BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ever shot it with a .22lr conversion installed?

Try it - I double-dog dare ya!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
it would not be my first choice for a carry weapon.  I don't even like shooting it very much at the range.

Well, ALL guns are fun ... lots of impractical guns are fun.

My brother has a 10/22 charger, which is kinda sorta the same thing as an AR pistol with a 22lr upper.  It's fun.

The question I'll have to answer when I escape this firearm-impaired state are
- Would I rather have an AR pistol or another AR rifle?  I dunno, I have plenty of AR rifles.
- When I can legally shoot my 3 SBRs again, will there ever be a time when I want to shoot the AR pistol again?

The only reason I own an AR pistol is to circumvent stupid CA laws.  It's an OK toy.  As a tool, it's not a device that makes a lot of sense to me on merit.  It certainly won't ever find its way into a BOB, or ever be part of any kind of deliberate plan for self defense.  I have much better tools for that.  Even in California.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
it would not be my first choice for a carry weapon.  I don't even like shooting it very much at the range.

I'll take that as a "No".

"Fun" doesn't begin to describe it  - Try "handy" or "versatile".
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:54:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

"Fun" doesn't begin to describe it - Try "handy" or "versatile".
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it would not be my first choice for a carry weapon. I don't even like shooting it very much at the range.

"Fun" doesn't begin to describe it - Try "handy" or "versatile".

I agree and I have put a Levang on mine. It really helped, IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:54:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with some others that 5.56/223 is especially obnoxious to shoot out of a short barrel and it loses some velocity. Which is what smaller bullets depend on to kill/penetrate. That's why I went with the BLK for the shorty and mostly run 150's down around 1700fps for this "tweener rig.
More oomph, less boom.    Schneeks..
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I see your point about bear protection.  I was the guy in the hunter's safety course that was worried about the same thing.  So I asked the conservation officer (who seems to have more power than an other LE agency I've heard of!!)...a LOT of specifics about carrying for defense while hunting.  I was told that pistols were fine with a big BUT....the guy said that if I had a Glock, no problem.  If I had a scoped revolver slung across my chest, there'd be some explaining to do.  Again, these guys have a LOT of discretion and authority!  I was amazed/horrified when he talked about warrant-less searches, going on to private property at will, etc!! He said they tried not to abuse it but holy shit!!!   Anyway... bottom line...I wouldn't want to get caught with an AR (pistol or not) slung over my back when hunting with a bow and arrow.  If you get a conservation officer that's a jackass, you could be in some serious trouble until things get ironed out in court.  

I'm not saying it's illegal, because technically it's not...just could cause some trouble.

-Emt1581

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know, I got it for archery. Can't carry a rifle during archery but can have my pistol if I see another bear too close again this year. I only had my PF9. Bought the Glock 20 and built the 300blk pistol this year to solve this issue in the event that the bear decides s/he doesn't like me.  
I don't go out for rifle season anymore, not unless I get the rare invite to an associates private land and actually get to go out.  

Not all states permit the carrying of rifles, I'm not familiar with OP's laws.

I'm the guy that strung tention lines with a 2x4, a hole saw, the handle of my floor jack and a monkey wrench for the dog run at my mothers.  We fostered a lot of Rottweilers, one named Big Boy was 150lbs and another, Levi, that had a vertical that would make Spud Webb jealous. This fence holds up.

With that said, I don't look at things for what they were made to do but rather what else they can do or what other purpose may it serve.  I guess I'm a tinkerer or jack of all trades sort.  The AR pistol fits that bill very well for me, being I already have a carbine and rifle length varients.

I would also like to add that, after reading the whole thread, the OP does have a pistol. I was just getting my ARFCOM fix before work.

I see your point about bear protection.  I was the guy in the hunter's safety course that was worried about the same thing.  So I asked the conservation officer (who seems to have more power than an other LE agency I've heard of!!)...a LOT of specifics about carrying for defense while hunting.  I was told that pistols were fine with a big BUT....the guy said that if I had a Glock, no problem.  If I had a scoped revolver slung across my chest, there'd be some explaining to do.  Again, these guys have a LOT of discretion and authority!  I was amazed/horrified when he talked about warrant-less searches, going on to private property at will, etc!! He said they tried not to abuse it but holy shit!!!   Anyway... bottom line...I wouldn't want to get caught with an AR (pistol or not) slung over my back when hunting with a bow and arrow.  If you get a conservation officer that's a jackass, you could be in some serious trouble until things get ironed out in court.  

I'm not saying it's illegal, because technically it's not...just could cause some trouble.

-Emt1581

Yea, I did a little more detailed search and it sure has a bit of gray areas involving it.  My Glock is the primary choice, that was an excuse for the AR pistol. I'm going to contact the game commission and get a hard copy response on the issue. That's something I can print and store with my license in the event of a run in.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Doctor Keim has an interesting study. It reflects outdoor use only.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#9]
So, you AR pistol haters would rather use a Glock 19 or equivalent then an AR pistol when the lights go out and your 100 miles away from home?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So, you AR pistol haters would rather use a Glock 19 or equivalent then an AR pistol when the lights go out and your 100 miles away from home?
View Quote

Define "use".  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I know way too many people that have discharged ARs indoors and have little to no hearing problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The discharge of any shotgun/rifle round without suppression or ear protection indoors will cause permanent and severe hearing loss

I know way too many people that have discharged ARs indoors and have little to no hearing problems.

