Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 2:50:57 PM EDT

folks,

first -- i'm not looking to break the law.

i have a BM carbine with the post-ban "fixed" psuedo-telescoping stock.
it's the black KISS carbine in the foreground:
losdos.dyndns.org:8080/ar15/DSCN0972_sm.jpg

i would like to make the stock length about an inch and change shorter.  one, because my arms are short (no jokes please), and two, because my small-framed wife would actually be able to properly position the rifle when shooting.  the stock on my KISS carbine is currently longer than the A1 Vltor clubfoot on my RECCE rifle (the tan one above).

i understand that these types of stocks were sold with rifle extensions, not carbine extensions.  hence, i would first need to buy a carbine extension (and possibly buffer).  

then, i would drive the roll pin(s) from the current setup, and dismount the rifle extension from the lower.  remount the carbine extension, put the stock proper back on, be momentarily a law-breaking person as i have a adjustable stock mounted to my rifle, determine the right length while standing alongside my wife in my basement, and then drill holes in the new extension to once again accept the roll pins.  once the pins are seated, all is well.

does this sound like a plan?

thanks for any comments / hints / been-there-done-that stories / etc.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're talking about the rifle in the lower photo...  I believe you will find that the spring tube goes all the way to the rear of the butt, and if you somehow managed to slide the "stock" forward, the tube would stick out the rear.

What I was going to do way back, to make a shorty only stock was buy a cheap collapsable one. take it apart and load the inside of it up with Marine-Tex and stick it back together in the collapsed position.  Then it would be permanent and no amount of "doin'" could undo it.

Pin and screws don't make things permanent.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#2]
If all you are looking to do is shorten it a inch and a half, you can just shorten the one you have.

Un pin the stock and unscrew the hex bolt.

Slide the stock off.  

There is about 2 inches of solid metal at the end of the receiver extention.  You can verify this by taking the receiver extension off, taking the spring and buffer out and ruler or a stick into the tube and mesuring it against the outside of the R/E.  

You can just hack saw off the end of the extension, sand it down and paint it black.  

Put the stock back on, use a punch to mark where you want the new hole, drill the hole and replace the hex nut.  

Finally drill a small hole for the pin, replace the pin and you are all set.

I had an RRA stock that used a carbine buffer and was able to shorten my stock so it was the length of a collapsed stock.

Then I got serious and went out a bought a Preban
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:16:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Then I got serious and went out a bought a Preban hr

thats my next step too.  i messed around with that fixed bushmaster stock until i just bought a RRA collapsable from the EE,  set it to a better length,  and put two roll pins in it.  to me the $60 was just easier than cutting buffer tube and what not.  thats just what i did.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Since the factory BM tube is full length you won't be in violation of anything with the plastic removed. Still the same OAL.

I use the RRA carbine-buffer fixed stocks, which are A1 length. They have CAR plastic but the M4 style will fit if you drill and tap for the correct position.I've done 2 this way, the most recent this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Other than 'permanently' fixing the stock into postion when you are done, the only other consideration would be the overall length of the rifle. As long as the overall length of the rifle is at or above the minimum legal of 30" you are fine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#6]
NJ Legal Lenght:
Shotgun Barrel not less 18" muzzel to breech
Rifle Barrel not less than 16" muzzle to breech
Shotgun and Rifle Overall lenght not less than 26"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top