Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 7:14:58 AM EDT
Sometimes I can get out from behind my tube when the powers that be turn me loose in the shops so I can do some man-work.

I have been a huge Danner boot fan since my .mil days.

However, it seems that Danner boots are no longer American-made as the last two pair of Danner Quarries that I have purchased were manufactured in China.

The quality really seems to have gone to hell in a hand-basket as the last two pairs of boots I have owned were torturous to break in and the lace eyelets on the bottom fell apart within a few months the leather was thinner and nowhere near as supple and started cracking after only six months of part-time wear.

Any of you guy who spend a lot of time on your feet Army/USMC/Civilian-types have any recommendations?

I typically don't do Redwings as they usually run rather narrow form me.

TIA...
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a pair of White's boots. The best boot I have ever used!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a pair of White's boots. The best boot I have ever used!

I'll 2nd that....NIck's Custom Boots in Spokane is a close front runner, but for off-the-shelf, I *hear* Oakley's (Yes, the sunglasses people) are an outstanding choice.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Look at Danners website for the list of US made boots. I too tried the Channer quarries and found them to be shite.
Just got a pair of American made  Matterhorns with composite safety toe, goretex, nylon upper (think Danner Acadia) from LA Police Gear for under $200. Have to see how they hold up, but for the same price as import garbage...
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I wear a 13 or 14 4EEEE boot and my work boots are Redwings (They can order wides if they don't have them in stock) Whites are also very good boots.

I really miss Santa Rosa boots
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I wear a 13 or 14 4EEEE boot and my work boots are Redwings (They can order wides if they don't have them in stock) Whites are also very good boots.

I really miss Santa Rosa boots

Pfft...

My White's are 12 1/2 FF... Makes the redwing slippers look like baby shoes...

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a pair of the quarry's and they wore out pretty fast.
I now have 2 pair of the Danner Rainforest and love them.
Very comfortable and easy to break in, also, MADE IN AMERICA! hen
For walking and hiking I will stay with the Danners.  If I went back to hard core construction and a lot of dirt work and climbing I'd go with the West Coasts.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in Danners...If you make it down to Portland hit the factory outlet and buy cosmetic or overrun seconds and save a bundle...
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 to the matterhorns.

They've been good to me.

I personally endorse the non insulated variety with gore-tex.

This keeps my feet dry, but I can adjust insulation and warmth with my choice in socks as the weather gets colder in the winter, or lessen the sock insulation as weather warms up in the summer.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Most of Danner's higher end boots are still American made.. I wear Acadia's 99% of the time, and Danner is the boot of choice around these parts.

The chinese crap they put the Danner name on is mostly because they were bought by LaCrosse.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Danner super rainforest, bought at sunbirds for way below retail when everywhere else charges retail.  They were 279 on the website, 219 in sunbirds.  Only get the ones that are made in america, the chinese ones are ok but nowhere near the american in quality.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Here are a few manufacturers of real boots

White's
Viberg
Nicks
Kulien Hand Made Shoes in Centralia

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I build commercial concrete forms for a living and trash boots in about 6 months. Im a huge fan of $40 USGI Intermediate cold weather goretex boots, made by Bates/Rocky, mostly because I can buy 2 pairs a year and be money ahead compared to anything else out there.
I buy mine from Mama San and the Foxhole, new without tags. I stopped buying Danner Ft. Lewis's after I ruined my last pair in less then 9 months.
I've been thinking of buying a pair of Nick's Custom boots this year but havent got around to it just yet. I was shopping White's and Nick's online this morning as a matter of fact.
Botach has Matterhorns on sale currently if you're leaning that direction.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I live in Danners...If you make it down to Portland hit the factory outlet and buy cosmetic or overrun seconds and save a bundle...

You only save on the front end. IIRC, the outlet doesn't give a warranty on their 2nds.

I've been wearing Danners for 22 years. Back then they had a 2 year warranty. At any rate, as a commercial carpenter they won't stay waterproof for 6 months because I live in them. That means I get to take advantage of the warranty, getting two for the price of one. The Super Rain Forrest has a double leather upper making them heavier and heavier duty. It's a quality boot so they don't give them away. Made in USA too.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Correct...No warrany on the seconds. If you can actually use the warranty then 1st are definately worth the money especially if your hard on boots. Cosmetics and Overruns have past the leak test and typically are sold at a little over half of retail. The last Acadias I bought, now that I am mostly as inside guy, were only $100...

ETA Commercial HVAC btw....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top