I put together a 10.5 in 300 blk pistol. I want to put a 10.5 inch 5.56 together if I can ever find a cheap barrel for a GHB gun.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Many people here fail to see where the (AR) pistol is greater than the SBR route. With my 300blk pistol I can legally carry it loaded and concealed in a vehicle while having terminal ballistics that rival and AK and ideal fire capacity all in a very small package.  It maes a great trunk or truck gun and it fits nicely in my BOB/GHB.  

OP, do it.
View Quote

You do realize you can carry a rifle concealed here in PA...just have to have the mag(s) on the outside of the bag.  It takes a whole 2-3seconds to unzip, grab the mag and load it.  

That being said, you do what works best for you.  I just wanted to throw an option out there that you may not realize you have.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yep, a lot of folks think the muzzle flash and the sound are scary and intimidating.

They're not that bad at all and I wonder what those folks do when it gets really scary, like on Halloween coming up?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh no Expy, you're right.  They aren't loud at all.  That permanent ringing in my ears that registers 60db in the 2000-4000hz range isn't tinnitus at all.  Those audiologists are totally full of crap.  That must be "Freedom Rock Man!".  

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Oh no Expy, you're right.  They aren't loud at all.  That permanent ringing in my ears that registers 60db in the 2000-4000hz range isn't tinnitus at all.  Those audiologists are totally full of crap.  That must be "Freedom Rock Man!".  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're just SENSITIVE, that's all...  And have a pronounced penchant for twisting words of those you dishagree with.

EXPY/ no ringing in his ears except from a .38 Special he fired in a hallway with concrete block walls yrs ago...    Listening to it right now...

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You're just SENSITIVE, that's all...  And have a pronounced penchant for twisting words of those you dishagree with.

EXPY/ no ringing in his ears except from a .38 Special he fired in a hallway with concrete block walls yrs ago...    Listening to it right now...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you like to take a bet as to which has a higher sound pressure level in a contest between the .38 and a full house 5.56 round discharged from a 10.5" barrel?  I agree with you on a lot of stuff Expy, but bangsticks are a part of my job, and permanent hearing damage isn't cool at all.  I guard what l have left jealously.  Everyone should.

ETA: I do have overly large ears.   Maybe they were more effective at gathering high levels of sound overpressure.  Thenthitive indeed!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Taft, I thought ar pistols were illegal in cali? Do they have the same restrictions as rifles?

For variable
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Taft, I thought ar pistols were illegal in cali? Do they have the same restrictions as rifles?

For variable
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tekhh7Iy-sM
View Quote

Holy Shit!  That's fucking hilarious!  I about shit myself, and now people wonder what the fuck is wrong with me.

Kidding aside, it does indeed kind of sound like that.  Mine is slightly higher pitched, but pretty similar.  And it NEVER goes away.

It sounds very much like this, but isn't a two second clip.  It's on infinite loop:  http://www.fearofphysics.com/Sound/4000hz.mp3
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Screams "I'm prepared"  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/Justin-Kase/LowProToolBag1.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/Justin-Kase/LowProToolBag7.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/Justin-Kase/LowProToolBag4.jpg

Screams "I'm prepared"  

Maybe closer to a whisper

You or the average SF poster might notice but the sheep won't bother to look up from their grazing.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#43]
It is a real problem. The discharge of any firearm indoors can cause hearing damage. The discharge of any shotgun/rifle round without suppression or ear protection indoors will cause permanent and severe hearing loss. James Yeager advocates keeping hardshell earmuffs right on the gun.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Would you like to take a bet as to which has a higher sound pressure level in a contest between the .38 and a full house 5.56 round discharged from a 10.5" barrel?  I agree with you on a lot of stuff Expy, but bangsticks are a part of my job, and permanent hearing damage isn't cool at all.  I guard what l have left jealously.  Everyone should.

ETA: I do have overly large ears.   Maybe they were more effective at gathering high levels of sound overpressure.  Thenthitive indeed!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do agree with you, Variable, re the sound pressure.

There is no doubt the AR pistol is louder. I never said it wasn't.

I just assert, it can be dealt with.

And that there are aps, that having one, can be useful, vs the options.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

For variable
View Quote

Whut??

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Holy Shit!  That's fucking hilarious!  I about shit myself, and now people wonder what the fuck is wrong with me.

Kidding aside, it does indeed kind of sound like that.  Mine is slightly higher pitched, but pretty similar.  And it NEVER goes away.

It sounds very much like this, but isn't a two second clip.  It's on infinite loop:  http://www.fearofphysics.com/Sound/4000hz.mp3
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For variable

Sounds like mine but mine isn't as loud.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

AR pistols are legal in California.  I own one, mainly so I can legally possess all of my short-barreled AR uppers.

