Link Posted: 3/3/2020 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks @qualityhardware
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I was looking for it and it was like 39 - 40 bucks on Amazon....and I was like...."seriously"..."Gotta be a better way"....

Link Posted: 3/3/2020 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was looking for it and it was like 39 - 40 bucks on Amazon....and I was like...."seriously"..."Gotta be a better way"....

View Quote
I found a copy for $9.95 and it was sitting in my cart. Apparently some copies are collectable, those were the expensive ones. I'm glad I was shopping around for some other stuff and hadn't hit order yet.

So thanks from me as well
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I found a copy for $9.95 and it was sitting in my cart. Apparently some copies are collectable, those were the expensive ones. I'm glad I was shopping around for some other stuff and hadn't hit order yet.

So thanks from me as well
View Quote
I found this and read it a few years ago after I bought my plate carrier.  I went hiking and shooting with it in the mountains around me and thought it was a terrible idea.

Doing some reading about combat weights and loads I started re-thinking how I purchased stuff, now I just want a small chest rig, water on the back and possibly a belt.  And I also got a lot stronger, being strong helped a lot more than cardio.

I also read some of the guerrilla warfare stuff from Mao and others.  one thing that was specifically stated was that at no time should a guerrilla fighter be given 'enough' ammo, you want them to shoot and run.  They need to not have a bunch of ammo to give them the idea it's ok to stand and fight and they need to be light and nimble to quickly get away, preferably to blend in and disappear in a crowd.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
When I started with the Battle Buddy stuff all of a month ago it was my full intent that my load would ultimately include armor. After hiking a total of 21 miles with a 45lbs. pack I'm not sold on that anymore. I'll probably do some hikes with armor and a load just to get it sorted, but it goes back to what was said earlier in the thread- "do I need this?"

In 99% of situations I can think of that 20lbs. of load could be put to much better use.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When I started with the Battle Buddy stuff all of a month ago it was my full intent that my load would ultimately include armor. After hiking a total of 21 miles with a 45lbs. pack I'm not sold on that anymore. I'll probably do some hikes with armor and a load just to get it sorted, but it goes back to what was said earlier in the thread- "do I need this?"

In 99% of situations I can think of that 20lbs. of load could be put to much better use.
View Quote
To be fair, most of us have multiple rifles.  My armor cost about the same as a single budget AR with an aimpoint on it, and weights a total of 10lbs.  It will stop armor piercing incendiary as stand along plates that weigh less than 4.5lbs each.

It sucks hiking with armor on when you already have a bunch of weight on your back.  While I have not personally been shot, having seen other people shot it seems to me that it would suck worse to be shot without armor than to hike with armor and a pack.

That said, just because you have the armor doesn't mean you always have to wear it- and in theory if you are going somewhere you might need armor while wearing a pack, you'll probably be dropping your pack somewhere along the way prior to getting into a fight. All of this is, of course, situation dependent.  There is a reason the hikes do not require armor.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, lighter plates would help, especially considering I'm wearing BALCS soft armor underneath them. Seemed like a nice, versatile setup until I threw a heavy pack into the mix. What I really need is another carrier aimed at shaving weight. Sadly, my budget is not unlimited, but that's now on the list.

In the meantime, I'll train with what I have. In the very unlikely event that I need to get somewhere on my feet in armor and with a pack, my goal is to be mentally and physically prepared to do so. But I also want to put together a pack that puts that load to better use for the more likely scenarios. Starting as I am with pretty much zero experience, I'm just feeling my way along, I appreciate your input.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It sucks hiking with armor on when you already have a bunch of weight on your back.  While I have not personally been shot, having seen other people shot it seems to me that it would suck worse to be shot without armor than to hike with armor and a pack.  
View Quote
I ditch the armor, save the weight, and just carry a small bag of dirt to rub onto the wound.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I joined my first FLBB hike in Orlando this past weekend.

I hiked weightless as I am fat and old.  Also, our only packs around the house are frameless.

Since I'm starting from square one, I settled on this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015TNL00G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The pack arrived today. Overall, happy with my purchase.  The frame has a few scrapes, but the pack looks new or unused.  No stink.  Not dirty.  I consider it a good value for getting started.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#10]
That's what I eventually settled on.  I'm very happy with the pack.  Rides perfect with the hip belt and the wide should straps make a ton of different.

I'm using sandbags (mostly) for weight.  I had been using my Tensing hunting pack with all my gear loaded up, but honestly, for carrying weight, the MOLLE II frame works better for me.

EDIT: And good on you for getting out.  Everyone starts somewhere....I'm fattish and oldish....
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

To be fair, most of us have multiple rifles.  My armor cost about the same as a single budget AR with an aimpoint on it, and weights a total of 10lbs.  It will stop armor piercing incendiary as stand along plates that weigh less than 4.5lbs each.