Anecdotal data - and people you know who you think (or they think) have normal-ish hearing or little-ish hearing loss is barely even that - doesn't trump actual data.  It is not the least bit controversial amongst audiologists that even a single exposure to 170+ dB impulse noise will cause permanent, measurable injury.

Even if you don't "believe" the damage can be permanent, the loss of situational awareness that comes with even momentary deafness is hardly helpful in a self defense situation.

As you wrote, keeping ear pro with the gun is a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, I'll bite.

Exactly how is a 22lr AR pistol "handy" or "versatile" ... what problem does it solve so well?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.

Among other things, how do you think you're going to cover a hundred miles looking like a Rambo wannabe without attracting unwanted attention from every cop and National Guardsman who sees you?

The contraction of "you" and "are" is "you're".
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had a draco and ar pistol.  Both suck ass as a pistol and rock as a sbr. Add a stock or dont bother getting them
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll add my +1 to those who are saying no rifle in a BOB..  I consider that a tactical kit (e.g. zombie apocalypse/red dawn).. a BOB should have a more gray configuration..

for me I have a take down .22 in the trunk (AGP not the factory one).. it could be concealed in a bag or left with the car.. purpose would be small game or for longer shots to supplement a pistol.  if you need a 5.56 mm to get home you are already fucked.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#17]
You need to read up on PA hunting laws as your comment is completely wrong...regardless of what you believe.  It is perfectly legal to carry a side arm while hunting in PA...especially if you have a LTCF.

Quoted:

-Emt1581

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know, I got it for archery. Can't carry a rifle during archery but can have my pistol if I see another bear too close again this year. I only had my PF9. Bought the Glock 20 and built the 300blk pistol this year to solve this issue in the event that the bear decides s/he doesn't like me.  
I don't go out for rifle season anymore, not unless I get the rare invite to an associates private land and actually get to go out.  

Not all states permit the carrying of rifles, I'm not familiar with OP's laws.

I'm the guy that strung tention lines with a 2x4, a hole saw, the handle of my floor jack and a monkey wrench for the dog run at my mothers.  We fostered a lot of Rottweilers, one named Big Boy was 150lbs and another, Levi, that had a vertical that would make Spud Webb jealous. This fence holds up.

With that said, I don't look at things for what they were made to do but rather what else they can do or what other purpose may it serve.  I guess I'm a tinkerer or jack of all trades sort.  The AR pistol fits that bill very well for me, being I already have a carbine and rifle length varients.

I would also like to add that, after reading the whole thread, the OP does have a pistol. I was just getting my ARFCOM fix before work.

-Emt1581

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You need to read up on PA hunting laws as your comment is completely wrong...regardless of what you believe.  It is perfectly legal to carry a side arm while hunting in PA...especially if you have a LTCF.

View Quote

Might want to read the last post on page two...and then maybe edit...maybe not.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Been a while since I lurked and posted here.  

Pretty much have everything we need, but always like to stay on top of things.

So, I have a question, what does this board think about an AR-15 PISTOL in bug out bags ?

I checked the archive and did not see thread on it.
View Quote

Musta missed a few...

Here's some with the seemingly ever present EMOTIONS running strong...  

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=122&t=267583

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=607616

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I put together an AR pistol with a 10.5" LMT upper on it. I also put a 2-stage "tactical trigger" (it was an Armalite one I had sitting around). I put an inexpensive red dot on it (Bushnell TRS-25). I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate that little gun is. I ended up having to downsize the buffer I'd put in it (H3) since the LMT was not "over gassed" (as someone pointed out to me). The only thing I haven't done with it yet is put on a compensator. I see a lot of ppl with KX3s, I've got a Spikes Dynacomp I could try, or get a Battlecomp, Supercomp, or a dozen other comps and see which one gives the smallest recoil and barrel rise. With the right comp on it, I'd have no problem hitting what I need to hit out to 200m. Beyond that, my eyesight is going to be the limiting factor anyway.

All in all, I'd say that you get a lot of bang for the buck with an AR pistol.
View Quote

Really?

200m...with a pistol?

I need to practice more, apparently.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Really?

200m...with a pistol?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I put together an AR pistol with a 10.5" LMT upper on it. I also put a 2-stage "tactical trigger" (it was an Armalite one I had sitting around). I put an inexpensive red dot on it (Bushnell TRS-25). I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate that little gun is. I ended up having to downsize the buffer I'd put in it (H3) since the LMT was not "over gassed" (as someone pointed out to me). The only thing I haven't done with it yet is put on a compensator. I see a lot of ppl with KX3s, I've got a Spikes Dynacomp I could try, or get a Battlecomp, Supercomp, or a dozen other comps and see which one gives the smallest recoil and barrel rise. With the right comp on it, I'd have no problem hitting what I need to hit out to 200m. Beyond that, my eyesight is going to be the limiting factor anyway.

All in all, I'd say that you get a lot of bang for the buck with an AR pistol.

Really?

200m...with a pistol?

It is really is doable. When you build the ar pistol ensure that you have a full length buffer tube wih the foam cover. this allows a repeatable cheek weld. There are a couple different ar pistol bufffer tubes out there. Get the long one. Check the link from before with gabe saurez.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh!  I thought  you were talking pistol shots.  You're talking about firing it like a carbine.  OK.

Either way...doesn't really apply to me.  I'm in California, and I have to jump through too many hoops to assemble an AR pistol here.

For myself, I'd rather have the Glock 19, but I plan on staying as gray as possible.  If I'm heading to a known fight, I'd want the carbine...and if I'm trying to avoid confrontation, I'd want maximum concealment.  

They look like fun, though.  Awesome ZA rig!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top