Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2005 11:53:34 AM EDT
I'm thinking of buying a Glock 19.

I live west of Madison. What gun shops are good places to buy from in this area? What's a good price on a new G19? Thanks!

UPDATE: So last night I was on my way home and I stopped by the local NAPA auto parts store to pick up an oil filter for my car. I had forgotten that they are also a gun dealer. They don't have a lot of guns in stock, but it sounds like they can order stuff in pretty fast.

I asked the guy if he had a G19 and he said no, but he could order it and have it in by Friday. The price for a new 3rd Gen G19 with two 15rd mags and background check came to $499. That sounded like a great deal to me, so I went with it.

I also asked the guys about transfers. They said they will do those too. Long guns are $10 and handguns are $18.

The guy who worked there was very friendly and unlike the stories I hear about a lot of gun stores, he doesn't talk BS. Seems like a real straight guy.

They did have one AR-15 behind the counter, some other bolt actions, a mini 14, a couple of shotguns, a G21, XD-9, and some other handguns. I really didn't have time to look at anything closely though, but the prices all looked very good.

They're located in Mount Horeb just off of 151. If you're ever headed down to Yellowstone to do some shooting you might want to stop by.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#1]
9divdoc is in your area, and is good to deal with.
Last I knew, he had two full sized Glocks that he was ready to part with: a 9mm and a 10mm.
Noone that I know has a G-19 for sale, and I don't know anything about the stores/dealers in the area.
There's a few other folks near you that'll probably chime in and steer you towards a friendly gun store.

Link Posted: 7/25/2005 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
9divdoc is in your area, and is good to deal with.
Last I knew, he had two full sized Glocks that he was ready to part with: a 9mm and a 10mm.
Noone that I know has a G-19 for sale, and I don't know anything about the stores/dealers in the area.
There's a few other folks near you that'll probably chime in and steer you towards a friendly gun store.

Thanks, I'll see if I can IM 9divdoc.

If anyone else knows of any good gun stores to deal with in this area please let me know. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Just South of Madison is a really nice store.  It is eaither called "Russ" or "Rusk".  A friend of mine went from Milw to there to get a beretta.  Look them up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just South of Madison is a really nice store.  It is eaither called "Russ" or "Rusk".  A friend of mine went from Milw to there to get a beretta.  Look them up.

It is Rusk's gun shop.
Nice guys once you get past all the typical gun store bull.
To bad you didn't let us know like a month ago they had a inventory reduction sale.

You can also try the Amo Box in Sun Prairie. Guy is kinda weird but not to bad to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:45:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been to Rusk before, but I haven't bought much from them (only ammo), so I wasn't sure how good they were to deal with. With all the gun shop horror stories I hear I'm pretty distrustful of gun stores. I may run over and check Rusk out and the other places you guys suggested. Thanks!

BTW, I don't want to get ripped off, so what is a fair price on a G19?
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:14:53 AM EDT
[#6]
$500
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#7]
If you don't want to deal with Rusk, you can always go through someone you find online, then talk to Larry at Grampa's Gun shop on Williamson street in downtown Madison. I believe he charges $30 to use his FFL for delivery purposes, but the guy is good to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Only place I saw g17/g19 for $500 locally (Milwaukee-area) was Sportsman's Warehouse in New Berlin.  a more typical small gunshop price is about $540.  I paid $525 + fee/taxes for a 19 at Fletcher's about a month ago.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you don't want to deal with Rusk, you can always go through someone you find online, then talk to Larry at Grampa's Gun shop on Williamson street in downtown Madison. I believe he charges $30 to use his FFL for delivery purposes, but the guy is good to deal with.

The Democratic People's Republik of Madison Law prevents the sale of handguns to and between mere mortals within city limits.  Because heaven forbid we use force to stop those poor downtrodden crackheads, tweakers, and methheads from robbing our homes. . . .
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#10]
This law is confusing. Why then does Rusk still have the ability to sell handguns? Are they considered to be outside of Madison? (I live a block from them, and a friend just bought a .357 SIG from them a week ago)
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Only place I saw g17/g19 for $500 locally (Milwaukee-area) was Sportsman's Warehouse in New Berlin.  a more typical small gunshop price is about $540.  I paid $525 + fee/taxes for a 19 at Fletcher's about a month ago.

Fletcher's is a joke! I have been looking for one for the wife. Walked into Fletchers and looked at a used one for $450 or something. I asked if they had any new? To which they said "no, but they could order me one." I asked how much? They said $600. I should have called him on it, but I did not want to be an ass.

We just got  a new G19 with 2 hi-caps for $494.99 at Midwestern Shooters Supply. Still about the best price for guns and reloading supplies, around. They are Black rifle friendly and large bore friendly as well.
They are in Lomira and would recommend them to anyone. Just ask for Al or Mitch and tell him Todd sent you.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Rusk is technically not in Madison.  The little 'island' strip of land they are on is technically part of Middleton.  ANd they do their damnedest to make sure it stays that way. . . .    
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I suppose I should just get my FFL and start helping other AR15.com members in WI.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#14]
BTT for update
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:43:31 AM EDT
[#15]
OMG!     If you can't fix your car with our parts, we'll sell you a gun to shoot it and put it out of it's misery!!!!!!!!!!