They're subject to the same 'assault weapon' ban as ordinary black rifles though.  Must have a magazine lock (bullet button) and you're limited to 10 round magazines.  Even if you have legally grandfathered 30 round magazines, putting one in an AR pistol creates a felonious 'assault weapon' ...

There are some other stupid California-isms about acquisition or manufacture.  Once a lower is a rifle, it can't be converted to a pistol.  But there aren't any AR pistols on the California safe pistol roster, so they can't be manufactured or imported.  They have to be built or imported as single shot handguns, then converted to a magazine-locked form by the owner.  But you can't go out and buy a stripped AR lower because they have to be DROS'd as rifles.  You can do an 80% build yourself, but most people just buy a single-shot exempted gun from one of the handful of CA dealers that make them.

This state's firearm laws suck.  Fortunately I only have to put up with it for a little bit longer.

Back on topic, it would not be my first choice for a carry weapon.  I don't even like shooting it very much at the range.  It's accurate enough, if I sorta shoulder it as a pseudo-SBR.  It's pretty unwieldy held at arm's length like a pistol.  My short 5.56 has a brake (extra baffle for the suppressor) and it's stupid loud.  My short 300BLK has a FH and is better.  My EDC is a handgun.

I own it because it's a legal loophole to own short uppers in this ridiculous state.  When I leave next year, it'll probably get turned into a rifle.  I'm not impressed with AR pistols as practical weapons.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
it would not be my first choice for a carry weapon.  I don't even like shooting it very much at the range.
View Quote

Ever shot it with a .22lr conversion installed?

Try it - I double-dog dare ya!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You do realize you can carry a rifle concealed here in PA...just have to have the mag(s) on the outside of the bag.  It takes a whole 2-3seconds to unzip, grab the mag and load it.  

That being said, you do what works best for you.  I just wanted to throw an option out there that you may not realize you have.  

-Emt1581
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, do it.

-Emt1581

I know, I got it for archery. Can't carry a rifle during archery but can have my pistol if I see another bear too close again this year. I only had my PF9. Bought the Glock 20 and built the 300blk pistol this year to solve this issue in the event that the bear decides s/he doesn't like me.  
I don't go out for rifle season anymore, not unless I get the rare invite to an associates private land and actually get to go out.  

Not all states permit the carrying of rifles, I'm not familiar with OP's laws.

I'm the guy that strung tention lines with a 2x4, a hole saw, the handle of my floor jack and a monkey wrench for the dog run at my mothers.  We fostered a lot of Rottweilers, one named Big Boy was 150lbs and another, Levi, that had a vertical that would make Spud Webb jealous. This fence holds up.

With that said, I don't look at things for what they were made to do but rather what else they can do or what other purpose may it serve.  I guess I'm a tinkerer or jack of all trades sort.  The AR pistol fits that bill very well for me, being I already have a carbine and rifle length varients.

I would also like to add that, after reading the whole thread, the OP does have a pistol. I was just getting my ARFCOM fix before work.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I know, I got it for archery. Can't carry a rifle during archery but can have my pistol if I see another bear too close again this year. I only had my PF9. Bought the Glock 20 and built the 300blk pistol this year to solve this issue in the event that the bear decides s/he doesn't like me.  
I don't go out for rifle season anymore, not unless I get the rare invite to an associates private land and actually get to go out.  

Not all states permit the carrying of rifles, I'm not familiar with OP's laws.

I'm the guy that strung tention lines with a 2x4, a hole saw, the handle of my floor jack and a monkey wrench for the dog run at my mothers.  We fostered a lot of Rottweilers, one named Big Boy was 150lbs and another, Levi, that had a vertical that would make Spud Webb jealous. This fence holds up.

With that said, I don't look at things for what they were made to do but rather what else they can do or what other purpose may it serve.  I guess I'm a tinkerer or jack of all trades sort.  The AR pistol fits that bill very well for me, being I already have a carbine and rifle length varients.

I would also like to add that, after reading the whole thread, the OP does have a pistol. I was just getting my ARFCOM fix before work.
View Quote

I see your point about bear protection.  I was the guy in the hunter's safety course that was worried about the same thing.  So I asked the conservation officer (who seems to have more power than an other LE agency I've heard of!!)...a LOT of specifics about carrying for defense while hunting.  I was told that pistols were fine with a big BUT....the guy said that if I had a Glock, no problem.  If I had a scoped revolver slung across my chest, there'd be some explaining to do.  Again, these guys have a LOT of discretion and authority!  I was amazed/horrified when he talked about warrant-less searches, going on to private property at will, etc!! He said they tried not to abuse it but holy shit!!!   Anyway... bottom line...I wouldn't want to get caught with an AR (pistol or not) slung over my back when hunting with a bow and arrow.  If you get a conservation officer that's a jackass, you could be in some serious trouble until things get ironed out in court.  

I'm not saying it's illegal, because technically it's not...just could cause some trouble.

-Emt1581

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top