Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 6:49:14 PM EDT
What's the area like? How are the locals? Is it overrun with illegals? Local politics? How are taxes/cost of living? Can you hunt the giant mice at the Magic Kingdom?

CO
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#1]
my son is at UCF so heres what he has to say.......near the campus of UCF is turning ghetto, clearmont and outer areas sre really nice, Traffic sucks big time, especially if you have to travel I-4 anytime except btwn ( 2 and 4 am ), more and more migrants are seen daily, cost of living ( lodging and rentals ) has increased about 25 % since the hurricaned a year + ago...hope this helps
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
my son is at UCF so heres what he has to say.......near the campus of UCF is turning ghetto, clearmont and outer areas sre really nice, Traffic sucks big time, especially if you have to travel I-4 anytime except btwn ( 2 and 4 am ), more and more migrants are seen daily, cost of living ( lodging and rentals ) has increased about 25 % since the hurricaned a year + ago...hope this helps

WHat?  Just looks like a bunch of college apartments to me.  

The east side of Orlando is a very nice area IMO.  A lot of new housing and business.  UCF is getting a medical school soon too.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:13:22 AM EDT
[#3]
It's definately NOT the Orlando I loved so much back in the 60's.  

Thanks for nuthin, Tragic Kingdom.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:16:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

There are very few places, if any sat all that haven't changed since the 60's......
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:56:43 AM EDT
[#5]
orlandos like any other fla big city....

tourist
folks from Up north
retired  folsk from up north
illegals of every breed!
stupid ppl
conjestion
bad traffic
crack whores/heads
ect ect ect..

least it doesnt smell like jacksonville does
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:58:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
orlandos like any other fla big city....

tourist
folks from Up north
retired  folsk from up north
illegals of every breed!
stupid ppl
conjestion
bad traffic
crack whores/heads
ect ect ect..

least it doesnt smell like jacksonville does

HAHA well at least we have plenty of land to shoot on and we can just drive 20 minutes and get away from the city. You have to know spanish to live there in Orlandoooo. Jeez's it sounds Spanish. One of my family folk was one of the first people to live in Orlando many moons ago . Crazy how fast that place has grown. You can thank Walt for that. It is not a bad place to live it just crowded.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:24:44 AM EDT
[#7]

My cousin lived there, and recently moved away.  She lived in a very nice-looking gated community, but she said that although it looked nice, most of the residents were scum/illegal.  Drug deals, car theft, vandalism, etc, all were common on the premises.  Granted that was just her community, but she didn't have much positive to say about the rest of the city, either.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:55:06 AM EDT
[#8]
haha you guys crack me up.  I work near UCF, and it in now way resembles a ghetto.  Yeah Traffic does suck, some of the worst drivers I have ever seen.

The problem of illegals and having to speak Spanish here is no where near as bad as it was where I grew up near El Paso, TX so I guess I don't notice it.  At least you can go to Wal-Mart or "your store of choice" here and talk to a majority of the people in English.

The problem is just too damn many people here!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I go to UCF. Yes east Orlando does have some nice places. I've delivered pizza here and been to many nice areas within a few miles of the campus. But everything within 3 miles are apartments.

Crowded...yes
Traffic.....sucks
Walmart.....must speak spanish after midnight

Biggest problem is real estate prices. Houses are rediculous right now but supposed to drop and level out fairly soon.

Oh and my biggest gripe is I have to drive 50 minutes just to get to an outdoor range
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#10]

I love the St. Lootius Avatar
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Oh and my biggest gripe is I have to drive 50 minutes just to get to an outdoor range

OK, thats a problem.  How are the hunting opportunities?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Amen Brother.

They have ruined my hometown and turned it into Miami north.

Glad I got the hell out.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Since they've developed so much of what used to be "hunting land" you're going to pay out the ass to get a lease.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I go to UCF. Yes east Orlando does have some nice places. I've delivered pizza here and been to many nice areas within a few miles of the campus. But everything within 3 miles are apartments.

Crowded...yes
Traffic.....sucks
Walmart.....must speak spanish after midnightHouses
Oh and my biggest gripe is I have to drive 50 minutes just to get to an outdoor range[XX(]

What ? you mean OBT after dark isn't an outdoor shooting range!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since they've developed so much of what used to be "hunting land" you're going to pay out the ass to get a lease.

I don't do leases, I hunt public land.  The state DNR ( or whatever it is in FL) website lists several WMAs.  Does anyone know anything about those?  How about the national forest?

CO
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
[
speaking of the UCF area,anybody remember the bar " the point after" up on 50 ? I had many a good times in that place.
2 points for anybody who knows where my screen name comes from. mmk

Old fish and tackle store on Colonial Drive. On Lake Barton I believe.Got toasted at the Point After many times.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
[
I don't do leases, I hunt public land.  The state DNR ( or whatever it is in FL) website lists several WMAs.  Does anyone know anything about those?  How about the national forest?

CO

I hunted the Ocala National Forest once-the dog hunt area.I shit you not,it sounded like Vietnam.There's obviousely responsible hunters there but there's also a LOT of yahoos that will shoot anything that moves.As far as WMA's,the ones I used to go to were Three Lakes and Bull Creek-vastly overhunted.You can find it if you look hard but look at the man hours hunted versus the deer taken.I believe these figures are usually posted on the website for each particular WMA.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I grew up on the east coast of FL in the Bradenton/Sarasota area, went to college and lived in Daytona Beach, and worked/lived in Orlando last,...........................before I made the BIG MISTAKE in 1990 of moving to Commiefornia, I mean Californicate, I mean CA,.......................all for a job!

Trust me, I can't wait to move back to FL!!!!  I go back home to visit every year, and, yes everything has grown and gotten built up, just like any other place, but let me tell you that any place in FL (except the Miami/"Gold Coast" area) is a million times better than any place here in CA!!!  CA is the worst and most oppressive place that I've ever lived in!  Everything costs alot more than in FL, they tax the hell out of you here in CA, they take CA income taxes out of your paycheck, crime is at least double what it is in most of FL (I checked the stats), gasoline prices in CA are as high as the prices in Hawaii!!!, there are f*****g Mexicans (legal and illegal) EVERYWHERE!, there are Mexican restaurants/taco shacks/burritto shacks EVERYWHERE!!!, the roads are crap in CA, the traffic jams are EVERYWHERE you go, people drive like they're trying to kill you, car wrecks everywhere, gangbangers EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!, gang shootings/crime everywhere, police are EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!, CA car insurance is at least double the rates in FL, home prices are alot higher in CA than in FL!!!!!, etc., etc., etc.!!!!  Need I go on???

I'll take FL over CA any day!  Can't wait to move back!  CA sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vic
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CO

IM sent
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#21]
The place is a big SHIT HOLE !!! NOT a good place to raise kids at all , schools suck , they don't care about kids . I lived near the airport , this place realy sucked .

I moved just a month ago to texas , much better .....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top