That is too funny.    Good luck on your purchase, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:50:59 AM EDT
[#16]
you did well picking one up for $500.  gander mt in baraboo has them for $550.  i got my 19 from topglock.com and total price including $18 transfer fee was around $485.  enjoy your new glock.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Rusk is technically not in Madison.  The little 'island' strip of land they are on is technically part of Middleton.  ANd they do their damnedest to make sure it stays that way. . . .    

Ah.. wild. That explains alot.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The Democratic People's Republik of Madison Law prevents the sale of handguns to and between mere mortals within city limits.  Because heaven forbid we use force to stop those poor downtrodden crackheads, tweakers, and methheads from robbing our homes. . . .

The only remaining restriction in Madison is a zoning regulation restricting the location of stores that sell handguns. All the other regulations were nullified by the state preemption law.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The only remaining restriction in Madison is a zoning regulation restricting the location of stores that sell handguns. All the other regulations were nullified by the state preemption law.

Uh huh.

Suuure.
Think the Libs around will let a little thing like state law get in their way. . . .

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#20]
There is a new small town shop in Cross Plains west two blocks from Culvers right on Hwy 14
seems to me he does transfers...next time I go through I will stop and ask him and tell him
I will put a plug in for him if he is righteous :)

Thanks for the plug TJ...that's worth another flashlight the next time you guys are in the
neighborhood

Gander in Baraboo is a good place and the gun dept manager is a great guy...their gunsmith
is quite the character to...

Joden's Sports is the place I frequent over in Muscoda on the south side of the bridge...
Also my gas station, grocery store, bait, beer,brats, and sub sandwitch go to place

Ask for Dennis Brown the owner ...Denny likes Glocks and might have a deal on a G19
I thought I saw one in the case a while back..dont know if he sold it yet...what they heck
make him an offer..(though that is probably further than you want to drive)
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#22]
+1 for Lock Stock and Barrel.  I got my 586 from Pete at a gun show.  He'll do transfers on anything he doesn't stock.  He charging me $30 to transfer an AK receiver.

Jim
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:28:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Not to hijack this thread, but I will offer my opinion on both Gander Mountain and Rusk.

Gander Mountain......I bought an AR15 6520 and needed to have a transfer, Ganders does transfers for $25 dollars.  I gave them all the information to make the transfer.  (I figured Gander was local here in Madison and relatively well priced...seeing how Rusk wants $50 for a transfer.  I got a call 5 days later and they said corporate won't allow them to transfer "assualt style weapons".  I am not $hitting either.  That was the last time I went to gander...this was this last December.

Rusk's -  You can buy through the internet, and pay a local FFL dealer to transfer and still save $200 on just about any gun.  

That is my experience and just thought to share

My FFL dealer was Grouse Ridge Sports in Monona.  Found him after the Gander Mountain debacle.  I bought 5 guns through him...he just moved way up north unfortunately for me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I was talking to Pete today of "Lock Stock & Barrel" in Cross Plains, and I am pretty sure he has a G19 in stock

He also related to me that AR15's are his thing..sounds like he has quite a few in stock
as well as Glocks..and lots of parts and accesories..

He also confirmed that he will do transfers for $30..I am taking him up on his offer

Seems like a good guy to business with..

His phone # 608-798-0880
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:24:34 PM EDT
[#25]
One stop shopping,Auto parts and guns.Sweet i need a Napa around here like that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#26]
There is also the Ammo Box in Sun Prairie.  Lots of pistols and AR type weapons.  Guy's name is "Tig" or something like that.  Take the Bristol St. exit off hwy 151.  It's across from the Jung's Garden Center. here

tony
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:08:29 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
There is also the Ammo Box in Sun Prairie.  Lots of pistols and AR type weapons.  Guy's name is "Tig" or something like that.  Take the Bristol St. exit off hwy 151.  It's across from the Jung's Garden Center.

Where is this autoparts/gun store?  I live near Deforest north of Madison.

tony

It's the NAPA autoparts store in Mount Horeb.

I assume you will take 90/94 down to Madison right? Get on the beltline and go west until you get to the Verona Rd./151 exit. Take Verona Rd./151 south out of Madison (you should pass a Home Depot on your right). As soon as you get outside of Madison it becomes 151. Take 151 until you get to the first Mount Horeb exit. There is a chevy dealership right there at the bottom of the exit ramp. Turn right to go into town. Go about a 1/2 mile and iirc the NAPA is the first commercial building on your right, just before Subway.

The guy there seemed really good to deal with. My new 3rd gen G19 was $527 out the door. He also does $10 long gun and $18 handgun transfers. There's not a whole lot in stock, but it only took him a day and a half to get my G19 in. IIRC he did have a G21 and a G17 in stock. I didn't ask the prices though.

The guy's name is Trent. You could try calling there too. The number is (608) 437-4599.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top