That said, just because you have the armor doesn't mean you always have to wear it- and in theory if you are going somewhere you might need armor while wearing a pack, you'll probably be dropping your pack somewhere along the way prior to getting into a fight. All of this is, of course, situation dependent.  There is a reason the hikes do not require armor.
View Quote
Do concealable plates require backers?
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's what I eventually settled on.  I'm very happy with the pack.  Rides perfect with the hip belt and the wide should straps make a ton of different.

I'm using sandbags (mostly) for weight.  I had been using my Tensing hunting pack with all my gear loaded up, but honestly, for carrying weight, the MOLLE II frame works better for me.

EDIT: And good on you for getting out.  Everyone starts somewhere....I'm fattish and oldish....
View Quote
You're absolutely right - we all start from somewhere!

The man who can punch a thousand times started punching...once

The man who can hike 100 miles started with...one step

We all have a start, it's the journey and the goal that defines us.  Good for you and all who want to make themselves better, meet and share fellowship with like minded people!
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
...I'm fattish and oldish....
View Quote
Bullshit, you’re a machine, dude. There’s guys out there half your age that couldn’t keep up.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
any thoughts on how / if handicapped folks might participate?

Amputees / prosthesis / etc.

If this isn’t for them, it isn’t, life isn’t fair. Just throwing it out there.
View Quote
It ain't all about rucking and shooting. Support, Intel, local security,, overwatch of resources. Lots of stuff to do.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I joined my first FLBB hike in Orlando this past weekend.

I hiked weightless as I am fat and old.  Also, our only packs around the house are frameless.

Since I'm starting from square one, I settled on this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015TNL00G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The pack arrived today. Overall, happy with my purchase.  The frame has a few scrapes, but the pack looks new or unused.  No stink.  Not dirty.  I consider it a good value for getting started.
View Quote
But, you're out there.

Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Edited picture to show the pink gate, a popular local shooting site:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some do. Mine are stand alone through 7.62 API.

There are some similar to mine slightly cheaper that don't require backers for M855, but do for the API.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It ain't all about rucking and shooting. Support, Intel, local security,, overwatch of resources. Lots of stuff to do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That stuff is coming. Baby steps.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 10:45:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lorazapm for the win!
@TinLeg do you have any folks getting together for hikes?  We're doing a hike then going out to eat and "discuss"...."things".....See if you can meet up with the folks after the hike and go hang out.  This is more about networking and making connections....
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 10:56:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Lorazapm for the win!
@TinLeg do you have any folks getting together for hikes?  We're doing a hike then going out to eat and "discuss"...."things".....See if you can meet up with the folks after the hike and go hang out.  This is more about networking and making connections....
View Quote
Just please remember and reinforce before hikes and other official activities that Battle Buddy hikes are wholly not political, but what you do before or after is on you and not APC sanctioned.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#21]
@Ben, we have done that on and during the hikes.... ;)

EDIT: To be clear, we have indicated that the hikes and sanctioned activities are "non political".  I thought about wearing my MAGA hat at the last hike but didn't for precisely the reason you stated....
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:18:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@Ben, we have done that on and during the hikes.... ;)

EDIT: To be clear, we have indicated that the hikes and sanctioned activities are "non political".  I thought about wearing my MAGA hat at the last hike but didn't for precisely the reason you stated....
View Quote
Thank you. I even ask people to remove VCDL stuff.

We walk a fine line, plenty of people believe our mere premise is political enough.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 12:03:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If this isn't for them, it isn't, life isn't fair. Just throwing it out there.
Laughs in Kelso...

Link Posted: 3/4/2020 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Because we're using military fitness tests.
View Quote
It's tougher than the Navy standard.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 8:17:19 AM EDT
[#25]
In all fairness, i thought the navy had to gain girth to qualify for the chief's coffee cup, or so i had been told.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Organized a group and have a date for our first hike set!
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Organized a group and have a date for our first hike set!
View Quote

Arfcom: when you suffer together
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 11:11:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Central KY finished our first hike today. Attendees were myself, @BOOST, and @Overkill777. BOOST has completed his third rated hike and is now third class.

All of us completed 6+ miles under the time limit with 35+ lb packs and rifles.

He will be running a hike in Louisville next weekend. Anyone in the area should attend.

Link Posted: 3/7/2020 11:48:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Central KY finished our first hike today. Attendees were myself, @BOOST, and @Overkill777. BOOST has completed his third rated hike and is now third class.

He will be running a hike in Louisville next weekend. Anyone in the area should attend.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/330760/IMG_20200307_141350s-1306633.jpg
View Quote
That hill in the picture was some good fun. Glad we tacked that on in addition to the 6 mile ruck.

My favorite was the 45-degree incline on baseball-sized gravel that we climbed right at about the 5.75 mile mark. Whose bright idea was it to do the second lap in the opposite direction so we ended up with that gut check right at the end, anyway?!
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#30]
It’s also a fantastic experience when the peeps you hike with get together to shoot stuff.

Thanks to ctnsupra1 for coordinating the shoot today.

200, 300, 400, 500 yds was fun.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/330760/IMG_20200307_141350s-1306633.jpg
View Quote
@7255
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Louisville is up, in five days.

Join us!
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 6:21:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Is there a NorCal group?  I've got someone from up north interested in participating.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Southern Nevada Thread

Hike last Saturday went well, 8.5 Miles with 45#. 7 came out, 3 with weight. Fun get together and learning happened.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#35]
New and improved American Pioneer Corps Website

Please share it on whatever social media you have!
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Done.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:34:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Treasure valley battle buddies getting on the board with our first hike with 3 people. Today's ruck was a success. @calicontractor @bushamster21 and I made a 6.4 mile loop in 1 hour and 46 minutes. Weather started off pretty awful but cleared up shortly after hitting the path, and didn't start up again until almost to the parking lot.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Treasure valley battle buddies getting on the board with our first hike with 3 people. Today's ruck was a success. @calicontractor @bushamster21 and I made a 6.4 mile loop in 1 hour and 46 minutes. Weather started off pretty awful but cleared up shortly after hitting the path, and didn't start up again until almost to the parking lot.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/369762/0314201015_jpg-1315538.JPG
View Quote
Great job Treasure Valley BB....
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
TREASURE VALLEY BATTLE BUDDIES!
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#41]
FLBB Tampa Bay did our first 6-mile hike today.  It was gonna be 3.4m + 3.4m, but we FRAGOed on the fly!

Link Posted: 3/15/2020 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Our first ruck in Louisville is complete. Temperature was down in the 30s and it rained on us for about 50% of the hike yesterday. Good times, and we completed 6.5 miles in 1 hour and 52 minutes. While this was the first hike at this location, the majority of the participants have now qualified for the Third Class rating.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Our first ruck in Louisville is complete. Temperature was down in the 30s and it rained on us for about 50% of the hike yesterday. Good times, and we completed 6.5 miles in 1 hour and 52 minutes. While this was the first hike at this location, the majority of the participants have now qualified for the Third Class rating.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79706/1B4C0314-F7D9-4EF4-BE15-252F1ADF4256_jpe-1316858.JPG
View Quote
The rain just let you test out the waterproofing gear!
But seriously, kudos to the one hiking in shorts in 30* rain...
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79706/1B4C0314-F7D9-4EF4-BE15-252F1ADF4256_jpe-1316858.JPG
View Quote
Nice
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nice...or not so nice but way to man up and get it done.

After having the wheels come completely off our plan today due to Covid 19 fallout we still managed to get four of us together for a quick 3 miler. Couple more guys made the bump to 3rd class.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Nice...or not so nice but way to man up and get it done.

After having the wheels come completely off our plan today due to Covid 19 fallout we still managed to get four of us together for a quick 3 miler. Couple more guys made the bump to 3rd class.
View Quote
Not to minimize the precautions each man needs to take to keep his family safe, but I think stuff like these rucks are exactly what our society needs. It brings people together - preferably during the good times - to harden our resolve, so that we know who in our communities we can depend on when things go bad.

As I explained it to the wife of one of my close friends the other day:  “I think people are doing this all around the country because we all need at least 10 numbers in our phone contacts that we can call when things go bad. Likewise, I want people to know they can depend on me to be both capable and resourceful, if they ever need to ask me for help.”

People try to tie this to a militia (as if it’s a dirty word), but I think once the networks are really built out, there is so much potential for things like community projects, integration with Disaster & Emergency Services, etc..
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
If it ain't raining, it ain't training!
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Not to minimize the precautions each man needs to take to keep his family safe, but I think stuff like these rucks are exactly what our society needs. It brings people together - preferably during the good times - to harden our resolve, so that we know who in our communities we can depend on when things go bad.

As I explained it to the wife of one of my close friends the other day:  “I think people are doing this all around the country because we all need at least 10 numbers in our phone contacts that we can call when things go bad. Likewise, I want people to know they can depend on me to be both capable and resourceful, if they ever need to ask me for help.”

People try to tie this to a militia (as if it’s a dirty word), but I think once the networks are really built out, there is so much potential for things like community projects, integration with Disaster & Emergency Services, etc..
View Quote
Amen to all of that.

Last week I found out I had to move my daughter out of college on short notice, I had three battle buddies I had known for six weeks asking how they could help and offering to bring extra vehicles for the move. It wasn't necessary as she's renting a furnished apartment and what she actually owns fits in a car load or two, but I was immediately struck by the fact that these are the type of people I want to associate with.

Here's to good people getting together and doing good things.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Boost and redbirdxx nailed it with both of those posts.  Great things are happening.

For the record, I don’t think anyone bailed out of our hike due to concerns about the virus.  I got called into work to build some emergency corona medical infrastructure.  Another guy had to stay home because his wife is under orders not to come to work if she or anyone in her household travels outside of their county.  I hated to miss the hike but it’s good to be part of the team that people call when they need stuff done right now, and done right.  Plus, the pay is pretty good on a Sunday

Bravo to everyone who got out and made things happen this weekend.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top